TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

I gotta ask a question- my Dad lives in Brooklyn and just told me he heard that they were going to re-hab and re-open the Parachute Jump. Any news on that?

Ā 

Sorry, but there are no plans to re-open the Parachute Jump.

Ā 

There are plans to open "Steeplechase Plaza" which will be at the foot of the Parachute Tower and house the refurbished B&B Carrousel.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1110092#p1110092

Edited by larrygator

I know that the Cyclone is undergoing on-and-off maintenance for the next couple years - is there a set schedule or anything? I'll be spending Easter weekend in Long Island with a friend, and we were planning on making a day trip down to Coney. Just wanted to make sure that the star attraction would be open!

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are local to Coney Island...

Ā 

I'm going to be flying into JFK at 19:40 on a Thursday night in July, apparently one that has Luna Park/Scream Zone open until 23:00.

Ā 

I could probably get there by around 21:30 if all went to plan. Is that realistic for riding the four Luna Park coasters, or am I wasting my time in the attempt?

Ā 

I have the fall back option of going the next day, but it relaxes my trip considerably if I don't have to.

Ā 

Thoughts?

I stopped by Coney Island on the way home today after having lunch with a friend. I just wanted to check out if any work had been done at the base of the parachute jump where the restored B&B Carrousel will reside.

Ā 

There are signs on Luna Park's gates reminding the locals that the park and The Cyclone will open on Palm Sunday, April 1st.

PICT0095.JPG.2f362633f9b3f4dccc84f6048e2a681a.JPG

Enjoy the dirt.

PICT0092.thumb.JPG.d5c78b92836469bf1e43331e011d120d.JPG

It was beautiful weather all day until I got to Coney Island and then the fog rolled in.

Edited by larrygator

• 2 weeks later...

Did any of you make it out for today's opening? One of these years I'll get there early and be one of the first 100 free riders on Cyclone.

Ā 

Here's an article about opening weekend from WNYC Radio.

Ā 

http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-blog/2012/apr/01/will-3rd-season-be-charm-coney-islands-boardwalk-leaseholder/

Ā 

Coney Island's Operator Hopes 3rd Season is the Charm

Ā 

A sure sign that spring is here is the sound of the of the Cyclone roller coaster rattling in Coney Island. The 2012 season officially begins on Sunday and will be operating on weekends until Memorial Day when the seaside amusement areas Luna Park and the Scream Zone open daily.

Ā 

Ā 

This is Central Amusement Internationalā€™s 3rd season as boardwalk leaseholder ā€” operating and overseeing the cityā€™s 6.9 acres in the amusement district.

Ā 

Julia Vitullo-Martin, senior fellow at the Regional Plan Association and director of the Center for Urban Innovation, said its worth watching this season to see if the city's rezoning effort for Coney Island is working.

Ā 

"The city's plan initially looked like quite a success when it first started, and last year some of that success seemed to die down. I think the major question for Coney Island is what's going to happen this year," she explained.

Ā 

CAI President Valerio Ferrari admits bad weather hurt receipts last yearā€™s season, even though a record 11 million people visited in 2011.

Ā 

Ferrari said he hopes this season will see even more visitors.

Ā 

The park will add two new rides: go-carts and a sky-coaster that will pull passengers 100 feet into the air. Theyā€™re scheduled to open on May 24.

Ā 

There will also be new restaurants this season, including Tomā€™s Diner and, a little further from the boardwalk, Grimaldi's Pizza. Old-timer Nathanā€™s Hot Dogs will open a second location on the boardwalk.

Ā 

Longtime Coney Island businesses Rubyā€™s Bar and Grill and Paulā€™s Daughter will also be back this season, after agreeing to major upgrades.

Ā 

Vitullo Martin said she hopes CAI doesn't take the boardwalk makeover too far. "I think the concessionaire needs to think about how to get a mix of retail and a mix of restaurants so that everything is good but everything doesn't look the same."

Ā 

Rubyā€™s co-owner Michael Sarrel said some regular visitors may not recognize the area without the grit. ā€œIt will be cleaner when you walk the boardwalk but you wonā€™t feel that old history as much.ā€

Ā 

Ferrari disagrees. He said the Italian company has learned to appreciate Brooklyn more over the handful of years. ā€œInstead of insisting on a 180 degree change, we are trying to embrace the old but with a new lift.ā€

Ā 

The city is investing millions in infrastructure improvements in the area, according to the Coney Island Development Corporation. CAI has invested another $30 million so far, opening up its two amusement parks.

Edited by larrygator

I know a few were curious if Cyclone would retain it's original colors and if this picture is any indication of things to come it is starting to look like the mighty Cyclone is going to gradually turn brown like the roller coaster in Puyallup has over the years

535269_329929647064307_580716122_n.jpg.39844ee6a65647fb8755d1b1e23d3ac6.jpg

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/158605/coney-island-rides-soar-as-fun-filled-season-begins

Ā 

Summer is still more than two months away, but Coney Island is getting a head start on the season. The neighborhood's amusement parks officially opened Sunday with the annual blessing of the rides, and the traditional egg-cream christening of the Cyclone. The 85-year-old roller coaster was one of several rides to get a makeover.

Ā 

A small crowd waited for hours to be among the first 100 people to ride the famous attraction and got their thrills for free.

Ā 

"Coney Island is the mother of all amusement parks in America. It was the original and still the best. Everyone else follows Coney Island," said Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz.

Ā 

"It's just a nostalgic thing, my family have been coming down here since I was a child, born and raised here on Coney Island. It's just a big thrill that this ride that is 85 years old is still here. It's amazing," said one thrill seeker.

Ā 

Crews replaced 280-feet of track over the winter, and park owners say that makes for a smoother and faster ride.

Ā 

Meanwhile, the Wonder Wheel is also taking on a modern spin this season.

Ā 

Sunday saw most of rides at Coney Island in full swing, including those at another famous staple, Deno's Wonder Wheel Park, which held it's 34th annual Blessing of the Rides. As is their tradition, they welcomed 300 children from Coney Island's Sea and Salt Mission which provides thousands of free meals a month to local kids. They too got to ride for free, including the latest attractions at the family-owned amusement park. As for the Wonder Wheel itself, the swinging cars will once again light up, but this time they will be solar powered.

Ā 

Debuting later this season are new go-kart rides and a trapeze that will swing out over the boardwalk.

Ā 

Now that it's been officially blessed, the park will be open every weekend until Memorial Day. After that it will welcome crowds daily all summer long.

Ā 

For more information on visiting Coney Island, visit coneyislandfunguide.com.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been dreaming of riding this thing for years now, and I finally got to ride it over Easter weekend! All I want from the trackwork is for them to leave that second drop untouched, or at least with the same exact profile - I was all but standing going down that in the third car!!

Ā 

Amazing ride, so glad to see that they're maintaining it with GCI's help so that it can run for plenty more years! Now hopefully one day I can ride for less than $8...but I doubt that!

Mayor Bloomberg has given Zamperla control of another part of Coney Island.

Ā 

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/city_taps_zamperla_to_take_over_zUWRs6D61YYldmcosGnZJJ

Ā 

City taps Zamperla to take over 'Jones Walk'

By RICH CALDER

Last Updated: 6:18 PM, April 19, 2012

Ā 

The city is finally cleaning up a longtime seedy strip near the Coney Island boardwalk that had been filled with rigged carnival games and ripped off beachgoers for years.

Ā 

The city has tapped Zamperla USA -- which already runs Luna Park and much of the amusement district -- to take over ā€œJones Walkā€ by the Bowery and bring 10 new children-themed attractions there. This includes a lazer-maze challenge where kids get to dodge around green-lazers to complete an obstacle course and another attraction in which patrons can shoot their own music video.

Ā 

Upon receiving various complaints late last year, the city cleared out the old-school carnival games ā€“ including one booth called "Gangster Cigars" that was caught ripping customers off on a hidden camera by Arnold Diaz of Fox NYā€™s ā€œShame on You.ā€

Ā 

Patrons would routinely lose hundreds of dollars trying to toss a rigged ping-pong ball through a hole to win a flat-screen TV.

Ā 

The city bought Jones Walk in 2009 and inherited the tenants.

I'm not familiar with the area - is that the strip between Deano's and the Scream Zone? I know that I was endlessly harassed walking down there even if it isn't the same place!

Ā 

*EDIT: I Google Maps-ed it, and I see that it's labeled as the alley-ish area behind Deano's. Does it count for all of Bowery Street, or does it stop when it hits the corner of Deano's? The place I was talking about was the other side of that road, where there's the awkward group of kids' rides and another strip of games.

So that comparison video really does show off the speed, but doesn't it look almost as rough as it was in most parts? I expect a classic woodie to be rough, but I don't want to feel that I could possibly be injured.... did this smooth it more than it seems in the video?

I'm not familiar with the area - is that the strip between Deano's and the Scream Zone? I know that I was endlessly harassed walking down there even if it isn't the same place!

Ā 

*EDIT: I Google Maps-ed it, and I see that it's labeled as the alley-ish area behind Deano's. Does it count for all of Bowery Street, or does it stop when it hits the corner of Deano's? The place I was talking about was the other side of that road, where there's the awkward group of kids' rides and another strip of games.

Ā 

Jones Walk is the walkway directly to the west of Luna Park and north of Deno's

Ā 

As far as what part of Bowery Street will be cleaned up, I believe it is only the strip of Bowery directly north of Deno's. Along Bowery Street, further to the west along Bowery are independent ride operators (Saturn 6, dark ride and a few others) followed by a smaller "park" with kiddie rides.

Ā 

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Surf+Avenue,+New+York,+NY&hl=en&ll=40.575007,-73.978224&spn=0.001088,0.002411&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.136668,79.013672&oq=surf+avenue&t=h&hnear=Surf+Ave,+Brooklyn,+Kings,+New+York&z=19&iwloc=A