TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe (MOA) Discussion Thread

Wow, they really weren't kidding when they said it would be the most themed ride yet, it looks great! The slides look pretty crazy too, but I'm not sure if I would want to pay extra for them. Even though it isn't too much more and $8 for both isn't too bad, paying for a slide just seems..weird.

Actually, admission for the slides is included with Gangplank!

I don't know if you've done the ropes course yet, but it's worth a try. Sits solidly behind Dollywood's for me.

Also, they have been testing a really cool lighting package that you can faintly see from the Webcam, should just add to the whole thing!

I have no idea what to say about that contraption... maybe "my worst enemy" would suffice. But did that just come out of the blue? I don't recall any TMNT or slides in any announcement. Whatever, those slides look intense! I desperately need to head up to Mall of America- it seems to be extremely fun.

• 2 weeks later...

My goal would be to find a way to keep it from spinning too much. Looks like a nice addition to Nick Universe, a park I enjoyed much more than I thought I would back in 2010.

Edited by cfc

• 2 weeks later...
We are heading there in two weeks. I also would have to limit the spinning, but it looks like a lot of fun. Capacity nightmare, though, I assume, when the park is busy.

You can say that again. 6 minutes cycles with 12 pp cycle. We waited about 45 minutes twice in about a 100 foot line. Expect to wait at least that long for a full queue (really not that long of a line, length wise). Nick U is def not known for their motivated employees.

Also, to keep it from flipping at all, you just have to keep your hands off the "wings". Not to difficult really.

Looks a really cool ride. Wouldn't mind trying one of those out.

MOA was an amazing park. Excellent selection of rides, nicely themed all round, brightly coloured and just had a fantastic day when I was there a few years ago.

If I ever fly through MSP again i'll be sure to get a flight with a long delay so I can hop over there and spend more time there!

Neil

It looked very cool and I would have jumped at a chance to ride it about 10 years ago. My body don't do well with rides anymore. So I will just continue to photograph and enjoy the atmosphere.

• 4 months later...

Ok, so I'm headed out to Minnesota for a friend's wedding. During my stay I plan on visiting MOA and Valleyfair on Monday and Tuesday the 13th and the 14th. Me and my boyfriend was wondering if anyone wanted to play guide/friend type person with us? If you decide to go, I'll give you a shot glass from Chicago.

• 8 months later...

I was able to visit MoA on Friday, and spent three hours at Nick U.

-Pepsi Orange Streak-A fun, smooth coaster that is really more about the sights than the ride. 7.5/10

-SpongeBob SquarePants Rock Bottom Plunge-The climb and the drop are really amazing, but the rest of the ride is kind of rough. A pretty thrilling and exciting ride though, definitely the best coaster there. The little themeing around and in the queue is fun. 9/10

-Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles Shell Shock-This ride was the one I was most excited for, because I've never been on anything like it before. It was a pretty boring ride that let me down. It was tough to control the rocking back and forth, and the only notification of how to do so was a group of TVs around the queue. The ride ops told us nothing about how to do so. This is a maintenance nightmare. It broke down multiple times. I don't expect for it to last much longer at the park. The only plus side was its cool view and the themeing of the queue.4/10

-BrainSurge-It was a really fun and unique ride. It really isn't as nauseating as it looks.8.5/10

-Backyardigans Swing-a-Long- Really the same as any other swing ride. It was fun, but turning the seats backwards had really no effect on the ride experience. 5.5/10

Rest of review soon!

• 1 month later...

^^The one we saw on the Oktoberfest trip (I forget which park) had kids making it flip 20+ times...I think it is just one of those things you have to figure out on your own (I doubt the park wants to encourage excessive flipping).

-Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles Shell Shock-This ride was the one I was most excited for, because I've never been on anything like it before. It was a pretty boring ride that let me down. It was tough to control the rocking back and forth, and the only notification of how to do so was a group of TVs around the queue. The ride ops told us nothing about how to do so. This is a maintenance nightmare. It broke down multiple times. I don't expect for it to last much longer at the park. The only plus side was its cool view and the themeing of the queue.4/10

I would agree with you, but you probably sat in the wrong seat. The only seats I managed to get to go upside down were the outside seats in the 2nd and 4th rows. All the others, you can try, but it's not fast enough to go upside down. In the 2nd row, I managed to get flipped repeatedly until the ride slowed down (my arms were sore, it's hard to keep spinning once you get it going!)

• 3 weeks later...

Some quick comments

This morning Nick U as part of there Summer of Turtles had free rides on Shell Shock from 10AM to 1PM for everyone.

Also occurring was "Shell Shock Challenge" where the rider who spins the most would win a annual pass and T Shirt.

9 second place winners would receive 2 wristbands and T shirt.

There where 2 very experienced riders that managed 58 spins each! They each received a annual pass..

I was present with the intent to watch and take advantage of some free rides. Once I took a couple of rides as a public rider I signed up and encountered a rule that hindered my performance. GP can ride with glasses and a strap, contestants can not..

In the end I was in the top 10 with a low 13 spin count, I did much better when I can see! But not enough that it mattered today.

There where a number of people that signed up for the contest and never managed to flip.

Seat selection is important, not all perform as well as others... Outside is easier.

The park does offer hints, but it comes down to skill and experience if you want to spin

After 3 hours of riding it this morning my arms and legs are sore!

Jerry