TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT3] Crystal Arcade 1970 - 31st September (Last Day)

14th May 1963

I went down to Crystal Arcade today; I really wanted to have another look at Flying Turns. Some reviews have been great whilst others have been bad; I am not too sure what I think of the ride right now. Bob Crystal did say they ran into money problems during the construction process, to be fair they must have lost a lot of money due to the council’s actions.

I think the queue and plaza area could really do with some work.

The station also seems a bit plain in my personal opinion.

This give off a better view of Flying Turns.

When you look at a ride like Mine Ride it is visually a lot more impressive.

I guess you could view Coaster as being quite simple as well.

On the other hand I haven’t heard anything but positive reviews about Loop 'O' plane.

Looks like it will only be a temporary addition though.

Guests still seem happy with what Crystal Arcade has to offer.

Signing off, James

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15th August

Today is the last time I’ll be able to get to Crystal Arcade this season, there is no signs of anything new appearing next year so it look like we will have a quite season next year. Hopefully this will mean we will get something big for 1965.

The weather was horrible as normal.

Tommy the token guy is the man for giving you your tokens for rides.

Bob has been rumored to be successful in buying the road in front of the park off the council.

The black sky gives an interesting back ground for Ferris Wheel.

Food Barn is always busy when it’s raining.

This weather is appalling; some indoor attractions could really be beneficial.

Bumper Cars is the only enclosed ride in park.

This fence has been constructed by the old Parachute site;I think its been put there to stop people Wondering into the forest.

Signing off, James.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Feed back would be great as it really does help me improve

1st March 1964

Welcome to another season at Crystal Arcade, there was nothing new installed this year which not really a surprise was considering how much has been invested into the park over the past few years. However over the winter there was news the Bob was successful in buying both the land in front of the park and the road just outside; this means in 1965 we should see a car park for Crystal Arcade.

This will be one of the last times we see the entrance look like this.

I went straight up to the back of the park for a ride on Flying Turns when i noticed this?

This is where those big fences had been put in place at the end of last season, looks like a car park wont be the only thing we are getting in 1965.

Flying Turns, looking as boring as ever.

One for the lift hill enthusiasts.

Through all its negative criticism it still delivers a very fun ride.

Mine Ride still get the longest queues in the park, you can tell why.

I like getting rides on Loop 'O' plane, mainly due to the fact that you never know when it might be gone

And to conclude this update, Ferris Wheel.

Signing off, James

Edited by jakecallan

Did you mean 1964, because I am very confused right now..

Haha, yes it was supposed to be 1964 sorry about the confusion.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 8th June 1964

Took Another trip down to the park had some spare time in the afternoon so i thought why not, i wanted to see if anything had changed on that construction site.

The first thing I notice is this big tank in the middle of the site?

I wonder why they have dug a massive hole.

I had some time to ride Coaster, I just love it.

Queues were long for a work day.

Merry-Go-Round is always forgotten.

Ellie doing her thing.

The best part of Mine Ride in my opinion, the splash down is very refreshing.

I know guests always love it.

Hmm... hope it’s one of those wooden coasters, that would be really cool.

Signing off, James

31st July 1964

Hello my name is Bob Crystal, I am owner and founder of Crystal Arcade. I have been advised that there are a big group of people who would love to find out more about what happens and what will be happening at Crystal Arcade, this is why i have decided to wirte up an annual news letter.

Today i want to talk about what will be coming to Crystal Arcade next year, i also have a few pictures that I have been able to draw to give you an idea of what to expect.

First off we have the car park; there will be space for over 400 cars! we had to buy two public roads off of the council, these amounted to a lot of money.

Here we have the most exciting ride to ever grace the land of Crystal Arcade, Mister Twister. Mister Twister will be the largest ride we at Crystal Arcade have ever worked on, the whole thing is being built by our in house team of engineers. The ride is about 1600 feet long, reaches speeds up to 45 mph and is 55 feet tall.

Here we have are new cafe, Music Cafe. This café will have local music acts performing on its stage whilst be able to overlook the beautiful lake. The cafe will sit adjacent to Mister Twister.

Lastly me and the engineers have come to a bit of a design block, we are basically running out of ideas, well we have a few but what would really be great is to hear your suggestions on what we could possibly bring to Crystal Arcade to make your day at Crystal Arcade even better!

Thanks for reading my news letter, Bob Crystal

Wow! Mister Twister is looking great! The cafe looks, in my opinion, even nicer looking than the coaster! A few ideas, maybe a Schwarzkopf coaster similar to Scorpion at Busch Gardens Tampa or a Vekoma Junior Boomerang like Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission at Drayton Manor.

1st March 1965

Are you guys ready for another update, they have been coming quick and fast yet none have been this big. Welcome to what i consider to be Crystal Arcades biggest year ever!

The brand new car park, it can fit just over 400 cars.

Looks nice for a car park, i guess.

The Entrance received a bit of a change, well the path around it did anyway.

Wow, even though its only 55 feet it looks massive.

The upper area of the park has now really grown to me.

Hmmm... what would you choose?

A new entrance has been put up in front of the queue line, looks a whole lot better then it did.

You can see the difference a bit of foliage can make to a ride.

This is the new section of the upper section which is actually a bit lower then the main upper section.

The Music Cafe looks great!

Interior looks quite cool.

Lots of options on the menu.

Now for what you all want to see, Mister Twister.

Ill let the next few picture speak for themselves.

Here are a few Mister Twister stats

-Mister Twister rises to 55 feet

-Mister Twister is built into a hole that goes 20 feet into the ground

-Mister Twister reaches 55 Mph

-Mister Twister travels through 1600 feet of track

(This is the first time i have attempted to fully custom support a wooden coaster, it took a really long time and was really frustrating. please excuse me if some of the support work looks a bit sloppy).

Thanks for reading, James

This is one of those parks I've been very undecided about. All the pieces are here, but there's little sloppy things that prevent it from getting up to that next level. On Coaster, there's many areas where supports stick through the track, and the basic vertical construction you have for the supports seems a little odd. I don't think they'd have such thick supports, nor as many of them. Mister Twister, it looks great, but your custom supports have some flaws. The biggest is that you used the huge 30mm thickness for all of them, on a coaster which according to its size, should be using primarily 20mm beams, as it's not large enough to warrant 'beefed up' supports. You can use some of the thicker supports, but I wouldn't recommend it on bents and horizontals. I'd use them for your vertical supports primarily. I'd say something similar for your other two wooden coasters, They are all the exact same monotone brown. Don't be afraid to use some color! White works for supports, so does the tan brown. You can use different rail colors. It's subtle things that make or a break a park. Your architecture looks nice, though again, it lacks color and uses the same dark brown. You've made efforts to put in different terrain textures, but you have both extremes. You have areas of lots of grass, and areas with excessive dirt. Blend the areas together and don't forget rock textures in high sloping areas or areas where land has been considerably mangled. And don't forget foliage around your path edges. You've got it in a lot of places, but clean it up a bit. A lot of the in game foliage feels kind of dead but overgrown. Organized planters can still use in game foliage, such as you have in picture 8. But like in picture 6, the area just feels rather dead and uninviting. And last thing, turn up your graphics! I'm sure your computer can handle some sort of anti-aliasing or shadows. Just go to options and adjust it to max before taking pictures.

The park has got some really good points to it. Though they just need some touching up to have me convinced. You're doing great, just don't forget about your aesthetics.

the basic vertical construction you have for the supports seems a little odd. I don't think they'd have such thick supports, nor as many of them. Mister Twister, it looks great, but your custom supports have some flaws. The biggest is that you used the huge 30mm thickness for all of them, on a coaster which according to its size, should be using primarily 20mm beams, as it's not large enough to warrant 'beefed up' supports. You can use some of the thicker supports, but I wouldn't recommend it on bents and horizontals. I'd use them for your vertical supports primarily.

Like i said Mister Twister was quite an experimental ride which has taught me a lot of coaster building lessons, i will also try to take your advice on board when it comes to the next time i build a wooden coaster.

On Coaster, there's many areas where supports stick through the track, and the basic vertical construction you have for the supports seems a little odd.

With Coaster i used Steel Jungle v1, unfortunately those are the thinnest supports i have, also with the coaster track type it is very hard to make the supports look connected to the track without the going through.

I'd say something similar for your other two wooden coasters, They are all the exact same monotone brown. Don't be afraid to use some color! White works for supports, so does the tan brown. You can use different rail colors. It's subtle things that make or a break a park. Your architecture looks nice, though again, it lacks color and uses the same dark brown.

With the whole color thing i was going for a sort of themed area with those 3 roller coasters, when the park expands you should see a lot of different color for rides and buildings. I am glad you like my architecture as i really do struggle to get a building to look nice.

You've made efforts to put in different terrain textures, but you have both extremes. You have areas of lots of grass, and areas with excessive dirt. Blend the areas together and don't forget rock textures in high sloping areas or areas where land has been considerably mangled. And don't forget foliage around your path edges. You've got it in a lot of places, but clean it up a bit. A lot of the in game foliage feels kind of dead but overgrown. Organized planters can still use in game foliage, such as you have in picture 8. But like in picture 6, the area just feels rather dead and uninviting.

I will defiantly have ago at improving the foliage around the park, again its something i really do struggle to make look nice.

And last thing, turn up your graphics! I'm sure your computer can handle some sort of anti-aliasing or shadows. Just go to options and adjust it to max before taking pictures.

Sorted.

Thanks for the criticism, as a big fan of East Side Lagoon it is really great to hear it from you. as it is from everyone else who leaves comments on Crystal Arcade thanks a lot. I know everyone says it but hearing your opinions on my park really does help me improve, Crystal Arcade is a massive learning curve for me in the world of RCT and i only hope to improve on my skills.

Any time! As for your support issues, you may want to use Moby's Framework set and ues a box structure instead. And a solution to your problem may be to locate some flanges. CPcisco made a huge expansion set with every possible height and slope of flanges and such you can think of. A worthy investment to clean up the ride.

Once again guys I’d like to thank you all for your kind words and feedback to Crystal Arcade, in return i promise to continue expanding and attempting making Crystal Arcade one of the most exciting places in the world of RCT3. I still have some massive plans to come as the park grows that I’m sure all of you will enjoy.

Cheers, Jake

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 7th April 1965

After the opening of Mister Twister and Music cafe I decided to give the park a rest as both new attractions were really raking in the crowds, today however after getting in touch with Bob he invited me around the park just before it had opened to get some pictures.

The park doesn’t open for a few hours yet all these cars are here early to avoid the long lines for Mister Twister.

Here is the entrance to one of my favorite places in the world!

There was an amazing sky for these morning shots.

Food Barn preparing for a very busy day.

Helter Skelter now has a sign outside its entrance.

I hope Ferris Wheel never leaves us.

Bob took me to some very exclusive spots in the park; this is Mine Ride in case you were wondering.

The sign post is in the process of being changed. (Thanks for pointing that out CoasterLine)

I am starting to like the entrance to Flying Turns now.

Im not to sure why they have put a windmill in the middle of Mister Twister, Bob just said it looked cool.

This is where i buy my food from at Crystal Arcade.

Bob to me back behind the park to a big hill; I was able to get this really cool shot.

Bob later took me into the maintenance to have a look out around and what they have planned for the next couple of years, i really can’t say much as i was told not to. There really are some exciting things in store maybe not next year but a few years down the line.

Signing off, James

1st August 1965

Welcome to my Second addition to my annual news letter, I have some very disappointing news for many Crystal Arcade lovers. Recently we have run into some serious money issues, this is down to my very silly financial planning and not listening to Paul as much as I should have. Basically what has happened is we are in large debt to the bank and have to sell some assets to cover for it.

Our first casualty is Coaster; we didn’t want to lose Coaster first. Yet we received an amazing offer from a local business man who had found out we were selling rides. I’m not sure what he will do with it, i would say sell for scrap metal but there is no way he would get any profit out of that. With great regret I show you Coasters de-construction.

This was taken a few weeks ago.

Was a horrible sight to witness, something i had built was now going to end up somewhere else, it’s like losing a child.

This was a picture I got today; these are the last two pieces to go.

On a brighter note the money received for Coaster has helped us pay off all our debts and we should be set to complete the remaining season, I hope to see you guys down at Crystal Arcade soon!

Cheers, Bob Crystal

31st August 1965

Hello again, James here. Sorry for no recent updates I have had some very exciting stuff going on in my life, however I shall not bore you with my own doings and instead I shall bring you the next chapter to the Crystal Arcade story. So I decided to hit Crystal Arcade tonight. I love going to Crystal Arcade when its dark, is it just me or do all the rides seem faster?

I love a lit up entrance.

There is a great atmosphere about the place at night.

See what I mean?

I think other guests also love seeing Crystal Arcade lit up.

Queues were very long, didn’t bother me nothing will stop me from getting a night ride on Mine Ride.

When will that new sign be put in?

What do you guys think of Flying Turns new entrance? I personally really like it.

I really like the Music Cafe midway, even more so when it’s all lit up and looking pretty.

Thanks for joining me on the last day of Crystal Arcades 6th season. As far as new rides go I’m not expecting anything for 1966, although I feel a filler attraction to replace coaster would do no harm.

Signing off, James

Hey guys I have some good and bad news,

First off the bad news my computer’s hard drive was completely wiped of all its files the other week because of a virus this means that I lost all of my RCT3 files, however I have spent the last week re-installing custom scenery files.

Regarding the good news I will re-make Crystal Arcade so the story can continue, I am going to bring it to 2008 though so it will be a lot bigger and a lot more modern. This will take a couple of weeks to make so don’t expect many updates anytime soon. Once again I am really sorry but I hope you will all enjoy Crystal Arcade V2.

Here is a little of what to expect.

Cheers, Jake