Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park to reopen Thunderbolt

P5: Opening confirmed for June 15
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Star Wars is gay.

Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park to reopen Thunderbolt

Postby MayTheGForceBeWithYou » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Glenwood Caverns has purchased the Thunderbolt from defunct Celebration City.
Park's Facebook Page

The ride will be renamed "Cliffhanger", and opens in May (sources now say mid June more likely).
Last edited by MayTheGForceBeWithYou on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:45 am.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park to reopen Thunderbolt

Postby TJ27 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:01 pm

I saw this on FB but they didn't really say much about it or where the coaster is from......I loved Glenwood Springs Adventure Park and I'm glad to see that they're getting a new ride.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Shavethewhales » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:26 pm

Nice. You guys should actually enjoy this little coaster, even if it doesn't look like much. There's this great near-vertical dive about half way through that makes it really interesting. Some of the helixs/turnarounds are almost 90 degrees and are taken pretty fast and tight too. All-in-all this is one of my favorite portable coaster models.

On the subject of Celebration City, this is about the last ride to go... All they have left is Wildcat, the S&S Tower, the Mack Supersplash, a couple of kiddie rides, the log flume (in storage) and possibly the flying carpet. All of these rides with the exception of Wildcat, the Supersplash and S&S Tower are still for sale. I assume the later two will be moved to other parks soon and Wildcat will probably bite the dust eventually when the property gets carved up for resale.

This is a great addition for this new little park though. Sounds like another kiddie coaster is in the works as well, along with a ferris wheel. Maybe it will be the start of more new ride additions to come.

Star Wars is gay.

Postby MayTheGForceBeWithYou » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:45 pm

^I've been on Hurricane at SCBB a few times, so I have a basic understanding of the layout. I'm happy to see this place expand, as it has some really cool attractions that have appeared in the last few years (first US alpine coaster installation, Screamin' Swing over edge of cliff, etc).

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 pm

The Hurricane is a pleasingly action-packed compact coaster layout. Some are tame, but I've ridden a couple more intense ones featuring not only the infamous Death Drop, but also a section so jerky it practically felt like an inversion.

I might have to make a full Colorado park tour some year, since this is a bit out-of-range for a quick Denver trip.

After all the rumors, I'm glad this coaster really has a future. Sounds like the park is developing into something really interesting. Hopefully more enthusiasts will take note now that there is a (commonly counted) credit.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:36 pm

I've been to this place...it's actually really cool! I did a trip report on it back a while ago, let me see if I can find it. At the top of the mountain (you have to take a sky ride up to the top) they have a mini homemade screamin' swing thing, a zip line, and really long mountain coaster in addition to the caverns up there. From the looks of it though it looks like they installed the coaster at the bottom of the lift where you buy tickets and everything. I could be wrong though!

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Shavethewhales » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:46 pm

^They haven't installed the coaster yet, it's either still at Celebration City or in transport at the moment. No one I know has driven by CC lately, so I can't say for sure.

It did sound like they were going to put it at the top though, hence the name cliffhanger and the mention of the awesome views from the top.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Shavethewhales wrote:^They haven't installed the coaster yet, it's either still at Celebration City or in transport at the moment. No one I know has driven by CC lately, so I can't say for sure.

It did sound like they were going to put it at the top though, hence the name cliffhanger and the mention of the awesome views from the top.

Okay cool, makes sense. I was just automatically assuming that picture was of the installed ride and it clearly wasn't at the top haha. There's definitely room for it up there, I'm just curious how they're going to get the construction equipment and ride parts up there!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:03 am

Apparently the park is also receiving a kiddie coaster. The name, Wild West Express Coaster, didn't give me any clues as to its origin. Miner Mike, maybe? But the most important question is: will it allow adults? :angel:

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:40 am

cal1br3tto wrote:Apparently the park is also receiving a kiddie coaster. The name, Wild West Express Coaster, didn't give me any clues as to its origin. Miner Mike, maybe? But the most important question is: will it allow adults? :angel:

Doesn't really matter. Big Mike will find a way. He got on Kiddy Coaster at Playland Rye. That's how much magic he has.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club.
Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club
Joined August 17, 2013

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!