TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Splash Adventure (Alabama Adventure) Discussion Thread

^Because the guy that bought the park is just trying to maximize the profit he can make by selling them. If he paid the price AFE was asking for when they put up the parks for sale he will more than make it back just on these rides for sale.

This is the same guy that claimed they spent 5 million building a used boomerang back in 2005, the same guy that announced all these far fetched ideas like a hotel with indoor waterpark, an animal park, a sports complex, etc. and said they were going to move forward with the plans with the money they got for selling the park in 2008 but just a month or so later put all the land up for sale, and the same guy that said they only sold the park because AFE approached them with an offer they couldn't refuse even though they had been shopping the park around for months.

Well this is unfortunate. As someone who'd visited AA/Visionland back in 1999 and 2005, it's sad to see almost all of their non-water stuff (aside from Rampage, an Enterprise, 2 kiddy rides, and a Space Shot tower) offered up like this.

I can't say I was a big fan of the park or its overall ride offerings (aside from Rampage, which was incredible in 99 and still quite good but notably rougher in 05). However, it would still be sad to see what is technically my home park become just a water park, although that had always been its biggest local draw and where most of the additions and attention over the years were focused.

At least the waterpark stuff is decent for a park of their size and scope, but not really enough for a standalone experience IMO. Even the park-based water stuff was quite poor, with dull layouts and very little wetness involved (at least for the flume and rapids ride, I can't speak for the splashdown put in last year; it's probably better for getting wet).

And yes, Rampage is primarily built on a hillside, so moving it elsewhere would probably be very difficult.

^Yes, Rampage was custom built for the terrain, it would be insanely difficult (probably impossible, if not outrageously expensive) to relocate it.

Exactly. If Rampage does close (it's not for sale, though, right?), the practicality of re-locating a woodie that is now 13 seasons old, has been tailor made for a specific location, and the cost associated with having to re-profile it to a new location, just doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

^No, it's not for sale. I heard about this whole sale of rides/closing of the dry side a couple months ago, so I've been preparing for the fact that Rampage will never run again for a while now. Even when I worked there in 2009, I knew the park was on its last few breaths. Surprising it even made it two more seasons if you ask me. It'll be interesting to see how long the water park lasts.

I don't think there are many parks desperately wanting a CCI, known for rough, very unreliable coasters of which millions of dollars needs to be spent to renovate it. Look at what mess Knott's has with GhostRider, a formerly amazing woodie now considered one of the worst.

^ Right, but don't you put some of the blame on Knott's? I mean, parks that seem to have taken good care of their CCI woodies include: Holiday World, Martin's Fantasy Island, Cliff's Amusement Park, Lake Compounce, Wild Adventures, Waterville USA, Indiana Beach, Funtown/Splashtown, Oakwood, Adventureland, Silverwood, and I'd even argue that Michigan's Adventure, Six Flags St. Louis', Parc Asterix's, and even Alabama Adventure's CCI's are still running "ok." Hell, our 2009 ERT on Rampage were some INSANE HOLY F**K rides!

Seriously, yeah, they require a lot of love and care, and there have been some horror stories about them, but if all these other parks are able to keep their woodies running at least "above average", why can't Knott's, Six Flags Mexico, PortAvenutra, Mt Olympus, or any other park that has an older CCI that rides rough as hell?

^agreed on maintenance problem. My once favourite woodie Tonnerre de Zeus was such a letdown last summer... I really hope they return it to its former glory, just as much as Stampida, but I have a feeling for this one, the Kumbak trains are what really screwed up the ride (of course, seaside weather doesn't help)

The thing with CCIs is in order to sell rides as cheap as possible they cut corners. Rampage had to have a lot of additional bracing added over the years. Think about the amount of work some of their other rides had to have done to them. Boulder Dash had to be completely re-tracked and have some support sections completely rebuilt just a few seasons after opening. They can be properly maintained, but you have to commit to spending the time and money in order to keep them running well.

^ Right, but don't you put some of the blame on Knott's? I mean, parks that seem to have taken good care of their CCI woodies include: Holiday World, Martin's Fantasy Island, Cliff's Amusement Park, Lake Compounce, Wild Adventures, Waterville USA, Indiana Beach, Funtown/Splashtown, Oakwood, Adventureland, Silverwood, and I'd even argue that Michigan's Adventure, Six Flags St. Louis', Parc Asterix's, and even Alabama Adventure's CCI's are still running "ok." Hell, our 2009 ERT on Rampage were some INSANE HOLY F**K rides!

Seriously, yeah, they require a lot of love and care, and there have been some horror stories about them, but if all these other parks are able to keep their woodies running at least "above average", why can't Knott's, Six Flags Mexico, PortAvenutra, Mt Olympus, or any other park that has an older CCI that rides rough as hell?

That ERT was absolutely amazing!!!! It's really sad going to Knott's and Mt Olympus and knowing how good those rides were/could be. It's too bad that this is happening. I thought they would be able to pull through and turn the park around. The prices are way too high, but that's sales. Start high and hope for the best. Maybe Prince Desmond has a little extra money to save Rampage as well!

It'll be interesting to see how long the water park lasts.

Sadly, I don't see it being long because of who is running the park. If the original buyer would have got the park, then I would have a lot of faith but not with Kent at the helm.

• 1 month later...

So.. Whats the deal with Alabama Adventure this year? I see that they are selling the dry rides and the dry park will not open this year! Is the selling of the dry rides to make room for newer better ones? or are they just trying to earn as much as they can for this last season, anybody know? they don't communicate with facebook any more.