TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

We can expect the 2012 rollercoaster to be Gerstlauer. Regardless of what track looks like in a drawing, it has been stated in the planning documents it will be a Gerstlauer.

It was also stated in those documents that the ride would have a beyond-vertical drop like it's "sister ride" Saw. So clearly things aren't adding up.

I think when the press release comes out and it says the coaster is Gerstlauer, some of you will still be arguing it is not based off some concept drawing...

If it turns out to be a Gerstlauer, I for one will still be happy, as it will still be another fantastic addition to the UK's coaster lineup!

P.S. It wasn't a Concept Drawing......

My bet for the manufacturer is not on Maurer Sohne or Gerstlauer, but Premier Rides. Premier is known for for launch coasters, and lately, Premier coasters (track and trains) have turned out to look a lot like. When Sky Rocket at Kennywood opened, I thought it was a Maurer, since the trains and track look very similar. My 2 cents is on a Premier.

My bet for the manufacturer is not on Maurer Sohne or Gerstlauer, but Premier Rides. Premier is known for for launch coasters, and lately, Premier coasters (track and trains) have turned out to look a lot like. When Sky Rocket at Kennywood opened, I thought it was a Maurer, since the trains and track look very similar. My 2 cents is on a Premier.

In the planning proposal, it says that sound measurements were taken from Saw at Thorpe Park, which has the same manufacturer and ride type as the propsed SW7. I'm not paraphrasing, that is near enough a direct quote.

I think when the press release comes out and it says the coaster is Gerstlauer, some of you will still be arguing it is not based off some concept drawing...

If it turns out to be a Gerstlauer, I for one will still be happy, as it will still be another fantastic addition to the UK's coaster lineup!

P.S. It wasn't a Concept Drawing......

Sorry, planning proposal plans. Key word being: planning.

And I am not arguing what the coaster in the plans actually looks like. I am just going by the facts we have and that is that it has been reported to have the same manufacturer as Saw.

^The planning documents say:

Noise from the planned new coaster was modelled based on a similar one located at Thorpe Park. The Thorpe Park ride, “Saw” is the same type and manufacturer as the proposed ride, including a “beyond vertical” drop.

It's a little unclear, just because that "beyond vertical drop" bit is included. I'm not saying that it isn't a Gerstlauer, because 90% of that sentence tells me that it is. But then it's iffy, because this one clearly doesn't have a beyond-vertical drop.

Granted, it could just be a poorly-constructed sentence, where the "beyond vertical drop" is only in reference to Saw. Can't blame anyone for overthinking it though, because it isn't very clear.

From the Thi13teen noise report:

[attachment=0]2012-02-01 Replacement Coaster Noise Levels.png[/attachment]

Thi13teen is clearly not a Vekoma Enigma...

This is really bugging me now! Does anyone else reckon it could be Alton Towers trying to mislead people?

That report had more to do with the tyre lift system noises. If the whole thing would be below levels when enclosed it would have been fine outside. Remember Corky was stupidly loud with its lift hill.

Nobody seems to be picking up on the rather frequent Twitter campaign Alton are running at the moment for the new for 2012 attraction...

There is a new dark ride opening up next month, you know.

Phalanx keep updating the feed with various messages, and several pictures have also been released of the ride being placed.

^^ Sub Terra isn't that major or exciting, and after Thi13teen I am ignoring Merlin marketing. The Twitter feed is also very persistent and annoying.

I think it's pretty good. It's very interactive with other accounts, for Alton it's a step in the right direction.

And of course you need to take the marketing with a pinch of salt - but at least have a bit of fun with new rides opening in your own country. May aswell enjoy it!

Alton Towers seem to have released that illusive theming element that wasn't revealed on the original plans. Also, the station building seems to have been made larger and more detail in other aspects of the plans have been made available.

Taken from Towers Times:

The new plans, which are available on the Staffordshire Moorlands Council Planning Portal, give us new insight of what the Secret Weapon 7 theme will be.

The new documents show the previously unreleased large theming object that will be in the middle of the ride area. The planning documents describe the theming element as:

The theming complements the industrial nature of the station/maintenance building and comprises a 'spider like' structure with siz legs that extend from the central core (the legs are fixed and do not have any movement). The coaster track winds through the themed structure and is a important component of the proposed attraction.

The station building has now increased in size, compared with the original planning documents due to operational and health and safety reasons.

The new planning documents also reveal that there will be a number of mesh canopies around the queue and ride area.

Full article here.

You can also see all planning documents here.

sw73.png.ed2547754992ee5d2ee6f4e7925ee90c.png

sw74.png.f19449fcba8c43658e2b999bb12a44a3.png

sw75.png.650abbda59a98b37389e88fcb59ad0f1.png

Well didn't see this coming. A building looking like a spider brings me one question: Why? Must say I like the station somehow, its nothing special but it isn't over done either. Can't wait for the start of this coaster. By the way they haven't announced the manufacture jet: did they?

^^ Sub Terra isn't that major or exciting, and after Thi13teen I am ignoring Merlin marketing. The Twitter feed is also very persistent and annoying.

Just because Th13teen wasn't correctly marketed doesn't mean you have to ignore this one. It's actually quite cool, and carries on the Nemisis theme quite well with what we've seen so far.

AS for those pictures...

Didn't someone mentioned War of the Worlds as a possible theme for the coaster? That little spider tower reminds me a LOT of the Alien Vehicles from WoTW.

^ I feel, as an enthusiast, that I don't need to follow marketing. I know of all the major additions to UK parks, and I don't need a park to generate excitement for me, I am either excited by a project or not. I will go to Alton Towers quite a lot this year and ride Sub Terra once or twice and that will probably be it. I didn't really see the point in Extremis, I found it a bit meh (the drop was good though).

Another thing: this will probably bring all the guests to Forbidden Valley, right next to Nemesis. That will mean bigger queues on Nemesis (a similar thing happened with Thi13teen & Rita).

I love Alton Towers to bits but I just find it so hard to get excited about this, I mean if I want to ride a drop ride I can go to Drayton Manor and ride one of the best in the world.

- - - - -

SW7 is looking absolutely amazing, although as said on the SW7 Facebook page, a roller coaster themed around a large creature seems a bit too familiar: COUGHNEMESISCOUGH!

Sub Terra looks kinda cool, I didnt actually know about it being a dark ride/drop tower until now. I just assumed it was a normal dark ride, and I didnt know the name was sub terra. When was that name released? I always knew it as Nemesis: What Lies Beneath.

Nemesis: What Lies Beneath was the "promo" name. Example: LC12 (Thorpe Park) is now called Swarm.

RE: Sub-Terra - Alton will not be advertising this clear cut as a ride. It's an "experience" / "attraction".

Anyway, they have been carrying out some marketing stunts in a shopping centre in London. I quite like it, as it's better than what they have sometimes done in the past and brought in some Z list celebrity like they did with 13:

Edited by StealthFan