TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier Discussion Thread

My best guesstimate would be opening the week before Memorial Day to help iron out the kinks, regardless of when it opens, I'll be there!

I don't need to guess as the owner already told us the opening date:

Developer and restauranteur Tilman Fertitt held a press conference today to reveal more details about the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier which is schedule to open Memorial Day weekend of 2012.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait for memorial day weekend.

The Houston area will be finally getting a second decent roller coaster. The Pleasure Pier will definitely do well. The closest major amusement park to Houston is in San Antonio which is about 3 hours away. Houston is the 4th largest city in the US in population (size wise I think we may beat Rhode Island). It is spread out and resembles a lot like Los Angeles with a similar international mix of residents. We are like LA with bad weather. Since the loss of Six Flags Astroworld, there has been a void as far as amusement parks go. I see the Pleasure Pier getting packed to capacity just like the Kemah Boardwalk.

I did not see this in the news article or posted in the thread yet, but, it has been confirmed to me on their Facebook page that the coaster from Gerst is indeed a Eurofighter.

Chad Carter Gerstlauer?

about an hour ago · Like

Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier Yes Chad it is...Eurofighter

13 minutes ago · Unlike · 1

Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier Some of the beams are just holding it up (like a model)....

12 minutes ago · Unlike · 1

Facebook

395749_285828574815399_177272299004361_823165_1547577040_n.jpg.d53970ba60aea4f43f419f5d157b6465.jpg

being assembled before being shipped

409195_285828548148735_177272299004361_823164_327088786_n.jpg.1e8c6ebf9a19c2820be8b0cf50ae0d08.jpg

430805_285828521482071_177272299004361_823163_135660247_n.thumb.jpg.a7080e089806131aa70118917ecdbf63.jpg

Hmm so they're painting it during Construction, love the blue track.

Also I see the Pier will have a Ring of Fire does any one remember I think it was like IAAPA '99 (I know ages ago lol) when the manufacture displayed a model of a floorless version I wounder what ever happened to that?

Meh, maybe not the 'dark horse' of 2012 that I imagined. I know it's a pier coaster, but it needs a little more length than that to make me feel like I'm getting my money's worth. It can't be much, if at all, shorter than the standard Rage model, but for some reason that layout feels more complete than this one. I feel like I'm just getting into it when it hits the breaks. At least the elements it does have are pretty cool.

The layout is definitely unique, but as said, it seems to be missing something. Granted, they can only do so much given the location, but the ride is essentially just inversions after the drop. It just seems odd. That being said, while it is odd, I must say that it is one of the most creative designs I've seen.

LA Times is reporting the following descriptions of the major rides. Just in case it wasn't clear from the map and Page 7 of this thread.

Iron Shark — A Gerstlauer Eurofighter steel roller coaster with a 100-foot vertical lift, a beyond vertical drop and four inversions. Coaster trains reach 50 mph over the 1,300-foot-long track that includes a diving loop and a backstretch that cantilevers over the water.

Texas Star Flyer — The 200-foot-tall Funtime Star Flyer is being billed as the tallest tower swing ride in Texas. Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio is home to a similar ride called SkyScreamer.

Galaxy Wheel — The 100-foot-tall Chance Morgan Ferris wheel at the end of the pier features programmable LED lights.

Pirate's Plunge — A twin-drop log flume built by Interlink with an initial 22-foot descent and a 42-foot finale.

Carousel — A Chance Morgan double-decker merry-go-round with ride-on sea creatures, horses and chariots.

Gulf Glider — A 22-foot-tall Bertazzon wave swinger featuring single and double seats.

Revolution — The 60-foot-tall Chance Morgan Revolution pendulum claw ride swings out over the water.

Sky Shooter — The SBF Visa Airborne Shot lets riders control the "fly-out" feature of the arms on the spinning thrill ride.

Cyclone — The 60-foot-tall Larson International Fireball travels forward and backward at 25 mph around a ring-of-fire-style loop.

Rock & Roll — The Bertazzon Musik Express-style ride features hot rods that travel forward and backward around an alpine bobsled-style loop.

Sea Dragon — The Chance Morgan pirate ship-style ride reaches 50 feet in the air as it swings out over the water.

Pier Pileup — The Bertazzon bumper cars feature antique and classic cars with separate ride areas for kids and adults.

Frog Hopper — A 22-foot-tall S&S Power kiddie drop tower.

Texas Tea — A Zamperla tea cup similar to the ride at Coney Island's Luna Park.

Edited by larrygator

Ah, so Chance Morgan also makes double-decker carousels. For some reason I'd assumed Bertazzon (and Felimana) owned that market. Just another one of those generic ride styles, I guess.

Sounds like a decent ride collection. I'm particularly interested in the Larson Fireball, as it doesn't seem too many parks have that style of ride. I'm also glad to see some rides will swing out over the water for great views and added thrills.

• 1 month later...

I love how they are designing some of the rides to go out over the water...especially the coaster and Revolution. I would imagine that the Star Flyer swinging over part of the water will be awesome too...despite the fact that they scare the crap out of me!

In case anyone wants to take a look at construction on the pier, streaming cam at http://www.galveston.com/wavevideocam/ . I hangs up now and then, so just click on Wave up top under the video cam choices. It zooms in and out and along the pier and beach every 5-10 mins, so sometimes you have to wait for it to come back around to the pier...but gives pretty good look at what's going on.

We saw on facebook that the Iron Shark was topped off late last week so we took a quick trip to Galveston on Saturday to check out the construction progress. The last time we saw the pier, there was a big ugly hotel on it. Now it is nothing but concrete, steel, and tons of rides under construction. One thing I tried to add here are a few shots that show the complete pier and the beach. The pier fits right in on Seawall Blvd and is going to be a BIG add to Galveston. Enjoy.

736045075_gpp10.jpg.ac1f8253ed8452fdb7a56e22dba956e3.jpg

Looking SW down Seawall Blvd - The Pleasure Pier fits right in with the beach!

2063187655_gpp11.jpg.50174e8a2f202b4e02c300337997401f.jpg

Iron Shark Topped Off!

581439762_gpp12.jpg.73f65c6de4a5963cef96c7f8656a5d01.jpg

Could be a fun place to work

1493998256_gpp13.jpg.a992c9180afcd4905ac1c89fc908c4c0.jpg

Workers were all over the pier until dark on Saturday - St. Patrick's Day

704904064_gpp14.jpg.64e16872494f46e27f6079a76da684a2.jpg

Nerd Shot for the ride construction groupies

46910946_gpp15.jpg.1dfc605898d08f12006c99bb64c5de0a.jpg

Yup it is a pier!

2060907447_gpp16.thumb.jpg.d8b91070bb95af83d555d38e0ad4e24b.jpg

Iron Shark from the west side

943339076_gpp17.jpg.7069d0c868cf4baadc26c2e5e87849ab.jpg

The whole pier looking NE up Seawall Blvd. The ride density on the pier is going to be amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like it's on track to open on Memorial weekend. At least according to this article:

Kane said the amusement park, which extends 1,130 feet over the Gulf of Mexico, is on track to open Memorial Day weekend in May when the motors that drive the 16 rides packed along the deck will roar into action. When I asked about staying within the $60 million budget, Kane hedged slightly but offered this: “The budget and (construction) schedule for something like this is always a challenge, but I think we’re right where Mr. Fertitta wanted to be.”

link to article