TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR - Xcoaster in Japan - Culture/Studio Ghibli Museum

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing in your recommendations you advise to buy 1 ticket for each coaster.

I would recommend buying 3-4 tickets for each coaster.

In my experience, the chances of using more than one ticket per coaster per day at Fuji-Q are pretty close to non-existent.

(Takabisha is absolutely stunning, FWIW -- it's just a shame they built it at Fuji-Queue).

I went October 31 & Nov 1. weekdays.

I did 2-3 tickets for each coaster on my first day & rode takabisha twice in line early morning & later in the day did the hamster coaster woth a minor wait time.

The following day i lined up early for Takabisha & then head straight to line up for Eejanaika.

i bought 3 ticktets for each coaster plus the water ride & the haunted house & did more browsing at stuff i know little about like Evangelion.

I bought all my tickets for each coaster in the same hour eg Dodonpa all 3 tickets were for 12-1. They let me board every second train if i remained at the boarding station for rerides.

If you just ride the big coasters you could squeeze in 4 coasters for every second hour & 3 the other hours. You can be done in 4 hours, leaving you several hours for other stuff.

Edited by therooboy

I did 2-3 tickets for each coaster on my first day & rode takabisha twice in line eary morning & later in the day did the hamster coaster woth a minor wait time.

The following day i lined up early for Takabisha & then head straight to line up for Eejanaika.

i bought 3 ticktets for each coaster plus the water ride & the haunted house & did more browsing at stuff i know little about like Evangelion.

I bought all my tickets for each coaster in the same hour eg Dodonpa all 3 tickets were for 12-1. They let me board every second train if i remained at the boarding station for rerides.

If you just ride the big coasters you could squeeze in 4 coasters for every second hour & 3 the other hours. You can be done in 4 hours, leaving you several hours for other stuff.

All three times I've been there the queues for all four big coasters have exceeded two hours (one trip in May, two trips in September). You were lucky. Though I am a little confused -- why on earth didn't you buy a free pass if the park was that quiet?

I had a two day free pass that allows free rides, but i also bought several of the individual "priority passes" for rides.

They cost an additional $10 on top of your free pass. You head straight up the exit rank most rides.

Unlike most other fast pass type lines, i only ever saw a few others in the line at all times & the special passes were sold out early both days, so they are definitely limited in availability.

In my experience, the chances of using more than one ticket per coaster per day at Fuji-Q are pretty close to non-existent.

(Takabisha is absolutely stunning, FWIW -- it's just a shame they built it at Fuji-Queue).

I did 2-3 tickets for each coaster on my first day & rode takabisha twice in line early morning & later in the day did the hamster coaster woth a minor wait time.

What is the procedure for getting the fast passes i'm taking a bus out so will get there 10 minutes before opening on a monday or tuesday most likely and want to get those tickets bought asap as soon as i get there, if i know ahead of time what to look for and how it works will really help.

^There's a little booth over by the Carousel and Mad Mouse Roller Coaster. Just point to the ride you want and they may or may not give you a selection of times to choose from. The booth also doesn't always open with the park so if you get there and it's closed, grab your mouse credit first, then get there. However if one coaster is super important to you and you do make it there for opening, I would suggest running straight to that coaster first, getting the credit, then go get in line for the fastpass tickets.

Thanks for all the comments! I'll try to post the next updates pretty soon. The next will be mostly culture (two open-air museums, and the Studio Ghibli museum). After that, we have Hamanako Pal Pal, Toyohashia, Lagunasia, and Parque Espana, then some more culture before I get to my previous trips.

How often in your life will you visit Fuji Q people?

The train ride in was FAR more scenically enjoyable for me, than the bus trip i had taken previous.

Was very easy to work out (1 minor transfer) & the pricing between bus & train was pretty similar.

So far my humble goal at Fuji-Q has just been to get on each coaster once, but yeah, I suppose you could certainly get multiple fastpass tickets for each coaster, assuming they're available, and experience something resembling ERT. Next time I'd probably get at least a couple tickets for each major coaster, plus maybe one for their haunted hospital. That'd be at least 9000 yen (about $120), but considering that's less than the cost of the bus and free pass, I suppose it'd be worthwhile.

The train was scenic (I didn't post any of those pictures from 2010), but when I took it I didn't see Mt. Fuji at all (probably too cloudy), while on the bus it was visible for much of the ride. That may have all been due to the season, however. Anyways, now that I'm more experienced with train travel in Japan, I probably wouldn't have much trouble making the transfers and getting there quickly, but I'd still be somewhat inclined to take the bus. When I'm coming all the way from Yokosuka, vice Tokyo, the train takes over three hours (assuming I don't miss transfers, as I did my first time), and needs three transfers, while the bus was less time, only having to deal with the transfer from train to bus, and having a reserved seat (especially important, since I'd have to do most of my traveling through the Tokyo area during rush hour). If I was just going out of Shinjuku, however, I'd consider taking the train, or I'd take it back from the park, since it'd give me more time there.

I think he was referring to the fastpass tickets, which I think you can buy as many as you want, assuming they're available. Otherwise, yeah, it almost might not be worth it to even buy the freepass, since there's a chance you might only be riding a few rides.

Also does anyone know if the buses from Shinjuku Station have a toilet in them? If they don't then I'll probably have to skip out on the park (may be a blessing).

I took the bus from Yokohama, but it should be the same, and yes, I'm pretty sure it had a toilet. At least the one on my return visit did, I was sitting near the back, and I seem to recall people walking back there to use it.

You could alternatively take the train, and just make a point of using the restroom at each station when you make a transfer. I can't guarantee all the stations would have toilets though (usually it seems I can find one if I'm looking for one).

So, what's the 'best' way to do Fuji Q? Mouse credit first I presume? Do some lines move (slightly) faster than others? Or just cross your fingers and hope for the best?

I'm waiting for someone to say "just don't go!", but unless if you visit on a day when it's dead (I've heard it happens), your best bet really is to get there early and buy a fastpass for each major ride you're interested in. Each fastpass is 1000 yen, so they can add up, but they're worth it when the ride lines are measured in hours. Once you do that, I guess either go to whatever ride you can't afford to miss (just in case it breaks down or starts raining), or start on rides you don't have fastpasses for (probably the mouse, hamster coaster, or kiddie - the first two in particular can have very slow moving lines, but at least they aren't terribly popular). If you don't get fastpasses, then I'd just start with whatever you want to ride the most, and go from there. In my very limited experience Dodonpa and Takabisha tend to get the longest lines, while Fujiyama and Eejanaika aren't as bad (both visits Eejanaika was under an hour wait). Of course, it'd also depend on how many trains they're running (on my first visit Fujiyama was about 30 minutes, this last time it was over 2 hours, since it only had one train). The mouse line is slow, but if there was a credit to miss there (besides the kiddie), it'd be the mouse. If you don't use the fastpass there's a good chance you'll miss credits, since the big coasters seem to average 1-3 hour waits, and the others can be up to an hour each. That means if the park was open from 1000-1800 (Japan park hours tend to be limited), you might not even hit all the big coasters. But yeah, mostly just use fastpasses, hope for the best, or plan on a couple days.

A couple things not mentioned that i found on my visits.

Mad mouse was very quiet the first hour until the riders started leaving the big coaster lines.

Fujiyama easily had the shortest queue of the big coasters most of the day ranging from 40-90mins. The 40mins was at lunchtime & near the end of the day.

Hamster coaster & Nagashima water ride didnt open until 1 hour after opening.

Don't know if thats usual but thats what happened on my visit.

• 1 month later...

^ If you're into coasters at all you should give it a try. Go on a weekday and the lines should be more manageable.

Anyways, sorry for being extra super slow in posting this next update. This culture update doesn't involve traditional theme parks, per say, but has two (or 1.5) open-air architectural museums (theme parks in the very broadest sense of the term) and a visit to the awesome Studio Ghibli museum.

DSCN8938.thumb.JPG.93fe1a5da1a6d4bfb51113c624caa94d.JPG

On Thanksgiving 2011 I had the day off, and I finally managed to reserve a ticket to the Studio Ghibli museum in Mitaka, so I decided to center my day around a long-awaited visit to it. The first stop of the day was the Nihon Minka-en open-air museum in the Tama hills area of Tokyo.

This is the train station I used to get to it.

DSCN8941.thumb.JPG.de5b63f658394894e4cb40c899e34586.JPG

Nihon Minka-en, the first open-air museum of the day, showcases Japanese folk houses, and was located in the same general area as Yomiuriland, a decent walk up the hill from the Mukogaoka Yuen train station. Unfortunately, I misread the museum’s website, and most of the park was closed when I got there (they’re closed on the day following a National holiday, and since Thanksgiving is celebrated on Wednesday in Japan, the park was closed Thursday…). So, I just walked around the outskirts of the park until I figured this out, took in what I could see, then took off after getting lunch.

This is partway up the hill to the park.

DSCN8943.thumb.JPG.b20bb0165b425907c4e37ac14ccbb6eb.JPG

Here's the entrance to the park. It was closed but at this point I figured, "Hey, maybe there's another entrance open somewhere else."

DSCN8944.thumb.JPG.79fb110c1e19bcee86d3cbfff2cac369.JPG

A train car on display in the nearby park. There's a guy sitting inside reading a newspaper; I thought it was a funny place to hang out.

DSCN8948.thumb.JPG.02fcdcb0b8d47727dc6a7c37cc8d30c9.JPG

The museum's restaurant, which is housed inside of one of their more iconic folk houses. Again, closed. At this point I was starting to get the impression that the park was closed today.

DSCN8955.thumb.JPG.83442f3eea1622d3c40c11a2f129c5db.JPG

Looking down on some of the other houses.

DSCN8961.thumb.JPG.3c732ba3092201589ebb98f4e282ab1f.JPG

A map of the museum layout.

DSCN8966.thumb.JPG.baed5b383e14624458cbac8a4cbb329d.JPG

Near the rear gate to the park. At this point I figured out from one of the signs that the park was definitely closed.

DSCN8969.thumb.JPG.2d74defb258c88315556909e220aa3d9.JPG

After walking back to the train station, I had lunch at Ootoya, a chain restaurant which seems to focus more on European style cuisine. I ate at another later, and both times it was pretty good. This time I had what turned out to be French Onion chicken soup. I was nearly finished with it before I realized what I was eating - I'd assumed it was a traditional Japanese onion stew.

Afterwards I thought I might swing by Yomiuriland and get my White Canyon credit and a few rides on Bandit (since I only had one before), but I made my third big dumb of the day (first was forgetting my passport and railmap) and took the train to Yomiuri Land Mae, which is NOT the station with the gondola ride to the park (that’d be Keioyomiuriland). I was already on the fence about visiting since I had to get to the Studio Ghibli museum by 4:00, so at this point I decided to abort and just went on to my next stop, the Edo-Tokyo outdoor museum.

DSCN8970.thumb.JPG.3fbc26c81f8cbab88cf03ef395bbb66c.JPG

The Edo-Tokyo open-air architectural museum is in Koganei Park, a short bus ride away from Musashikoganei train station. The bus was pretty easy to figure out.

DSCN8978.thumb.JPG.66675bf68e94684b4d8f762b477db00b.JPG

Unfortunately, I didn’t have much time to spend here, since I had to get to the Studio Ghibli museum at 4:00, so I sped through the place in just about an hour. Honestly though, unless you really take your time going through each building and the museum, 2-3 hours would probably be plenty as it isn’t a particularly large complex.

This is a old police box.

DSCN8981.thumb.JPG.b36b0759d30d8cefa55db159eca11b85.JPG

I think this is an old fire watch tower.

DSCN8982.thumb.JPG.30ff1c45a521b3612ec06ef3289be9fe.JPG

It wasn’t entirely planned this way, but this whole day ended up being very Studio Ghibli focused. First, Nihon Minka-en was located in the Tama Hills / Tama New Town area, which was the setting for two Studio Ghibli films, "Whisper of the Heart", and "Pom Poko", both of which highlight the suburban sprawl that came to define the area. And while walking to the park, I noticed a tanuki crossing sign, which I believe were put into use because of "Pom Poko". My photo of it was a bit too blurry to post, however.

Going onto the Edo-Tokyo Open Air Museum, it was supposedly a major inspiration for Hayao Miyazaki when he was creating Spirited Away – from some of the interiors it’s easy to see how. To start, this trolley car is similar to the one from the film, and a very similar one was used as the projection room at the theater at the Studio Ghibli Museum.

DSCN8983.thumb.JPG.c032bee6ce013c6f67d0412468b69f7c.JPG

This street scene is similar to the line of shops from the beginning of "Spirited Away"

DSCN8992.thumb.JPG.e4355feb8a590836e800dfa478806079.JPG

Hayao Miyazaki also created the mascot for the park, a caterpillar.

DSCN8997.thumb.JPG.8c2ac0bee9c55b226b768f33ef46ad24.JPG

I liked the lighting inside the bathhouse.

DSCN9014.thumb.JPG.dce681a96ccaf4259e1fc16887da1deb.JPG

DSCN9018.thumb.JPG.a37c643567a500b8ec23b7bf3325e4b4.JPG

This bathhouse is supposedly an inspiration for the much taller bathhouse from "Spirited Away". Initially I didn't see it, but if you look at them side by side, they have the same basic design, this one is just 1000x shorter.

DSCN9027.thumb.JPG.b19264a36b469a0a5977a6c5b430d737.JPG

DSCN9033.thumb.JPG.c668861e296065aa7cb074c2c725fd0e.JPG

This stationary shop is clearly the inspiration for the boiler room with all the drawers in "Spirited Away".

DSCN9043.thumb.JPG.f6d688b380b912c19a550199cae91bd3.JPG

Since I missed out on most of the folk houses of Nihon Minka-en, I was glad to see that the Edo-Tokyo museum had a few to spare.

DSCN9070.thumb.JPG.3c52d60eec62db1535dad54a9fb2e104.JPG

The interior of this house bears some resemblance to the interior of the bath house from "Spirited Away", particularly the living quarters.

Later I might to do a side-by-side comparison with some of the scenes from "Spirited Away" compared to the museum. Some of it is pretty striking.

DSCN9074.thumb.JPG.fe0446ca26fdb996d9fc96b1f2472e46.JPG

An old photography studio.

DSCN9107.thumb.JPG.c22b4162c0cd8c612ef2a493669d4ea3.JPG

Artsy photo of the entrance building.

DSCN9109.thumb.JPG.9b8763e2e3bf6502c74a9238f8d92ec6.JPG

The entrance to the open air museum. Sorry about posting this last.

DSCN9113.thumb.JPG.fe14952d61d941a87a8672ecdb94f71c.JPG

So now we're walking to the Studio Ghibli Museum, located near the Mitaka train station. I’ve wanted to go to the Studio Ghibli Museum since I found out it existed. I was particularly fond of Hayao Miyazaki’s films back when I was in college, and I designed one section of my Rct2 park, DisneyAir, around his movies, so getting to finally visit their showcase has been one of my biggest priorities since I’d started visiting Japan. Unfortunately, on my first trip I never found a date when tickets were available, and my second trip was cut short. This time I got lucky in that I had a holiday off which was a normal weekday for almost everyone else.

Anyways, this is an elevated walkway at the Mitaka train station

DSCN9115.thumb.JPG.e8faf3d42d384808b4b8120549b02f4a.JPG

After about a 10 minute walk along this canal, you arrive at the Studio Ghibli Museum. There are plenty of signs along the way, but I didn't get any pictures.

DSCN9118.thumb.JPG.923ee08edbd18067fa9c8647c8aeec0e.JPG

Totoro is manning the ticket booth at the false entrance to the museum. Note the sootballs in the port hole underneath.

I should mention at this point that the park doesn't sell tickets on site, you can only get them at the Lawson's convenience store or travel agents. It's not too difficult to buy your ticket in Japan at the Lawson's kiosk, with the only caveat being that part of the process involves typing your name into the machine, using Japanese characters. I had to get one of the employees at the shop help me enter my name in. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it on the ticket afterwards where it was printed, so I still don't know how to type it out.

DSCN9120.thumb.JPG.bef433920e7425f3ba230c3ec4f6dedb.JPG

If you like the details and atmosphere of Disney parks, or if you've enjoyed the films of Studio Ghibli, I'd highly recommend a visit to this museum. Unfortunately, the museum doesn't allow photos inside the museum buildings, so you'll have to get a sense of it from the outside. I'll vouch for the inside however, and say it's incredible, atmosphere on par with the best of Disney's themed environments. Tons of little details, and a bunch of great exhibits. They have a detailed recreation of an animator's studio, beautiful 3D zoetrope sculptures that seem to move when under a strobe light, and recreations of various scenes from their films (the inside of the Catbus from "My Neighbor Totoro", the hat-shop from "Howl's Moving Castle", a forest scene from "Princess Mononoke", and the inside of the bathhouse from "Spirited Away"). The museum also features lots of stained glass, spiral staircases, a bridge spanning the interior of the building, and lots of little passages and rooms to explore. The idea behind it was to make it a place to explore. They say they don't allow photos so that you can make memories instead, but I imagine it could get pretty crazy inside if photos were allowed, so I'm not completely opposed to that rule.

DSCN9125.thumb.JPG.bb455830fe633440d00419b2b9ba0c3e.JPG

Outside the museum is a spiral staircase that takes you to the roof of the building, atop of which they have a garden and a sculpture of one of the robots from "Laputa: Castle in the Sky"

DSCN9126.thumb.JPG.a213d66328539add5be2277b03a5fc3f.JPG

Each museum ticket allows for one entry to their cinema, where they show a different short film each day. Each film is played exclusively at this theater and hasn't been released elsewhere. I got to see "The Day I Harvested a Planet," which was kind of like a sci-fi "Spirited Away" meets "Super Mario Galaxy." It was pretty cool. Also, each ticket was a small clip of film from one of their movies when it played in theaters. Mine was three frames of the airship 'Goliath' from Laputa.

DSCN9129.thumb.JPG.aabd76e835c4a61c555fd1408c16dd47.JPG

The outside restroom is colored appropriately.

DSCN9135.thumb.JPG.6cefab744b156866af5c67fc58d63724.JPG

DSCN9137.thumb.JPG.960a293018d3e3a70401c71af4656619.JPG

The museum has a number of levels.

DSCN9138.thumb.JPG.8104139a30d958649473fe2f05d5af09.JPG

The entrance to the museum. Some of the outlying parts of the building remind me of Tattooine.

DSCN9143.thumb.JPG.c28f705f512fc29342cfaa0d27247a0f.JPG

DSCN9146.thumb.JPG.b98b09f020a6874a58efcf2649da4d0c.JPG

DSCN9147.thumb.JPG.464872ef2bd95d9d8695c2b1e978a198.JPG

DSCN9150.thumb.JPG.6c5c2bc6c1921ca92eef78e4d600549b.JPG

Cats from "The Cat Returns," I think.

DSCN9154.thumb.JPG.83d9587aba656571ef560acc1a9776fd.JPG

DSCN9158.thumb.JPG.899ce42809eb32b9520e6a633dc89306.JPG

DSCN9161.thumb.JPG.7cf716398c8adf896c0fef1803f86a2d.JPG

DSCN9162.thumb.JPG.e499110bfe4ed6443778d86011bc8788.JPG

One of the stained glass windows outside the building.

DSCN9164.thumb.JPG.eccd7bf230c26bedb054bb7cd0380360.JPG

DSCN9165.thumb.JPG.1296e9d86ea436c8afd523632ae84543.JPG

One of the "Princess Mononoke" themed doors to the museum, and a small view of the inside, with its atrium-spanning bridge.

DSCN9169.thumb.JPG.7d73c31a7272485405f708fc60eb0500.JPG

DSCN9179.thumb.JPG.85dd4406eecde79ab8f059618da7fd8d.JPG

The flying robot sculpture from "Laputa: Castle in the Sky"

DSCN9184.thumb.JPG.96b8db8529a238764466a40f755a90ff.JPG

DSCN9194.thumb.JPG.32c5681f1b4c463a687085610f802085.JPG

The working water well under the cover is supposed to be a recreation of the one from "My Neighbor Totoro"

DSCN9198.thumb.JPG.070391c44e9c6ac6b03504085886b512.JPG

DSCN9199.thumb.JPG.0e39dbb1ad8ed9b234ea216114f6b21b.JPG

One of the stairwells for the museum.

DSCN9211.thumb.JPG.84ff0e9bd49d01896747e1164e15a90d.JPG

Next time I’d probably try for one of the morning tickets. I imagine it’d be less crowded, and might allow for more time in the museum (I’m not sure if they kick people out once their time is over).

DSCN9227.thumb.JPG.e280b9ecc02ba874c6470da24ec259ae.JPG

Like I said earlier, if you have any interest in the Studio Ghibli movies or themed environments on par with Disney, I'd highly recommend this museum.

DSCN9234.thumb.JPG.f85af37d543e8e8329778f589d378527.JPG

After the Studio Ghilbi Museum I walked around Mitaka a bit, then went to Shinjuku to look for dinner.

DSCN9237.thumb.JPG.1ae3b134adb866f49d78d4a5ecdd2986.JPG

DSCN9239.thumb.JPG.3e5412c897048e025588bf6ca13a6afd.JPG

DSCN9245.thumb.JPG.3ce90fd986e761fe3f949c74290d2191.JPG

Everywhere I went in Japan there were Christmas displays, with names like "Shining Heart Joyous X-Mas". Shinjuku was no exception.

DSCN9247.thumb.JPG.a26944052543019cc30985c3e0a9d632.JPG

Shiny!

DSCN9250.thumb.JPG.ad5bbaf0fbd91a6aa8319a420c521db8.JPG

For Thanksgiving dinner in Japan I had a savory crepe filled with sausage, meat, and cheese.

Anyways, thanks for viewing! I promise the next update will have coasters. It'll probably be Hamanako Pal Pal.

Next time I’d probably try for one of the morning tickets. I imagine it’d be less crowded, and might allow for more time in the museum (I’m not sure if they kick people out once their time is over)..

Nah, that's not the case we went first thing (albeit on a Saturday) and the place was heaving. I spent an hour in the gift shop, just actually trying to see everything they had for sale, it was so packed in there!

Two Ghibli Museum updates in a week.....Seriously, go there people! It's awesome!