TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

^^Well, I didn't do this.

According to my ride statistics, I hit a max of 83 mph on the outer loop and a max of 39 mph in the inner turns. I thought I was going a good deal faster (they block out the speedometers on the cars so you aren't tempted to take your eyes off of the road), but I was told by my instructor that I got much better with each lap.

Oh, and I drove paddle shift--something Elissa didn't do!

Looks like a great experience! I'd pay the money just to have Christian Fittipaldi drive me around, someone of his experience going much faster than I ever could in a supercar would beat any rollercoaster for me.

I've done a single seater driving experience day before, and they are a lot of fun. Blocking the speedometer out on these cars is a good idea, because it's all too easy for some people to forget that these sort of events are not a race, they are an experience, and one which regardless of how fast you go, you should get out of the car feeling great!

Well done to Elissa and Adam, and well done again to Elissa for not telling Christian to watch his speed!

Paddle shifters. I bet those take some getting used to.

It doesn't take much to get used to, because it's not like a traditional gear shift where you have to pop a clutch or something. It's literally more like pressing a button on a video game. The car does the rest for you. And like Elissa said, when you're driving a $280,000 car that has a computer system smarter than most humans, unless you're very experienced with paddle shifting, the car will actually do a better job shifting for you in automatic mode. So why not remove one additional learning curve and spend that time having fun driving the car?

When you're spending $389 for six laps, I don't want to spend one of them learning a new system that I don't really need to.

Edited by robbalvey

Paddle shifters. I bet those take some getting used to.

It doesn't take much to get used to, because it's not like a traditional gear shift where you have to pop a clutch or something. It's literally more like pressing a button on a video game. The car does the rest for you. And like Elissa said, when you're driving a $280,000 car that has a computer system smarter than most humans, unless you're very experienced with paddle shifting, the car will actually do a better job shifting for you in automatic mode. So why not remove one additional learning curve and spend that time having fun driving the car?

When you're spending $389 for six laps, I don't want to spend one of them learning a new system that I don't really need to.

I'm with you. I could have got my car with the paddle shifters but what was the point. It was all electronic shifting anyway. No more popping the clutch.

One suggestion for the company might be to add a fleet of GT-Rs as a lower priced option. They'd give a lot of the same experience, but would be a cheaper option. I'm not saying anything is overpriced - I don't think it is - I'm just saying that having a budget option might attract an even bigger audience, and the GT-R is an absolutely amazing car for the money.

Edited by ILoveRides

^ Agreed. I can't quite remember the timeline, but somewhere around the announcement that they'd be at the Disney track, the company asked fans to actually name the "experience," sign up for updates, and take part in a poll that asked which 5(?)vehicles they should showcase.

I'm curious how much of that solicited advice they actually used? Three of my suggestions made the cut. Left out were the Aston Martin DB9 and the GT-R.

As for the paddles, I've driven an older model Maserati with early-generation shifters, and wasn't too impressed. However, they've come a LONG way since then, and I'll definitely use 'em in the 458 for the authentic experience.

^ They pretty much said you'll never see a Koenigsegg, Zonda, Veyron, etc. there....ever. In fact, none of the "ultimate driving adventures" that have sprung up all over the place will probably ever offer you something along those lines.

You think the insurance is high with what they have now.......

Something else that makes this Exotic Driving Experience tower over all the other competitors out there is that you don't have to show proof of insurance, buy some crazy policy, or leave a credit card with a $10k limit which a lot of those other ones do!

You pay a flat $35 which absolves you from ANY damage or wear and tear to the car. So you spin out on a corner and crash the car into the wall, no worries! The only caveat to that is INTENTIONAL damage. So don't try to test out the Ferrari's airbags by crashing into a wall on purpose, cause then you're on the hook!

Something else that makes this Exotic Driving Experience tower over all the other competitors out there is that you don't have to show proof of insurance, buy some crazy policy, or leave a credit card with a $10k limit which a lot of those other ones do!

You pay a flat $35 which absolves you from ANY damage or wear and tear to the car. So you spin out on a corner and crash the car into the wall, no worries!

Perfect for Craig Knight.

Without turning this into a car thread, you would need the GT-R Premium package, not the standard car. Standard GT-R is nice but not going to give you the same feel that a Gallardo or 458 gives you. Then again, all of these cars are on a track thats way too small to really show you what its capable of. Which is probably good.

Im going on a supercar drive in Jersey where I get to drive 6 different cars for 20-30min a peice. all of the cars at Disney are in this drive including a Bentley and a few others to choose from. They have said we will be in some areas where you can push the throttle...but still public roads. I think some of the larger tracks with infield courses (like a 1.5mi track) should do this.

At any rate, Im looking forward to the next time Im at Disney. I know where youll find me.

• 2 weeks later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/01/landscape-of-flavors-at-disneys-art-of-animation-resort-at-walt-disney-world/

“Better-for-you” options at five mini shops serving breakfast, lunch and dinner is the overarching theme of the new Landscape of Flavors food court still being tweaked for Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, opening in May. The new restaurant will be adjacent to the lobby.

“The idea is that you customize your choice,” says Chef Ed Wronski, Director, Food & Beverage Concept Development, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “From burgers to pasta, salads, ethnic flavors, omelets, even parfaits and gelatos, everything is made fresh as you order.”

There’s a big focus on beverages, too. Fresh fruit smoothies are made to order, ditto for lemonade and pomegranate limeade. They’re stocking organic teas, beer (including gluten free), wine, coffee and juices. You can get a plain cup of coffee or a French vanilla or mocha iced. And half bottles of wine are paired with cuisine from the food shops.

We got a sneak peek at the menu, and here are some of the highlights:

The Soup-Salad-Sandwich Shop lets you create your own salad (with beef or chicken) and offers a caprese sandwich with fresh mozzarella and tomatoes on focaccia, or a Buffalo-style turkey sandwich with arugula and a blue cheese-Buffalo sauce-mayo spread. Both are served with delish house-made potato chips.

The World Flavors Shop adds Indian-African flair to breakfast, too, with scrambled eggs, tandoor potatoes, Portuguese sausage, slab bacon and a mini-naan; or a veggie flatbread sandwich on naan with cauliflower, spinach and paneer. Lunch and dinner is a choice of tandoori chicken or shrimp, Mongolian beef with vegetables, mahi mahi, Portuguese sausage or roasted acorn squash served with sides and naan bread.

The Pizza Shop features make-your-own pasta, cheese and pepperoni pizzas and meatballs on ciabatta bread. Room delivery is an option, too.

The Burger Shop includes a breakfast burger with chicken breakfast sausage, cheese and scrambled eggs on a multi-grain bun, and a steak-and-eggs breakfast burger with a burger topped with fried eggs, cheese and bacon. Besides the traditional burgers, lunch and dinner includes a surf and turf burger with crab cake and fried popcorn shrimp, and a pastrami cheeseburger topped with pepper jack cheese and a slice of fried green tomato.

The “grab ‘n go” Market Shop offers drinks, yogurt, bagels, pastries, gourmet cupcakes, cookies and gelato.

The food court will be part of the Disney Dining Plan, details to follow.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/01/new-tastes-at-crossroads-at-house-of-blues-in-downtown-disney-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

We’re fans of House of Blues just for the incredible collection of folk art – we visit just to enjoy the fantastic paintings. When we headed back last week, we found some new menu items – and tweaks to old favorites.

If you loved the HOB shrimp and grits, the new version is just as delicious, but now the grits are fried in a crispy cake, smothered in a chipotle garlic cream sauce with six pan-seared shrimp. If you’re trying to behave, the new grilled flatbreads are a winner: they grill the dough then finish it in the pizza oven. The simple basil pesto and tomato was our favorite.

Cornbread is back minus the rosemary, jambalaya returns without shrimp, but with a hefty serving of chicken and spicy Andouille sausage. The diverse menu runs the gamut from lobster mac & cheese to street tacos and generous salads, but we have to say that the new Juicy Lucy burger topped our list of favorites. The Angus beef was stuffed with cheese and Applewood bacon, then topped with crispy pickled jalapeños and chipotle mayo. We split it three ways.

The wine list is all new, and you’ll find 15 beers plus local micro brews and a full bar. When you’re really hungry, end with an order of bourbon bread pudding, now served with a splash of bourbon, or the new molten chocolate cake – then stroll Downtown Disney end to end to burn those calories.

lof102192LARGE.jpg.b8eab25381329233b3a316ffdaf8251e.jpg

shg118394LARGE.jpg.fb360783f9badcb68cea7a4efddbf33d.jpg

ftb228913LARGE.jpg.6d1e8ed2de045784e55e2a1daf3cba53.jpg

sta339205LARGE.jpg.ef477bb4ed83a4204066dc22eee68d65.jpg

bdp448923LARGE.jpg.1fb0a2484d8a3aa80993d028022c8693.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/02/finding-fixtures-in-the-ink-paint-shop-at-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/

When Disney’s Art of Animation Resort opens this coming May, guests will find a colorful new merchandise location called the Ink & Paint Shop. For the past several months, Lyndsey Vincent, a recent intern on the Walt Disney World Professional Internship Program, has been diligently working on one important thing for the new shop. She has the unique job of designing the merchandise fixtures,\ and we recently spoke about her experience. “I’ve grown up with Disney and visited Disneyland Resort every summer with my family,” said Lyndsey. “I graduated with an Interior Design degree last spring and moved from Idaho to work for Walt Disney World Resort. I didn’t know what to expect when I got here but the experience has been fun!”

Now a full-time member of the Global Retail Development team at Disney Theme Park Merchandise, Lyndsey worked closely with several departments “to put together the puzzle” that is a new location. “Location planning was a key department that helped with the design process,” explained Lyndsey. “They provided me the number of ‘faceouts’ or areas that will carry merchandise. My job then was to design fixtures that would achieve their number while balancing other factors like traffic flow and shop design.”

Walt Disney Imagineering designed the wall spaces for the location which resemble oversized paint jars. Lyndsey explained that the fixtures will be clean and simple in form and will be neutral in color to complement the colorful palate that Imagineering used. “We had several different versions of fixtures during the development process,” continued Lyndsey. “Ultimately, we chose clean, simple designs that remind me of an animator’s workspace. For this project, I wanted materials that had recycled content, had Greenguard certification for indoor air quality, and were manufactured in the US. The fixtures I am most excited about are the nested tables, which are made from a recycled concrete material.”

Lyndsey said she learned the importance of details from her Imagineering partners. “Throughout this process, Imagineering taught me the importance of paying attention to the details,” remarked Lyndsey. “Guests don’t visit Disney and remark, ‘Wow – look at those amazing fixtures!’ Yet, they are an important part of any shop. When designed well, they create a great immersive shopping experience that is all Disney.”

You can see these fixtures and the location come to life when the resort begins opening in phases on May 31.

ink1139405LARGE.jpg.47b990932546b27400d204ed8e753f54.jpg

pnt229405LARGE.jpg.3053727d0dfa1e1d7fd9f22fdd90a576.jpg

shv338493LARGE.thumb.jpg.52433aee0e3230abbcd001a2655b79ef.jpg

mat448923LARGE.jpg.609f6c0a76ecfa65860bd516effac139.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/02/a-marquee-milestone-at-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/

I’m happy to start off the week by sharing a fun update on Disney’s Art of Animation Resort.

Last week, Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) put the finishing touches on the new resort’s marquee. Measuring in at 46 feet, six inches, the resort’s sign now holds the record as the largest freestanding marquee at Walt Disney World Resort. (Incidentally, it’s 18 inches taller than the famous “HOLLYWOOD” sign in Los Angeles, Calif.).

The photo, supplied by WDI, shows three layers of development the marquee went through in its creation – from digital design, to model, to full-scale installation.

Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, which will feature four wings dedicated to popular films Finding Nemo, Cars, The Lion King and The Little Mermaid, will open in phases beginning May 31.

mrq119304LARGE.jpg.63245e261a0defa097e65cdf354acf3c.jpg

• 1 month later...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/03/opening-dates-now-set-for-disneys-art-of-animation-resort-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

Great news to share today. The teams creating Disney’s Art of Animation Resort tell us that the wings dedicated to popular films “Cars,” “The Lion King,” and “The Little Mermaid” will now be opening sooner than you can imagine after the grand opening of the “Finding Nemo”-themed wing on May 31. Here’s the official schedule:

• Finding Nemo (Grand opening) – Opens May 31
  • Cars – Opens June 18
  • Lion King – Opens August 10
  • Little Mermaid – Opens September 15

And guests can begin booking rooms March 23! It seems like just yesterday when we shared the first image of Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) putting the finishing touches on the new resort’s marquee and Nemo icons. Now, we’re closing in on the big day – May 31. Let us know which wing you’re most looking forward to.

aar890435LARGE.jpg.35e44201f020fcd2e841a89cad854f59.jpg