Help plan SFStL, HW, WoF, SFGAm trip

I need help getting the trip straight.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know more about donkeys than women!

Re: Help plan SFStL, HW, WoF, SFGAm trip

Postby megametal » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:17 pm

So would Worlds of Fun be compared to Dorney Park? I went to Dorney this past year, and thoroughly enjoyed myself, despite a lot of people saying that it's a boring park.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby mattnz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:31 pm

I'd give Worlds of Fun a big lead over Dorney Park. The whole atmosphere at Worlds of Fun is actually really nice, it has a lot more 'soul' than Dorney (trees over pavement) - and they have some outstanding rides. Mamba is my favourite Morgan hyper, Prowler is probably my favourite GCI and Timber Wolf is (in my opinion) quite an underrated experience! They have a ton of flat rides too - don't forget to try the Rotor (Finnish Fling) and Cyclone Sam's, an awesome indoor Wipeout.

Silver Dollar City is second to none and in a different league entirely.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Nozzy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:56 pm

I had the opposite reaction- I would go to Dorney a few times a year, enjoy myself every time and could stay there all day. When I went to WoF my friend and I were so bored we left after just 3 hours.

I guess the big difference for me was operations. Dorney always tends to run 2 trains on everything and not have any lines when I go. WoF had only one train on everything with waits around 30-45 minutes of listening to pop music at deafening volumes and the ops belittle the other rides in the park. Patriot was a bad Talon clone, Mamba wasn't all that different from Steel Force... the only positive I had about the park was Prowler, which is a great coaster. It was the beginning of the season, but Timberwolf never opened, the park was in pretty bad shape (opening delayed a bit to get bulldozers out of the way).

If you could do Silver Dollar City, I'd definitely recommend it instead. It would be further out of your way though, and more expensive...

Otherwise, I might consider spending a day in St. Louis, and visit the arch and City Museum, or try for pushing up the others and Indiana Beach (I've never been there though, but I'm trying a similar trip this summer as well, and that's my plan).

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby sixflagsguy5 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:08 pm

The problem you will have with adding Silver Dollar City is that it's really tough to do in just one day unless you get there the night before and are there right at opening and stay until close. There's so much to do at the park and you'll want to take your time to check out the different shops, food, and crafts-people. There's a lot to do at that park besides roller coasters (and rides). If you do choose to add this park, I'd suggest planning two days there. Also make sure you do your research on the hotel you are staying at, because there are a lot of low quality hotels in that area.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby megametal » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:30 pm

Yeah, I'll probably stick with WoF. (I want to visit as many parks in the US as I can before I get too old, and, well, it's a park.) I do plan to go on another big trip after I finish grad school in 3-4 years, and maybe Silver Dollar City can be on that one. It is one I intend to visit at some point. (Maybe a Schlitterbahn, SFFT, SFOT, Sea World, Frontier City, Silver Dollar City trip?)

If we get bored at WoF, most likely we'll go back to the hotel for a while or see a movie or something then go back later in the day for night rides.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby KCForce » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:53 am

Living in KC and having made the drive to Chicago many times, here's the BEST tip I can give you.

Do NOT take I-70 back to St. Louis and then up I-55 to Chicago. I-70 is a very busy highway, and I-55 is insane during the summer, and the (seemingly) constant road construction is a pain, you can get stuck for an hour or more, easily on I-55 during the summer due to construction or accidents.

Instead take I-35 North to Des Moines, IA (you could do Adventureland, its worth going to, you can usually do the coasters in a couple of hours, or save it for another time) and then head East on I-80 to the Quad Cities (Davenport and Bettendorf , in Iowa; and Rock Island and Moline in Illinois.) From there it's about 6 of one or a half dozen of the other, you can continue on I-80 or I-88 to Chicago. We usually go up I-88, as our family is in the north part of Chicagoland, near Great America. Once you get near Chicago, expect traffic, sometimes it moves, other times you don't.

This is from my personal experience, on a route I travel at least two times a year. You can still be delayed either way, but I feel you're less likely to be delayed going up through Iowa, and it's only a difference of less than 30 miles or so, about 30 more to go north through IA.) It's a long haul, but worth it. Peace.

PS if you're looking for something to do, if you get bored, you can go to Union Station near downtown Kansas City (about 15 minutes away) and check out the Screams of the Past: The First Five Roller Coasters at Worlds of Funexhibit with working models of the original five roller coasters from Worlds of Fun along with some coaster artifacts, historic pictures and memorabilia. I know the guy who put the exhibit together. :lol: It's free too.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby sixflagsguy5 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:54 am

I drive between Des Moines and Chicago about once every month and have really never seen any traffic except for the crossing at the Mississippi when everyone at Iowa State and University of Iowa are headed home for spring break or winter break. So I agree with KCForce that the Iowa route is probably better.

As far as choosing parks, if you plan on driving to Texas at any point, then I agree you should do WOF instead of Silver Dollar City. It's easier to group parks that are nearby so that you don't have to add a "remote" park to a future trip.

Overall I think it sounds like a pretty solid trip. I'd definitely consider doing Adventureland on that wednesday. Also, when you're really bored driving through Iowa, maybe stop at the I-80 truck stop. They advertise it as the world's largest, but I don't think it really is.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:39 pm

I'd say Worlds of Fun is comparable to Dorney, but I decidedly prefer WOF. While I liked the atmosphere at both, WOF seemed quite a bit more charming. However, Dorney probably wins for me in the coaster collection (with WOF having better wood by far). At WOF Prowler and Mamba are my top favorites with Patriot and Timber Wolf as runner-ups, and at Dorney I enjoyed Steel Force, Talon and Hydra best with Possessed also being decent.

sixflagsguy5 wrote:The problem you will have with adding Silver Dollar City is that it's really tough to do in just one day unless you get there the night before and are there right at opening and stay until close. There's so much to do at the park and you'll want to take your time to check out the different shops, food, and crafts-people...

I absolutely agree. I spent a full operating day there in 2010 (when it closed at 10:00, I believe) and by the end, I practically felt like I wanted to stay forever. Depending on your interests, one full day could be fine, but there really is a lot to do and see there. Anyway, holding off until it fits better in your itinerary sounds like a good plan.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby The Yeti » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:04 pm

Don't go to SDC...it's fun, but you're way more likely to run out of things to do there than at WoF if you're looking for rides. WoF has a ton of flat rides and it has more coasters than SDC. SDC is fun and while the atmosphere is incredible, it's very family oriented - on a trip with friends I'd choose WoF. The one train at a time on coasters is dumb, especially on Mamba, but in July I would expect them to run more than one. I you ride one flat ride at Worlds of Fun, you MUST ride Cyclone Sams.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:44 pm

I like SDC and I like WoF, but for a 7 day trip I don't think the extra 7 hours of driving to include SDC is worth it.

I actually think WoF is the 3rd best park in the Cedar Fair chain so maybe I'm biased.
Last edited by larrygator on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:45 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!