TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Arachnophobia is -nothing- to laugh at. For ANY reason. There's a difference between a scare, a thrill, and paralyzing fear. One can call a ride Black Widow and not necessarily put an enormous arachnid on the logo.

That doesn't stop SFMM from sticking a gigantic spider on Colossus every fall. I think SFGAm does the same with Eagle.

Actually

God knows there are people out there who collapse at the sheer names of rides like Viper, Mantis, Cobra, etc.... If they wanted to increase ridership they should have named it something friendly like "Sunshine" or "Care Bear: The Ride".

This quote sums everything up best.

^ It's a little different at halloween, because when you decide to go to a halloween event, you should expect stuff like that. Although..SFGAM's 4 giant spiders do face the highway and not the park..

I completely understand that people have fears of spiders, but I think it'll be ok for the majority of park guests. This isn't the first ride themed to spiders, and I haven't heard of any problems with rides with similar themes. Personally, I just find the theme a bit weird for this type of ride, unless it's supposed to be a spider swinging from it's web? But if it's just a bare giant discovery, the name Black Widow seems a bit out of place to me. Regardless, I'm sure it'll be a great thrill and good addition to the park.

^ That's actually the exact same model as the one Kennywood is getting.

Personally, I think the name and the logo are "fine" - Riverside Park ran a coaster called "Black Widow" for 22 years. Lagoon has the "Spider", Parque de Atracctions Madrid has "Tarantula", heck there is a classic flat ride found in loads of parks that is referred to as the "Spider."

I really don't think it's that big of a deal. If you really don't like it, just refer to it as the "Drunk Lesbian Bullwhip." There ya go!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Well,I feel this is a great replacement for Pitt Fall. Something just as thrilling, if not more so. Flying out over the valley while spinning will be bound to shake me up a bit.

I've actually never been on a Frisbee or any other similar ride, but I'm excited to try one out; looks like 2012 will be the year to!

And I agree with Robb. There are all kinds of rides named after things people fear; you don't see people complaining about them. (Yet anyway)

^ I don't think it will much of a problem. In looking at the park map, it appears that they have room between Pitfall and Phantom's Revenge. They may have to alter the landscaping a bit, but there should be plenty of room.

I personally hope that it swings out towards the river & over Phantom...it will definitely be a lot higher off the ground then on a flat piece of land!

I love the addition...even thought I loved Pittfall, this is a great replacement for Kennywood.

It will swing toward Phantom's Revenge's station one way, and toward the restrooms the other way. No such luck on out over the hillside / Phantom's track, unfortunately. One of the stakes for Black Widow is out in the middle of the current midway, so there will definitely be some changes happening in that area to accommodate the ride. Time will tell exactly what will happen, I guess. Hopefully we'll (Kennywood Connection) be able to follow construction progress once it starts!

According to a 2001 Gallup poll, the fear of heights is more widespread in America than the fear of spiders. And the fear of snakes tops the list, just about doubling the percentage of those afraid of spiders. People still visit all these parks with Vipers and Cobras and what have you. So really, this is a moot point.

Sad to see the ride not swing out over the valley, but I kind of forgot that there was Phantom track right there! Should still be thrilling regardless - for some reason, Maxair at Cedar Point is one of the few rides that still gets me nervous every time!

Edited by coasterfreak101

As a recent convert to these ginormous spinny things (MaXair brought me to the dark side), I'm really jazzed that this is what's replacing Pitt Fall. And I'm no fan of big, nasty spiders (or as Steven King once called them, "hairy basketballs with legs"), but I kind of love the new name and logo.

Though, the problem with Black Widow is the skyline isn't going to be as good as before since Black Widow is much shorter than Pit Fall.

Here are 2 pictures with Pit Fall and with Black Widow, this picture was found in the TPR Park Index under the Phantom's Revenge category in Kennywood.

BW1.png.c1dba3557ea9dc61ecf87405c464aebf.png

BW2.png.a6d2f383002589253104edae5d517b7b.png

I lived in the Pittsburgh area when Pittfall was built and remember folks in the area complaining about it and the skyline then. They complained about a big ugly metal pole sticking straight up from the park. Now they are complaining it is going to be gone.

Although Kennywood is a very nice looking park inside. The skyline is hardly anything special in comparison to other parks in the country. Most of the backdrop is steam from some sort of manufacturing plant and I believe there is a cemetery or two in there also.

This looks like fun, but the footprint interests me. I guess we can't walk from the Pizza Pavilion to the Exterminator anymore? I've always liked that quiet little corner of Lost Kennywood that happened to have a 255' drop tower next to it.

As for people who have arachnophobia should definitely check this article out about Lights.

http://www.inkedmag.com/inked-people/lights/

Basically Lights bought a tarantula to help her fears with spiders.

That logo guarantees I'm not heading back to Kennywood anytime soon. That's something their marketing department should have -really- thought about in depth prior to creating it: Spiders are one of the most feared items in the USA- and I know for me I'd not be headed to a park where that was on an attraction.

Bad Kennywood. Bad bad Kennywood.

I hope this is sacasm?

Otherwise its not kennywood's fault you're a complete wuss. I get being scared of spiders but not visiting a park because of a spider in one of the ride's logo is just stupid.