TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

I don't mind using the common terms, but I do think of them more as referring to styles of coasters that most commonly fall into a certain height range. To me, mini-hypers like Steel Eel and Goliath at La Ronde might as well be true hypers, and Millennium Force is basically just an oversized hyper.

If this is anything like my favorite B&M hypers and/or my lone gigacoaster credit, I'm sure I'll love it.

But don't we use them every time a new coaster that breaks those barriers come out? Shambhala is a hyper, not in a Cedar Fair park? And so are the Supermans, and Steel Dragon is a giga... Sure, it's a marketing term. But we've been using them ever since, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

No real problem, but is there really a difference between 199 feet 11 1/2 inches or 200 feet?

Is a 200 foot coaster different than a 299 foot coaster? There are both classified in the same category.

To me a 299 foot coaster has more in common with a 300 foot coaster, yet people argue that one is a hyper and one's a giga.

Then again I'm one of those people that has never used those terms when refering to a coaster. I just state the real height.

Marketing tool or not, ever since height has been a major selling point on a coaster and names have been given to each category the following seems to have been true:

200-299ft: Hyper/Mega

300-399ft - Giga

400+ - Strata

I agree that the comparison if the ride is a foot taller then another is clear as day, but just like people's heights, if you're 4'8" than you can be legally considered a "little person", whereas if you're 4"9" you cannot.

^Hmmm, as always coming in with the top secret information. Love it!

But I am not surprised. There honestly is no other reason for this trench if not to break a certain height/drop goal. They easily could have ditched the trench and just adjusted accordingly.

So excited to be on the verge of a possible world record coaster rather then just a Canadian record holder.

I agree that the comparison if the ride is a foot taller then another is clear as day, but just like people's heights, if you're 4'8" than you can be legally considered a "little person", whereas if you're 4"9" you cannot.

But there are no legalities to classifying coasters with made up marketing terms so people can call a 299 foot coaster a Giga, and a 199 foot tall coaster a Hyper if they want to. Not really a big deal.

^True. It's more or less something the coaster communities/parks/ride manufacturers have made up that stuck. Sure there's no law per say, but it's just kind of been around since, well I guess XL-200 would've started off the "hyper/mega" craze.

Regardless if you dub it the worlds first "Super Amazing Fun Time" coaster, it still looks like it will be an amazing ride.

The photos below this may be vary but just to let you to compare Milennium Force vs Leviathan. The left photo is Millennium Force and the right photo is Leviathan. You will notice the bus on left photo compare to trucks or cars on right photo.

Haha except 1) That is a bus and 2) The cars are much farther away in the Leviathan picture.

That drop looks like it starts quite quickly!

The photos below this may be vary but just to let you to compare Milennium Force vs Leviathan. The left photo is Millennium Force and the right photo is Leviathan. You will notice the bus on left photo compare to trucks or cars on right photo.

Yeah, I see what you're trying to do there, but it's a pretty poor comparison. A better comparison would be those signs or posts closer to the incline of the MF overbank compared to truck or metal box in the Leviathan pic. Even better. the track at the bottom of the drop right before each of them go upwards.

^So because the train will be pulled over the top at a slower velocity that will therefore create more of an "OH MY GOD" drop? Please! Enough of this "LEVIATHAN WILL BE BETTER THEN SEX!!1" talk when the right hasn't even opened yet.

With 305 and MF its all about the "OMG" no time to think while your up there.

This ride being a slower lift is going to give people time to take in just how high they are. Intimidation tactics are love! The shear height when your rolling up to the lift looking up. The time it takes to get to the top. The cresting, its ALL going to be insane.

Take SheiKra for example. Once at the top, you can basically see EVERYTHING (Downtown Tampa, the ghetto houses) It slowly turns around and you get the greatest view of the park and that's when everyone gets scared because they realize how high they are. Then when it slowly pulls them down, everyone on the train is all 'OH MY GOD, OOOOOOOH MY GOD, OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH MY GOD!!" and then it drops. Everyone screams. The closest I've been to an Intamin cable lift is El Toro, and its lift makes me piss myself from how fast it goes and how it gave me absolutely no time to panic. I think Intamin and B&M have opposite ways of bringing fear to its riders. Regardless, they both work. I REALLY don't think we should be comparing MF/305 to Leviathan just because of their similar heights. The B&M God will have a completely different experience than the Intamin gods.

I love B&M's slow lift-hills because it gives everyone time to take in the view and the fear. I'm sure Leviathan won't ruin that tradition. This ride looks extremely promising.