TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier Discussion Thread

This is great. I remember the few times I visited Galveston when on co-op in Texas, this pier was just BEGGIN to be turned into an amusement park. The hotel literally had entire sections of wall missing. It obviously wasn't going to ever be reopening. The location was great though. I really liked all of Galveston. The historic section specifically. I don't see this park having any trouble being successful. I also loved everything about Kemah Boardwalk (well, minus the prices) so a similar atmosphere on this pier should make for a wonderful place to visit.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd think an Intamin ZacSpin would be ideal for a park on a pier - small footprint. I'd also go with a Schwarzkopf Katapult but thats daydreaming....

Unfortunately I think a kiddie coaster is more in line with a small park's budget than an Intamin. But you can still dream.

^ Well the rumours have been saying that Laundry's took proposals from S&S for an El Loco model, and from Gerstlauer for a Euro Fighter similar in size to Rage and Untamed. So we'll see if that pans out, but knowing Tillman Fertitta, he likes to go pretty big, so I wouldn't be surprised. But anyway, Laundry's has a HUGE budget, so I don't think the cost will be an issue; more so the space.

S&S ElLoco or Screaming Squirrell are also good choices for limited space - also a Maurer-Söhne Skywheel. I pointed out the ZacSpin as the city-center parks Linnanmaki and GrönaLund both got one....

Another cool thing would be a Eurofighter running over the roofs midway with the riders hanging upside-down over it...or a B&M floorless like in Tivoli Gardens...

I wonder how much insurance is on a place like this?

I mean, how do you go to your insurance company and say: "Look, a hurricane just destroyed the pier, but I want to put something nicer and more costly on that same pier."

Is it bad that that's all I can think about with this?

I hate to be a downer here but according to the article in the first post of the thread, "The hotel was built in 1965 as a show of confidence after Hurricane Carla." This "show of confidence" replaced an amusement park that was wiped out by a hurricane. Now the "show of confidence" itself was wiped out by a hurricane and as a "show of confidence" they're going to build a theme park there. When do you officially cross the line between confidence and arrogance? SPOILER ALERT: It's going to happen again.

Fool me once, shame on... shame on... you fool me you can't get fooled again.

^If the hotel was built in 1965, then it was at least standing 44 years before Ike took it out in 2008. Also, I'm no engineer... but I imagine building techniques have improved greatly since then. When another hurricane hits the damage may not be nearly as extensive.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder how much insurance is on a place like this?

I mean, how do you go to your insurance company and say: "Look, a hurricane just destroyed the pier, but I want to put something nicer and more costly on that same pier."

Is it bad that that's all I can think about with this?

I hate to be a downer here but according to the article in the first post of the thread, "The hotel was built in 1965 as a show of confidence after Hurricane Carla." This "show of confidence" replaced an amusement park that was wiped out by a hurricane. Now the "show of confidence" itself was wiped out by a hurricane and as a "show of confidence" they're going to build a theme park there. When do you officially cross the line between confidence and arrogance? SPOILER ALERT: It's going to happen again.

Fool me once, shame on... shame on... you fool me you can't get fooled again.

Last I heard was that a majority of what they are building will be able to be packed up and moved if a storm were to come. Also, they are doing a ton of repair work on the pier as well as adding reinforcement.

What happend with Ike at Kemah Boardwalk should also show that this company isn't afraid of hurricanes. The Kemah Boardwalk was partially open a few weeks after Ike hit and more and more gradually opened until about 5 months after Ike, everything was completely rebuilt. And when the next hurricane comes...they will rebuild again.

Theme Park Post is reporting the following:

In addition to the recent announcement of the new panoramic towers, Interlink also revealed that it will start on installation of a two-lift log flume at a pier in the southern United States at the end of 2011, in a turnkey project that will see the new ride opening in the spring of 2012 (details of the venue will be revealed at a later date). It will be approximately 280m in length and will feature 6m and 12m drops. Riders will travel in one of seven, five-seater boats.

This latest project comes on the back of the completion of several installations during 2011, in Europe, Scandinavia and Asia, along with the introduction during the year of a new mini flume ride, especially developed for the three to eight year old age group. As well as various models and sizes of log flume and the new mini flume, Interlink’s range of water rides includes the rapid river, Water Battle, Spin Boat and kiddy and junior flumes, all of which allow the company to cater to different customer requirements and a wide range of age groups. The new panoramic towers add yet further to the company’s growing product range.

Call me stupid, but putting two and two together....BINGO! We know where this is going. Almost a 40 foot drop, not too bad.

Link

^Well the reason we are speculating about the flume that the pier is getting is because Interlink Rides released a statement that they have been commissioned to build a new flume for an undisclosed pier amusement park in the Southern U.S. (which logically would make the most sense to be Galveston). But that portable one from Reverchon is exactly the sort of flume I think we will see on the pier.

Also, I have never seen Tilman Fertitta buy a used ride, so I would be shocked if he did now.