Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier Discussion Thread

P. 25: New TPR Iron Shark POV videos posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Re: New Amusement Park proposed for Galveston, Texas

Postby coasterphotos » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:05 pm

coasterbill wrote:
SharkTums wrote:I wonder how much insurance is on a place like this?

I mean, how do you go to your insurance company and say: "Look, a hurricane just destroyed the pier, but I want to put something nicer and more costly on that same pier."

Is it bad that that's all I can think about with this?

I hate to be a downer here but according to the article in the first post of the thread, "The hotel was built in 1965 as a show of confidence after Hurricane Carla." This "show of confidence" replaced an amusement park that was wiped out by a hurricane. Now the "show of confidence" itself was wiped out by a hurricane and as a "show of confidence" they're going to build a theme park there. When do you officially cross the line between confidence and arrogance? SPOILER ALERT: It's going to happen again.

Fool me once, shame on... shame on... you fool me you can't get fooled again.

Last I heard was that a majority of what they are building will be able to be packed up and moved if a storm were to come. Also, they are doing a ton of repair work on the pier as well as adding reinforcement.

What happend with Ike at Kemah Boardwalk should also show that this company isn't afraid of hurricanes. The Kemah Boardwalk was partially open a few weeks after Ike hit and more and more gradually opened until about 5 months after Ike, everything was completely rebuilt. And when the next hurricane comes...they will rebuild again.

Slightly racist and terrible at poetry

Postby Team Thriller » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:37 pm

They can name it 30,000 Leagues Under the Sea: The Ride

--James

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:32 am

Theme Park Post is reporting the following:

In addition to the recent announcement of the new panoramic towers, Interlink also revealed that it will start on installation of a two-lift log flume at a pier in the southern United States at the end of 2011, in a turnkey project that will see the new ride opening in the spring of 2012 (details of the venue will be revealed at a later date). It will be approximately 280m in length and will feature 6m and 12m drops. Riders will travel in one of seven, five-seater boats.

This latest project comes on the back of the completion of several installations during 2011, in Europe, Scandinavia and Asia, along with the introduction during the year of a new mini flume ride, especially developed for the three to eight year old age group. As well as various models and sizes of log flume and the new mini flume, Interlink’s range of water rides includes the rapid river, Water Battle, Spin Boat and kiddy and junior flumes, all of which allow the company to cater to different customer requirements and a wide range of age groups. The new panoramic towers add yet further to the company’s growing product range.

Call me stupid, but putting two and two together....BINGO! We know where this is going. Almost a 40 foot drop, not too bad.

Link

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby jzoole » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:41 am

I think it will probably just be one of those compact models you see at carnivals. Lift, small drop, lift, larger drop, station.

Like this one from the Interlink website.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby almightyfire » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:08 pm

that looks boring. that pier in galveston isnt that big..

Postby jzoole » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:36 pm

Yeah, it does look kind of boring. My guess is it will just be a slimmer version of this. But I could be way off.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Shavethewhales » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:39 pm

Do you think they bought Celebration City's old Revechon portable flume? It's not listed on ITAL anymore, but it is on Rides4U: http://rides4u.com/index.php/rides/detail/1262

They've been trying to get rid of it for 3 years now, so I'd imagine it's the best deal on the market for a semi-portable flume.

Postby jzoole » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:14 pm

^Well the reason we are speculating about the flume that the pier is getting is because Interlink Rides released a statement that they have been commissioned to build a new flume for an undisclosed pier amusement park in the Southern U.S. (which logically would make the most sense to be Galveston). But that portable one from Reverchon is exactly the sort of flume I think we will see on the pier.

Also, I have never seen Tilman Fertitta buy a used ride, so I would be shocked if he did now.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby GuruGuys » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:32 pm

jzoole wrote:
Also, I have never seen Tilman Fertitta buy a used ride, so I would be shocked if he did now.

They have bought used rides for Kemah Boardwalk before.

Postby jzoole » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:09 am

Which ones? I was pretty sure that all the rides on the boardwalk were bought new from Chance Morgan with the exception of the drop tower from Larson. I'm not saying I'm not wrong.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!