TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Rumor / Crazy Idea Superthread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Educated Guess, not a rumor per se, but given the fact that something is afoot for '12 at Six Flags Great America...and given the current space within which to work....e.g. Splashwater Falls area, and the fact that there ARE rumors that the former Barney Oldfield Six Flags Speedway (is getting moved or dismantled this season), logically speaking, I think we are looking at getting a "EuroFighter" in that location. A new coaster is great, and I'll ride it regardless, but I would LOVE SFGAM, to put in something with a little more throughput (guests/hour capacity), but the truth is I think we'll be getting a close clone of "DareDevil Dive" at SFOG.

We shall see.

From Screamscape:

2012 - Despicable Me & Kong 360 - Rumor - (3/11/11) I’m hearing rumors that either Universal will not lose the rights to use Jimmy Neutron until the end of the year, or that they may have struck an extension deal to allow the ride to continue to operate a little longer. Either way, the rumors about a 2012 replacement attraction, still thought to be themed to Despicable Me, is going strong.

From Screamscape:

2015/2016 - New Waterpark - Rumor - (3/17/11) Over the years I’ve talked on and off about the long term plan for Universal to build their very own on-site waterpark. This is because the land under Wet ‘n Wild was only leased to the park when it was built back in the mid ‘70s, and the clock has been ticking down towards the inevitable expiration date of the deal. While no one with solid knowledge of the deal has ever come forward to give an official answer about just how long the lease was for, several years ago I did read a report in the Orlando Business Journal that did confirm that the land owners would not be looking to sign another long term lease deal.

Why bring this up again? Because a few days before the Blackstone news broke, I had started to hear rumblings about possible preparations beginning again to get the official plan for this new on-site waterpark in development again. The plans would drop the new waterpark onto that remaining vacant site across the street from the backside of Ripsaw Falls and the big Jurassic Park building.

This time they are apparently not just in a Blue-Sky dreaming mode, as they have been previously when submitting a few guest surveys to find out just what kind of waterpark experience the public expected from the Universal brand name. If the rumors are true, the idea this time may be to put a solid entry for the waterpark project into the new 5-year Masterplan that Universal is working on as a follow up to the Potter-verse.

Five years is also an important date that may fit well into the scheme of things. While Wet ‘n Wild Orlando opened in 1977, the lease on the land would have likely been signed the year before (1976) which would make 2011 the 35th year of the lease. Many long term lease deals use rounded numbers, and while this is just speculation, 2016 would be year 40, and a good possible year for the lease to end. Again, this is all just speculation… but I’ve got a good feeling about this possible timeline. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see, as the current ownership shifts taking place between Comcast and Blackstone could cause some major ripples here.

EDIT: I apologize if this is considered a double post.

• 7 months later...

So this is MORE than just a rumour...but it`s not (totally) official yet.

Europa Park will be getting his 12. Rollercoaster in 2013 !!! I will be a powered suspended coaster with (faster) Rollercoaster and typical (slow) Darkride parts

Here we go :

http://www.mack-rides.com/en/products/coasters/suspended-powered-coaster/info/c-pcs-info.html

The ride will be 650 meters long, will leave the 15 meters high building (which will be located in the enchanted forest) for two times...and it will feature the amazing launch coaster seats (that you find for example on Blue Fire).

And I have to say that once again Europa Park makes me VERY happy...becoming the rollercoaster capital of Europe !

Six Flags Great America will get a giga soon. Why, out of all of the three major Six Flags parks (SFMM, SFGADv, SFGAm), SFGAm is the only one without a coaster taller than 300'.

The station would be on the Iron Wolf location and an overbanked turn would be next to the Rapids and that Theater (forgot it's name, though it's the Showtime Theater in CGA)

118000876_SFGAm2013.png.a4de49c48660440f9be99a5cdacd24ca.png

Edited by XYZ

Six Flags Great America will get a giga soon. Why, out of all of the three major Six Flags parks (SFMM, SFGADv, SFGAm), SFGAm is the only one without a coaster taller than 300'.

The station would be on the Iron Wolf location and an overbanked turn would be next to the Rapids and that Theater (forgot it's name, though it's the Showtime Theater in CGA)

Park maps really aren't the most accurate way to measure how much extra land the park has. I'd recommend using a satellite image instead.

On another note, all SF parks can be classified as "major" parks. The three you're referring to are the "flagship" parks (the highest performing parks in the chain).

There is a strong rumor going around that SDC will get a woodie in 2013. Multiple people on SDCFans have reported being told by various park workers that a wooden coaster is coming to the area by The Giant Swing. This matches up with one of the recent concept surveys the park passed out, where one of the concept pitches was a wooden coaster by Wilson's Barn. Apparently markers have already started showing up in the area.

In 2012, however, the park will only work on general improvements and festival additions, as has been confirmed by management.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this is old news, but I've been away for a long time... I did a forum search and found nothing...

I was at SDC yesterday and happened to be talking with an opp. We were looking at the abandoned Waterboggan tower and I had said I'd love to see the Wildcat moved there. He told me, "...as a matter of fact, they will open a new wooden coaster in 2012, but it will be down by the Giant Swing." He didn't know if it was entirely new or if they were moving Wildcat.

Has anybody heard anything about this?

Like I said earlier in this thread, officials at SDC have already come out and said that for 2012 they will focus on general improvements and festivals. However, 2013 is a definitely looking like a coaster year.

I was at the park this weekend (photo TR coming tomorrow) and got to finally see the construction markings myself. There's not much, and you have to be really quick while riding the train to look back after the tunnel and spot them in the trees, but they are definitely there, and it looks like they may get started moving some water lines and the like around this off-season in preparation.

We'll see what happens, but all my money is on a custom GCII with the station located where the old train robbery cabin and the first drop down into the valley on the other side of the train tracks. There's a lot of great terrain there to work with.

I'm surprised so many of the workers are specifically talking about next year though - makes me wonder if this project was originally planned for next year but got pushed back a year when the 2011 season ended up being so sluggish.

There's been some very strong rumors circulating through lately about what Legoland may have in store over the next year or so.

There's been a very nice chunk of land behind Pirate Shores that used to be a giant dirt hill that accumulated after the Waterpark was put in. Now that they've truck the dirt away, there's room for either an expansion of Pirate Shores or the Waterpark, both of which have supposedly been discussed.

The other rumor was that Legoland may have a relatively "big" addition for 2013 to open in conjunction with the Hotel (which has final begun construction!).

At this point, the Hotel rumor makes sense. Add a big flashy attraction to bring guests into your park from all over Western US, and offer them a hotel on site to stay multiple days. Carlsbad really is a great location for Legoland, as it can also serve as a "home base" with around four parks within an hour drive.

Frontier city just posted this on their facebook: http://www.facebook.com/frontiercitythemepark

The holidays are just around the corner and a little elf just told me that Frontier City is getting something big under the tree for next year. Hmm.... wonder what it could be?????

Sounds like something good will be coming to the park. I fully expect a thrill ride at this point given their current market, but a water ride would certainly not be out of the question if they can find a place to fit it. I doubt they're getting a coaster yet though.

My hopes are for a Zamperla discovery or a similar frissbee ride, but I wouldn't mind a starflyer, power surge, or, well, really anything at this point

An update on the Frontier City situation: soil testing drills have been spotted in the old Six Flags HQ parking lot on the very south end of the park outside Wildcat's first drop. There are markers all over the parking lot including a stake that is on the other side of the lot by the roadway. This is a prime piece of land for a showy attraction being right next to the roadway and in front of everything, and it's large enough yet out of the way enough that they're either going to put a coaster here or they're making new area of the park. There's a photo here (I don't have permission to repost yet): http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=1380.msg36423#msg36423

This actually has me excited. If they were going to go with a basic flat, there are other areas in the park I think they'd put it. This piece of land seems like it would be reserved for a coaster, especially with Burke and Story behind the scenes now. I could see an euro fighter 420 working perfectly here.