Brandy in the Kitchen

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
I make cake

Re: Brandy in the Kitchen

Postby Brandy524 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:53 am

This is not a recipe, but rather a step-by-step look at the Pre-DSB cake. I'll have an unconventional recipe posted today, also. Enjoy!
September 117-1.jpg
We start with a cake round covered in foil.
Viewed 782 times
September 118.jpg
Add one layer of white cake.
Viewed 782 times
September 119.jpg
Cover that with buttercream.
Viewed 782 times
September 120.jpg
Add another layer of white cake.
Viewed 782 times
September 121.jpg
Cover it all with more buttercream.
Viewed 782 times
September 123.jpg
Cover the buttercream with marshmallow fondant. I skipped taking pictures of making and coloring the fondant.
Viewed 782 times
September 124.jpg
Moving on to the top tier. Chocolate cake with buttercream.
Viewed 782 times
September 125.jpg
Another layer of chocolate cake. And I forgot to take any more pictures of the top tier.
Viewed 782 times
September 126.jpg
Fondant logo!
Viewed 782 times
September 127.jpg
Roller coaster goes all the way around the bottom tier.
Viewed 782 times
September 128.jpg
Drawn on with food color markers.
Viewed 782 times
September 129.jpg
Viewed 782 times
September 130.jpg
Also done with food color markers.
Viewed 782 times
September 132.jpg
Ta da!
Viewed 782 times
September 133.jpg
Three flags...
Viewed 782 times
September 134.jpg
And three more flags. (The cake is not crooked, the picture is)
Viewed 782 times

I make cake

Postby Brandy524 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:45 am

And now for something completely different. It's a recipe, and I made it my kitchen, but you can't eat it! Well, I guess you could, but it probably wouldn't taste good. Drumroll, please........

Homemade Laundry Detergent! This is a Duggar recipe. Don't laugh! My cousin actually turned me onto it and I am blown away. It's unbelievable the money you can save making your own detergent. And for those of you saving up for a 2012 TPR trip (sadly, not myself), this may help put a little extra money in your trip savings! Here's the recipe, followed by a little math:

4 Cups - hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

*Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda" - in some stores or may be purchased online. Baking Soda will not work, nor will Arm & Hammer Detergent - It must be sodium carbonate!!

Now the math. I'm assuming you do not have a five-gallon bucket and lid handy and including that in the calculations. These are just estimates based on the prices at Wal-Mart. Prices will vary according to your store of choice. This should be enough for roughly 4 batches of detergent.

Bucket and Lid: $5
Soap bar: $4 (four bars x $1 each)
Washing Soda: $5
Borax: $10
TOTAL: $24 for four batches; $6 per batch. Each batch is approx. 180 loads or 640 loads depending on the type of machine.

In comparison, we were Gain users prior to this. A 32 load bottle of original Gain is approx. $6.

You'd have to buy 6 bottles of Gain to get 180 loads. That's approx. $36.
You'd have to buy 20 bottles of Gain to get 640 loads. That's approx. $120.

180 loads for $6 or $36?
640 loads for $6 or $120?

Which would you rather pay? See, lots of money to be saved! =)
September 151.jpg
It's blurry, and I didn't take a picture me actually grating the soap. I actually didn't think to do a report until after I had finished grating.
Viewed 780 times
September 152.jpg
Soap melting in the pot.
Viewed 780 times
September 153.jpg
Just to reiterate, do NOT get baking soda!
Viewed 780 times
September 154.jpg
The girls were counting the mules on the box to see if there were actually 20.
Viewed 780 times
September 155.jpg
Bucket.
Viewed 780 times
September 156.jpg
Fill it half full of hot water. Danny told me not to take his picture. I told him not to worry, it's only his legs and hand.
Viewed 780 times
September 157.jpg
1 cup of washing soda.
Viewed 780 times
September 158.jpg
Soap's almost melted.
Viewed 780 times
September 159.jpg
1/2 cup of Borax.
Viewed 780 times
September 160.jpg
Powders stirred up in the hot water.
Viewed 780 times
September 161.jpg
Melted soap stirred up in the water.
Viewed 780 times
September 162.jpg
Fill the bucket the rest of the way with hot water. Do NOT use the sprayer after the soap has been added. It will bubble like crazy!
Viewed 780 times
September 163.jpg
All mixed up.
Viewed 780 times
September 164.jpg
Cover and let it sit for 24 hours.
Viewed 780 times
September 165.jpg
After it's set. You may not be able to tell from the picture, but the soap has congealed. Stir it well! And the bucket is in our broom closet, that's why the floor is dirty!

I haven't put any into a detergent bottle yet because I haven't finished using what's already in the bottle. But you can read what to do in the recipe! Go forth in frugality!
Viewed 780 times

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:14 am

I was really considering trying making my own soap. The only problem is I have no idea where to get the ingredients. I have never even heard of Fels Neptha. Did you find it in a store?

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:22 am

Nice work on the TPR cake, Brandy!

I always use the Fight Club method when making homemade soap.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

I make cake

Postby Brandy524 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Moose wrote:I was really considering trying making my own soap. The only problem is I have no idea where to get the ingredients. I have never even heard of Fels Neptha. Did you find it in a store?

I got all my ingredients at Wal-Mart. You don't have to use the Fels Naptha bar, though. Any kind of bar laundry soap will work. My cousin uses a different brand, though I'm not sure the name of it.

Just so you know how good this stuff works, Danny said he'll never go back to regular detergent. This stuff cleans so much better!

BeemerBoy wrote:Nice work on the TPR cake, Brandy!

I always use the Fight Club method when making homemade soap.

Thanks, Scott! And I've never seen Fight Club, so I have no idea what that means. =)

Postby Moose » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:23 pm

I'll definitely look for the stuff the next time I'm at wallyworld. (I only go early Saturday morning or I may be tempted to kill people.)

A quick question on a past Brandy in the Kitchen the Cake pops... How far in advance can I make them? I'm thinking of making them for a Halloween party but nit sure how many days in advance I can do them. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Moose on Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:42 pm.

I make cake

Postby Brandy524 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Moose wrote:I'll definitely look for the stuff the next time I'm at wallyworld. (I only go early Saturday morning or I may be tempted to kill people.)

A quick question on a past Brandy in the Kitchen the Cake pops... How far in advance can I make them? I'm thinking of making them for a Halloween party but nit sure how many days in advance I can do them. Any thoughts?

They will keep for at least a week, if not longer. Once they're dipped in the candy coating the cake part will not dry out or anything. They have a much, much longer shelf life than regular cake or cupcakes. I've done Halloween ones before with orange coating and drawn jack-o-lantern faces with a food color pen, and also made some pumpkins with piped on stems and vines for a fall wedding. They are so much fun to decorate! I just got an order today for four dozen owl cake pops.

Postby Moose » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:33 pm

^I was thinking of doing those two, plus i think I saw an example of mummies somewhere. I'll have to look around for it.

That's great that you are getting orders for something that you love! The owls sound cute, be sure to take a pic.

I make cake

Postby Brandy524 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:42 pm

I was just getting ready to post a new recipe when I was informed that we're closing the office in 20 minutes. Yay for closing early, but boo that I don't have to time to resize my pics and put the recipe up before I leave. But at least you'll have something to look forward to on Monday! Cookie Dough Bites. Yum! Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone!

Postby Moose » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:41 pm

^Sounds Yummy.

I ended up making the cake pops for Halloween. I used spice mix and cream cheese frosting but skipped on the sticks. They were delicious and everyone raved about them, but in retrospect not using sticks made it more difficult and I think I didn't get the candy coating hot enough.
IMG_1021.JPG
My Ghosts and Jack-O-Lanterns
Viewed 582 times

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random