TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

...After riding the carousel (nine ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings, smashing my personal best of eight - I know, I suck), I went straight back to you-know-what...

Nice, sounds like you only missed one, because once I caught a ring every time and ended up with 10. I was proud of myself since usually when I ride a ring carousel, I miss the first or last, and sometimes one or two in between.

I'm curious about reports on the timing of the Black Diamond stunts. I don't know much about dark rides, but I would guess that simple adjustments would at least make things better for the front car, and possibly the second also.

Nice, sounds like you only missed one, because once I caught a ring every time and ended up with 10. I was proud of myself since usually when I ride a ring carousel, I miss the first or last, and sometimes one or two in between.

I'm curious about reports on the timing of the Black Diamond stunts. I don't know much about dark rides, but I would guess that simple adjustments would at least make things better for the front car, and possibly the second also.

I was once able to get 14 ring s, and that was with a couple of misses. If I got really good, and didn't miss every time, I would have ended up with 20 ring s.

As for the timing of the stunts- there are several stunts that "fall" onto you. The problem is that the stunt activates when the front of the train is a good 6 feet away from it. If the stunt activates when you are right next to it, it gives that surprise effect which makes it a good trick. They should make the falling barrel trick activate when the 1st car is right in front of it, and then make the falling rock trick activate when the 2nd car is right in front of it. They did however, get the timing for the collapsing ceiling right.

Edited by RCoasterny

Yeah, the second time I rode it was at least four or five laps before they even put out the dispenser, and I missed two in a row about halfway through my ride. The first time I rode I often picked the ring out of the dispenser easily but it would slip out of my hand and fall to the carousel floor!

Yeah, the second time I rode it was at least four or five laps before they even put out the dispenser, and I missed two in a row about halfway through my ride. The first time I rode I often picked the ring out of the dispenser easily but it would slip out of my hand and fall to the carousel floor!

I think I averaged around 6 or 7 rings, but I pittied the people who sat on the horses behind me since the ring would slip out of my reach and go flying behind me. I think there were a couple of rings laying on the ground behind my horse.

Ah, I wasn't sure if the carousel runs the same cycle every time, or if they put the arm out at a consistent time. Sounds like 10 may be a bit low then. I've also heard of people who can grab two or more "at a time", but my horse always moves so fast I feel like I can barely get one!

^I'm one of those 2 at a time people. It's all about the technique! But if you can master it, you can grab about 20 rings on average.

We ended up riding Black Diamond Sunday once all of the hype died down a bit. Still waited the better part of an hour but, by then all the glitches seemed to be over with and the line was rolling right along. I have to say, yet another great great move for the Knoebel family. I remember as a kid watching that desolate golden nugget building from afar ( mid 90's or so) wondering if I would ever get a chance to ride it. I agree with the folks earlier on in the thread that a few of the effects were a little off in timing.. but still what a blast from the past kind of ride!

Well, I'm glad that the BLack Diamond is up and running, but I don't have any plans of running to Knoebels anytime soon. I still swore an oath to myself not to return to Knoebels until The Lying Turds was up and running. If I have to break that oath in a few years and return, then I may do so, but today I'll still keep to that oath.

"Then how about swearing an oath to me, like I'll stop typing and go to bed more often?"

^I'm one of those 2 at a time people. It's all about the technique! But if you can master it, you can grab about 20 ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings on average.

I had no idea it was possible to grab two at a time. It's hard enough grabbing one, I'm trying to figure out how it's even feasible to grab two. Two hands? Multiple fingers? Magnets? Laser beams? Miniature elves hidden in your sleeves that jump out and grab the rings then toss them to you? UGH... how!?!?

^I'm one of those 2 at a time people. It's all about the technique! But if you can master it, you can grab about 20 ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings on average.

I had no idea it was possible to grab two at a time. It's hard enough grabbing one, I'm trying to figure out how it's even feasible to grab two. Two hands? Multiple fingers? Magnets? Laser beams? Miniature elves hidden in your sleeves that jump out and grab the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings then toss them to you? UGH... how!?!?

Lean forward, grab the first one as fast as you can with index finger.. than second one with your pinky finger.

Triples for Knoebels carousel is really hard. If I'm not trying to catch the rings I can probably get three to fall out of the holder but.. its too fast for that!

It was mentioned maybe a page ago if anyone had rode both Black Diamond and Golden Nugget. I want to revive that question! Outside of watching the building fall apart.. I never got to ride it or see the inside at Moreys.

^^^I'd like to visit that one someday. On a related note, is it just me or do ring carousels seem to run faster than other ones? I find them slightly nauseating to watch, but I wasn't sure if they're actually faster or if I just spend more time observing them because, after all, I don't bother queueing for most normal carousels.

The one time I tried to pull doubles every lap (two years ago), I leaned forward and out to grab the first one from the dispenser and then immediately leaned backward and out in an attempt to grab the second one. That way I didn't have to twiddle my fingers around. It worked twice during that ride.

^^^I'd like to visit that one someday. On a related note, is it just me or do ring carousels seem to run faster than other ones? I find them slightly nauseating to watch, but I wasn't sure if they're actually faster or if I just spend more time observing them because, after all, I don't bother queueing for most normal carousels.

I think because of the size of the carousel makes it look faster. Knoebel's carousel is the only regular carousel I know of that has 4-abreast horses. Most I've seen are 3-abreast. Derby Racers are 4 abreast as well. Knoebel's carousel probably turns at the standard speed as other carousels, but since it's diameter is much larger, the outside row moves much more faster.

^That was my original understanding of ring carousels. Nowadays the SCBB one, as well as the others I've ridden, releases them continuously throughout the ride. Incidentally, Knoebels is the only park I've visited that is known for having a brass ring in play every cycle.

This past weekend I headed to Knoebels for Hallo-Fun Nights and I have to say this will now be an annual tradition. I had an amazing time, loved the Antique Cars turning into an Haunted Attraction and the train ride with all the halloween props. The only downside was that the Bumper Cars are not included which I ALWAYS look forward to. The food was great as always plus they even had this yummy Pumpkin Bundt Cake thing.

The Black Diamond was a very good Dark Ride/Coaster and was glad it finally opened. I had never ridden it when it was at Wildwood, although I did see it there but it not operating I think in 1996. It really fit into Knoebles very well and definitely is something people should check out!

Went to the park on October 15th with some friends and had a amazing time! This was my first time to the park for their Halloween festivities. Even though the boo and I got there early (like 12:30) and the park did not open until 2 there was a wedding taking place right in yard in front of the Haunted Mansion. It was really decorated very nicely and you can tell they wanted a fall/Halloween themed wedding. Also they had breakfast early as well as activities for the kiddies. If was fun watching the kids face plant into the pool of corn at the bottom of the slide. They brought in two temporary rides for the event. There was a spider swing ride right in front of the Antique Cars called Spider Mania (I think) and they brought in a carnival fun house called Monkey House (I think). Yes, the group of us adults and 2 children went through the fun house.

The food was great as usual - except for their Maryland crab cakes. Not good at all. Note - never get Maryland style crab cakes outside of Maryland. My BF loved the atmosphere and said he has never seen such great customer service at a park before - well maybe Hershey he said. I will say I don't like how they do not have the entire park open for the event. I really missed getting on the bumper cars!!