TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shane's Amusement Attic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading comprehension 101....

Season 5 of Shane's Amusement Attic will begin Monday, September 19th

I absolutely cannot wait until Friday arrives!

I really need to stop posting stuff when I'm half awake

Yes, I did deserve that. I should have noticed the date change...

As for the thrill lift, that is a design I've always wished Vekoma had at least attempted... Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there only one tilt coaster currently in the world because of the amount of issues the tilt mechanism causes?

Hello TPR, and welcome to the fifth season of Shane's Amusement Attic. I have got some great stuff for you this season. Old Stuff, Industry Stuff and some pretty nifty EXCLUSIVE stuff you will only see here in Shane's Amusement Attic. (I guess that is what exclusive means)

So who is this Shane guy you ask? I am just like the rest of you...just a nerdy kid that loved roller coasters. I took that geeky passion and turned it into a career that has been most enjoyable. It all started back in the sleepy town of San Diego. Rather than me tell you about it why don't you read it for yourself.

Below is an article that appeared in the San Diego Union when I was just a 14 (1979) year old kid. It would seem that back in those days my "unique" hobby was worth a story in the news paper. This article is a nice segway into our first exclusive. Take note of the highlighted paragraph and get ready to take flight.

Season 5 begins NOW!

1591392599_shanenewspaper.thumb.jpg.2fc1b9f528f198427f70c200c92882de.jpg

Edited by montezooma

The above article briefly mentioned a park by the name of Air World being developed in San Diego. The actual name of the park was AeroWorld and here is an exclusive look at one of the most original theme park concepts that never was.

There is still more to come of this beautiful concept so keep a close eye on this thread for more.

Edited by montezooma

Aero World was planned for the Mira Mesa area of San Diego. It actually was very close to becoming a reality. As a kid I would go to the offices quite often to get caught up on the progress of the park. Meyers Jacobson was the genius behind this project. He was a huge aviation fan and it was his concept to marry the aviation museum aspect with the family fun of a theme park.

A huge part of getting this theme park off the ground was their attempt to get the Spruce Goose to set up permanent display at the park. The struggle to get this huge air/seacraft to the park went on for years but eventually went to the Queen Mary in Long Beach. This was probably the first strike against the park. Another huge feature of the park was going to be daily air shows but since the park was in the flight path of the Mira Mar naval Air Force Base they navy strongly opposed them. Eventually Aero World was approved by the city of San Diego along with the daily air shows. The land was purchased and zoned for the park. Unfortunately the parks timing came about during the late 70’s and early 80’s and interest rates were huge and getting financing for the project never materialized.

The concept later materialized in Arizona as Aero Park America. Those plans will also be featured as part of this Season.

Here is a more in depth look at the different theme areas of the park.

The below image shows the entrance to the park as well as the European Village section of the park. This major ride of this area was to be an Arrow Flume.

In this photo you can see the three themed areas of Barnstormers Fair, The Early Bird Aerodrome and Red Baron Aerodrome. Some rides of significance can clearly be seen in these areas. You can see the "Flying Tiger Cargo Coaster" which was to be an Arrow mine coaster as it intertwines with the rail road and the old fashion car ride. There also seems to be a barnstormer ride, which would have been a perfect ride for this park. There is a carousel next to a games area which seems very similar to the games section of the County Fair section of the Great America parks. To the right and off the path a bit was to be a Wood Coaster that was going to be added several years after the park opened. A dark ride was also housed in the building to the right in the Early Bird Aerodrome section.

This section of the park would have been the action area of the park. It had a very futuristic feel and represented the latest in thrill rides for that time. A very large Arrow steel looping coaster dubbed "the Meteor" anchored the section as well as the "Jet Catapult", a Schwarzkopf shuttle loop that was themed to an aircraft carrier. There was also a Enterprise in the area and many of the renderings show a Parachute tower, but it doesn't seem to be on the site plan.

Edited by montezooma

Shane, thank you so much for reopening the door to your absolutely amazing closet. I envy your knowledge and accumulation of great material.

After reading through the Aero World plans it seems it was more focused on being a living, breathing museum with a few rides thrown in more than being an actual theme park. I like the concept as it is/was very original. I wonder what it would have been like today if it was built.

After reading through the Aero World plans it seems it was more focused on being a living, breathing museum with a few rides thrown in more than being an actual theme park. I like the concept as it is/was very original. I wonder what it would have been like today if it was built.

I Agree with it being more a Museum. It might've worked better as Indoor Amusement Park. Something Like AdventureDome with Aviation Maybe?

Hearing about AeroWorld; Reminds me as an Outdoor Six Flags Power Plant/ Six Flags Autoworld

I Agree with it being more a Museum. It might've worked better as Indoor Amusement Park. Something Like AdventureDome with Aviation Maybe?

Hearing about AeroWorld; Reminds me as an Outdoor Six Flags Power Plant/ Six Flags Autoworld

Aero World was definitely designed around famous airplanes and aviation history but Meyers realised that this would have a limited appeal to a specific market. He built the theme park with all kinds of rides, shows, restaurants and retail around the Aviation theme to make it have a very broad family appeal. The park today would have been more like a Busch park rather than a Six Flags park. As you can see from this next post it has a more "theme park" look to it rather than a museum.

Those renderings are incredible. It's unfortunate that the park didn't take off like it was supposed to since it seems to have a lot of potential in terms of rides/theming. It kinda reminds me of the Busch/Herschend parks with large coasters and elaborate themes... or what SF used to be.

Can't wait to see the CGA thrill lift concept.

KILLS me that AeroWorld never happened. As a slightly more than casual fan of aviation and rocketry and such, I think this was and is still a fantastic thematic anchor for an entire park. Maybe it's a bit too specific and limited for a wide general audience, but I would hope not.

Awesome stuff; thanks again!!!