TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

With Behemoth being so new, I wonder if a similar ride would make it much less popular, or if it will only slightly reduce the wait times.

Nah, it'll make the park a lot more popular .

It's a dream scenario really. We'll be happy for a very long time and lines should be consistently busy for both mega structures during peak summer months. The line problems are essentially with the smaller coasters so the non-dare devils who feel like passing out when they just look at Behemoth will hopefully enjoy slightly shorter lines.

Just a few things.

1. B&M Giga. My God.

2. I have confirmed that it will be named Leviathan (already pretty much knew it, but I'm beyond 100% now).

3. I've also learned that it could very possibly have some type of water/splash effect (although I'm not 100% on that one).

4. Still don't know about the track length. I've heard it might be rather short-ish for a giga, which still might mean it has a launch and/or tons of flat turns. We'll find out soon enough on that one.

5. B&M Giga. My God.

Just a few things.

1. B&M Giga. My God.

2. I have confirmed that it will be named Leviathan (already pretty much knew it, but I'm beyond 100% now).

3. I've also learned that it could very possibly have some type of water/splash effect (although I'm not 100% on that one).

4. Still don't know about the track length. I've heard it might be rather short-ish for a giga, which still might mean it has a launch and/or tons of flat turns. We'll find out soon enough on that one.

5. B&M Giga. My God.

Calling it now: B&M Giga-Dive Machine. It's the only way they can differentiate it from Behemoth and the 'relatively short' + 'splash effect' pretty much seals the deal.

There's also no way I could see this being a launched giga-coaster. We already know B&M is leery of incorporating launches into their rides. Adding in the fact that this will be a giga-coaster (a first for B&M), I just don't see them pushing the envelope that much with one ride. The other side of the coin is the fact that this project comes from a Cedar Fair park. They've had a good relationship with Intamin, which is much more well suited to handling a launched giga-coaster based on their experience. So the question would come down to, why would Cedar Fair and B&M go for such a risky venture?

Edited by orangeblue

^That could also very well be what it is. It would be interesting to me to see what type of pull out the first drop would have going into the next element, seeing how it would be pushing 100 mph. However, a couple things that point away from dive machine are the size of the track and the markers that have been discovered going all the way to the parking lot. It could have the smaller dive coaster trains, making the track size smaller, and it could be some type of out and back design (which would help alleviate the ridiculous forces of a 95-100 mph drop). We'll see!

Good point. Haven't really looked at the track much. Dive machine track is pretty distinctive due to its wideness. All I can say is this project will be very interesting to follow!

Edit: It's really hard to tell the track width from the angles of the pictures. More wait-and-see I guess.

^ Edit 2: Didn't think of that with the pullout. Griffon and Sheikra both have large pullouts and their drops are only ~200ft.

Edited by orangeblue

Maybe they can use the smaller Dive machine trains like on Krake at Hyde Park. I've always thought that a smaller train on a gigantic drop would be unbelievable, kind of like how the older Intamin drop towers with individual 4 person cars are more intense than the larger gyro drop style towers.

Now that B&M is in the game, Hyper/Mega Coasters will become the old and Giga Coasters will become the new standard at parks. The future of coasters.

Not sure about that, first we have to wait and see if this design, whatever it is, is a success. Secondly, there's a reason that Intamin only built two in over a decade. They take up a huge amount of space, space that most parks don't have, and they also cost a bit more than hypers.

I can see this ride having over banked turns and helixes; behemoth is an airtime machine, seems like cf would want a bit of variety for canadas wonderland. Right now, I really don't know what to think; B&Ms been going out on a wing (har, har) lately, and this is totally new. For all I know, it could be an inverted giga with no inverions and a lot of turns. Or it could be a really awesome dive machine. I know that the track is correlative to the ride's style, but this just feels so new...they may pull a fast one. My question is, whether this ride is launched nor whether it breaks the 300' mark, what has changed b&m so drastically in the last year?

Think about it...in just the last few months we've seen more new stuff from b&m than most years. (in case you were wondering, I'm talking about their dive lite at heide park, while not a huge leap it is new, Starry night ripper, The swarm and x-raptor, Hair raiser for the unique layout, whatever the hell the lucky bastards at parc astrix are getting with their invert with the dive loop and the wtf drop, and now this)

What's going on?

^Maybe B&M started reading this forum and heard everyone bitching about how their rides over the past decade have sucked and are all the same and everyone now loves Intamin?

Also if the name is really Leviathian like Steve says (I believe ya man) I wonder if this ride will have themeing similar to Krake at Hyde park. A Leviathian (according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan) is some sort of biblical sea monster, and B&M seems to have been delivering more extensive themeing than normal with their recent coasters (X-Raptor, Krake, Swarm), so maybe this thing will have the some sea monster boat tunnels also or something.

There's also no way I could see this being a launched giga-coaster. We already know B&M is leery of incorporating launches into their rides. Adding in the fact that this will be a giga-coaster (a first for B&M), I just don't see them pushing the envelope that much with one ride. The other side of the coin is the fact that this project comes from a Cedar Fair park. They've had a good relationship with Intamin, which is much more well suited to handling a launched giga-coaster based on their experience. So the question would come down to, why would Cedar Fair and B&M go for such a risky venture?

This coaster just proves that we shouldn't be leery about B&M doing anything (within reason in the realm of reality). I'm sure many of us have been told to be leery of thinking that B&M would ever go over the fantasy threshold of 230', which may have applied at one time over a decade ago.

Companies change with the times to stay relevant and B&M has proven that they're still very relevant with all the cool stuff they've been doing over the past year and moving forward. At this point, I wouldn't put anything past them for future designs, including launches, which is awesome stuff. They're one of the only companies left not using launches as far as I know?

Edited by rollin_n_coastin

Just a few things.

1. B&M Giga. My God.

5. B&M Giga. My God.

Have you got insider connections within the CF chain Steve? You seem to claim to know about most of CF's 2012 projects so far than most...just thought I'd ask.

My bets are on a simple out & back model for the layout of this ride,perhaps with the diving curve we've seen on many of their hypers lately such as Nitro & carowinds' intimidator just to name a few.

I dunno, I saw Wonderland perfectly fine from the 407. Maybe I'm just hallucinating the giant hypercoaster and windseeker in the distance or something.

No, you're right - you can see Wonderland from the 407. IIRC, you can see it best just east of Jane where it passes over the train tracks.

OK. I am uber excited about this since I live less than 5 minutes from the park and have been a season's pass holder for many years. I've been reading the posts and here are my two cents (for what it's worth).

I believe it will be record breaking but possibly only for Canada (not a hard goal to beat). It wont be for longest. Marineland holds that one with Dragon Mountain and with them selling the land north of the park they just don't have the space. If it's for height then they'll break their own record with Behemoth. Other parks have done that but i don't think they would do that for wonderland. Obviously we can already see it will be B&M and they haven't built one big enough to beat the world record. It may be for the most inversions or Canada's first launched roller coaster. That's my bet.

Being located where contruction already begun, Leviathan seems an appropriate name since it's in the "Medival Fair" part of the park. Anything "Dragon" is already taken unless, godforbid, they take down Dragon Flyer.

Either way, great endorsements from park reviewers on the inside scoop and I can't wait until tomorrow morning. Let's just hope I can see it from my 2nd story window like behemoth. LOL

...or Canada's first launched roller coaster. That's my bet.

Completely ignoring Backlot Stunt Coaster, lol

With someone like Kinzel talking about breaking records, it's serious business. I don't think he'd make a statement like that for Canada's tallest/fastest/longest, etc. That said, it's difficult to hazard a guess as to what the record will be.

Also if the name is really Leviathian like Steve says (I believe ya man) I wonder if this ride will have themeing similar to Krake at Hyde park. A Leviathian (according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan) is some sort of biblical sea monster, and B&M seems to have been delivering more extensive themeing than normal with their recent coasters (X-Raptor, Krake, Swarm), so maybe this thing will have the some sea monster boat tunnels also or something.

Themeing is more on the park/chain. As far as I know the manufacturers have little or nothing to do with theming other than how the ride will behave around it. CF, not too big on the theming so I'm not going to assume any good European park style theming.

I really hope it does receive some decent theming to give Medieval Faire a chance for a makeover. Other than some stone paths and borders, the theatre, and Marketplace, the area has almost completely lost it's medieval touch. I've always wished that they'd rename Riptide and Drop Tower the next time they're in need of new paint.

Themeing is more on the park/chain. As far as I know the manufacturers have little or nothing to do with theming other than how the ride will behave around it. CF, not too big on the theming so I'm not going to assume any good European park style theming.

It definitely is more on the park and chain but the ride company can partner with an outside design company to offer the themeing as a total package. X-Raptor and Swarm look so similar with a slightly different story at two different parks in different chains that I think B&M might be providing the themeing as a package with the ride system, or the same design company is collaborating with B&M on their different projects. How many B&M's before X-Raptor featured any type of extensive themeing at all (other than Black Mamba, and maybe Sheikra and manta)? This is so uniquefor B&M that I think it's not a coincidence, I expect most of the wing riders to feature similar props and themeing.

^Look at the TRs for both Gardaland and Thorpe Park. They have tremendous theming throughout the parks, more than what I've seen in any of the US parks I've visited. CF, and SF for that fact, are not that big on spending a decent amount of money on theming their rides. Believe me I would LOVE to see a XRaptor or Swarm style theming but I don't think it's going to happen.