TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review in JAPAN! 2011

^ Yeah, someone posted that already, and I've seen it before. It still doesn't change what I said, that these ride vehicles are very different. Nothing like them have been used on anything else at any other Disney park that I've seen so far.

Does anyone know anything about the next Version of Toy Story Mania going in to Tokyo Disney Sea? Is it going to be a clone...or is it going to be somewhat different? I really haven't heard anything about it.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Yeah, someone posted that already, and I've seen it before. It still doesn't change what I said, that these ride vehicles are very different. Nothing like them have been used on anything else at any other Disney park that I've seen so far.

Does anyone know anything about the next Version of Toy Story Mania going in to Tokyo Disney Sea? Is it going to be a clone...or is it going to be somewhat different? I really haven't heard anything about it.

Its Tokyo Disneysea, they will take the awesome quota up to 11, LOL. Seriously though, it could be the same exact ride but they will somehow make it better.

Robb, I hope you figured out how to use the flashlight. I know it's a hard concept to grasp, and takes some practice and perfection.

But I promise you, it will come in handy one day. Next time you want to make a hat dance.

Its Tokyo Disneysea, they will take the awesome quota up to 11, LOL. Seriously though, it could be the same exact ride but they will somehow make it better.

Exactly. Like their version of Turtle Talk. Sure, the show is pretty much the same, but they did this VERY elaborate story of how they cut the whole into the ship to be able to talk to the sea animals, and created tons of back story, and mocked up photos of the construction crews building it in turn of the century NYC, etc...

You just went "Wow, in America, they just plop you down in this plain blue theater, but in Tokyo, they build it up to be something really cool!"

I saw the Duffy display in World of Disney this week and it made me miss Japan. But I still hate him. Can we please replace him with Shiriki instead? Or Chandu?? A tiger cub is way cuter than that dumb bear! Anyway, yeah, Tokyo Disney is amazing and that's all.

Maybe we can combine them into a tiger cub with a evil tiki mask on who loves to play jokes on people (who cares if the punchline is death!) and call him Chandiki? I'd carry him around with me everywhere!

My goodness!! Journey to the Center of the Earth is breathtaking!! The video quality is so good, I was better able to appreciate the theming this time. Nothing can compare to Disney Seas. Thank you so much for this update and for making us feel like we're actually there! The bomb!!

Luis

So does Tokyo Disneyland have both a Monsters Inc ride and a Buzz Lightyear ride, or the Monsters Inc ride instead? I wish the Monsters Inc ride at California Adventure was more interactive like the Tokyo one. And don't get me started on the crappy California Pooh ride. So jealous of Tokyo's good Pooh ride.

Hello TPR, long-time lurker here. I've been following the Japan and Europe trip reports for a while. This one especially has been so much fun - I've been reading them, looking at the photos and watching the videos before going to sleep each night and they never fail to make me wish I was there!

I actually used to live in Japan, and unfortunately the only park I managed to get to see apart from Tokyo Disneyland was Haus Ten Bosch, which while lovely, doesn't exactly have any credits.

Tokyo Disneyland was the second "Magic Kingdom" I'd ever been to after Paris and yeah, it may not be the most beautiful park, and the "standard" rides may not be exceptional, but the staff, shows and general atmosphere are awesome. Unlike Robb, I am very much a show and parade person, and TDL certainly delivers. The only think I don't like about the Japanese parks is the... "lack" of audience participation. I know it's not "Japanese nature" to whoop and holler, but I do feel audience reactions add a lot to the rides and shows.

And then there's Tokyo DisneySea. I don't really want to repeat what's already been said, but yeah. It's an AMAZING park. The theming is mindblowing and the rides are unique. Actually, I especially loved the last few updates because I only got to visit for one day and judging by your photos I missed a lot!

Right. Before this becomes an essay, I just wanted to thank Robb and the TPR crew for a fantastic set of photos and videos, and leave you with another example of Tokyo DisneySea's meticulous attention to detail. Taken in the Mediterranean Harbour area, it shows one of the boats moored near the entrance piazza. They're called "Qui", "Quo" and "Qua"... which are the Italian names of Huey, Dewey & Louie. Nobody will ever get that and yet, they went to the trouble of making that zone "authentically Italian". Amazing.

^That is incredibly awesome right there. I absolutely love the little details like that that are abundant at Disney parks, and, obviously absolutely everywhere at TDS .

What did you think of the Monsters Inc ride? It doesn't seem as mind-blowing as, say, Pooh, but the Sulley AA looks really cool!

I never really realised how amazingly brilliant TDL Resort was until I browsed through this wonderful report. The theming here just seems breathtaking all around, like a step back in time, even by Disney standards this is amazing. The videos are great and I found the TOT one particularly interesting. Hope all you guys had a blast!

What did you think of the Monsters Inc ride? It doesn't seem as mind-blowing as, say, Pooh, but the Sulley AA looks really cool!

It's not as mind blowing, but it's really good! It's hard to compare a ride when it sits in such close proximity to rides like Pooh and Journey, but if that Monsters Inc was here in one of the USA parks, it would probably be considered one of the best rides Disney has built.

If you don't mind my .02 on this, I was highly unimpressed with Monsters Inc. at Tokyo Disneyland. When I went last year it was the only ride open for early entry (Star Tours had already closed for rehab) so of course everyone had run over there (actually to the fast pass line like Robb pointed out earlier). So after waiting 30 minutes in line we finally got on the ride and all you do is point a flashlight at "hard hats" to make things happen while people in the other cars do the same. I actually put away the flashlight and just enjoyed the story while everyone else pointed their flashlights at the items. Its an interactive ride but at the same time it really is not, I can say its a cute ride but, (and I really hate to say this) I would put it equal to Disney California Adventure's version...wait, no, I was in Japan so I will give it 1 notch higher. Don't get me wrong though, if you make it out there definately ride it to see the story.

^I think it is certainly better than DCA's version as at least it has some aspect of interactivity on it. KT *LOVED* it, I thought it was just okay. Very similar to a Buzz Lightyear type dark ride.

Seriously if you had to push a button on the flashlight to 'turn it on' then it would be equal to a Buzz or Mania type ride. Plus the animatronics and sets on the ride are great.

all you do is point a flashlight at "hard hats" to make things happen while people in the other cars do the same. I actually put away the flashlight and just enjoyed the story while everyone else pointed their flashlights at the items. Its an interactive ride but at the same time it really is not, I can say its a cute ride but, (and I really hate to say this) I would put it equal to Disney California Adventure's version...

Honestly, really? You think it's only as good as a Superstar Limo re-do?

How many times did you ride it? And do you speak Japanese?

I ask those two questions because, on my first ride on it a couple of years ago, I found it to be kind of under-whelming. But I only got to ride it once, and I didn't quite understand what I was supposed to do. We went on it again this trip three times and I learned more things each time we went through.

There were certain hats that did different things, doors you could open, characters that would react, the city street had more things you could point at up in the windows, and it was a lot more "interactive" than I thought it was my first time through. I agree with Elissa, that I would rather the ride have had a button to press so you could get some kind of action/reaction.

Putting the Flashlight down tells me you probably didn't understand what you were supposed to do, and the fact that the ride instructions used to only be in Japanese didn't help, and you just gave up. That's not a fault of the ride.

This year, there was a bit more English instructions, not by much, but you got a better idea of what was going on. This actually helped.

To be honest, it's not as good as other rides on the resort, but it's like I said, had that ride gone into DCA, people would have been going nutso over it. The current DCA version is mediocre at best. Not terrible, not great. It's just "there." But the TDL version at least does some thing different, has some amazing sets, and fantastic animatronics. I can't say the same for the DCA version. I mean, just watching the video you can see that.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey