Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 997 - Report from Christmas Town
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: The Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW) Discussion Thread

Postby kingadam719 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Skycoastin Steve wrote:^What he said.

And let me clarify a bit. While on the tour, I basically just asked him how much he was authorized to tell us about the new coaster for next year. He said, "Well, Verbolten is the name, and everything you've seen leaked on sites like Screamscape and BGWfans is accurate." And I asked him, "So Verbolten IS the name?" and he said, without hesitation, "Yes, unless they change it at the last second similar to the way Cheetah Hunt or Griffon were." (I guess Griffon was originally intended to be named "Phoenix")

The guy wasn't some random park employee spouting off information, he's someone who does these tours on a regular basis and probably has a lot of access to information. From working in parks, I can tell you that it's not even remotely far fetched that he has plenty of information about Verbolten.

The last few tidbits he told us about it was that "it will be a multi-launch family coaster, designed that way to fill the void left by Big Bad Wolf," and that "what happens in the building is what will set it apart from everything else in the country." He clarified by saying that what has been speculated so far is true (referring to the drop section), and that there's going to be a lot more that happens in there, as well.

Believe me, don't believe me, that's exactly what he said. There are several members on here that will confirm it.

Is that Josh as in the one who does the coaster insider tours too? From Wisconson? If so, I just met him this past saturday on the coaster insider tour.

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:18 pm

^Yes, he's one of the main tour guides.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Swiftman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:44 pm

I'm not doubting what was said, but I have a very hard time believing that a tour guide has access to that sort of information. The poll including the name Verbolten was sent out months before the theming documents were leaked which included a ton of signage for the name Elementum. Looking at what happened to Griffon and Cheetah Hunt though, I imagine neither Verbolten or Elementum will end up being the ride's actual name.

In other news, you can check out some interesting pictures taken from inside the Busch Gardens Williamsburg "Boneyard" here. They include a Big Bad Wolf car and a few Le Mans cars.

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:14 pm

^Not sure that pictures taken while sneaking into restricted areas are really going to be lauded around here.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Homeboy23 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:36 pm

Swiftman wrote:I'm not doubting what was said, but I have a very hard time believing that a tour guide has access to that sort of information. The poll including the name Verbolten was sent out months before the theming documents were leaked which included a ton of signage for the name Elementum. Looking at what happened to Griffon and Cheetah Hunt though, I imagine neither Verbolten or Elementum will end up being the ride's actual name.

After working many years now with liars I have become pretty good at reading peoples faces whether they are lying or not. Our tour guide sure didn't look like he was making it up to us. He answered Steve's question without any hesitation.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:46 pm

Skycoastin Steve wrote:^What he said.

And let me clarify a bit. While on the tour, I basically just asked him how much he was authorized to tell us about the new coaster for next year. He said, "Well, Verbolten is the name, and everything you've seen leaked on sites like Screamscape and BGWfans is accurate." And I asked him, "So Verbolten IS the name?" and he said, without hesitation, "Yes, unless they change it at the last second similar to the way Cheetah Hunt or Griffon were." (I guess Griffon was originally intended to be named "Phoenix")

The guy wasn't some random park employee spouting off information, he's someone who does these tours on a regular basis and probably has a lot of access to information. From working in parks, I can tell you that it's not even remotely far fetched that he has plenty of information about Verbolten.

The last few tidbits he told us about it was that "it will be a multi-launch family coaster, designed that way to fill the void left by Big Bad Wolf," and that "what happens in the building is what will set it apart from everything else in the country." He clarified by saying that what has been speculated so far is true (referring to the drop section), and that there's going to be a lot more that happens in there, as well.

Believe me, don't believe me, that's exactly what he said. There are several members on here that will confirm it.

Seriously though, sounds awesome to me. I'm excited!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:49 pm

Homeboy23 wrote:
Swiftman wrote:I'm not doubting what was said, but I have a very hard time believing that a tour guide has access to that sort of information. The poll including the name Verbolten was sent out months before the theming documents were leaked which included a ton of signage for the name Elementum. Looking at what happened to Griffon and Cheetah Hunt though, I imagine neither Verbolten or Elementum will end up being the ride's actual name.

After working many years now with liars I have become pretty good at reading peoples faces whether they are lying or not. Our tour guide sure didn't look like he was making it up to us. He answered Steve's question without any hesitation.

"Verbolten" is what Josh said. We shall see.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Location: Intimidator 305 - Red Train - Row 1 - Left Seat - Going over the crest of the lift

Postby T-BONDIcoasterkid » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Ok guys here is yet another Verbolten drawing by me. My scanner does not pick up color that well, so it looks better in person. Anyways:
vbolten concept 2.jpg
Verbolten sketch.
Coaster Count: 33!
Favorite Coaster:INTIMIDATOR 305
Last Coaster Ridden: Verbolten
Next Park: Kings Dominion

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:18 pm

TPR Day at Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Yes, Robb and Elissa may be cavorting about Japan, showing people a great time, but before they headed east, they set up an excellent day for TPR members at Busch Gardens on Sunday, June 19--a very nice way to round out a park-and-coaster weekend in Virginia (Kings Dominion held its annual Hurlfest the day before). So, a nice, exclusive group of TPR members showed up bright and early in the park's England parking lot for a morning ERT session on Griffon and Alpengeist, followed by a great backstage tour of DarKastle, Alpengeist, and Europe in the Air tailored especially for us. Yes, we got to walk the entire track of DarKastle and be the first riders that day, check out Alpengeist's maintenance bay and fondle some coaster parts, and watch people being bounced around Europe from the safety of the ride's control room (and get bounced around ourselves).

Participants received a meal voucher and an option to purchase a second, along with Quick Queue, and were free to enjoy their day--until 9:00 that night, when we had an awesome hour on Apollo's Chariot all to ourselves! (Well, if you don't count the ride crew, that is.)

Everyone had a great time--especially on the tour. Thank you Busch Gardens for being such excellent hosts!

Here's a look at TPR Day.
01.jpg
Having trouble waking up? Well, BGW has a cure for that! (Sorry that the pictures are a bit dark--it was quite overcast that morning.)
02.jpg
Make that two cures.
03.jpg
Here's a peek at what goes on before the park opens to the public.
04.jpg
I see you TPR people! Even in those dark clouds you can't hide from me!
05.jpg
Exclusive Splash Time!
06.jpg
Exclusive Save-Me-Jeebus Time!
07.jpg
Now this is what I call an ERT session.
08.jpg
Yep--no waiting! Pick your seat and hang on!
09.jpg
ERT ended at 10:00, and the tour started at 10:10. First stop: Curse of DarKastle's maintenance bay.
10.jpg
Meet Josh and Brandon--two excellent guides!
11.jpg
Beware King Ludwig's Open Pit of Bloody Terror!
12.jpg
We learned all the secrets of DarKastle. Did you know that King Ludwig may have been insane, but he was a terrific dancer?
13.jpg
"Look into my eyes . . ."
14.jpg
Uh oh! Looks like two Golden Sleighs are going to face off in a Bavarian Death Match!
15.jpg
This little board monitors where each sleigh is located when the ride is in operation.
16.jpg
Here's a more "low-tech" device--each sleigh has its own board to keep track of what work had been done on it.
17.jpg
Aghh! More scary hypnotic eyes in Ludwig's library!
18.jpg
TPR members believe that reading is FUNdamental.
19.jpg
The books bear the names of people who have worked on DarKastle--or maybe they're just Ludwig's victims.
20.jpg
Even when you're walking through DarKastle, it's hard to tell which way is up.
21.jpg
Look out! That building is falling on you!
22.jpg
These evil-looking trees were actually sculpted at BGW--not made elsewhere and installed. They look freaky even without the show lighting.
23.jpg
This is a rear-projection screen, . . .
24.jpg
. . . which would make these, well, rear projectors, I guess.
25.jpg
The backside of air cannons.
26.jpg
The frontside of air cannons.
27.jpg
The brain of DarKastle.
28.jpg
It's interesting how this prop railing blends seamlessly with the projected railing that breaks and nearly "falls" on you during the ride.
29.jpg
More scary trees!
30.jpg
The DarKastle crew--they do Ludwig's bidding!
31.jpg
"Must . . . do . . . what . . . Ludwig . . . says . . ."
32.jpg
Here's the control room between the loading and unloading stations.
33.jpg
Next stop, Alpengeist. This is the head of the well that supplies the water for all the park's water rides. The coaster maintenance bay had to be built to accomodate it.
34.jpg
It's low bridge in the Alpengeist maintenance bay.
35.jpg
"What am I bid for this lovely coaster wheel?"
36.jpg
"Oh god! It's so heavy!"
37.jpg
After a rousing game of "Pass the Coaster Wheel," we headed off to Europe in the Air, the park's flight simulator.
39.jpg
Look at those people bouncing around, being relieved of all their change!
40.jpg
"Heh, heh! Bouncing people are funny!" Did you know that Europe in the Air was programmed using a joystick? They also programmed the sleighs in DarKastle that way. And people used to say that playing Nintendo was a waste of time.
41.jpg
"Hmm--if I had that joystick, I'd give those people a ride they'd never forget!"
42.jpg
It's dark, and the park's closed--but our time isn't over yet!
43.jpg
Everybody ready for some nighttime ERT on Apollo's Chariot?
44.jpg
My god! Where did everybody go? Apollo must've eaten them! (Actually, the park has a "ride twice, then wait one train" policy during ERT.)
45.jpg
Even the amazing ride crew got ERT!
46.jpg
This was definitely a great way to end a great day! Thank you, Busch Gardens!
Last edited by cfc on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:40 am.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby braztaz » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Aww, I wish I was able to go. But I couldn't since it was on Fathers Day! Sounds like a lot of fun and those trains sure are empty!
Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!