TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Suspended Coasters...will they ever build new ones?

Or have they in the past few years?

I've only been on one...the Big Bad Wolf at BGW, but I thought it was very cool. If they added the open air of an inverted, it would be even better.

Any idea why the building of them was so short-lived?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd love to see another one as well but it's not going to happen. Ever since B&M perfected the whole inverting while suspended under the track thing, the industry never looked back. Hmm, first inverted coaster, 1992. Last suspended coaster, 1993. Coincidence? I would like to see another retrofit of the trains like Vampire at Chessington. Cedar Point should seriously look at doing this for Iron Dragon. Anything to make that poor coaster a little more exciting.

I don't think Big Bad Wolf is the best, that honor goes to Top Gun or Ninja. BBW has a good beginning, but it's totally effed up with a long boring lift leading to ONE BRAKED DROP. The lift totally kills the adrenaline rush.

But, in general, I love suspendeds. One of my favorite genres. I don't think we'll be seeing anymore though.

-kip-

Last suspened being made in 1994

http://www.rcdb.com/id1435.htm

Ah, I stand corrected. I completely forgot about the Vekoma models. You could argue that new suspended coasters are still being built though. After the intensity of the inverted coasters came on the scene, the more gentle nature of the suspended coasters were toned down even more and evolved into the more family friendly setpoint coasters and batflyers that are still being built today.

I know before Arrow was bought up they were working on some concepts to bring back their suspended coasters. On their website they had pictures of new suspended cars, they looked like Vekoma SLC cars. They also had pictures and videos of new layouts, including ones with inversions.

• 7 years later...

I've mulled over this myself before, actually. I think that a fixed-train suspended coaster would be really cool. Because the cars have floors and tall sides to restrict arm movement, you could probably get really close to terrain if the cars didn't swing because there's no fear of them swinging back down and hitting it.

Suspended coasters are naturals for theming. However, the old Big Bad Wolf, with its German village, was the only suspended to take advantage of this (at least as far as I know). I'd love to see a new suspended coaster that swoops through, say, a desert canyon setting or perhaps around a snow-covered mountain.

After riding BBW, I'd love to check out the other suspended coasters this world has to offer before they go extinct forever. BBW was a pretty awesome ride (even the first half going through the village was a ton of fun, plus that small drop diving toward the shack really kicked me in the gut the first time I rode).

I seriously wish more of these coasters were built. Maybe if a park contracts Vekoma to build something insane, they might make a return.

Like the Arrow rides? No. Not unless the Chinese decide they want to copy them, and it looks like they moved straight to ripping off SLCs. Down the line I kinda expect the remaining Arrow rides to get retrofitted like Vampire was at Chessington.

Was just thinking about this last night watching a POV of Ninja (Hiy-ah!), wondering if another would ever be built. That ride needs some serious TLC though, it's gotten pretty rough. Agree these are a great stepping stones for younger riders working up to the bigger rides... but I think that's why they aren't front of mind when a park is considering a new coaster..too often it's either the SFMM mentality of "ZOMG WE NEED MORE INVERSIONS" or just an actual kiddie coaster.

While SFMM is an easy target to make fun of, their obsession with having the most coasters means it's actually a good park for those in-between guests being able to ride stuff like Revolution and Ninja before working their way up to Viper and X2.

The ride system definitely has potential...Eagle's Fortress was incredible. With the advancements in technology, it would be cool to see S&S bring this concept back to life. With floorless seats and a reasonable costs for a park, it could be a real popular family coaster.