Chadster's Vacation Adventures: Final Edition!

2/2/13 - Sea World Orlando!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Chadster's 2011 Trip Diary - Wonderland in Amarillo, TX-

Postby Teaymeq » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:50 am

And to add another park connection, this was formerly the Mayan Mindbender at Astroworld. Except it gets to play in broad daylight now!

Great TR! Thanks for sharing the fun.

(Edit: that info was also posted on another thread recently as well -- sorry if I restated that info)

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:54 pm

Thanks all, glad you liked the photos and video! Coming up this week, credit whoring Missouri, and WoF opening weekend! Video coming with the WoF report and some Planet Snoopy pictures (well mainly construction pictures) Stay tuned for mid-week!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:02 pm

I highly approve of the music in your video. ;)

Wonderland looks like it has a charming, old-fashioned vibe and a great collection of classic rides! They also have some unusual coasters. I'm fond of Miler mice and Hopkins loopers (yes, really), so I'm looking forward to visiting!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Concrete Enchilada » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:18 pm

Even with the excellent trip report, I believe the park is still under appreciated.

Despite having traveled cross country, the Texas Tornado is still one of my favorite steel coasters. It's right up there with the coasters from the big chains. After the first drop, the ride levels off into a flat straight-away with a slight left curve to it. And then the first loop.
Past the loop is quirky feature that resembles a double-up. Next the coaster takes a steep dive to the left, swooshing under the Flume shoot. As quickly as it drops, it rises again in the same fashion. And then dives right down to the ground to enter the second loop. After inching through the loop, it thunders underground through the tunnel. The ride ends after a smooth hill with low hanging branches. Well, actually, the ride ends with the manual brake lever. With the rides quirky elements, the ride is more a hybrid of a steel looper and a mine train. The coaster is well paced, a great ride from the beginning to the end. With the tunnel at the end, the ride has a what I call "dessert" at the ending. A feature that a vast majority don't have and come back to the station rather anti-climatic. And the coaster has interesting story itself being designed on a bar room napkin, and OD Hopkins keeping the ride budget under a million.

For the technically inclined, Wonderland was a showcase of OD Hopkins rides. Along with the Texas Tornado, the Log Ride, Shoot the Chute, and the Rattlesnake River were all products of OD Hopkins. As for water rides, the unusual Thunder Jet Racers was the prototype for now world famous Master Blaster slides. This prototype was built-in house by Schlitterbahn (NBGS) to test the uphill blaster technology.

And, they have a great and challenging retro mini-golf course.

Postby chadster » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:29 pm

^ Sweet intel on the racer! It certainly is an underrated and under visited park, it certainly surprised me and would recommend to all that they try to visit at least once!

Oh, and welcome to TPR!

Re: Chadster's 2011 Trip Diary - Credit Whoring!!

Postby chadster » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Well there comes a point in every man's life that he needs to step out on a limb and try new things, explore his identity, and become a whore perhaps. That's just what I did this past weekend, visiting two parks for the sole purpose of whoring out two quality coasters.

The first coaster would be the Python Pit @ Zonkers in Olate, Kansas (4/16/11). I have to say, I felt like a creep walking into a 5 year olds paradise, but after talking with employees, I felt less so as apparently many many TPR folks have also sacked the Python.

Zonker's is located inside the Great Mall of the Great Plains, and to be fully truthful, I'm surprised this mall is still open. Having read on the internet a few years back that this mall was home to several "outlet" stores, I stopped in. It had about a 50% occupancy rate at the time(being generous) and mostly one off stores. I passed up Zonkers not knowing what it was, or what was in it. On this trip, I'd say they have a 20% occupancy rate. So, if I were you, I'd get the credit now, so you can get a relocate credit later ;)

This credit was not worthy of bringing in my good camera, it was only worthy of a point and shoot.
Last edited by chadster on Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:24 pm.

Re: Chadster's 2011 Trip Diary - Credit Whoring!!!

Postby chadster » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:17 pm

So, the following day (4/17/11) I made my way to Joplin, Missouri, home of Rte 66 Carousel Park, and home to two coasters. If you've ever been to Branson or Orlando, then this style of park would not be strange to you. It offers bumper boats, go carts, mini golf, batting cages, and a few old school amusement rides. $22 will get you an all inclusive ride pass, or take a spin or tow for $2 per ride on the amusements.

This is truly a family owned and run park and almost 100% supported by the locals. It's a nice place for the teeny boppers to go for date night or kill time. For coasters whore's, it's a great place to get a cheap credit, or two.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:24 pm

It's always nice when such a small park has a few halfway decent rides. Tiger Terror reminds me of one of my first coasters. Has anyone ever noticed that it's almost unheard-of for an adult to be able to ride a Go Gator?

Postby chadster » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:25 pm

^ I'm slowly realizing that :(

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby PAL » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:29 am

Chad, I'm enjoying this sordid show. Please keep debasing yourself for our entertainment.

Wonderland looks worth a stop, even for a prude. I can't think of any reason that would take me to or through Amarillo, so thanks for the great video look at a set of classic flats. Himalayas are cool.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!