TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Great America's website said the removal of Invertigo will open up a new opportunity for Great America just reminding people here. Don't they use tall stake markers if it's a new coaster? I guess they don't use flag markers for a ride. A newly landscaped Great America new for 2012-take it all in-the fresh new flowers & the sparkling new grass! Take senic walks through the nice new landscape.

Edited by greatamerica1990sfan

^I may have seen her, but didn't know who she was. I did Flight Deck 3 sessions back to back around 11:00, and then a few single rides throughout the day, and ended around 6:30 with another triple ride.

I just got back from CGA and everything was running smoothly. Got to ride everything a few times except grizzly, got there right when it broke down. Boy was I bummed, I also think I saw Angry_Gumball get there at the same time as me. You were about to ride but thats when it broke down. I was in my Terminator Salvation sweatshirt I got at WCB last weekend.

I didn't see you...but I do recall Grizzly breaking down, was kind of lame. Was about to board the front seat, got seated and then got dismissed. I waited a few minutes at the exit to see if anything was going to happen but then just left. Not sure what happened, noticed the workers pushing on the air gates and the red train sitting in the brake run.

If you saw someone holding a souvenir cup and a red nubby ball, that would have been me. Was wearing my Haunt "Overlord" shirt. I was with my cousin who had a pink panther shirt.

^I may have seen her, but didn't know who she was. I did Flight Deck 3 sessions back to back around 11:00, and then a few single rides throughout the day, and ended around 6:30 with another triple ride.

I was working the loader side saying clear two. So you probably saw me considering I worked until closing.

I was working the loader side saying clear two. So you probably saw me considering I worked until closing.

Yup, I heard you, as well as other ride attendants having fun The Flight Deck crew was very enthusiastic today, which is awesome I must say.

The only other TPR members I recall seeing today was Sunfire, who was in the control booth for Demon.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

Considering you told me you won't even ride a WindSeeker simply because you don't like spinning rides it won't make any difference if they do or not!

Considering what I posted was based off what you told me then yea I don't think it will be much of ride. I thought the point of a WindSeeker was for it to be high. If it can only go to the height of drop tower then just ride that.

Yup, I heard you, as well as other ride attendants having fun The Flight Deck crew was very enthusiastic today, which is awesome I must say.

The only other TPR members I recall seeing today was Sunfire, who was in the control booth for Demon.

Awww thank you, that means a lot to me

Well opening day was pretty interesting as a supervisor. I got a few guest complaints about Invertigo being taken out, but nothing too major. And someone barfed at Demon, but I digress (I'm no longer grossed out by it like I used to when I was a new operator). I saw Angry_Gumball and his cousin (?) when I was working controls, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Also, Whitewater Falls is closed (there's an attraction closed sign up front), and Firefall's MIA with its gondola being worked on. Other than that, it was a cool opening day. I was definitely kept busy the whole day. I do hope attendance picks up though.

Well opening day was pretty interesting as a supervisor. I got a few guest complaints about Invertigo being taken out, but nothing too major. And someone barfed at Demon, but I digress (I'm no longer grossed out by it like I used to when I was a new operator). Also, Whitewater Falls is closed (there's an attraction closed sign up front), and Firefall with its missing gondola. Other than that, it was an okay opening day. I hope attendance picks up though.

Yea, I saw some yogurt or something all over one of the seats I was ready to sit in...glad I didn't! I heard a few comments about Invertigo when I walked by the site but also nothing major other than "Oh yea, they took out Invertigo, that was a great ride!"

The markers, for all we know, could just be for electrical or sewer lines, or maybe a new ride?

Hmm, does anybody know if a sewer line ran under Invertigo?

Maybe the circle is for the foundation of a giant super restroom, that would explain the sewer line..lol

Someone asked if a coaster could fit there? Well, there used to be one there, so there's your answer.

I would be ok with a Windseeker, kind of stupid as SFDK it getting one, but at least it would be a ride.... something!

If they really wanted to they could shoe horn a coaster in that area, or anywhere else for that matter.

Maybe the circle is where they are going to put a nice big decorative fountain.

I had a good time today, and that had to be the least crowded opening day I've ever seen there. I'll post some thoughts and pictures tomorrow, I'm exhausted right now (I lost track of how many laps I walked around the park today!)

Was wearing my Haunt "Overlord" shirt. I was with my cousin who had a pink panther shirt.

You know, after reading this comment and seeing your pictures, I'm 99% sure I rode next to you guys on Tiki Twirl today. I thought the guy with the Haunt shirt looked familiar. Did you ride on the blue section?

I am almost positive that I saw Angry_Gumball I was getting on the front of Grizzly with my brother and I saw you and your cousin getting in line at the back row.

Im sure if anyone noticed but the candy store that is next to Panda Express got a new sign I believe and had also been repainted. If you go inside of the candy store they put a new trim around the store and on the ceiling they added trim type thing also it looks very nice I will try to get some pictures the next time I go.

Well, it's been a day since the opening, and I already want to go back (why does my college have to start this week? I'll probably be too busy to go on weekends...).

Here's what I rode, along with some thoughts:

Flight Deck (x2): I don't know why I only rode this twice. It's still amazing, and the new restraints on the shark train are nice and cushy. I witnessed my first transfer track operation today, which added about a 15 minute wait to the nearly empty line as they ran a few test runs. Tony the ride op's enthusiasm was keeping the guests entertained.

Delirium (x2): Still fun and intense, but what's the deal with four closed seats? That's two more than last season...and will hurt capacity once the crowds hit.

Drop Tower (x6): Best ride of the day, and Cabin #4 was running! I rode on that cabin three times, which gives a nice view of the mechanics shop, where I saw the Firefall gondola sitting outside, along with a boat from Whitewater Falls. The line was nonexistent all day, they kept sending up empty cabins.

Tiki Twirl (x2): I actually like this name better than Survivor. It was also good to see those extremely faded out Survivor signs removed. The back story was interesting, but the rest of the themeing needs work. The "Welcome to Tiki Twirl" sign looked cheap, the blank T.V's looked awkward, and the ride felt empty without the music playing in the station. Nevertheless, it's a great ride.

Grizzly (x2): I'm impressed with the retracked first drop. The headache-inducing jolt at the bottom is now completely smoothed over. I'm not sure if the ride runs 23 seconds faster, but the 10-minute turnaround was noticeably faster (more like 7 minutes).

Demon (x2): I rode on both the red and orange trains, fairly smooth. However, I don't think anything will help to smooth the second loop and the transition to the corkscrew.

Vortex (x1): Two trains running, I haven't seen that since the first half of the 2009 season. Sat in the front, felt a little smoother, although the corkscrew wanted to rip my ears off.

The rest...

Endeavor (x1)

Centrifuge (x2)

Rue le Dodge (x2)

Orbit (x1)

Delta Flyer (x1)

Action Theater (x1) ("This patty is INCOMPLETE")

Overall, good day, although the park wasn't running in full force, as Firefall, Logger's Run, and Whitewater Falls were closed. Even the Orbit and the Demon had some down time for the first few hours of the day.

The crowds were nonexistent for most of the day, even the season pass processing center was a "walk-on." The crowds picked up a little bit, but nothing was more than a 5-10 minute wait. When it looks like there are more ride operators than guests walking around, you know you have attendance problems. I'm not sure if it was the possibility of rain, the removal of Invertigo, or a combination of both that kept the crowds away.

Pictures from the day:

cga1.jpg.9c18243866f04e2e72fe89e2561c6b61.jpg

I paid Snoopy a visit, seeing that no one else was.

cga6.jpg.0014862e096cfaa3a900085ea47462a7.jpg

Firefall: Now with 100% less seats! The waterfall was running, a little pointless though.

cga2.jpg.f514ad61e4f3d3f64152e9658747e4b1.jpg

Cabin #4 in action! It was always the quickest one to the top.

cga3.jpg.c8133ac5db15f4be6318bc60ebe04225.jpg

If you squint, in the left-hand side of the picture you can see the new yellowish railings for Whitewater Falls.

cga4.jpg.f934fcb1509beb33cefa308fd4cc422b.jpg

They built a curb around the perimeter of the area.

cga5.jpg.0c53894d85faf7fd8a0289cdb41ebeb4.jpg

Close-up of Fence: The Ride, along with some little kid who appears to be flipping me off.

Nice photos!

I must agree, Tiki Twirl is a better fit. I don't know why, but licensed ride names just seem awkward, especially if the whole theme isn't really there (meaning, not using the whole survivor challenge to determine the ride's outcome). I also loved the new restraints on Flight Deck, and the fact it's not all worn off and got everybody's sweat soaked into it yet (ok maybe not that extreme). The new seats and restraints on Drop Tower were also nice to sit in.

About the Invertigo site, the more I think about it, the more I have this sick feeling it's going to be "Inverti-Gardens." We've got a planter box going on out in the middle, and curb/retaining wall around the grass. Why they would they bother to do all of this before putting in a new ride is beyond me as it will all be shredded once again in just short time. Shouldn't landscaping be one of the last things we should see on a site where a ride should be constructed? If the torn up dirt and construction's such an eye sore, then why not just put 8-foot wood panels up in that area to block the view, perhaps put some promo art on it for the new attraction. As of right now, Invertigo's site is following the same direction as Triple Play's, complete with a planter spot in the middle of the site.

This weekend was awesome loved every minute of it. Saw Angry-GumBall, don't know if u know me yet . I "shook" the train with thoses annoying girls that were screaming, gosh where they loud.

Also to CoasterBeagle, didn't know one of my operators was on here lol. Don't come on here much just mainly to read and update.

Speaking of updating.....

FireFall's gondola is being worked on in the shop still waiting on that important part from overseas.

From what I've heard White Waters will be down for one month, a part broke and we are waiting on it to be shipped in.

Drop Tower Cabin one wasn't operating on Sunday due it having some problems during the private event on Saturday.

As for the "Dirt Pile", from what I know all the markers are for landscaping and what not, for the circle thing in the middle I couldn't get a clue for it from my boss. Highly secret water fountain?? lol

It's nice to hear the good comments for FlightDeck, we have some good operators who know how to excite the guests before riding. Still working on testing out the Newbies, maybe CoasterBeagle can give it a try this coming weekend.

As always your FlightDeck Sup.

Yup, I was on the train you shook! That was quite funny, though their screaming was quite loud during the ride. I rode it 3 times back to back, my final ride was on the vibrating train.

Messing with some photoshop...I can dream, can't I? Perhaps simplify my wishes. At this point, I'd be happy with this, and maybe a Windseeker together...

CGAZacSpin.jpg.7fdd2dd103289d850d4b3ac53db45e65.jpg

It really would fit the park quite nicely, definitely something that would make the park worth visiting to the general visitor, not just something that can already be found at SFDK (cough-cough windseeker)...

I'd be thrilled to see a clone of Insane come to Great America, right down to that wicked color scheme!