TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Holiday World has sent us a press release about their next TV coverage, this time on the Travel Channel's Burt the Conqueror.

The host of the wildly popular Travel Channel reality show, “Bert the Conqueror” will travel to Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari next month to “conquer” two of the world’s top-ranked rides.

“We hear that Bert hollers like a little girl on roller coasters,” says park president Dan Koch. “I hope that means he’ll drown out my screams.”

Comedian Bert Kreischer is an “everyman” who travels the country, conquering extreme rides, sports and unusual competitions. During his two-day visit to Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari on May 6 and 7, he’ll attempt to “conquer” The Voyage roller coaster and Wildebeest water coaster, each voted the world’s top rides of their kind.

“Plus, mom is planning an extra special challenge for Bert,” says Koch, referring to Pat Koch, the park’s 79-year-old matriarch. “I sure hope he’s ready…”

According to show producers, Holiday World was the "most demanded" venue for Bert to feature in his show's second season.

To select the families who will ride with Bert each day, the park is conducting “open auditions” by video and email through April 20. In under 60 seconds or 175 words, families are asked to explain why they should be chosen to ride along with Bert. Complete rules are explained on the park’s blog at http://HolidayWorld.com/HoliBlog.

“Bert the Conqueror” airs Sunday evenings on The Travel Channel, which is available in more than 94 million U.S. households. The Holiday World episode is expected to air in June.

Holiday World will open its 65th season on May 7 with the debut of Rudolph’s Round-Up, a new children’s ride; Splashin’ Safari will open May 13 with the premiere of Safari Sam’s SplashLand. For more information about the parks, visit http://www.HolidayWorld.com or call 1-877-Go-Family.

• 3 weeks later...

Holiday World has sent us a press release about this year's "Holiday World Walk to Cure Diabetes."

The sixth annual “Holiday World Walk to Cure Diabetes” will be a homecoming of sorts, as Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler returns to his hometown of Santa Claus to serve as the walk's grand marshal.

Cutler, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 21, will join in the walk’s opening ceremonies on Saturday, May 14, and will lead an anticipated 2,000 walkers through Holiday World Theme Park.

Cutler and the walkers will also honor the late Will Koch, who was Holiday World’s president until his diabetes-related death at age 48 last June, by presenting a special award to Koch’s family.

Over the past five years, the “Holiday World Walk to Cure Diabetes” has raised nearly $1.5 million for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) through the donation of tickets to walkers who’ve raised funds for the organization. This year’s goal is to raise an additional $376,000 for JDRF. Visit the JDRF.org website for more information and to sign up for the walk.

The newly engaged Cutler will be accompanied by fiancée Kristin Cavallari throughout the day, which will also include an evening event at Santa’s Lodge to raise money for the Jay Cutler Foundation.

So, is Holiday World going to have to bring in a replacement halfway through the event?

Good luck to Holiday World with the event, and hopefully they can continue to be successful with this event. It's great to see how involved Holiday World is in the community, and it just shows what a great park and organization it is.

I thought it was well known by now that Cutler suffered a torn MCL before halftime, and tried playing through it to start the second half.

Kudos to Jay. He recently did a similar event here in Naperville to promote an active lifestyle/combat childhood obesity.

I thought it was well known by now that Cutler suffered a torn MCL before halftime, and tried playing through it to start the second half.

Yes, his "medial collateral labia."

Scott "couldn't resist" B.

Well played.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the park today. It was cold and cloudy, and there were a few brave souls that went to the waterpark.

Operations were not exactly great. Raven and Legend were running one train, Liberty Launch opened late, and there were some slow ride ops, but overall it wasn't bad.

The Raven was running great. The roughness was next to none, and the drops delivered. I now consider this to be the best ride at the park simply because it has been kept in great shape after all these years and is the most enjoyable/re-ridable coaster.

The Legend was a little rough but still very enjoyable; strong laterals, as well as the best first drop of the three coasters.

As for the Voyage? Those timberliner trains can't come soon enough. The ride was so rough that it was rather difficult to enjoy all the airtime. I really appreciate Holiday World being so patient with getting the new trains, and I really hope that the ride can be restored to its former glory. I still remember my first rides back in 2006. Voyage was smoother, faster, and way more enjoyable back then. It is now a little slower, and a lot rougher. On the other hand, it was kinda nice to see brand spanking new PTC cars. They almost had a new-car smell to them.

Overall, the visit was nice. Holiday World continues to do a good job of keeping the park clean and pretty.

• 3 weeks later...

^^I agree, I think a megalite would be great for Holiday World. On the other hand, I hope they DON'T listen to enthusiasts on what to build. They need to appeal to the General Public NOT the enthusiasts who show up once a year and eat the park out of pizza and fudge! As much as it pains me to say it, the GP wants a steel coaster that goes upsidedown. Trust me, I've seen and heard it first hand several times at the park. Silly GP!

While the GP has a wider range of what appeals to them, it's not like they would dislike an Intamin hyper or megalite. In addition to what enthusiasts want and what the GP wants is what HW wants. I asked Leah during ERT what the goals were but she was not answering that one. So I said there were several routes they could go if they wanted a family coaster, however if they wanted to top the charts, there was pretty much one option. HW has shown in the past that they want top rated coasters, and if that is the case now, we can help them get there. If they want a looper, we can give them tips on that too. It's not like the GP is going to complain if they get an Intamin hyper over a B&M invert. They'll line up for either, but they will talk about the one that is advertised as number 1 in the world.

As much as it pains me to say it, the GP wants a steel coaster that goes upsidedown. Trust me, I've seen and heard it first hand several times at the park. Silly GP!

I've witnessed this first hand myself. The GP there desperately wants a steel coaster with inversions. I've heard them mention it while waiting in line for Voyage and Legend and I've even had a discussion about it with some of them.

Well you could make a mega lite with inversions.... there everyone's happy

Seriously though, something like I-Speed with a little more airtime hills in it and with a EGF lifthill/1st drop wouldn't be that bad idea would it?

I think a custom-built Intamin Mega-lite or S&S family coaster would be a good idea. I've always loved traditional sit-down coasters that don't feel like they are limited to just do certain elements. I'm thinking along the lines of Maverick, I-Speed, Powder Keg, Mind Bender (SFOG), Shockwave (SFOT), I.E. something mid-sized with an all-around fun layout (not to mention lapbars!).

I think a custom-built Intamin Mega-lite or S&S family coaster would be a good idea. I've always loved traditional sit-down coasters that don't feel like they are limited to just do certain elements. I'm thinking along the lines of Maverick, I-Speed, Powder Keg, Mind Bender (SFOG), Shockwave (SFOT), I.E. something mid-sized with an all-around fun layout (not to mention lapbars!).

Something like Powder Keg with a loop would be a good fit for Holiday World.

Holiday World Twitter just posted

Holiday World

Crazy meeting, working on Project 2012. So many decisions have been made...more to come. So glad the Name Game is over! #HW

Anyone have a clue as to what they are building?

Edited by The SETGO Guys

As much as it pains me to say it, the GP wants a steel coaster that goes upsidedown. Trust me, I've seen and heard it first hand several times at the park. Silly GP!

Throw Maverick's old heartline roll (it's gotta be in storage somewhere, right?) at the end of a megalite. Now everyone's happy!