TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Goodbye to Speed: The Ride at the Sahara (Vegas)?

Doesn't surprise me. Speed was a good ride and I'd like to hope it will get saved...but let's be honest, Chiller was a BETTER ride, and even had the train retro-fit...and there were no takers.

And when you have brand new coasters sitting in crates at parks that never became a reality also not getting bought up, I'd prepare to say goodbye to Speed: The Ride forever...

--Robb "Just thinking worst case, and unfortunately a realistic scenario here..." Alvey

Robb, I believe Chiller was bought! I remember hearing awhile back that a company had plans to pick it up on the cheap after Gadv announced it's removal, refurb it and sell it somewhere in the world, although, from my understanding, the project was cancelled and Chiller is rotting in a field a few miles from the park.

I realize this happen, but it was never followed through on. That's what I'm saying. There just doesn't seem to be the money out there for a used ride like this when even newer rides aren't getting picked up. But you never know. Stranger things have happened. I mean, who would have ever thought that both Deja Vu's would end up seeing a new life?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is too bad. I liked Speed, and compared to the other coasters in Vegas it was a really good ride. The ride was unique, with two launches and an unusual layout for a shuttle coaster, but it would be better if the ride only had lapbars. It wasn't really rough, but Premier's shoulder harnesses aren't very forgiving. I'm guessing that it's unlikely this will be relocated, but you never know. Maybe Cedar Fair can purchase it and improve CGA, then send it to Dorney a couple seasons later.

As for those timed launches, I only rode Speed at one time (July 2009), and was told their policy was one launch every ten minutes unless they had enough riders to fill the train. This meant it took me a half hour to ride twice. I would have rode once more but the rest of my party (none of which wanted a second ride) wanted to get going.

Once this ride leaves, Desperado is going to be the best coaster in Nevada, and there are many coasters that are better than it. Maybe that new park (assuming it gets built) will have something decent.

All I have to say is, bummer. Speed was the best coaster in LV. Although I only got one ride in 2009, I remember really enjoying it. I do remember the 15 min launch increments though. I stayed at the Stratosphere and would just watch the strip from our hit room. Anyway, just wish I would have ridden it twice.

If this really is true than I'm really happy I got my rides in last summer. But as others have said the 15min between launches was horrible. I had an all day pass and decided to just ride it 3 times to get my money's worth.

Rode once in the back, middle, and front.

The ops just stood and stared at me while I waited in the station and just stared at the clock. I think the shortest between launches was 10min

The ops just stood and stared at me while I waited in the station and just stared at the clock. I think the shortest between launches was 10min

This is exactly what they did to us on our last visit too. They were like "We know you're all standing there, but we don't give a f**k. You're waiting 15 minutes like it or not, bitches."

^^That seems to be the norm, I've never noticed any sort of attempt to keep the line moving regardless of how many people are kept waiting.

In any event, I'm really sad to see Las Vegas' best coaster get phased out. Speed is a really great shuttle coaster, and it'll be a shame to see it go.

This makes me mad! I read all the reviews about how awesome this coaster is and then last year when I got to go to Las Vegas I didn't end up having enough time to get to it! I thought to myself when leaving, I will get to it next time.... Guess not!

Emergency trip is in the cards, whenever i go to LV nobody ever wants to stop and ride the coasters, well i better get these credits before they are gone! I haven't been on Desperado or anything I know you guys will say it's not worth it but i'm the guy who added a Santa Cruz detour on the way back from S.F. just to ride the Giant Dipper

Thank you TPR! I was in Vegas this weekend for a college hoops tourney (go Aztecs!) when I saw this news. We cut our time at Circus Circus to grab a few Speed laps.

Ops are on the 15 min schedule, but at least the crew kept everyone informed and counted it down. We waited it out for 3 laps. It's running a bit rougher than our last visit in 2009. Still love the rush of that 2nd launch.

The area is already looking derelict. The entire upstairs section of the NASCAR Cafe is blocked off; most of the racing simulators are out of use. They are discounting; at 12:30 on a spring Sat an all day ride pass was $14, down from $23.

Other Vegas observations: Canyon Blaster at CC is running well. Circus Circus is a dump, but the $12 prime rib was excellent at the Garden Grill. The Stratosphere rides are a unique trip. Insanity is a must do. Desperado is getting rough as heck.

I'm headed up 13-15 April to get my Canyon Blaster Fix- and hopefully get to use my new 'toy' to get some last shots of Speed before it goes to the Soda Can manufacturer...

Shame too- It's one of the better non-Schwarzkopf shuttle coasters out there- and as painful as it could be, it will be missed.

R.D.

I was going to Vegas this summer on a family trip and looking forward to riding this... but I guess not. Canyon Blaster and New York New York will have to be good enough.

Have fun with the TOGO Death Machine. We'll be hoping you make it out alive!

^^ I rode Manhatten Express, or Roller Coaster, the first time I went to Vegas. I'm glad I rode it only because it is my only Togo credit so far. And, I knew what I was getting into. I braced myself and actually had an ok ride, not worth dishing out the cash for a re-ride though. Get the credit then head to Circus Circus and Stratosphere.

^^ I rode Manhatten Express, or Roller Coaster, the first time I went to Vegas. I'm glad I rode it only because it is my only Togo credit so far. And, I knew what I was getting into. I braced myself and actually had an ok ride, not worth dishing out the cash for a re-ride though. Get the credit then head to Circus Circus and Stratosphere.

I agree! I was expecting to feel like my bones were about to break but I didn't think it really was THAT bad!

When I went to Vegas in 2008, Speed wasn't reopened yet :/ Guess I'll never get to experience it.

As luck would have it, the New York New York coaster happened to go down for rehab the very day I was going to ride it. I know it's a TOGO death trap, but a coaster is a coaster right?

At least I got to do the Stratosphere rides, the Adventuredome, and the Blue Man group