TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker 2010 poll

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't really heard much about Silver Comet at Martin's Fantasy Island (#45) or Comet at The Great Escape (#33). Are they underrated? Has Comet aged well?

While I can't speak for Silver Comet, Comet is definitely underrated. It has strong ejector air, wild mouse like turns, and it was fairly smooth for a wooden coaster when I last three years ago. And I'm pretty sure that it didn't get really rough since then. You'll probably really like it.

^Good stuff. I always get some of the East/Northeast woodies confused because several of them have the same names: Comet, Cyclone, Thunderbolt, Wildcat, etc. Some of the lower ranked ones are supposed to be halfway decent, but apparently others have deteriorated over the years.

I haven't really heard much about Silver Comet at Martin's Fantasy Island (#45) or Comet at The Great Escape (#33). Are they underrated? Has Comet aged well?

I love the Silver Comet (I ranked it 18). I like Comet also (I ranked it at 36), but clearly like Silver Comet more.

Edited by larrygator

What is great about Silver Comet? I know judging a ride based on a POV is frowned upon (and I typically avoid doing it), but it looks like a great first drop with two airtime hills, then a bunch of the slow, swooping CCI turns after that and a decent looking airtime hill right before the brakes. Is there something in there that a POV fails to show about the ride's overall quality?

^ What the POV doesn't show is that it's just a very solid 'overall' ride. It's not rough, it keeps it's speed VERY well through the entire ride, has some great airtime, and one of the most gnarly lateral moments ever! IMO, it's a solid B+ coaster. And for an older CCI, it's kept up very well.

This list is awesome, I think I've been on a solid aray of woodies but when I see I've only ridden 5 of the top 20...wow! I must admit Voyage was amazing but it definitely had it's rougher moments, but El Toro totally deserves where it's at, it's still smooth and it's still out of control! Can't wait to see Mitch's Steel Pole!

Just out of curiosity, since I've seen some writings on the interwebs of crybabies trying to imply that TPR members purposely ranked Voyage low, how many of you ranked it is #1 - or a least in your top 5?

I have a feeling it's a LOT more than some people would think....

If they want to see how many people ranked Voyage in certain places, they should just scroll through the individual ballots. It's not like Mitch makes it a secret what people vote for. I'm one of the biggest fans of Voyage you'll find anywhere, and it didn't bother me at all that it dropped in the rankings. If it was giving rougher than normal rides this year, then it probably deserved to drop (just like any other woodie that starts getting rough, otherwise Georgia Cyclone and GhostRider would still be in the top 10).

^ I realize that. And you are far more level headed that many of the batshit crazy coaster enthusiasts that would make such a claim, but the accusation was specifically that TPR members were ranking it low on purpose. I personally think that's not the case, so I was curious for myself.

If you ranked Voyage #1 or in the top five, please post it here and let us know!

Edited by robbalvey

I ranked it in my top five, because I was impressed with the layout. I have only ridden about 17 wooden coasters though.

In terms of re-ride value and what it was competing against, I was personally not surprised at all to see the ratings drop this year.

If I had ridden Phoenix, El Toro and/or T-Express, I am sure those would have beat it out.

The ride almost reminds me of a steak. It tastes delicious for awhile, then you bite into a bone that cracks your back tooth.

Chris "full of corny analogies" D

Haven't ridden Voyage yet but I'm very intrigued by it. It has such a large online fanbase I can't wait to try it. I was disappointed to hear it was tearing itself apart after its first season.

El Toro is my #1 overall coaster and it pretty much buries all the other woodies I've ridden. I'd love to have a close #2 or a tie with it. Hopefully I'll get to ride Voyage with Timberliners soon.

^ I realize that. And you are far more level headed that many of the batshit crazy coaster enthusiasts that would make such a claim, but the accusation was specifically that TPR members were ranking it low on purpose. I personally think that's not the case, so I was curious for myself.

I saw at least one other enthusiast site's posts about this year's poll and I just rolled my eyes. Others in the thread seemed to be devaluing Mitch's poll entirely and that you could see TPR's influence in the poll because of all the international and Intamin woodies in the top 10. My take is that just because a coaster is in a different country that you may never ride doesn't mean it's any less deserving of a high ranking. While I've only ridden El Toro, if it's any indication of the other Intamin prefabs out there then they should be ranked highly. That doesn't have anything to do with what TPR says but just validates that Intamin designs incredible coasters.

While The Voyage didn’t crack my 2010 Top Five, I certainly don’t think I rated it low. It made #14 out of the 119 woodies I ranked this year. (Down three spaces from last year, due to three high-charting new additions.) 14 out of 119 is still quite respectable.

I rode The Voyage 26 times in 2007 and was blown away - it was one of my fave woodies at that point. I rode it twice in 2008 and wasn’t quite as impressed - still thought it was a GREAT ride, but it felt slightly more rough-and-tumble and wasn’t as re-rideable as it had been the previous summer. If I’d ridden in the last year or two, it might have slipped further down on my list, but I haven’t, and it hasn’t.

I still love it, still think it’s an awesome coaster - but there are a few other woodies that I like a little bit more.

I put Voyage as #2. I don't see why anyone would think that we're purposefully manipulating a pool, or for that matter, if we were, why they'd be so angry about it. It's not like your actual opinion towards the ride will change, whether you ranked Voyage as #1 or #500, how Voyage ranked in the poll won't, or at least shouldn't effect how you think of it. It's just a for fun poll, it's not scientific data.

Kevin"Oh, and I'd pity anyone who'd manipulate a poll like this, not get angry."Bujold

I had it at #6. 2010 was my first year to ride it.

I gave it that rating based only on my front train rides.

Found the first 2 hills teeth gritting, but after that I really enjoyed the wild ride.

I did not enjoy my usual preferred sections on woodies, in the back or middle, anywhere near as much & discontinued riding in those spots due to the excessive roughness.

El Toro & Boulder Dash were also new to me in 2010 & were heads above any wood coaster i had ever ridden before, including The Voyage.