Photo TR: Chuck Looks Back at TPR's Europe Trip 2008

UPDATE: Final Thoughts (see first page for link)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:24 pm

Larry, Rich, Chuck, Terry, thanks for answering the waffle question. Silly as it sounds, I had to ask. Much appreciated. =)

EDIT: And Moose too.

Thanks for posting another great round Chuck.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:36 am

^Ahem. I gave you advice to go for the waffle and not other park "food."

I loved Bobbejaanland, even if it had a vendetta to get me soaked. You managed to capture the spirit of this park fairly well.

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:14 pm

^ :oops: Whoops! Didn't mean to leave you out. Thank you for reminding me. :)

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:52 pm

Chapter 5: Playgrounds and Coasters and Beer, Oh My! Toverland

NOTE FROM CHUCK’S INTERNAL EDITOR: As you may recall from our last episode, Chuck rambled on and on about how eccentric and awesome Bobbejaanland was. Yes, he just wouldn’t shut up about it. No matter how much people begged him. So, he’s promised not to ramble as much about Toverland.

Even though Toverland threw one of the single coolest parties ever, Chuck’s not going to ramble on about it.

Even though it’s another eccentric park, with indoor and outdoor sections crammed full of Greek myth and space aliens and elves and trolls and magic mushrooms and croquettes and beer and implements of death and destruction, he’s not going to ramble on about it.

Even though TPR had two-and-a-half hours of awesome ERT and food and beer, he’s not going to ramble on about it.

Why, he’s not even going to talk about the coasters and how he ranks them, which would’ve looked something like this (were Chuck to do it):

TROY!—He would’ve told how this was his second-favorite woodie of the trip thanks to it’s great mix of awesome laterals, ejector air, insane speed, and Trojan Horse themeing.

Booster Bike—He would’ve told how he liked the ride, but didn’t find it any better than Flamingoland’s version. Then he would’ve asked what was up with the alien-plant themeing.

Boomerang—He would’ve thanked God that this was not an actual Vekoma Boomerang, but an extra-large, indoor Rollerskater with a train theme. He liked it fine.

But he’s not going to say any of that. He’s going to show some rare restraint and just right into the pictures, such as they are.

That is all. Thank you for understanding.

Oh, he is allowed to say this: Thank you Robb, Elissa, and Toverland for the single best night of the entire TPR Europe Tour!
TL 01.jpg
Just cross the Three Stooges with Wonderland and Star Wars, then mix in a little Greek myth, and you have Toverland.
Viewed 2713 times
TL 02.jpg
They gave us lanyards for the ERT session instead of the usual wristbands. Hmm--in retrospect, this may have been a mistake. Or maybe they wanted TPR on a leash.
Viewed 2713 times
TL 03.jpg
"Oh my God! Please tell me this isn't an actual 'Boomerang'!"
Viewed 2713 times
TL 04.jpg
Relax, Jeff--it's just a big Rollerskater.
Viewed 2713 times
TL 05.jpg
And everyone breathed a sigh of relief.
Viewed 2713 times
TL 06.jpg
"Memo to Toverland Marketing Dept.: Following reports of three accidental hangings, numerous incidents of whipping or flogging, and this apparent accidental nose piercing, we think it is time to rethink the 'lanyard' concept."
Viewed 2713 times
TL 07.jpg
Toverland really crams a lot of stuff into this building.
Viewed 2713 times
TL 08.jpg
Is this the ride that launched a thousand ships?
Viewed 2713 times
TL 09.jpg
"Hi there. I'm the Trojan Horse! I'm a great gift! Well, unless you're a Trojan, and I'm full of Greeks ready to sack and burn your city."
Viewed 2713 times
TL 10.jpg
You know, if Agamemmon and Priam had had a great ride like this, they would've been having too much fun to fight.
Viewed 2713 times
TL 11.jpg
OK, let's hear it: TROY!
Viewed 2713 times
TL 12.jpg
Would Paris have passed up a steamy, passionate night of Helen ERT for Troy ERT?
Viewed 2713 times
TL 13.jpg
The answer is buried in the sands of time.
Viewed 2713 times
TL 14.jpg
Let's not forget the Booster Bike, now--if we can get past the man-eating space plant.
Viewed 2713 times
TL 15.jpg
Yes, Booster Bikes need love, too. More to come.
Viewed 2713 times

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:11 pm

NOTE FROM CHUCK'S INTERNAL EDITOR: More pictures from Toverland. That is all.
TL 16.jpg
"Yoda, I am. Spit on you, I will. Reverse on my flume, you do."
Viewed 2705 times
TL 17.jpg
I haven't seen a space-alien-themed flume since Space World.
Viewed 2705 times
TL 18.jpg
At this point, the bar wasn't even open.
Viewed 2705 times
TL 19.jpg
Nope. Not one beer had been drunk.
Viewed 2705 times
TL 20.jpg
You actually get airtime on this water slide. Here we see Melanie sticking her landing.
Viewed 2705 times
TL 21.jpg
Rich, however, crashed his raft into the wall and burst into flames--a true RCT moment.
Viewed 2705 times
TL 22.jpg
Chair swings. Purty.
Viewed 2705 times
TL 23.jpg
Here's a weird little attraction. You're given a wand, which you point at targets to trigger little effects, like pictures spinning around and such. It reminded me of the "Alice in Wonderland" walkthrough at Parque Espana.
Viewed 2705 times
TL 24.jpg
Through the Magic Shroom tunnel . . .
Viewed 2705 times
TL 25.jpg
. . . to the appointed place of food, . . .
Viewed 2705 times
TL 26.jpg
. . . beer, . . .
Viewed 2705 times
TL 27.jpg
. . . fire, . . .
Viewed 2705 times
TL 28.jpg
. . . and ERT!
Viewed 2705 times
TL 29.jpg
What? We gotta ride Troy some more? Well if we gotta, . . .
Viewed 2705 times
TL 29a.jpg
. . . we gotta!
Viewed 2705 times
TL 30.jpg
I had to lie on my back to get this picture of Melanie.
Viewed 2705 times
TL 31.jpg
But then this happened. Well, it isn't ERT until someone gets crushed by a wooden horse on wheels, right?
Viewed 2705 times

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:23 pm

NOTE FROM CHUCK'S INTERNAL EDITOR: This is the last set of Toverland photos. Then you can get on with your lives.
TL 32.jpg
Hmm--looks like a few folks have drunk enough courage.
Viewed 2698 times
TL 33.jpg
I think I see Philly Girl somewhere in all that water.
Viewed 2698 times
TL 34.jpg
Don't forget--we got Booster Bike, too.
Viewed 2698 times
TL 35.jpg
Did I mention there was beer? Oh, I did?
Viewed 2698 times
TL 36.jpg
Yeah, I had a few by the time I rode the Bobkarts (which were lots of fun, I might add).
Viewed 2698 times
TL 37.jpg
And I'm thinking these members of Team Larry have had a few, too.
Viewed 2698 times
TL 38.jpg
Yes, there were quite a few hijinks.
Viewed 2698 times
TL 39.jpg
Not to mention opportunities for bodily harm.
Viewed 2698 times
TL 40.jpg
"Oh, God, just make it stop!"
Viewed 2698 times
TL 41.jpg
TROY! (Well, we hadn't seen it for a few minutes.)
Viewed 2698 times
TL 42.jpg
Uh oh! Looks like the conflict that started at Bobbejaanland continued at Toverland, wrestling fans! Melanie deftly blocked Kristie's spinning round kick. Can the dreaded over-the-shoulder legbreaker be far behind?
Viewed 2698 times
TL 43.jpg
"Lookit me, Mom! I'm a satellite dish!"
Viewed 2698 times
TL 44.jpg
Yes, the mayhem continued all the way back to the bus.
Viewed 2698 times
TL 45.jpg
And, for one last time . . .

TROY!

Thanks for an awesome night, Toverland!
Viewed 2698 times

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby coaster05 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:26 pm

Man that place was fun. Great photos Chuck, that night absolutely ruled. It was the most fun crammed into 4 hours since Zaragosa. :br

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby funkybadger » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:01 pm

Wow, those are some fun memories to relive! Kristie and I about killed each other (and drenched each other) every chance we got! And yes, I do remember the evening - it was probably my favorite day of the trip. Though I'm pretty sure you could take our group just about anywhere and we'd find a way to have fun! Nice job, Chuck! You're motivating me to finally work on some of my photos.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:29 pm

Chuck - looks like you got a picture of Kristie right after she leg whipped TPDave (you can see him writhing in pain) and right before she fell off the spinning thing and conked her head on the ground.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/fi ... 39_590.jpg

Melanie - work on the Bowcraft and Quassy PTRs, also.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:15 pm

Rich, however, crashed his raft into the wall and burst into flames--a true RCT moment.

Got a good chuckle out of that line, but glad Rich is ok. :)

Funny stuff at Toverland and kinda wierd to see Christie with beer in hand. Hey, glad you all had a good time and it's been fun to watch Team Larry's adventures through cfc's perspective.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive