TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Had to put my fur-baby down today, and I'm just wrecked

bert425

and wracked by guilt.

I know it was the right decision, but the suddenness of it caught me off guard. She was fine on Sunday night, and playing with her squeekie toys.

and was fine Monday night too, she enjoyed her walkie in the colder weather, and was bouncing along like a bunny rabbit (and she was a big bunny rabbit).

but Tuesday morning, woke up and wouldn't eat, and at 10am she started projectile vomiting, and couldn't even keep water down (she'd drink a ton -- made sense, since her not eating was making her sugars spike, since I couldn't give her insulin shots without food).

that continued all night, with me cleaning up vomit every couple of hours when her yakking woke me/us up (but it was all clear fluid, as she hadn't been eating). Then this morning, she was having trouble standing up, with her whole back end/legs shaking, and she was getting very listless.

I was worried about her, and knew taking her to the vet would end up being a 1 way trip . . . . she's severely diabetic (and got 42 units of insulin per day - via morning/evening shot), and also completely blind (from the diabetes), and she also needed several eye drops every day to keep the pressures in her dead eyes down. So she had lots of medical problems anyways we'd been taking care of for almost 3 years. she was also over 12, so getting up there in age, but as long as she has quality of life, I wasn't willing to let her go, despite how expensive the Insulin, and the other meds were (and they were very expensive, about $180 every 3 weeks just for the Insulin).

we also knew she had several tumors, but never had them biopsied, since we were not going to treat if they came back malignant, and the vet was on the same page as us. my baby was very expensive.

But she was looking so bad, and I was so worried, I went ahead and got her in to see the vet this afternoon.

She was acting so odd, even the techs commented on how unusual the behavior was (not excited to be there, not reacting to people coming into the room, not wanting to go to the scale for weigh in, NO reaction from the needle for the glucose test blood draw).

She did get a bit excited (a small wag) from the Vet coming in, and she actually ate an animal cracker treat -- 1st interest in food in 36 hours. . . but 20 minutes later threw it up all over the room.

the Vet said, we had 2 options:

1) put her in hospital to treat the dehydration (from the vomiting) and ketosis (?) from her Diabetes (her sugars were over 700 this afternoon). that would be up to 3 days, and then they could start running tests to try and figure out why she was not eating, and throwing up, meaning bloodwork, xrays, sonogram, and possibly surgery if they found a blockage in her tummy. But that would cost well over 5K, and there were no guarantees that even if she recovered she would stay healthy (at the end of the day, she's still severely diabetic).

or

2) let her go, which is the kinder thing to do, as I had always told the vet my feelings about as long as she had quality of life. . . .and clearly something was going on that was very negatively affecting that. So considering her age, she said if it were here dog? she'd go for the kind option, as she knew how much we loved Roxxi, and kept telling me how she was very lucky to have us as parents, since most wouldn't have taken care of her for so long after the Diabetes.

I called Nick at work, and he left early and met me at the Vet.

so thru the tears, tho I tried not to cry, we made the hard call to let her go. SO many people that work at the vet came in to say goodbye to her (she did medical boarding when we went on trips, so many there knew her) and most of them cried -- which got me going too and tho I didn't want to, I felt that I NEEDED to stay until the end, so pet her head thru the administering of all the drugs and until she was gone.

I didn't ask to get ashes back, or do a "paw print" memory. . i just could not handle having that around. .having her collar is hard enough, and tonight is going to be horrific. I can't stop crying, and it's so strange not to have her in the house.

R.I.P. Roxxi.

you were a GUD dog.

IMG_2672.JPG.80386fa7e7edfd1ca7150a9c23ec9f5f.JPG

Not feeling well at the vet this afternoon

IMG_2674.JPG.1f3ebac4d310f541322ddaa211de51a5.JPG

1557771408_Vet2.jpg.241cd26e607988dc25b4f2f468040bf1.jpg

saying goodbye and trying (and not succeeding) not to cry.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Bert, so sorry to be hearing this.

We're keeping Roxxi and you guys in our hearts and thoughts.

thank you Bill.

I'm still in tears (can't stop crying) and feel like crap.

it's only been 2 1/2 hours, and I can't get the guilt to stop.. I feel like I betrayed her, even tho I know we loved her dearly, and took good care of her. and she loved us too.

This is seriously heartbreaking to hear/read. I'm so sorry for your loss. Animals really are part of the family. I know nothing any of us can say can fix the pain you're going through. . . But you're in your thoughts.

That being said, please don't beat yourself up. You didn't betray her. You made a very hard decision, and did what was best, in the long run, for her. (I know you don't want to hear that, but its true) but you know deep down inside you made the right decision.

If there is anything we can do to help, don't hesitate to let us know!

Sorry to hear this. Deep (and not so deep) down, everyone knows you made the right decision.

thank you, Elissa. (and thank you also for the kind words, 'Fame)

it also help that I know wherever she is now, Roxxi can see again, and chase Squirrels with joy.

a friend sent me this, and I'm finding a lot of comfort in it:

"I'm sorry for your loss bert, but I'm not sad. It's obvious that Roxxi was loved and knew she was loved. That is Joy. And it is good."

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my pup last July, the feelings of sadness and guilt were so strong. I know it's hard, but you don't need to feel guilty. You did the exact thing that a loving dog-parent should do. Ending Roxxi's suffering was an act of love, pure and simple. You're in my thoughts.

-Doug

thank you for the thoughts Doug.

today has been rough, and I keep getting upset when I walk by the empty water dish (Nick wanted to put it away, and I just cant yet. . it's only been 1 day).

at least it's not constant crying since mid afternoon. . only occasional

Bert - I am soooo sorry for your loss!

I lost my 17 year old cat Alexis in May and I understand how horribly difficult losing a pet is. At the time, it hurts so bad that you swear that you will never get another one - at least until you come to realize how much pets help you through life's journey by always being faithful, they never talk back and they always brighten your day no matter how bad it is.

Michael and I will keep you in our thoughts, my friend...

I'm so heartbroken.

I know a lot of that is because it's so fresh. .but she's the first thing I look for when I get up, and we just got back from dinner out (to try and cheer me/us up), and the first thing I did walking thru the door was to break down in tears, since she's not here to greet us all wagging tail and "woo-ing" when we came in.

this is so damn brutal

Sorry to hear about the loss, Bert. I had the 1st anniversary of the passing of our second fur-baby just recently, and it still feels like yesterday (to me), that he went on to Rainbow Bridge to wait to eventually meet with the rest of us.

My thoughts are with you during this time, don't be at all taken up by feeling sad. Take as long as you need, I have a third fur-baby now, it eases the pain but I always remember the other two. They're gone, but never forgotten.

thank you.

it's been a week today.

I'm not crying as much, but still have moments of deep depression and sadness.

but thank you, I know it was the right call, and I know she loved us as much as we loved her.

Oh man, sorry to hear this.

Been there. I had a golden retriever that we had to put down after the cancer got the best of her. It's never fun, but in certain circumstances, it can be for the best. Sounds like you did the right thing. That will be little comfort now. You'll grieve for a while, and that's good. Eventually you'll just remember the good times. It sucks. It will suck for a while. But you do move on. It does get better from here.

It's been six years, since we lost our previous cat, Camille. And the memories remain intact. The loss is still felt. But we aren't as hard on ourselves like we were before, after just losing her. We now know it was for the best. For Camille, especially. And the memories are still great ones of her.

In the mean time, Bert, keep on keepin' on, with Roxxi in your hearts and memories.

She-And-me1.jpg.79e1aabc8f504e44f6c831d8d2a55eb3.jpg

What I title "She and me". Camille was a wonderful cat.