The American Hockey League discussion thread

All things AHL
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: The American Hockey League discussion thread

Postby Jew » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:04 pm

I was very happy when the AHL moved teams to the west coast.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby bluestreak » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:47 pm

^ Yea the AHL finally makes geographical sense. :lmao:
From what I understand, San Diego is drawing some pretty large crowds, so that's good that at least one of the new West coast teams is bringing in a lot of money for the league.
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:58 pm

San Diego and Ontario are doing great. San Diego's arena is woefully outdated though. San Jose needs to find a better city than playing in the same arena as the large club.

Postby bluestreak » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:29 am

^ Didn't know Ontario was doing well. Again, good for the AHL.
Agreed with San Jose. During the regular season the can hardly fill the Tank for an NHL game, what makes them think that they'll be able to get any decent crowds for the AHL?

I teach at the school of donkey!

Location: Outside Six Flags Great America Waiting For Opening Day

Postby 9Armgeddon4 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:31 am

The 2016/17 schedules should be released soon. The Wolves schedule was in my local newspaper today. Does anyone else think its odd that the AHL schedules back to back to back games.

Postby bluestreak » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:08 pm

9Armgeddon4 wrote:The 2016/17 schedules should be released soon. The Wolves schedule was in my local newspaper today. Does anyone else think its odd that the AHL schedules back to back to back games.

I believe they have all been released. I know the Monsters and Barracuda have both released their schedules.
I think it's odd and I absolutely hate it. Most of the time it's always only one team per matchup that is playing their 3rd game in three nights. So therefore the other team almost always has the advantage when one team is playing their 3rd game in 3 nights. It's ok to have 3 games in 3 nights in baseball because it is no where near as punishing of a sport as hockey.

Postby 9Armgeddon4 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:02 pm

Spreaking of the Monsters they are now known as the Cleveland Monsters. Wondering why they dropped the name Lake Erie. I have to say I don't like the new name of the San Jose team. I think they should of stayed the Sharks. I mean there are other AHL teams that have the same name as their NHL team. I'll list them: Wikes Bare Penguins(Pittsburgh),P rovidence Bruins(Boston, Texas Stars(Dallas) and Iowa Wild(Minnesota) The city in () is NHL team. Two of these teams play in the same state as their NHL team in fact. So I really don't see why they had to change their name from the Sharks to the Barracuda. Ok I don't hate the name I just think they could of thought of a better one.

Postby bluestreak » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:18 pm

9Armgeddon4 wrote:Spreaking of the Monsters they are now known as the Cleveland Monsters. Wondering why they dropped the name Lake Erie. I have to say I don't like the new name of the San Jose team. I think they should of stayed the Sharks. I mean there are other AHL teams that have the same name as their NHL team. I'll list them: Wikes Bare Penguins(Pittsburgh),P rovidence Bruins(Boston, Texas Stars(Dallas) and Iowa Wild(Minnesota) The city in () is NHL team. Two of these teams play in the same state as their NHL team in fact. So I really don't see why they had to change their name from the Sharks to the Barracuda. Ok I don't hate the name I just think they could of thought of a better one.

I hate the new Cleveland Monsters name. I wish they would've consulted the fans and season ticket holders (like myself) about the name change. Almost everybody I've talked to likes "Lake Erie" better... Speaking of the monsters though, Jared Bednar (monsters head coach) has been hired by the Colorado Avalanche. Bednar is a hell of a coach and a great guy. Wish him all the best. Anybody know of any coaching replacements?
As for the San Jose team, I think the only reason they went with a different name is because they play in the same arena as the NHL team. If they played at the Cowpalace or something, they would probably stick with the sharks name.

Postby 9Armgeddon4 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:10 am

Alright the 2017 Calder Cup Playoffs are almost here. There is one thing I don't get though about the AHL playoffs and that is why some top seeds play on the road the first two games while some play at home. For example (1)Wilkes Barre Scranton, (1)Syracuse, (2)Toronto and (1)Chicago all play on the road in games 1-2 but home the last 3. All other top 2 seeds play at home first. If that's not weird enough the San Diego vs Ontario series will be alternating home and away each game. First round is only best of five.

@ bluestreak: Its too bad the Cleveland Monsters missed the playoffs. I was really hoping they would make them so I could get to see them play. Looks they missed the playoffs to Charlotte based on ROW (regulation and OT wins). Both teams finished with the same amount of wins(39), losses(29), points(86) and PCT(.566). So it came down to ROW and since Charlotte had the better ROW(41 to 36) they got the 4 spot in the central.

Postby bluestreak » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:50 am

When the monsters were in the playoffs last year I believe I remember them saying that it was up to the higher seeded team as far as format. I think it should universally be a 2-2-1 format but whatever.

Yeah I'm really bummed about the monsters. I was counting on their playoff run to take me into coaster season!

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random