Last concert you attended?

Yes, nerdom has reached a whole new level...
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: Last concert you attended?

Postby Ed Farmer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:10 am

Philrad71 wrote:^^ Lucky you!

What do you think of Orc? I wasn't too sure at first, but it's growing on me quickly. My friends on the west coast are going to see Oh Sees tonight.

Same. It's not their best, but after a few spins it begins to grow on you. I'm really looking forward to their next one (due in October) - the single they've released sounds like something from their OCS days.
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:35 pm

bert425 wrote:^ he did that on the Texas shows too.

LOL, did NOT go over well at the show in Houston, from what I was told :p

I wondered how the more conservative states would view RW's concerts. Given that every one of the president's supporters gets their panties in a wad every time someone says something negative about him, I'm surprised that people haven't started with the protests in front of the arenas and burning his concert t-shirts.

Ed - So it looks like the Oh Sees are doing like what they did with An Odd Entrances and A Weird Exits by releasing two albums only a month or so apart? I loved A Weird Exits, but An Odd Entrances was one that I found a bit "meh".

Postby alilstronger » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Straight No Chaser... Having only heard one song from them before going I had no idea how good they are. They are a really good group.

They had an opener called Postmodern Jukebox and they are AWESOME! They take well known pop songs and jazz them up. Hearing a girl sing a very slow jazzy burlesque version of No Diggity was awesome!
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby I Like Theme Parks. » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:34 pm

I saw Dinosaur Jr. yesterday, and they were even better than when I saw them in November. Easy Action was the opening act again, and of course they kicked A$$. All the old people and hipsters looked traumatized by them. Dinosaur Jr.'s set list was perfect. They played at least one popular song from almost every album, and it was a really long set. The Lung was a highlight for me, and it had an extended solo. They playing was incredible like always. The encore was Mountain Man and a cover of TV Eye by the Stooges, so the encore had a more of a punk/hardcore vibe. For TV Eye they brought John Brannon back on for vocals and it was insane! The crowd was very energetic (and drunk) during the older songs and there was a great mosh pit (except for the guy who started a fist fight). It was an amazing show, and definitely up there with Melvins and King Gizzard. Still an awesome band!
Top 3 Parks: Knoebels, Cedar Point, Kennywood
Top 3 Steel Coasters: Steel Vengeance, Phantom's Revenge, Maverick
Top 3 Wood Coasters: El Toro, Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 3 Flat Rides: Knoebels Flyers, Black Widow, Zipper
Top 3 Water Rides: Coal Cracker, Escape From Pompeii, Splash Mountain
167 coasters

Postby bert425 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Pics from last night's amazing Pankow show.

but holy crap embarrassed by Austin's Industral/darkwave scene.

Only $12 for a chance to see the Rarely-in-america German/Italian Pioneers. . . . and so many online said they were coming out (some even claiming to drive up from Houston).

and, including Wendy and I, I think there were maybe 12 folks there (not counting the opening band and their group (which was Lustron, who were good, tho way too loud for me, but with earplugs drowning out the highpitched feedback, I liked them a lot and will pick up the eventual CD when they release one).

anyways, Kudos to the club, Elysium for getting them to come in, and huge Kudos to the band who put on an energetic and GREAT set (mix of classic songs with more recent, and even a new song, that had heavy early Nitzer Ebb sound), and commented that he was so happy to see those of us there dancing along to every song.

It really was like a private concert, that they gave their all, regardless of the tiny "Crowd"

they are both super cool, and hung out at the bar and talked to us for a while after the set.

but shame on Austin!

and the set closer dedicated to the 'four ladies" that were in the audience :p

and to get a good taste of them, if you aren't familiar, here's their (arguably) biggest Industrial/dance hit: "Art and Madness"

IMG_2490.JPG
IMG_2492.JPG
IMG_2496.JPG
IMG_2502.JPG
IMG_2503.JPG
IMG_2504.JPG
hanging out with them at the bar after the show.

Wendy and I chatted with them for almost 40 minutes, they were so cool.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:38 pm

Had a great Friday the 13th, seeing some classic industrial/dance bands that not only ended up playing just a few blocks from each other at different venues, but worked together to stagger the sets, so that many could see all bands! both shows Sold out.

Also, since the bands know each other, and the club owners, multiple members were milling around both shows, and we got to talk to them and get pics.

over at the Mohawk with show starting at 9, OhGr (band fronted by Nivek Ogre from Skinny Puppy), and KMFDM touring on the latest album "Hell Yeah"

then up the street at Elysium, starting at Midnight, My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult, 35th anniversary tour, playing the first 2 Wax Trax! albums live + the b-sides from all the 12" singles from those two albums.

a fantastic night out with my friend Wendy with some really, really good music (for the most part).

quick takes:

OhGr: 9 out of 10:

GREAT set list (even if no Puppy getting played, but hey they did play "dog" does that count? :p). They not only sounded amazing, but looked like they were having a hell of a great time - and they were: We talked to a couple of they guys at the end of the night at Elysium, such nice, nice guys, who were so appreciative when I told them how much I had enjoyed their set (and how much better they were than KMFDM. . they were). Apparently this is only the 3rd date on the tour? but they were having a blast up there, and it was infectious. . . and, as typical, Ogre was giving off a *very* Peter Gabriel crossed with Peter Murphy vibe from up there on the stage.

KMFDM: 5 out of 10

yeah. . . we didn't stay for the whole set, and that should tell you everything.
I love KMFDM, and was expecting them to focus on the later albums (which they did a lot), but opening with "Rip the System" and mid-set with "Light" helped keep me moving along as they also hit the more recent singles.
But as my Dad said when I took him to see the show "STOMP", after a few songs, I was like: "I get it. What else are you going to do?"
They just seemed a bit unexcited to be there, and when a fight with drunk fratboys and sorority girls broke out during "Hell Yeah" it was actually a bit more entertaining than what was on the stage.
Bumping into John who mentioned that the TTK show at Elysium had sold out, was more than enough impetus to cut out from Mohawk 20 minutes or so before the set ended, so we wouldn't have to fight the crowd to get into Elysium and get a good spot (which we managed to do up front). folks I talked to that stayed for the whole set said they didn't do an encore, or really end on a good note, just kind of walked off the stage.

So yeah. . not awful, but not the greatest thing I ever saw.
OhGr really should have been headliner, I suspect.

My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult: 10/10

Ab-so-freaking-lutely fantastic.
Yeah, Groovie is looking a bit like Geraldo Rivera these days (in particular with his glasses on), but man did he sound fantastic.

The 1st two albums live, followed by *every* B-side from the 12" released from those albums.
so yeah, got to hear "Devil Bunnies" and "Cuz it's Hot" among other things, played live!

The drums onstage just made the whole club pulse, so glad they have the full band and not just a programmed track to play with.

if you get a chance to see them on this tour, HIGHLY recommended.
IMG_2511.JPG
sign outside the sold out Mohawk
IMG_2514.JPG
OhGr comes on stage (with Ogre in a mask for the 1st song).

the two on the right, Lead Guitar, and Keyboards, are who we got a pic with 5 hours later, at a different club, where they had come to hang out with members of Thrill Kill Kult.
IMG_2520.JPG
OhGr, with Ogre still in mask
IMG_2530a.jpg
OhGr, but with Ogre no longer in mask :)
IMG_2532.JPG
KMFDM
IMG_2537.JPG
Sascha from KMFDM (yeah, we had a great spot)
IMG_2543.JPG
IMG_2549.JPG
Lucia from KMFDM
IMG_2552.JPG
Hi Lucia !
IMG_2565.JPG
My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult about to go onstage. . . yeah, we had great spots for them too, and the place was PACKED.
IMG_2573.JPG
it's Thrill Kill Kult!
IMG_2575.JPG
IMG_2578.JPG
IMG_2579.JPG
IMG_2531c.JPG
Me hanging out with members of OhGr (withought their stage makeup), post 2am in front of Elysium.
IMG_2531g.JPG
Wendy having a good time (she's a HUGE Nivek Ogre fan, and that was the band she wanted to see most, so I insisted she get a pic with these two) :)
IMG_2589.JPG
Groovie Mann from Thrill Kill Kult just hanging around the club after the set.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:54 pm

oh, adding musical aids for those not familiar with these spectacular bands:

ohGr "Water"

KMFDM "Light"

My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult "Do you fear for your child?"

and "Kooler than Jesus"

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Jason Maier » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:27 am

Foo Fighters at opening night of The Anthem club in Washington, DC.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:38 am

bert425 wrote:KMFDM

I listened to KMFDM back in middle school (Symbols-era). Bummer to hear they aren't cutting it live these days.
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

Postby bert425 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:28 pm

Ed Farmer wrote:
bert425 wrote:KMFDM

I listened to KMFDM back in middle school (Symbols-era). Bummer to hear they aren't cutting it live these days.

since En Esch split (he's actually performing solo on the Lords of Acid/Combichrist tour in town this Wed), they just aren't as good live.

Sascha and Luchia are trying (and the CDs are still good -- the newest one, Hell Yeah, is great). . . but honestly, majority of the time they are just standing behind the computer stacks. Not super exciting visually, even with the live drums. :(

and as it was the same night as OhGr (with Ogre really putting on a show), and MLwtTKK (with Groovie all over the damn stage), KMFDM really showed to be lacking in live performance.

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random