Last concert you attended?

Yes, nerdom has reached a whole new level...
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Re: Last concert you attended?

Postby PKI Jizzman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:13 am

Headed to Pitchfork music fest today and tomorrow:

Today - Vince Staples, Danny Brown, Dirty Projectors, LCD Soundsystem
Tomorrow - Parliament Funk, Francis and the Lights, Madlib, S U R V I V E, Tribe Called Quest (really stoked)
Chi life, live music, coasters, and traveling the world.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby I Like Theme Parks. » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:10 pm

Yesterday I saw Royal Headache, Pissed Jeans, and Dark Thoughts at Union Transfer in Philadelphia, and it was a great night.

Dark Thoughts is a new band from Philly, and it's great 70s-style punk, sort of like a more modernized Ramones. They actually remind me of the Hanson Brothers (a NoMeansNo side project), except better. In their sets they play the tracks from their first (and so far only) album in order. They were really solid, and I can't wait to hear more from them. Their drummer is really fast and hits the ride cymbal and high hat twice as much as what's necessary it's fun to watch!

Pissed Jeans is by far my favorite band out of these three. The band started playing "Have You Ever Been Furniture," one of their best songs, and the vocalist immediately started throwing himself across the stage, knockeding a bunch of crap over, and started screaming his head off. Epic start! Their stage presence was great throughout their entire set, and they lost no energy. The set was a little short since they were opening for Royal Headache, but the songs they chose were great selections. At the end, the guitarist threw his guitar across the stage, filled his mouth with water and spit all over it, unplugged and kicked around his pedals creating even more feedback noises. Now this is my kinda band! :b

Royal Headache is a very different kind of band, since they're definitely not heavy, but they play with tons of passion and emotion, and it's beautiful. Unfortunately, their recorded material doesn't really capture that, but they are amazing live. They played their best songs, some new songs, some slow R&B sounding songs at the end (those might have been covers, I don't know). The singer is incredible displays his pure emotions, and it's transcendent to see. I'd actually compare them to the Smiths or even the Killers during their Sams Town era, except as a punk band. He seemed to be worn out at the end and had to stop one song early, so I hope he's okay now. The crowd mostly came to see this band, so there was more moshing, while Pissed Jeans played to a crowd that had a mini 5-person pit at its most energetic, lol. From what I can find by looking up videos, it seemed like Pissed Jeans and Royal Headache put everything they had into this show, plus some. I think that was a very special performance we saw that night.

Tomorrow I see Negative Approach, then it's Melvins in August, then Dinosaur Jr. again in September.
Top 3 Parks: Knoebels, Cedar Point, Kennywood
Top 3 Steel Coasters: Phantom's Revenge, Intimidator 305, Fury 325
Top 3 Wood Coasters: El Toro, Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 3 Flat Rides: Knoebels Flyers, Black Widow, Zipper
Top 3 Water Rides: Coal Cracker, Escape From Pompeii, Splash Mountain
160 coasters

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:19 am

^ The Melvins was the loudest concert I have ever been to in my life...you have been warned. :lol:

Dinosaur Jr. would be a good band to see live. It's been a while since I have listened to them - I should go pick up their new disc.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Ed Farmer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Phish at Northerly Island (right on top of Lake Michigan). Planning on catching them again there on Sunday.
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

Postby I Like Theme Parks. » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:54 am

2 nights ago I saw Negative Approach with Bloodclot, Fire and Ice, Mindforce, and Please Die. It was at Underground Arts, so it was a very small and simple venue, pretty much a large basement with multiple rooms and some bars. I've never been to a show this small before, so it was pretty surreal to see such great bands up close with a smaller group of people.

Please Die was a good band to start off the show with. Nothing that unique or anything, but it was great thrashy hardcore punk.

Mindforce did an amazing job and brought their a-game. They have a bit more of a groove metal sound along with their hardcore. I definitely need to listen to them more often, especially since they have a new EP.

Fire and Ice was a little forgettable compared to the other bands, but still really good.

Bloodclot was amazing. John Joeseph is still really good, and you can really tell that the whole band are really experienced players. They have Nick Oliveri playing bass, the drummer was in a bunch of bands including Queens of the Stone Age, and the guitarist is fantastic. Great hardcore, still really solid even though they're all old.

Negative Approach did an amazing set. John Brannon is a rare case where his vocals got better with age. Everyone knew the lyrics so we got to mic multiple times. They played almost all of their songs, too. It was a great time.
Top 3 Parks: Knoebels, Cedar Point, Kennywood
Top 3 Steel Coasters: Phantom's Revenge, Intimidator 305, Fury 325
Top 3 Wood Coasters: El Toro, Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 3 Flat Rides: Knoebels Flyers, Black Widow, Zipper
Top 3 Water Rides: Coal Cracker, Escape From Pompeii, Splash Mountain
160 coasters

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Jameslofton » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:56 pm

Last concert I went to was Buckethead in San Francisco in July 2011. I've had tinnitus(both ears) since 2006 due to concerts and so much loud music in general in my youth. My ears were shot for days after this show. I was about 10 feet or so from the stage and that club was loud.

I was going to go see Guns N Roses last year for the 'reunion' but I had a major cancer scare(bladder) and my life practically came to a halt. I'm a hypocondriac in general and facing that crisis blew my mind. I wasn't going to any huge events while dealing with that.

I was going to see Soundgarden this year when the tour eventually hit the bay area and we all know what happened before Soundgarden made their way here.

I was advised years ago to stop going to concerts for the sake of my ears. I wanted to see Soundgarden one last time(impossible now), Guns N Roses one more time(last GNR show was in 91), and I'd like to see U2, maybe the Stones before giving it up completely. I'm considering Fleetwood Mac on their upcoming farewell tour.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Samuel » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:22 pm

Philrad71 wrote:^ The Melvins was the loudest concert I have ever been to in my life...you have been warned. :lol:

:nina:

The Melvins, oh man. You aren't kidding. I've seen them about five times, and the most recent one was the first time I've ever left my spot during a set to buy earplugs. You can feel your organs vibrating inside of you when they play.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Blind Idiot God » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:58 pm

Reminds me of how I could feel the noise tracks coming from Dylan's soundboard when I saw Full of Hell. I could definitely feel it down in my bones and I've never been happier to have earplugs in in my entire life.

Location: Ypsilanti, MI (four hours closer to CP than my old home)

Postby cparkes92 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:00 pm

Saw Queen + Adam Lambert on Thursday night at the Palace. It was a very good show! Adam Lambert fits in very well with them. Lambert isn't Freddie Mercury, but he sounds very good in his own right with the two remaining members of Queen (who both sound very good despite getting up there in age [guitarist Brian May just turned 70 and drummer Roger Taylor turns 68 next week]). It was a nearly full house and I was lucky enough to get moved up from the upper bowl to a seat just above floor level about a third of the way through the show. Also, the majority of people were standing most if not all of the show. I never sat down after the show started. The crowd was very interesting. I saw lots of younger people that were born after Freddie Mercury died (myself included) and some people who probably were able to see Queen (with Freddie and retired bassist John Deacon) in the 1970s and 1980s.
Top 10 steel: Millennium Force, Maverick, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, Top Thrill Dragster, Valravn, GateKeeper, Kraken
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat, Blue Streak (CP)

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:56 pm

I saw The Melvins and Full of Hell both last year, and no doubt, they're loud. Manowar was loud. Motorhead was loud. But they're not even close to Sunn 0))). That's the end all be all.

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random