TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official iPhone Discussion thread

robbalvey

This is a very odd article, but it would appear to be the "real deal." Check it out:

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

What's new

• Front-facing video chat camera

• Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)

• Camera flash

• Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)

• Improved display. It's unclear if it's the 960x460 display thrown around before—it certainly looks like it, with the "Connect to iTunes" screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.

• What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack

• Split buttons for volume

• Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic

What's changed

• The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or ceramic or shiny plastic in order for the cell signal to poke through. Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound

• An aluminum border going completely around the outside

• Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)

• Everything is more squared off

• 3 grams heavier

• 16% Larger battery

• Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery

Edited by gisco

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're real. I trust John Gruber from Daringfireball.net and he says that he thinks they're real...

So I called around, and I now believe this is an actual unit from Apple — a unit Apple is very interested in getting back. I am not certain that this looks like the actual production unit Apple intends to ship to consumers. I think it’s a testbed frame — thicker, with visible (un-Apple-like) seams, meant to fit in 3GS cases so as to disguise units out in the wild. It’s hard to tell from the photos. But I think it is the real deal in terms of the internals and display being next-gen iPhone hardware, and the new glass back. Put another way: the front looks legit, the back looks legit, but the sides I’m not sure about. A front-facing camera and 960 × 640 display are two things I believe are slated for the next iPhone. (The “80 GB” of storage sounds like a mistake to me, but who knows? SSD storage typically comes only in even power-of-two increments.)

• 1 month later...

Go to http://www.apple.com for full details and pics and such...it's pretty much exactly the leaked phone, but it's cool to know all the little details!

The new iPhone will have Apple's own A4 chip and a larger battery that will offer 40% more talk time than the previous model. It will also be capable of HSDPA/HSUPA speeds of 7.2Mbps down and 5.8Mbs up. Surprisingly, the iPhone will not see a storage bump in this generation, maxing out at 32GB like the current iPhone 3GS.

Other new additions include 802.11n Wi-Fi, a gyroscope to detect motion on 6 axes, as well as an LED flash to supplement the new 5-megapixel auto-focus lens. The updated camera will have 5x digital zoom and will record 720p HD video at 30 frames per second. Videos captured can be edited on the device using the new iMovie for iPhone.

The new iPhone 4 will also have a secondary microphone on the top for noise cancellation, as well as a front-facing camera for video calls. It will also use the smaller micro SIM, making use of the smaller SIM standard like the iPad.

Size-wise, it will be just 9.33mm thick, which is 24% thinner than the current iPhone 3GS. It will have a glass front and back with a stainless steel band that wraps around all sides. This band is used as part of the antenna system for the GSM, UMTS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth radios.

iPhone 4 will also have a Retina Display, a new display technology that packs in 326 pixels per inch, compared to the current iPhone's 163 ppi. Noting that the detection limit of the human eye is 300 ppi, Jobs described that the iPhone 4's display will "comfortably" exceed this and that text will be seen as a "fine printed book." The new iPhone's display will be the same 3.5-inch size of the current iPhone 3GS but with a resolution of 940 x 640 pixels and an 800:1 contrast ratio and the same IPS technology used in the iPad's display.

The new iPhone 4 model will go on sale on June 24 in the U.S., France, Germany, Japan, and the United Kingdom. In the U.S., it will cost $199 for the 16GB model and $299 for the 32GB model with a new 2-year contract. iPhone 4 will be available in 88 countries by the end of September.

151753-iphone-4-shot_500.png.59e2cfe7210e2b2132e65c8b711378ac.png

Edited by Wes

I read somewhere that if your current contract ends sometime in 2010, AT&T will allow an early upgrade to buy the new iPhone. I am assuming this means that you will be able to get the $199/$299 price for the 16MB/32MB models. If this is true, looks like I will finally be getting an iPhone earlier than November.

I read somewhere that if your current contract ends sometime in 2010, AT&T will allow an early upgrade to buy the new iPhone. I am assuming this means that you will be able to get the $199/$299 price for the 16MB/32MB models. If this is true, looks like I will finally be getting an iPhone earlier than November.

I think the rule was if it was a current iPhone contract, but I'm not quite sure.

I seriously wonder if this is due to the always rumored launch of the iPhone on Verizon. New phone=new contract=new more expensive early termination fees.

I seriously wonder if this is due to the always rumored launch of the iPhone on Verizon. New phone=new contract=new more expensive early termination fees.

I hope those rumors turn out to be true. I've been waiting on buying a Droid or Palm Pre because of this.

^ The stats on Verizon customers waiting for an iPhone are probably compelling reading for Apple, and they have multi-carrier models in many other comparable markets so hopefully you'll be free from AT&T soon!

I'm looking forward to this one, I wasn't sure about the styling when Gizmodo leaked it, but it's definitely growing on me

Dave

It looks like the early upgrade will indeed just be for current iPhone users.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/20100607/tc_macworld/attdetailsearlyiphone4eligibilitypricing

I was tempted to get the 3GS when it was rumored to be lowered to $99, but that price will only be for the new 8GB model and I am wanted at least 16GB. So, I think I will go with the newer model over the $50 savings to go with 3GS.

My contract with Sprint ends in September and I am debating on whether to upgrade to a HTC Evo 4 g or go over to AT&T for the Iphone. I get a 20% discount off my bill from both companies, but not having an unlimited data plan worries me.

I really don't understand the fuss behind the no more unlimited plan (although as a grandfathered in customer I currently have it).

Robb is a great example, he is CONSTANTLY on the phone, uploading pictures to the website, doing emails, apps, watching videos, etc. and he has never gone over 2 gigs (the larger of the two plans being offered).

I understand that with the new FaceTime video chat it could be a bit more difficult, but I also think they won't make it kill your bandwith cause then people would be pissed and not use it.

^ You're exactly right. Very few people go over the 2GB limit, in fact the only people I personally know who do are the people who jailbroke their phone and use it as a modem for their laptop. The only other examples I've heard are people who stream some of the internet radio stations (like Pandora) all day going over. Of course now that Netflix is on the phone, that has the potential to eat through the allotment faster.

The FaceTime thing will only work over WiFi for now, so there's no way for that to affect the limit.

The bottom line is that the cap won't affect most people, it's just that the people it will affect are very vocal.

Also, Verizon has already said they're going to have similar bandwidth caps soon enough, so don't think the grass is greener over there either.

^The FaceTime chat will not have an effect on it since you can only use it through wifi. Edit: (Wes beat me to it)

The only thing I don't like about the new data plans is that they are only giving you 200MB for the cheaper plan. Since it is very easy to go over 200MB (the average iPhone customer uses 250MB/month), that pretty much forces you to go with the 2GB plan which only saves you $5 month. And if you go over the 200MB, it becomes $30 for 400MB, which is $5 more than if you just go with the 2GB plan. I understand why they are doing it, I just wish the cheaper plan maxed out at 400MB.

I even have NetShare that was on the app store for about 3 hours before it got taken down so I can tether to my laptop (and do quite often when wi-fi costs money) and I never use more than 2GB a month. I'm pretty sure we're still unlimited on O2 (probably due to multiple carriers in the UK) but I wouldn't mind a 2GB/month restriction.

Dave

I have a HTC Eris and I never go over 2 gigs unless I tether, then it's way too easy (like I did last week when I was away from home at a work site, the hotel's internet SUCKED.) I see them doing this as a way to finally release tethering to the iPhone, something that you could do for nearly a year in other countries...

Gotcha, thanks guys!

And now that you mentioned it, I forgot about the Netflix app. That sounds fantastic if it really works. Would totally get me to renew my netflix membership.

I know! It's great to see Netflix expanding, and the only reason I canceled it was because the online selection wasn't great and I could only watch on my computer. But now you can watch Netflix on iPhones, IPod Touches, XBOX 360, and the Wii!

• 2 weeks later...

^Why does everyone care about the silly wallpaper thing? I myself would just like to keep my background looking as clean a possible, probably dark solid colors so I can actually read the names of my App's.

[HD video recording and iMovie ]