TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Podcasts and Radio Shows

Twister II

Podcasts

Always

In the Loop

The Opie and Anthony Podcast

Depending on the Episode

CoasterRadio.com (Too much Disney on this one, so I generally avoid the Disney episodes, it gets repetitive)

Season Pass (I look through the interviews and listen to the ones with interesting guests / parks).

Radio Shows

Opie and Anthony (XM / Sirius)

Boomer and Carton (WFAN NY)

Michael Kay Show (ESPN Radio NY)

Thanks to Opie and Anthony I despise almost every radio jock (if you ever listen to their "Jocktober" shows you'll hate them too) so I either stick to satellite radio, sports talk or stations that just play music (with Jack FM in Los Angeles being my favorite).

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Before I recommend any others: The Flop House

If you like comedy podcasts and haven't listened to it, I can't recommend it highly enough. It's by far the most consistently entertaining show I've listened to, and I'm on my third or fourth play-through of the entire series.

Other things I consistently listen to, in rough order of preference:

Hockey

Marek vs. Wyshynski

Comedy

Mike and Tom Eat Snacks

If I Were You

Comedy Bang Bang

Car Talk

I could honestly go on forever breaking down my opinions of podcasts, but those are what I'm listening to at the moment.

• 2 years later...

Aside from the occasional sports radio (97.5 FANATIC, 94WIP), most of my audio consumption is done via podcasts. I listen to a lot of different ones covering a variety of topics.

The various Crooked Media podcasts:

- Pod Save America

- Pod Save the World

- Pod Save the People

- Lovett or Leave It

- With Friends Like These

A couple NPR shows:

- This American Life

- Planet Money

- Serial (when it updates)

- S-Town

And some one-offs:

- Larry Wilmore: Black on the Air

- Thinking CAP - weekly show from the Center for American Progress

- The Alton Browncast (food / media, though he updates relatively infrequently)

- Talk is Jericho (Chris Jericho podcast, covers wrestling, rock/metal, and pop culture)

- Good Job, Brains! (trivia)

- Preston and Steve show (morning show on 93.3 WMMR - Philly talk, humor, topical news, music, etc)

I infrequently listen to:

- Stuff You Should Know (used to listen more, but I grew less and less fond of the hosts)

- The Dave Ramsey Show (financial advice is pretty on point, but it's hard to take him seriously sometimes - I don't really care that he's a born again Christian, and he's good with not being too preachy on his shows, but his political rants are a joke and loosely based in reality)

Edited by michaellynn4

I love podcasts, though admittedly I don't really ever leave my comfort bubble. All of the ones I listen to are history related.

Always:

The History of Rome: One of my favorites. Mike Duncan covers both the Republic and the Empire phase of Rome and goes out to 476. This is such a well-done job that it has actually lead to a book deal.

The History of Byzantium: Picks up the story of the Eastern Roman Empire and takes it out through 1453 (though to this point we are only through 1000). It's a great podcast if you're looking to see the entire journey of the Romans.

Revolutions: Another Mike Duncan podcast, and my personal favorite. This podcast covers the Revolutions of the 18th and 19th century. His series on the French revolution was extraordinarily well done. For those of you who have studied the French Revolution, it's one of the most complicated and convoluted events you can imagine. Mike Duncan does a good job of breaking it done and providing an excellent narrative history.

The History of England: Jury is still out on this one for me. Where I am at this point we are just finishing up the Anglo-Saxon era. I, personally, have never been a giant fan of dark age English history, however I think it will get moving once we reach William the Conquerer.

Sometimes:

Hardcore History: It's the gold standard for history podcasting. I enjoyed the WWI series, however, I'm not a big fan of Dan Carlins style. If you're not somebody who is really into history however and you want to try a history podcast, this is the one for you. Dan Carlin is much less like a professor rattling off facts, and more laid back and conversational.

When Diplomacy Fails: A podcast that looks at the reasons why diplomacy sometimes doesn't work.

10 American Presidents: A very well done podcast that hasn't been updated since June. I'm hoping for more episodes from this one in the future.