TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Mega Dead Celebrity Thread

Just got an email from a news channel that Pope John Paul II has died. The Vatican confirmed it within the last hour. I'm not Catholic, and I don't agree with some of the Catholic doctrine, but I must say that I greatly admire the Pope for many reasons, the biggest being that he was such a wonderful humanitarian and that unlike many "religious" leaders, he always seemed to live the life. May his soul rest well with God.

I felt very moved when i heard.

I'm not religious, but my family are Irish Catholic and its always been part of my life. My mum and auntie had candles burning since friday.

Some of the other forums i post on have been most derogatory about him.

I find it weird that there is no objectivity when it comes to this man. Yes, he did a lot of great things. But, he's human, he's not perfect (although I guess when your Pope your supposed to be). There are still priests diddling little kids, and this man did very little to stop that.

I just don't understand all of the deifying of a man. He's a sinner, just like all of us. How does one become pope? He get's voted to be pope by a bunch of other sinners, and all of the sudden he is without sin? What is that???

I haven't seen this kind of coverage for any head of a foreign state since ... well, since never. My kids school had their flags at half mast today. Why??? Did the President die? Did we have some major national disaster? Nope. I doubt flags will be at half mast when Margaret Thatcher dies. She did more for the US than any previous foreign dignatary.

Let's face it ... the Pope is a political appointment who happens to be steep in Religious ceremony. That's it. He's a man, nothing more, nothing less.

The other thing I found absolutely HILARIOUS was the line of cars going into the Catholic church by our house yesterday. The only other time I have seen it like that was Easter 2 years ago. I just don't understand that. What do people think:

"Hey Honey, we haven't been to church in 2 years, but the Pope died so we should go ..."

Doesn't make sense to me. If you weren't a good enough Catholic to go when the man was alive, then why do you feel the need to go when he is dead?

I hope I haven't offended anybody by this, but let's keep this in perspective.

9/11 - Tragic

Challenger - Tragic

Tsunami of '04 - Tragic

Pope Dying - Mother Nature, Circle of Life ... whatever you want to call it.

good comment

Maybe you learned something from CNN?

I would go look fast to it again maybe they finally anounced that they're also are going to ring bells with it... specially for the not so gifted people (hint above)

as for SuperCrack you are totally right for the lower part of your comment.

I haven't seen this kind of coverage for any head of a foreign state since ... well, since never. My kids school had their flags at half mast today. Why??? Did the President die? Did we have some major national disaster? Nope. I doubt flags will be at half mast when Margaret Thatcher dies. She did more for the US than any previous foreign dignatary.

Isn't really true actually for the Rome-Catholic Christians his dead means alot it's the representative of their religion and it's sort of their bond to God/Christ. It is normal that they find this terrible.

But I thought that most Americans were'nt Romes-Catholic? oh well it's yust like everybody is going mad: even Fidel Castro went to curch after 51 years OEH YEAH he's a true believer ...not

Wow, bells too! they've come a long way... (sarcasm)

As is was taught in a catholic school.

the white smoke signifies the devine approval of their choice for pope. black smoke is not good.

Again, as i was taught: they used smoke because it was easier to show the uneducated people than explain it to them... White is good, black is bad, etc...

• 4 months later...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/people/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001017139

Pixar Animation's Joe Ranft, 45

By Sheigh Crabtree

Joe Ranft, Pixar Animation Studios' head of story for more than a decade and a cornerstone of the company's creative team, died Tuesday when the car he was riding in plunged into the ocean after running off the road in Mendocino County, Calif. He was 45.

A spokeswoman for the Mendocino County Sheriff-Coroner's Office confirmed Wednesday that Ranft was one of two people who died when the 2004 Honda Element they were traveling in veered off the road while heading north on Highway 1.

The California Highway Patrol said the crash occurred at about 3 p.m. Tuesday as the driver tried to regain control of the car after swerving when he headed into a tight left curve. The car fell 130 feet over the side of the road, overturning twice before it landed in the water near the mouth of the Navarro River where it meets the Pacific Ocean, the CHP said.

The driver, identified by the Coroner's Office as Elegba Earl, 32, of Los Angeles, also was killed in the crash. The third person in the car, whom the CHP identified as Eric Frierson, 39, of Los Angeles, survived by climbing through the sun roof. He was hospitalized with moderate injuries at Mendocino Coast Hospital, according to officer Robert Simas of the CHP office in Ukiah.

Ranft was a co-writer on 1995's "Toy Story," for which he earned an Oscar nomination, and 1998's "A Bug's Life." Before Pixar, he was a leading member of the story department at Walt Disney Feature Animation, where he was a writer on 1991's "Beauty and the Beast" and 1994's "The Lion King."

"Joe was an important and beloved member of the Pixar family, and his loss is of great sorrow to all of us and to the animation industry as a whole," the Emeryville, Calif.-based company said Wednesday. In addition to his work as a writer, Ranft performed the voices for numerous characters in Pixar features.

Director Henry Selick, Ranft's friend and longtime collaborator, called him "the story giant of our generation."

Before joining Pixar, Ranft worked with Selick as a storyboard supervisor on 1993's "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas." Selick met Ranft at Disney in the early 1980s, and his first impression of Ranft was that he was "a huge guy" who was well over 6 feet tall.

"His drawing at the time was really crude, but he was the sweetest, funniest guy," Selick said. "I've never seen anyone try to improve himself as much as Joe did over the years."

He also was highly versatile, Selick recalled.

"He could do these beautiful sweet gags for a family film and then do these weird, depraved cartoons of anyone who needed to be skewered," Selick said. "We'd do hundreds of drawings, and Joe was always the guy who was able to go back in and say, 'This is about the process; let's try it again.' "

Ranft's voice-over work for Pixar included such characters as Heimlich in "A Bug's Life" and Wheezy the Penguin in "Toy Story 2."

Born in Pasadena in 1960, Ranft was raised in Whittier, Calif., where as a child he developed a fondness for performing magic tricks. He was a classmate of Pixar's John Lasseter at the California Institute of the Arts in the 1970s.

After two years at CalArts, Ranft joined Disney in 1980. In 1992, he reunited with Lasseter at Pixar, where his early work included pitching and storyboarding the first sequence for "Toy Story," the Green Army Men sketch.

"Every film Joe's name was on was successful artistically and financially," Selick said. "Sometimes he contributed small details, sometimes the whole thing. He was a story giant of our generation."

That's very sad. He did some tremendously memorable work.