TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Music, Music, Music

Wes

Here's a thread to discuss music. For example, if you want to talk about a band, or an upcoming album, or just general talk about genres or style or whatever, it goes in here.

RULE OF THE THREAD: This isn't a thread to just post the names of bands you like. If you wanna talk about the band, that's fine, but just listing bands is not the point of this thread

BAD: Metallica rules.

GOOD: Metallica rules, I really enjoyed their last album, I thought the style was excellent....

AC/DC's newest album, "Black Ice" To be released around the world in late October.

:October 17

:October 18

:October 20

:October 21

:October 22

Tracks:

"Rock 'n Roll Train"

"Skies on Fire"

"Big Jack"

"Anything Goes"

"War Machine"

"Smash 'n' Grab"

"Spoilin' for a Fight"

"Wheels"

"Decibel"

"Stormy May Day"

"She Likes Rock 'n' Roll"

"Money Made"

"Rock 'n' Roll Dream"

"Rocking All the Way"

"Black Ice"

Well I think this would be a good place to repost this...

***All Hope is Gone Review***

Ok, so I managed to get a copy of Slipknot's new album, which came out a few days ago, on the 26th, and since I'm bored, I figured I'd do a review of the album. So song-by-song, this is what I think of the album.

Track 1: ".execute."-1:49 I don't really know what to think of this song, it is for the most part somewhat garbled music with Corey speaking something radio-staticy and somewhat unintelligible. Then about 3/4 of the way through Joey begins to pound on his drums and Corey's speaking becomes more intelligible. Not much to the song, but I guess it wouldn't be a Slipknot album without a weird intro track. 3/10

Track 2: "Gematria (The Killing Name)"-6:01 Kind of an awkward transition between the end of .execute. and this song, but that isn't really worth much mention. This song is great! Nice opening riff, cool guitar solo (or solos you could say) a great, rhythmic chorus. Overall, a Thrash/Speed metal-like song that is pretty damn good! 7.5/10

Track 3: "Sulfur"-4:37 An ok song, it is nice and rhythmic. (most the songs off of this album seem to have this trait) It has some nice double bass beats and tom rolls from Joey. The song has typical Slipknot vocals, which are somewhere between speaking, grunting and screaming, but also mixes in a nice melodic chorus. (another common trait of a few songs from the 'Knot) 7/10

Track 4: "Psychosocial"-4:43 One of my favorites off of the album. It has some more awesome double bass, wich Joey breaks down with some nice 1/4 notes on the bass drums every few measures, followed by a nice groove of 1/8 notes and a nice tom roll here and there. It has an awesome, face melting guitar solo, courtesy of Jim and Mick, (Or so I would assume, it seems to me that they switch off during the solo) a great opening riff and a fitting main riff. And still more of the awesome mix of traditional Slipknot singing and a melodic chorus. Overall, great pick for a single. 9/10

Track 5: "Dead Memories"-4:28 A very melodic song compared to most of the album, but not the most melodic from the album. The song is a great break from the heavier tracks before it. It is supposed to be a recall of the last 10 years of Corey's life, without naming names of those who have hurt him. It has a nice chorus with thick music in the background. But it does have a few awkward moments, such as the guitar solo about 5/8th of the way through, which leads into a short, soft section, and back into the thick chorus. Overall, another great pick for a single. 8/10

Track 6: "Vendetta"-5:15 This song has a great opening drum segment from Joey with some great 1/16 note kicks. (If you haven't figured out by now, I'm a real drum enthusiast) I don't know why, but the singing from this song kinda reminds me of a rocked out country song...(??Taiko Laughing??) A nice all around song that almost anyone could like. Great drumming, guitar, and vocals. 7.5/10

Track 7: "Butcher's Hook"-4:14 For the name of this song I was expecting something really heavy and old Slipknot-ish, which isn't exactly what I got, but I still got a great song!. There isn't really much to this song if you ask me, but that doesn't stop it from being great. It does have some older Slipknot type lyrics. Such as the verse:

"You'll never censor me!/You'd better cherish me!

My reason has a voice!/Freedom's gone but we'll always have a choice!

It's my present future tense!/It doesn't make much sense!

I'm coming after you!/F*ck you all I'm the only point of view!" Which then leads into a great guitar solo. Not something most radio stations will play, but just about any metal fan would like this song. 8/10

Track 8: "Gehanna"-6:53 (Damn, these are getting pretty long for Slipknot! Excluding the song Iowa anyway.) This song was pretty slow and freaky. It opens up with a thin sounding guitar riff, which then thickens up into the main riff. For a good part the song has some depressing vocals, broken up with a few screams. The song brakes out into a great guitar solo and then goes back to the odd, depressing lyrics and main riff. It seems to me that this album is to Slipknot what Ten Thousand Fists was to Disturbed. Solos appear in this album much more often than in the previous albums. Vol. 3 had what? 3 solos? And I don't even think there were any in the Slipknot and Iowa albums. But overall, it is very listenable for its length. With most songs this long, about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through, I'm thinking to myself: "Ok... You can die any time now..." I think it is a very good song, so I'll rate it at 7/10.

Track 9:"This Cold Black"-4:40 This is a great song! It has a really great, thick, in-your-face guitar riff, and some really great, fast double bass passages. (Nothing like the sound of rapid beating on a nicely muffled pair of 22x18s...) And a really, really messed up (In a good way) guitar solo. Though a little death metal-ish (not my favorite kind of guitar solo), it is really good. 7/10

Track 10:"Wherein Lies Continue"-5:36 This song is okay. There is nothing really special to it. But it is not bad by any means. It has a nice chorus. It also seems that Slipknot has matured a great deal since their first two albums, though I loved the heavier, darker, more Nu-Metal sound from them. (Especially Iowa) 6/10

Track 11:"Snuff"-4:36 Wow, this is probably my favorite song off of the entire album. While I did just mention that I liked the old sound from Slipknot, the slow songs like this one and Circle and Vermilion Pt. 2 from Vol.3 are just about my favorite things that the new albums have brought to the table. It is a great, slow song. While the lyrics are depressing, they are at the same time uplifting, this would be a great song to slow dance to with your girlfriend (Or boyfriend). 10/10

Track 12:"All Hope is Gone"-4:47 Ah, the title song. This is another great song! It has an awesome intro with some fast blast beats barely 10 seconds into the song. This song is close to the old Slipknot, but it just doesn't quite hit that bell in my opinion. Nevertheless, it is still another one of my favorites! 8.75/10

Bonus Track 1:"Child of Burning Time"-5:09 I don't really know how to describe this song, other that great! It is pretty much all clean vocals, and is a peaceful, yet thrilling song. The drumming is pretty slow for the most part in this song, but it fits it really well. 8.5/10

Bonus Track 2:"Vermilion Pt.2 (Bloodstone Remix)-3:39 This is a nice little treat. VP2 was one of my favorites off of Volume 3. And the more synthetic, echo-ey sound of the remix, plus the addition of some simple drumming and some great guitar about halfway through made it sound better than the original in my opinion! 9/10

Bonus Track 3:" 'Til We Die"-5:45 Not one of my favorites. It just didn't feel 'right'. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it just didn't flow right to me. 4/10.

The average rating for the album based on the songs, would be about 6.75, though I would rate it higher as a whole. Probably about an 8.5 or 9.

Also,Led Zeppelin is supposedly going on tour in May. But I just checked and news reports are saying that was a rumor, but I still figured it would be worth mentioning...[/b]

I'm bored so I'll post a album review.

This is a review for Angels and Airwaves album I-Empire.

1. Call to Arms: Great way to start off the album. The intro is very epic, in the sense that it builds up to the song starting with a intense marching band style drum roll. The whole song is very upbeat. It really shows off what AvA can do, instrumental wise. I personally think it's a great way to start off an album. It's my personal favorite from the album. 10/10

2. Everything's Magic:Their most popular song. It is very upbeat and the lyrics are very simple. It's not really in my top favorites but don't get me wrong the drumming is great, and the bass really sticks out in this song. The guitar riff in the chorus is my favorite part of this song. 8/10

3. Breathe: One of the two slower songs on the album. The lyrics are amazing and very deep. The drumming is done with brushes in this song which make it have a very soft sounding beat the whole time until the outro, which is my favorite part of the song. There is also great keyboard work on this track. 10/10

4. Love Like Rockets: Wow, very unique. I really love the intro to this song. The sounds are just mind blowing. Again this intro really builds up to the beginning of the lyrics. Now speaking of lyrics, these are really motivational, they really make you wanna go do something, doesn't matter what, it just makes you wanna do anything with your life that will have a positive outcome. David Kennedy has great riffs in this one. 9.5/10

5. Sirens: I really, really, really like the lyrical work on this track. In fact this was my favorite song off the album for a while. The bass guitar is really great in this. The drums as well. The 80's sounding keyboard in the bridge is just awesome! 10/10

6. Secret Crowds: This was the second single off of the album (Everything's Magic being the first). It's a lot heavier compared to the other tracks. It has a very strong guitar riff in the chorus. Really awesome drumming can be found in the verses of this track. The lyrics are really powerful in my opinion. 10/10

7. Star of Bethlehem: A instrumental only track which is basically the intro to the next song "True Love". It serves it's purpose but I cannot really rate it because it could basically be all one song as "True Love"...?/10

8. True Love: Some people say this song and some of their others have too long of intros. But I think they are very well needed, because it makes the listener stay waiting for the lyrics to kick in. Plus, none of the intros are boring/bland. They are all very unique and have either amazing guitar/bass riffs or drum beats. I really like how the guitar and drums blend together in this song. Also really like the drumming in the verses. 9/10

9. Lifeline: I cannot think of another song in the world that is anything like this song. Tom DeLonge's vocals int his song are awesome. The lyrics are just amazing. The bass work by Matt Wachter. This is my third favorite from the album. 10/10

10. Jumping Rooftops: To me this instrumental really helps you "jump" from a song like Lifeline to a song that is next called Rite Of Spring. They are two totally opposite songs, and this gives you a great break before the upbeat Rite Of Spring. It would be a weird track change without this. Serves its purpose. 8/10

11. Rite Of Spring: The song about the lead singer Tom DeLonge's life. It covers his childhood to Blink 182, to now with Angels and Airwaves. The lyrics are really personal in this one. It just makes you appreciate the band and you can relate with most of the things. The one lyric from this song is my all time favorite quote. "Everyday, I wake up and tell myself a little harmless lie. The whole wide world is mine". In my opinion very inspirational. 10/10

12. Heaven: If I could pick any song to end the album this would be it. It's intro flashes back on their first album We Don't Need To Whisper which ties into this album to make one long story. The drums/guitar/bass in this song give me chills when I listen. It is very upbeat and a very fun song to listen to. This is ending the story of the two albums because Tom has stated in interviews that the third album will be a whole new story. My second favorite from the album. 10/10

Overall I would give the album a 10/10 because it is just so unique, and very inspirational in its lyrics. I would check the band out if you wanna discover a whole new sound of music and definately look into their first album as well.

One of my favorite bands is on there 1st tour! Is anyone a fan of Hollywood Undead? They are a unique blend of Rap/rock/and pop that sound great combined! If your interested here's a list of the rest of their tour. I'm going to the one in San Francisco on Oct 14th!! I'm so excited. Anyone else going?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October, 3 2008 06:00 PM - Agora Ballroom

5000 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, Ohio 44103 - 10/12

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/050040FFB93B5B34

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October, 4 2008 10:00 PM - The Machine Shop

3539 South Dort Hwy, Flint, Michigan 48507 - $10

October, 5 2008 06:00 PM - Reggie’s Rock Club

2109 S State Street, Chicago, Illinois - 10/12

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=294559

October, 6 2008 06:00 PM - 7th Street Entry

701 First Ave North, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55402 - 12

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/06004105C36F8068

October, 9 2008 08:00 PM - Launchpad

618 Central Ave SW, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87102 - $1.04

October, 10 2008 07:30 PM - The Marquis Theatre

2009 Larimer St, Denver, Colorado 80202 - 10/12

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&pl=&eventId=293708

October, 11 2008 07:00 PM - Club Sound

579 W 200 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101 - 10/12

http://ktix.ticketforce.com/default.asp?SearchText=hollywood&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

October, 13 2008 07:00 PM - Boardwalk

9426 Greenback Lane, Orangevale, California 95662 - 12

http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?agency=TDC&pid=6311090

October, 14 2008 07:00 PM - Bottom of the Hill

1233 17th Street, San Francisco, California 94107 - 10/12

http://www.tktit.com/box_office/event/75

October, 30 2008 08:00 PM - Safari Sams

, Los Angeles, California 90027 - FREE

My favorite band would have to be Rush. They were on tour this past summer, but I wasn't able to get to any of the shows. Too bad, though, I would love to see them live. I hear the tickets are ridiculously expensive, though. I did see Springsteen live in Columbus this past March. That was a hell of a show. Anyone else pumped that he'll be doing the Superbowl Halftime Show this year?!?

I can't wait for the new AC/DC album. It's gonna be sick.

I'm a Progressive/Trance buff myself. Tiesto, Armin van Buuren, ATB, Above & Beyond, Juno Reactor, I'm open to most of that kind of music. I'll listen to Rock if it's good. Metal would be a stretch. Anything beyond that is not my cup of tea. Or coffee.

Want to blast your subwoofer out? Listen to "Under the Influence" by The Chemical Brothers. WOW. Bass through the roof. And floor and walls.

I'm going to a Video Games Live concert on December 26, 2008 at NJPAC. W00t!

I brought myself 2 Grandaddy albums today, The Sophtware Slump and Under the western freeway, I know there kind of an old band and have had their time, but I can hand on heart say that they are the most beautiful albums I have ever heared. Every single instrument played on the albums sound amazing. If your a fan of Radiohead, then go look them up, their a bit like Radiohead but a lot less depressing. Not that I don't like Radiohead but I just think their lyrics are really depressing especially on the song creep. I really reccoment you go buy the 2 grandaddy albums because they are amazing. I can't wait till I have enough money to buy Sumday.

Cheers,

BlackHole2005

^ Quite while you're ahead. Sophtware Slump is about as good as they get, and everything they released after that was progressively worse. Sumday is alright but doesn't have the depth of their previous stuff, Todzilla and Fambly Cat are just plain bad.

They are one of the few bands I've liked where I was glad when they broke up.

And as a whole, I find Grandaddy to be far more depressing ("Under The Weeping Willow", "So you'll Aim Toward The Sky", "Final Push To The Sum", "The Warming Sun") than most Radiohead.

Yeh I see what you mean, I listened to the lyrics of Summer here kids and it was about a kid stuck inside while his mates are all outside. Everything beautiful is far away is quite a depressing song aswell, tthe film wall-e would really suit the lyrics to that song.

Have you managed to buy The Hold Steadys new album yet? If so what do you think about it?

"Stay Positive"...I like it but I'm not in love with it. I think "Separation Sunday" and "Boys & Girls in America" are both essentially flawless, and I guess it's selfish to think that they'd get three in a row, but I have trouble connecting with a portion of the material.

There's one song I truly don't like (Navy Sheets) and there's a few that are okay but not great. That being said, the last song on there (Slapped Actress) is truly spectacular and probably one of my favorite songs by them.

I think Craig needs to take a step back and stop writing around the same subjects. I think the religious "seeing visions" stuff he keeps centering on is getting a little stale, and as much as I've enjoyed the Holly/Gideon/Charlemegne lyrical references, I'm at the point where I think it's becoming a hindrance on the rest of his material. He's obviously a fantastic and capable writer, so I don't think it would hurt if he finally dropped the stuff he's been writing about for four albums now.

Not that I don't like Radiohead but I just think their lyrics are really depressing especially on the song creep.

So you know, Radiohead will never preform this song again... EVER. They absolutely hate this song and just forget that it even exists. Look at the lyrics to their other song "My Iron Lung"... it's basically talking trash about Creep.

"This, this is our new song

Just like the last one

A total waste of time

My iron lung"

Basically saying that if it weren't for the Radio-Friendliness of that song, no one would know who they are. And that they were only recognized for that one song.