TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

A shame to hear about Newsies, I LOVE the show, and have watched to filmed version that came out recently countless times. A community theater near me is putting it on in the spring, and if my schedule isn't too packed, I'll try auditioning for it, but hopefully it will be better put on than the one you saw. On another note, this coming weekend,I'm seeing a community theater's production of Tuck Everlasting, a short-lived but AMAZING show, lost in the shadow known as Hamilton. Anyway, I'll report back about that hopefully!

...and then I found THIS!

Follies - National Theatre Live

(On The Big Screen!)

November 16, 2017 | 3h 30m

Find Showtimes

Director

Dominic Cooke

Cast

Imelda Staunton, Tracie Bennett, Janie Dee...

Synopsis

Stephen Sondheim’s legendary musical is staged for the first time at the National Theatre and broadcast live to cinemas. New York, 1971. There’s a party on the stage of the Weismann Theatre. Tomorrow the iconic building will be demolished. Thirty years after their final performance, the Follies girls gather to have a few drinks, sing a few songs and lie about themselves. Tracie Bennett, Janie Dee and Imelda Staunton play the magnificent Follies in this dazzling new production. Featuring a cast of 37 and an orchestra of 21, it’s directed by Dominic Cooke (The Comedy of Errors). Winner of Academy, Tony, Grammy and Olivier awards, Sondheim’s previous work includes A Little Night Music, Sweeney Todd and Sunday in the Park with George.

Anybody with new info. on this broadcast production, I would LOVE to hear from you!

I am an all-time bonafied FOLLIES FREEK. And I know of what I speek. Big TIme.

Thanks in advance!

NRTHWND - As a "bonafied Follies Freak," you may already have this incredible book - BUT - if you do not, you should see if you can find a copy of 'Everything Was Possible' - The Birth of the Musical FOLLIES, by Ted Chapin. (Came out in 2003 and it takes you from the crazy casting days to the drama-filled rehearsals to the 'nurturing' of its stars to the pressure-filled try-outs and, finally!, OPENING NIGHT on Bdway. It's one of my favorite Broadway memoirs. And the photos are gems!

Hope you find it. I saw one of the first Bdway revivals of the show, Follies, and it's definitely a Sondheim treasure. (Will be checking out the broadcast production you mention....that should be amazing.)

Alice

^ Thanks, and I already got it when it first came out, LOL! I have several Sondheim books which also have chapters related to FOLLIES, as well as his other musical creations. And when I first read "Everything Was Possible" I wrote a note to Ted Chapin (the author) with my own comments about it, and he graciously wrote me a note back, thanking me for the contact, and answer the couple of questions I had about FOLLIES. I also had a bit of a writing thing going on (still do, with cards) with Sondheim himself, through the years, which is cool to do.

It's a really awesome book, so thank you for reminding me about it.

*My only "concern" about this broadcast National Theatre production of FOLLIES,

is that it will turn into more of a concert, and not a full-scale production (sets

and costumes, choreography etc.) of it.

I hope you enjoy the broadcast, as much as I know I will, LOL!

And P.S. Did you see the recent revival with Bernadette Peters? And Elaine Paige?

Or did you see the 2001 revival, with Treat Williams and Judith Ivey? Just curious of me.

EverythingWasPossible_book.jpg.57d28fb8cd87f88852bd34cee25b2b09.jpg

This is the original book, published in 2003.

There's a newer designed cover on it, nowadays.

^ Thanks, and I already got it when it first came out, LOL! I have several Sondheim books which also have chapters related to FOLLIES, as well as his other musical creations. And when I first read "Everything Was Possible" I wrote a note to Ted Chapin (the author) with my own comments about it, and he graciously wrote me a note back, thanking me for the contact, and answer the couple of questions I had about FOLLIES. I also had a bit of a writing thing going on (still do, with cards) with Sondheim himself, through the years, which is cool to do.

It's a really awesome book, so thank you for reminding me about it.

*My only "concern" about this broadcast National Theatre production of FOLLIES,

is that it will turn into more of a concert, and not a full-scale production (sets

and costumes, choreography etc.) of it.

I hope you enjoy the broadcast, as much as I know I will, LOL!

And P.S. Did you see the recent revival with Bernadette Peters? And Elaine Paige?

Or did you see the 2001 revival, with Treat Williams and Judith Ivey? Just curious of me.

NRTHWND, somehow I just KNEW you'd have that Follies book! (Tho it's weird how many of my friends in the theater never heard of it! ) How cool that you corresponded with Ted Chapin - and with Sondheim, himself. Those letters/cards must be real 'keepers!' Oddly enuf, Sondheim lived in this huge turn-of-the-century building across from me -the Apthorp - Bdway & 79th...but, alas, I never 'ran into him.' (Unless we were waiting at the fish counter in Zabar's together.)

To answer your question, I missed out on the recent revival with Bernadette Peters. (And, as for Elaine Paige....I ADORE her!) Bernadette (along with the sadly deceased and much missed Mary Tyler Moore) runs the annual "Broadway Barks" festival in Schubert Alley each year, and works very hard to put together a day to benefit the city's homeless dogs. She's got unbelievable energy! Cool event!

You're probably right about the National Theater production of FOLLIES leaning more towards a "concert" than the true spirit of a show.....but with Imelda Staunton in the cast, I think she'll make it as 'real' as she can.

P.S. A little theater humor. As an actor, I never made it to Broadway (I'm not a musical performer), but my first Shih Tzu and my twin's Lhasa Apso appeared in The Mystery of Edwin Drood. At least SOMEONE in my family got to 'tread the boards of the Great White Way!!!'

Alice

^ I truly envy where you are living. I have had the good fortune to visit New York four times, and I experienced some very awesome original first time productions, such as A Chorus Line (twice!), Chicago, Pacific Overtures, Pippin, Evita, Annie, Cats, Into The Woods, Dreamgirls, Little Shop of Horrors, Nine, Sweeney Todd...the list goes on and on.

But I haven't been back to New York since the late 80s. Timing and money, mainly. But that's okay. I still collect the CDs and follow the websites for Broadway info. And I am definitely curious, if there's anybody I know from my past, who's coming to see this FOLLIES, as well as we are. Intrigue!

By the way, did you ever consider doing straight plays for Broadway? Sometimes the world thinks all we go on and on and on about are the musicals. Not so, of course. And there are some definite amazing plays to be seen and a part of. Just thought I'd ask. I've been mainly a musical actor, myself. I turned Equity because of it. And Canada's ACTRA for film and television. But I withdrew from it all in the 1980s. The money (back then) was in Eastern Canada, and I had a relationship to nurture and enjoy, Vancouver. Now it's 45 years later, and we haven't killed each other yet, ha ha.

^ I truly envy where you are living. I have had the good fortune to visit New York four times, and I experienced some very awesome original first time productions, such as A Chorus Line (twice!), Chicago, Pacific Overtures, Pippin, Evita, Annie, Cats, Into The Woods, Dreamgirls, Little Shop of Horrors, Nine, Sweeney Todd...the list goes on and on.

But I haven't been back to New York since the late 80s. Timing and money, mainly. But that's okay. I still collect the CDs and follow the websites for Broadway info. And I am definitely curious, if there's anybody I know from my past, who's coming to see this FOLLIES, as well as we are. Intrigue!

By the way, did you ever consider doing straight plays for Broadway? Sometimes the world thinks all we go on and on and on about are the musicals. Not so, of course. And there are some definite amazing plays to be seen and a part of. Just thought I'd ask. I've been mainly a musical actor, myself. I turned Equity because of it. And Canada's ACTRA for film and television. But I withdrew from it all in the 1980s. The money (back then) was in Eastern Canada, and I had a relationship to nurture and enjoy, Vancouver. Now it's 45 years later, and we haven't killed each other yet, ha ha.

NW - You've sure seen some great shows! (I must admit a special passion for A Chorus Line!...and I DO have real fondness for some of the shows of Broadway's "Golden Age" - King & I; Carousel, etc....those musical scores were hauntingly beautiful. (I found via research a 1950's NY Times theater page, and there were literally 50 or so award-winning shows to choose from. What a feast!)

In answer to your question, like you, I'm a member of AEA, SAG & AFTRA (now merged with SAG). But my work has been Off-Broadway and tours - straight plays such as (& here I'm aging myself! ) Barefoot in the Park, Butterflies Are Free, etc. Also did some film bits. Those were great times, but there just are just so few straight shows being produced these days. I miss it, but like you, I follow the theater to see what's up (and play my CDs). Too bad ticket prices have hit the stratosphere!!!

I've been to Vancouver only once - on my way to skiing at Whistler/Blackcomb. What a lovely part of the country - must be an ideal city to set roots! I truly adore NYC....though it's occasionally frustrating not having a car. (I am 'theme-park deprived.')

P.S. One of my favorite theater experiences was seeing Elaine Stritch on Broadway in her one-woman show, At Liberty! (She stayed backstage afterwards to talk to those of us who wanted to say "Congratulations!") She was one AMAZING lady!

Earlier today I got back from seeing "Tuck Everlasting" at San Diego Junior Theatre, which was an altogether amazing performance. The cast was all made up of kids, the leads were almost all in high school, whereas the ensemble ranged from elementary to high school. Taking into consideration the ages, this was a spectacular show. The subject matter in the show is very deep, and thought-provoking and all of the themes were expressed clearly as was the morale of the story. The sets were pretty good, nothing spectacular, but they had a fully climbable tree made mostly out of spray-painted pool noodles, which was pretty impressive . The costumes and wigs were amazing and very detailed. Unfortunitually, the fake mustaches were not too durable, as seen by one poor character during his comedic duet, when his mustache started falling off and he was doing everything he could to get it back on. That was the most the audience laughed the whole time. The ensemble was amazing! All the harmonies were crisp and clear, and the dancing was just about as good as amateur performing goes. The one complaint I would have was one of the leads, who was an amazing actor but had some trouble with his singing matching the time period. The show is set in the 1890s, but his singing was very whiny/pop-y, like the kind of singing pop stars use. In some songs, it would just abolish the mood. Afterwards, there was a meet-and-greet where I got to meet some of the characters, who were all very nice and appreciative of my compliments. Altogether it was a spectacular experience!

AF1QipMd43jGyCY4e2G_KbrOxCrP-M7LaDLfT_OgO8N4

AF1QipMSYluLaCX-XhiLUb9eHZKDKJhBX6wmP3KEwduu

^ Awesome to see Stritch! Let's see. Many many thrills. For myself it was....

Chita Rivera & Gwen Verdon AND Jerry Orbach in original "Chicago."

Richard Burton in EQUUS, before he did the movie of it.

George C.Scott in (speaking of revivals) Coward's "Present Laughter."

Lansbury and Cariou in the original "Sweeney Todd". And on and on.

The thrill of seeing television and film actors LIVE in anything, was

always the thrill for me, going to New York. And of course Brdway

legends too, like Peters in first company of "Into The Woods."

I had great timing in seeing amazing productions there, LOL!

NINE_AnitaMorris.jpg.719e2531f570296643da2e1c2b47a57f.jpg

Got to see the awesome Anita Morris (RIP) in original

company of NINE, too. And the original DREAMGIRLS!

^ Awesome to see Stritch! Let's see. Many many thrills. For myself it was....

Chita Rivera & Gwen Verdon AND Jerry Orbach in original "Chicago."

Richard Burton in EQUUS, before he did the movie of it.

George C.Scott in (speaking of revivals) Coward's "Present Laughter."

Lansbury and Cariou in the original "Sweeney Todd". And on and on.

The thrill of seeing television and film actors LIVE in anything, was

always the thrill for me, going to New York. And of course Brdway

legends too, like Peters in first company of "Into The Woods."

I had great timing in seeing amazing productions there, LOL!

NW,

Whoa! You've had some of the BEST Broadway thrills, ever. What a coup getting to see so many legends! So many of my faves. I really applaud you for all you've seen! You made me remember stuff I'd almost forgotten about. Being a kid growing up near to Bdway, I realize now how lucky I was to see some of the classics (and performers like Zero Mostel, Robert Morse, Julie Andrews (& her amazing Camelot co-stars). One of my luckiest "breaks" (as a performer) was getting an theatrical callback from John Dexter directing EQUUS - but alas NO! I didn't get the part (OR meet Richard Burton!).

It's fun to recall and to share with you your similar theater/film/TV memories. My funniest memory - moving to the realm of TV - was finding myself in a Madison Ave. dressing room boutique with Marlo Thomas. I loved her in That Girl, and, at the time (years ago!), looked a bit like her which got me into some nice auditions. ANYWAY, there I was, trying on stuff and, a few feet away, Marlo was trying on nightgowns!! I couldn't decide whether to say anything (and risk being 'uncool'), but decided I'd kick myself if I ignored this opportunity....so as I left the dressing room, I just made a quick comment thanking her for her dedication to feminism, telling her how much I enjoyed her work as an actor, and welcoming her to NYC - she'd just relocated to NY. (She was very polite and graciously thanked me.) My twin sister, Lynn, always laughs at that story and says, "WELL! I bumped - literally - into Lauren Bacall - in our neighborhood, and Ms Bacall apologized profusely to me to for "not paying attention and walking into me." LOLOL!)

Thanks, NW, for sharing your love of performing and performers. (Hey! Maybe someday we'll be ole folk in a nursing home, perusing our "scrapbooks," together. )

Alice

...and speaking of Patti LuPone. Damn, I'm thinking of her and that she'll be okay, after this upcoming hip operation. "War Paint" is closing early for that. Awesome performer. I saw her LIVE in her original role, EVITA back in the fall of 1980 (after seeing Sweeney Todd, hah)!. Then it's 1989, and I'm seeing her in "Anything Goes" as Reno Sweeney! Things happen to me in 3's, so I am well "overdue" for another LuPone encounter, hahah. But I haven't listened to the two-CD LIVE concert she did, where she lives, with a high school choir (she went to, yet. And it's CURRENT (taped in Jan), so the dialogue should be nice and ....diplomatic. Looking forward to listening to it. Wish there was a Blue Ray DVD of it.

I would have killed and ripped dolls to shreds for tickets to WP, with her and Ebersole in it, truth!

I could imagine them doing a musical thriller... "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?"..... freeeeek!

And (EEE) being able/worked out, to switch roles for alternating performances. And the Cast CD

recording, would be two CDs: Baby Jane ~ Ebersole on one; and Baby Jane ~ LuPone on the other.

PattiLuPone02.jpg.57975e40d6fb8eab7fad7b0a4661cd81.jpg

Our Patti as a redhead! "Anything Goes." Off the TONYS telecast. (She didn't win )

...and speaking of Patti LuPone. Damn, I'm thinking of her and that she'll be okay, after this upcoming hip operation. "War Paint" is closing early for that. Awesome performer. I saw her LIVE in her original role, EVITA back in the fall of 1980 (after seeing Sweeney Todd, hah)!. Then it's 1989, and I'm seeing her in "Anything Goes" as Reno Sweeney! Things happen to me in 3's, so I am well "overdue" for another LuPone encounter, hahah. But I haven't listened to the two-CD LIVE concert she did, where she lives, with a high school choir (she went to, yet. And it's CURRENT (taped in Jan), so the dialogue should be nice and ....diplomatic. Looking forward to listening to it. Wish there was a Blue Ray DVD of it.

I would have killed and ripped dolls to shreds for tickets to WP, with her and Ebersole in it, truth!

I could imagine them doing a musical thriller... "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?"..... freeeeek!

And (EEE) being able/worked out, to switch roles for alternating performances. And the Cast CD

recording, would be two CDs: Baby Jane ~ Ebersole on one; and Baby Jane ~ LuPone on the other.

Patti LuPone! Another legend! And you saw her in the original EVITA!?!? You're killing me! Did you happen to see on television a few years ago, LuPone teaching a group of young actor/singers? She was an amazing instructor! She totally 'got thru' to her students, and you could see their transformation in just a day of incorporating her special tips.

As for a musical thriller - "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" LuPone's (or Ebersole's) 'hit song' would HAVE to be: "But Ya ARE, Blanche, Ya ARE!" (And if Disney produced it...lol...'REMI' could be 'on the plate!') Nooooo, not my sweet Remi!

P.S. I hear that hip surgery is so much improved these days, so I'm hoping she'll be bouncing back SOON.

Alice

^ on your take of "Baby Jane?", hee hee. Poor Remi. And no, I hadn't seen that of her teaching, on television. Will look for it, and check it out, thanks.

Well, you already probably know, that she's supposedly NOT quite retired yet. Heading over to London to do newly-revised version of COMPANY. And the lead is now named...Bobbie ...yes that's right, a female lead! Which led me to ask how all the "genders" in Steve's score AND the book are all going to be approached? Or changed altogether?

I mean:

"Have I Got A Girl For You"

"You Could Drive A person Crazy" (male doo-wop trio?)

"Poor Baby"

Or is Bobbie to be a lesbian in this production? Would be interesting if she was.

After reading the article below, I tend to think that she won't be. That's cool.

By the way, Patti is playing Joanne, with that killer number, "Ladies Who Lunch".

I keep replaying the vid with her doing it on the Sondheim 80th Birthday Concert.

She is so awesome!

Found a great article about the show here: https://www.londontheatre.co.uk/show/company

CompanyLondon.jpg.95f045cc25b7ca420843673d873e9944.jpg

And there better be a first class Original Cast CD and/or DVD of this production, damnit! (o;

...and just to freek other people out here....

Back in the Spring of 1976 ~ my very first visit to New York ~ TOP TICKET PRICE for a Center Orch Seat was (are you ready?).......$30 U.S.

And that's how I was able to see the original cast of "A Chorus Line" twice. Once from Orchestra,

the other from Center Front Row Mezzanine, for all those Michael Bennett patterns!

And TKTS was just starting up in Times Square back then. So there were wonderful prices

for single tickets for a lot of shows, musical or drama, Off-Broadway too!

NW, Am happily astonished to hear your news that COMPANY is being revised in London... with a gender-change in the lead!! Boy, you REALLY are on top of all that is going on in theater! With LuPone and Craig , tickets probably won't be available for DECADES!!! Like you, I'm curious as to how they will be handling 'gender' in the songs. Thanks for the article. I will definitely be following this production. (Hopefully, a book is already in the works!)

By the way, speaking of "Ladies Who Lunch," (my fave number), did you see the old documentary of Elaine Stritch desperately trying to get the song recorded for the album in a NY studio in 1970? What a classic bit of 'backstage frolic!" That's one of my top documentaries, but I saw it ages ago and don't remember where/when/how I saw it. I know that You Tube has 'some' of it, but not the entire 'misadventure.' Maybe it was on the original album CD??? A most INCREDIBLE glimpse of the one and only Stritch!

TKTS, by the way, is still alive and well - though no more "A Chorus Line" for thirty dollars!! Can't believe you saw the original TWICE! I saw many of the original cast, but don't remember what the heck I paid. Life was good! (Though roller coasters weren't yet 'in their prime.")

Alice

^ They made an actual "document" of the cast recording of COMPANY back in 1970. I have it in VHS, but never checked whether it's now in DVD or not. And yes, Stritch apparently went through a huge amount of retakes for "Ladies Who Lunch." By her own choice it was said. Sondheim didn't suggest any retake. He was happy with the first one or two, lol! They did the same kind of "documentary" recording, with the cast of "The Producers" when they recorded their cast album. I don't have that one, but know about it.

P.S. I looked around, and actually found it for sale, as a DVD, at Amazon.com ~ but.....for $54!

Here: https://www.amazon.com/Original-Cast-Album-Charles-Braswell/dp/B00004YKS8/ref=sr_1_15?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1510185844&sr=1-15&keywords=musicals%2C+company

IMG_5742.JPG.4591aff03b1b89904db3391642756f2d.JPG

Found it! Here's my VHS recording of the "Company" recording session.

CompanyDVD.jpg.8635c779f096b30c8974c9ea3cb4af4c.jpg

The DVD of the recording session.

Just discovered! I've known of this eventually happening for some time.

But still, it'll be a thrill once "He" stomps back into New York City!

Scheduled for a Fall 2018 Opening.

KingKong2018a.jpg.5eb1c0b09e7fcb5c6404f5b7f2316f02.jpg

He's ba-a-a-a-ack. And not just at Universal/Orlando. He's in a Broadway Musical, too!

^ They made an actual "document" of the cast recording of COMPANY back in 1970. I have it in VHS, but never checked whether it's now in DVD or not. And yes, Stritch apparently went through a huge amount of retakes for "Ladies Who Lunch." By her own choice it was said. Sondheim didn't suggest any retake. He was happy with the first one or two, lol! They did the same kind of "documentary" recording, with the cast of "The Producers" when they recorded their cast album. I don't have that one, but know about it.

P.S. I looked around, and actually found it for sale, as a DVD, at Amazon.com ~ but.....for $54!

Here: https://www.amazon.com/Original-Cast-Album-Charles-Braswell/dp/B00004YKS8/ref=sr_1_15?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1510185844&sr=1-15&keywords=musicals%2C+company

Ah YES! Now I remember - I saw the old VHS documentary of the 1970 cast recording of COMPANY!! I'd rented it from the NY Library. Thanks so much for your research and finding the current Amazon DVD. I may wait a tad later till it slips down a bit in price....but it's great to know where I can find it! I am soooooo tempted.

P.S. KING KONG, the musical! Oh, yes! (He was my first furry love, before Remi!)

Alice

Finally! The individual numbers are available now online (at Amazon.com), and then in CD form beginning of December.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunday-Park-George-Broadway-Recording/dp/B076TVR2LC/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1510367186&sr=8-1

sundayinthepark2017.jpg.3a249557fbec5921b6875925497a180b.jpg

December 8th release date, for the 2-CD set. And I ordered it, already! (o:

Finally! The individual numbers are available now online (at Amazon.com), and then in CD form beginning of December.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunday-Park-George-Broadway-Recording/dp/B076TVR2LC/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1510367186&sr=8-1

Thanks! I always appreciate an "NW theater/music alert!"

Alice

Final reminder before the first broadcast airs....

~ FOLLIES ~

Synopsis

Stephen Sondheim’s legendary musical is staged for the first time at the National Theatre and broadcast live to cinemas. New York, 1971. There’s a party on the stage of the Weismann Theatre. Tomorrow the iconic building will be demolished. Thirty years after their final performance, the Follies girls gather to have a few drinks, sing a few songs and lie about themselves. Tracie Bennett, Janie Dee and Imelda Staunton play the magnificent Follies in this dazzling new production. Featuring a cast of 37 and an orchestra of 21, it’s directed by Dominic Cooke (The Comedy of Errors). Winner of Academy, Tony, Grammy and Olivier awards, Sondheim’s previous work includes A Little Night Music, Sweeney Todd and Sunday in the Park with George.

First broadcast, this coming week, on Nov.16 - then repeat broadcasts on Nov.29 and January 20, 2018.

Follies2017.jpg.4935c00b9ea279e75561ee932954a8e9.jpg

Follies04.jpg.f685f7b648d23ee7d5986f52e1ed139d.jpg

From the original Broadway production of FOLLIES, 1971.

Follies2011c.jpg.77205e4a8549389f5900555780957ced.jpg

From the 2011 Broadway Revival of FOLLIES.

"Jersey Boys" was AWE - SOME!!!!!! (last night's performance) The entire audience couldn't get enough of it. All of the actors were wonderful and awesome singers. Everybody, from the leads to the smaller parts were just 'on' from beginning to end.

And, we couldn't get on our feet fast enough, when the curtain came down, lol! And there were a few spots in the production itself, where the audience wouldn't stop applauding the finished number, either from "Valli" and/or "The Four Seasons." It was surreal. It was true theatre and appreciation of the actor(s), both at once. The last time this happened, was (believe it) when we saw "Sound of Music" and the song "Climb Every Mountain" ended the first act magnificently. I know a bunch of the audience (including me) wanted to stand right there, before the curtain came down for intermission, and let the actress know We Loved Her!

And tonight, it's FOLLIES by the National Theatre in London, broadcast "live". I forgive the use of the word "live". But it's the entire stage production, and not a concert of it thankfully, which has never been filmed before. Let alone broadcast to a theatre on the big screen!

And now, I just received my copy of a new musical, currently playing in Toronto...Bat out of Hell. Yes, that "Bat Out of Hell." Meat Loaf. What I found out was, this album was originally conceived and created, with intention for it to go on stage! Truth! But time went by, and the idea just languished around, until a couple of years ago. And now it's playing in Canada, LOL! Could it be heading to Broadway? Nobody's saying anything about that.

Yet.

IMG_5748.JPG.9f57babce2610a0e9ab0bef202c2615a.JPG

2 CD set. Can't wait to listen to it! (o:

And tonight, it's FOLLIES by the National Theatre in London, broadcast "live". I forgive the use of the word "live". But it's the entire stage production, and not a concert of it thankfully, which has never been filmed before. Let alone broadcast to a theatre on the big screen!

HOW WAS FOLLIES (ala National Theatre in London)???!!!! Astonishing, I'm sure, but we need "NW reviews!"

Alice

^ Well, since the broadcast night, I have avoided this. But.....

Forty minutes after the start of it, "something happened" and the screen suddenly lit up with the CINEPLEX logo!

This happened right before "Broadway Baby." The audience freaked. Then it came back on, backed up a bit, but

now the sound was gone, and all you could hear was un-miked dialogue. The orchestra was still miked, so they came

through clear. But as far as any dialogue or singing from the stage....nuthin'.

Funny part was, as it was still running, a lot of us in the audience started singing "Broadway Baby" to it's end. There was

laughing here and there during the number, but we all knew something serious had happened.

But the damage had been done. A staff member came to the front of the screen and told us the "sattelite connection

got screwed up" (her words). Our only option was to stick around and see what happens (this was on Thurs.night), or get

a free ticket to another screening of anything - even another event screening.

Pretty much all of the audience (including us) chose to leave and take the replacement ticket.

So we never got to see "the transformation into Loveland", or "Who's That Woman?" etc. Everybody was angry but

nobody was getting out of control about it. I sure wanted to hit something.

There is two more showings of it on the same day (12:30 and 6:30), but not till near the and of January (20th)!

So, we're thinking of sticking it out, wait for that date, and then (hopefully) see it again, without that problem.

This also happened on the East Coast we were told so....anybody there experience it like we did? Anybody?

So ---- the first forty minutes looked very promising, LOL! The huge set piece (a two sided wall) is on a major turntable,

the orchestra is upstage behind it, and 'ghosts' of the Weismann shows kept wandering through all the party. Very effective.

That's all I got...for this review, for now.

Edited by Nrthwnd

^ Well, since the broadcast night, I have avoided this. But.....

.....................................Pretty much all of the audience (including us) chose to leave and take the replacement ticket.

So we never got to see "the transformation into Loveland", or "Who's That Woman?" etc. Everybody was angry but

nobody was getting out of control about it. I sure wanted to hit something.

There is two more showings of it on the same day (2:30 and 6:30), but not till near the and of January (20th)!

So, we're thinking of sticking it out, wait for that date, and then (hopefully) see it again, without that problem.

This also happened on the East Coast we were told so....anybody there experience it like we did? Anybody?

So ---- the first forty minutes looked very promising, LOL! The huge set piece (a two sided wall) is on a major turntable,

the orchestra is upstage behind it, and 'ghosts' of the Weisman shows kept wandering through all the party. Very effective.

That's all I got...for this review, for now.

OHH NOOOOOOO, Mr. Bill! New technology is great ---- until it is NOT! I'm SO sorry this special event went from 'dazzling to disintegrating' for you. I think it makes sense to wait to see it till January.....time seems to go fast, especially around the holidays. I've been searching to see if the East Coast experienced satellite problems, but so far I haven't found any articles. The times and theatres in NY in which I wanted to see this event have been sold out.....so I'm waiting to see if they add or change any of the showings. The clips I've seen online look amazing.

I'm really sorry that this all got so screwed up....but I hope you make it to a January showing. I know how much you were looking forward to this unique FOLLIES, and I can't believe that such a major innovative event went so wrong. (A sign of "these times," I suppose!!!!)

Alice