TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Movies, Movies, Movies.....

robbalvey

I just came back from watching Dunkirk, and I'm sooooooo torn on this. The movie has great visuals, amazing soundtrack, acting is mostly good and the aerial fighting left me with goosebumps. Some parts were really intense and claustrophobic But the editing of this movie is so messy! I'm not going to go into details to not spoil it for anyone wanting to see the movie, but for me it got to a point where it just became annoying.

I agree. The editing really did stand out as bad in this movie, and I usually never notice anything like that.

The editing left the story unfocused and very little context of the film was ever given other than that all these guys are on a beach during wartime waiting for evacuation. I also saw it in a theater with terrible sound quality so that sucked. But yes, the cinematography was gorgeous. As much as I drink the Nolan kool-aid (Dark Knight all the way!), Dunkirk was a major let down.

Just watched The Belko Experiment.

I thought it was a decent movie. I love the pure savageness of it.

Me too! I was kind of shocked by how "turnt" up the violence got in a few scenes. Not bad shocked, just taken by surprise. I really enjoyed it.

I went to see The Emoji Movie yesterday.

That's all I have to say.

Funniest thing I heard the other day, as I was heading to another movie in the cineplex, they had just

let out the audience for TEM. A kid with her mother exclaimed, "That's my best new favourite movie!"

The mother I could hear sighing. Then she said...."No. No it isn't."

I went to see The Emoji Movie yesterday.

That's all I have to say.

Funniest thing I heard the other day, as I was heading to another movie in the cineplex, they had just

let out the audience for TEM. A kid with her mother exclaimed, "That's my best new favourite movie!"

The mother I could hear sighing. Then she said...."No. No it isn't."

I still want to know the pitch they used to recruit Patrick Stewart to voice the poop emoji.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone else pumped for it. Bout time they got around to making a good version of it.

I thought the original was one of the best movies of the 90's. Tim Curry is an icon.

But yeah, super duper hyped to see the film. Looks awesome in the trailers, and from the reviews I've seen, I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Anyone else pumped for it. Bout time they got around to making a good version of it.

I thought the original was one of the best movies of the 90's. Tim Curry is an icon.

But yeah, super duper hyped to see the film. Looks awesome in the trailers, and from the reviews I've seen, I hope it doesn't disappoint.

that was a TV miniseries.

this is the film adaptation.

and VERY well done. beautifully photographed (cinematography is gorgeous), PERFECTLY cast. . every single kid is a great actor, and just exactly correct.

most of the scares hit, and other than one practical effect (that I thought was silly rather than scary), the whole thing works.

and contains several "jump-scares" that had the whole (sold out) audience jumping!

recommended.

Went and saw It this weekend with my husband, who is terrified of clowns. I told him he didn't have to go with me and that I was fine to go by myself. He felt "duty bound" LOL. Needless to say, he watched a big chunk of it through his fingers.

I really, really enjoyed it. It captured the theme of friendship and the loss of innocence from the book, and Bill Scarsgard's Pennywise was truly horrific (Tim Curry is still my favorite though, just because.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thor: Ragnarok Review

I will try to do this without many (if at all) spoilers for the film. First of all, I really liked this movie *A LOT!* As someone who wasn't a huge fan of the original two Thor films, Thor: Ragnarok was a complete departure from those. The original two movies were much more "dry" but this film brings the Thor stand-alone franchise more in line with the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's funny, it's witty, full of crazy action, but most of all it's super fun!

I'm a fan of just about every character in this film. Thor and Loki are fantastic once again as the "brothers who constantly fight like they are still ten years old" and I love that Bruce Banner/Hulk are in this movie as well. I love Banner's dry wit and he has some fantastic one-liners in this film. Mark Ruffalo plays him so well! New to the team is Valkrie, which is a wonderful strong female character (the world needs more like her!) and "Korg," a gladiator who becomes friends with Thor that, while a minor character, steals the scene every time he's on screen!

I think the only character I wasn't super fond of was Jeff Goldblum's Grand Master character. He felt a little awkward as he's a "leader" of sorts, but with all these strange insecurities. Not that I minded him, but I actually really like Jeff Goldblum and I was hoping his character would be a bit more likable.

I'm also a fan of introducing other members of the Marvel Cinematic Universe crossing over into all these films. It really does help tie them all together. As I mentioned before, Hulk/Banner was a wonderful addition, but I can't help but thinking that Doctor Strange being in the movie seemed a bit out of place. He was just kind of there...and then he wasn't. But it didn't take away from the movie at all, so that was fine as well.

In a way, the movie ends up feeling more like a "Guardians" film because by the end of it, you wind up with four characters who you kind of didn't expect to end up working together as a team towards a common goal. I actually thought the movie was just as funny and overall "fun" as a Guardians movie as well.

I'm not sure exactly what my expectations were going into it, other than I felt that the Thor stand-alone films up until this point were my least favorite of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but now, after seeing Ragnarok, I can't wait until the next one! We highly recommend it! Be sure to go out and see it!

Here's the official trailer and some stills from the movie:

6efba9b0e336f748410100dd500c6f66.jpg.3c586416ce99c925a09b17d2b4fbf645.jpg

hot-toys-thor-ragnarok-surtur-header-1012279-1280x0.thumb.jpg.60830896775615b44504bfeb612416bb.jpg

tessa-thompson-thor-ragnarok.thumb.jpg.d70d749d76cb9350348de7a9e2cbf071.jpg

thor-ragnarok-images-chris-hemsworth-tom-hiddleston.thumb.jpg.728c949c7151fcc1efd6c74efa91389a.jpg

thor-ragnarok-tessa-thompson-image-2.thumb.jpg.28b96c9a49cac0dbe5e3a067403895b8.jpg

thor.thumb.jpg.3f4c79355d3d6078328732d852d3d497.jpg

thorragnarok-hulk-gladiator2.thumb.jpg.5bcf1efe567ec730a3c261fc8894d854.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

I can’t believe you didn’t mention Matt Damon!

Also, Korg is played by the director, Taika Waititi, And is a definite presence. He also pokes fun at Fantastic 4 when introduced.

Maybe I should start doing reviews. I haven’t been able to talk about the movie for almost 2 weeks.

I'm not a big Thor fan either, but this movie looks pretty entertaining.

I'm right there with y'all in not being a Thor fan.

but this film SEEMS to be mainly an adaptation of "Planet Hulk" comic book arc from the "Incredible Hulk" comic - tho the set up to get him out of Asgard and to the war planet is all Thor.

but as a Hulk fan? yeah, I wanna see this

I've seen Thor Ragnarok and while I do agree a lot with Robb there are some opinion's left.

Korg was great, jokes he made where the best in the movie, but he was in for two scene's too long if you ask me. Those two scene's Korg actually ruined in my opinion I'd rather had it soak in then to brush over it.

And I actually did enjoy the Doctor Strange cameo. I'm someone who watches the MCU as the larger story not individual chapters, So seeing the diffrence to where we left him at the end of the Doctor Srange movie and his buisy keeping, wich is the reason he and Thor meet, really felt rewarding as long time MCU watcher. It also sets up a relationship with Thor for Infinity war. It made sens to me, more then Captain Armerica taking SHIELD down basicly alone.

I realize these cameo's might cost some money, But it helps making it all feel more connected.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Justice League yesterday night.

I was surprised by the movie. It's not my favorite DCEU movie so far Wonder Woman holds that spot But ranking the movies in points now for me its:

1. Wonder Woman (7)

2. Justice League (6,5)

3. Man of Steel (5,5)

4. Suicide Squad (4)

5. Batman v Superman (2)

The DCEU has yet to make a great movie in my opinion but the last two movies show me that they're getting there. I'm happy that what BvS suffered in my opinion, what was over stuffing, was not in Justice League. Wonder Woman had Ares that ruined mostly the final act, for the rest WW was a big step up. JL also started out very strong, some minor gripes and quick lazy things here and there, but it was the way they used "him" that bugged the hell out of me.

I know it's forbidden but I'm bringing Marvel in the mix. The first MCU movie I fully watched was the Avengers, and what I had with both JL and the Avengers movie was that they both can serve as a starting point filling you in on all the gaps you need to know. But both have references that get explain in other movies and there is the difference, Marvel already had those stories, after watching Iron man 1 and 2, the Hulk, Thor and Captain America the movie was much better. The DCEU doesn't have all those stories what made if feel wrong to reference in a cinematic universe. Some characters could have been anybody else, but if we had Aquaman already as an example, that red haired girl was "her" and not that red haired girl (I know who she meant to be but I still stand behind my opinion). Also the main plot device could have been referenced in previous installments, informing long time viewers that it's bad news. Going back to Marvel on this 4/5 movies before the Avengers all gave something more to the Avengers then except the main title hero. Jl gave all the information to us in this movie and few was to be taken to the next. Avengers felt like a checkpoint in the MCU the first step complete in a larger universe, JL was the first finish to it's own start.

To collect, The movie is okay, not great had a lot to take me out of it. The DCEU still doesn't work like it could but the worst parts get phased out of it.