TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tattoos

Twister II

Recently, I've been like really wanting to get a tattoo.

Then again, I have concerns.

I would want a tribal shark (or something like it) on my shoulder blade or shoulder, of completely black ink, no shadowing. Probably 3 or 2 inches by 3 or 2 inches. Something that looks similar to this: http://www.isidore-of-seville.com/thumbnail/hammerhead_1665.jpg

Some may ask simply, why? Since only 3 years old, I've been swimming. I joined club swimming at 6 years old, and have continued with it all the way up to now, almost 10 years later. Its to remember my times threw the tough, wins, loses, victories, and defeats.

Id like to know:

1. Pain level of your tattoo, 1 to 10, 10 being the worst pain possible.

2. How long did it take? To outline? To fill in? To completely heal?

3. Is there anything to numb the area, before getting stabbed to death?

4. Are you happy with your results? Regrets?

5. Cost?

6. How do I know the right place to get it?

7. Did you have any excessive redness/infections/irritation?

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.Pain level 4-5 because it is on the shoulder blade so thats very close to surface of skin the bone.

2. Outline 10 minutes, color 35 minutes.

3. They recommend you not take any pain killers. Its not worth numbing it doesn't hurt .

4. I don't regret it . Its my passion, Disney!

5. Cost for mine was $85. it all depends on the artist. The Tattoo size, color, and labor cost come into play but your idea may be between 50-100.

6. Simple don't go near the elbow, inner wrist or shin they hurt . Shoulder and chest don't hurt as bad. There is a small pain factor yes but not that bad.

7. Its red for about an hour or 2, but it generally goes away after a while.

8. You will be instructed after its done what to not do such as swim, or let the sun get to it for 2 weeks etc.

Its a cool experience , trust me and one you won't forget cause they are addicting .

The pain level changes with the area you put it on.

My shoulders and sides of my arms were no problem.

My calf was a different story. It was dificult to finish it in one sitting.

Bigger pieces round 6" long and 3 to 6 inches wide can take 3 to 8 hours if you do it in one sitting and can cost three to six hundred dollars.

It is all relavent to how much detail, color and shading.

Ok, here are mines.

This piece on my right calf is original. I liked Tonya's artwork and asked her to do an original piece for me. She did four different rough scetches and out of those four, I liked this one the best.

She called it a piece of jewelry

Next up. The tiger. Belonged to my deceased partner. While going through his files I came across the trace for it and decided to install it on myself so it could live on for a while longer. It was an original drawing done by a popular artist in San Diego. My partner had the tail wrapped around his arm. I never did like that though so I had the tail redrawn to a normal length.

Next is DAGO. Thats a derogatory term for an Italian if you didn't know. Not including the stencil this was done freehand directly on me. Now thats scary.

Bella Luna.

As I described what I wanted to Tanya, she sketched. We discussed it a lot afterwards and a week later it was installed.

Next is Kandinsky.

The Kandinsky boat was in the artist's book that they had done on someone. I expressed an interest in the boat but had to have original work added to it and tie it into bella luna to make it mine. It was done in a sureal type of drawing. This is what it became.

Last and certainly least. With no explanation.

I've got 2 so far with a third coming probably this Spring. The one I got near my shoulder blade didn't really hurt too bad, I'd say about a 5. Eventually, after the first 100 pokes, you really don't feel much, just numbness. The sound is kinda annoying. Total time to do it all was about 3 hours, stopping to take a soda break after outlining. I have no regrets at all about getting it. I was 18 at the time, and think I picked a good place to get it done. Being professional, you don't see my tattoo there, unless I'm shirtless, which really only happens at a waterpark or the beach. That one cost me about $180 I think. The redness lasted for about 3 days, but there was no infection.

The second tattoo I got the day my best friend (my turtle) died last February. The pain this time was less, probably about a 3 or 4. Total work time was about an hour, and again the location is good for my profession, though this is visible when I wear shorts. Redness lasted about a day, though there was scabbing, and I had to put lotion on it a lot for about 3 weeks (getting it done in the winter is harder because of dry skin). This one cost about $100.

tattoo1.jpg.a2c3f223366c5ea61c70e7de4f7c0b85.jpg

My memorial to Lily. The Japanese characters mean "friendship" (I hope!)

tattoo2.jpg.9a0da8d794138a5aa10f776713e668ff.jpg

My tribal turtle, catching a wave

• 5 months later...

LOL! I can finally belong to your's guy's club! I went out and got a Pineapple and a Torch on my leg.

It was my first tattoo(s) but I've been wanting to get some for a while. I friend of mine does them now so I went down to his shop and he hooked it up.

His shop has this thing called "Get what you get", basically you pay them $40 and draw a scrap of paper out of a box and "Get what you get"! It could be fresh, it could be stale! I got a torch and my homie drew it up.

I went in for a Pineapple and came out with two things, tattoo's are awesome!!

DSC08710.JPG.4d750ecc1dd3dacad1f4e99d6818473f.JPG

This one is on the same leg, just around the corner from the awesome pineapple.

DSC08707.JPG.8733a6a1dda2a36538e9b3d51e45d01a.JPG

I got this awesome Pineapple on the back of my leg yesterday.

I personally don't have tattoos, but knows plenty of people who do and have basically asked the same qustions.

1. Pain level of your tattoo, 1 to 10, 10 being the worst pain possible.

THis really depends on your pain tolerance. I have friends who say they actually like the feeling of getting tattoos. Other people may think it's the most painful thing in the world. Really, if you're going to dedicate a portion of your body to a tattoo, it should be worth the pain it will take because it should mean something to you.

2. How long did it take? To outline? To fill in? To completely heal?

For a tattoo like the one you describe, that shouldn't take very long. My friend Olivia got a small ohm symbol on her neck and said the actual tattoo didn't even take an hour. It all depends on the intircacy of the design. To heal completely for that smal of a tatoo shouldn't take very long. I know Olivia stopped lotioning hers about a week afterwards and it looks fine.

3. Is there anything to numb the area, before getting stabbed to death?

I've never heard of being numbed. My step-dad descrivbed it as getting scratched on a sun burn, and while that hurts, it's not bad enough that you couldn't stand it.

4. Are you happy with your results? Regrets?

Once again, personal thing.

5. Cost?

I think Olivia's cost 20-40? I can't remember. I jut keep referencing hers because it's about the same size, about 3x3.

6. How do I know the right place to get it?

That's another personal thing. Obviously a place where you're comfortable somebody seeing long enough to put it there. Somewhere where you think it looks well positioned. I Mean really, for that small, you could honestly just print out a picture and start moving it around to see where tyou'd like it.

7. Did you have any excessive redness/infections/irritation?

If the needle is clean and sterile, you 8shouldn't* get anything excessive beyond the typical bit of red ness there will be from getting punctured thousands of times with a needle.

Since I'm an 'expert' now and all, lol;

My step-dad descrivbed it as getting scratched on a sun burn, and while that hurts, it's not bad enough that you couldn't stand it.

That's almost exactly what it felt like. It was weird, some parts almost felt good while other parts totally killed! The top of my pineapple right behind my knee really sucked. Right know it just feels like a sunburn.

Really, if you're going to dedicate a portion of your body to a tattoo, it should be worth the pain it will take because it should mean something to you.

I think that's more of a presonal thing. For me, I don't want a tattoo that represents something or has any kind of meaning at all. Still, people get their kids names, drug references, sports logos, ect... In my opinion it looks kinda trashy. Instead of getting an angel or a court date, I'd rather get a Barbeque or a Lion riding a Go-Kart instead...

If my parents had my name tattoo'd on them I'd be hating it!!

Still, it's fun to see what other people have. Please post more pictures and stories!!

-Pineapple Don

Yeah I can see that. I guess Id like my tattoo to "tell a story." Like my friend Kirsten and Lindsery have platypii on them because that's their personal religion.

I guess as long as it reminded me of something. I don't think I'd want to get something because it was "cool" or "cute" because I could wind up growing out of I and not liking it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So Eejanaika was feeling a bit lonely there on my arm so I went down and got a friend installed for it. This hurt so damn bad. Enjoy the pics!!!

-Don

DSC09543.JPG.405cde8320f796ad18ab7b9a4fc4c220.JPG

OMG YES! Tattoo's kick ass!

DSC09534.JPG.a4283d9169a32505e4c0a8e9b2148600.JPG

1-UP!

DSC09533.JPG.445572ace6fbe1ec174733421ea1a291.JPG

BOOM! there ya go!

Torii_resize_1up_color.JPG.7ff89e7447f67ea8b7890be3545ebe23.JPG

Yeah...perfect!

TAJ1131_yeah.JPG.5a3ce216ac99f43da2facb55e30b4415.JPG

This was the general Idea I came up with...but it was missing something...

torii2.jpg.95ce64c7470988a74cc2d9f9fec84ad9.jpg

So I began thinking up stuff that would go well with it.

dsc08978_137.jpg.19430740b02d1a372b1142109abaf0ad.jpg

There he is...all bare and alone.

I absolutely love my tattoo. No regrets what so ever. As for the price... mine was about $70 + tip. The place I went to was awesome and I can't wait to go back and get my next one.

It didn't really hurt at all. It was just mostly irritating. The only part that hurt was the fill on one of the stars because it was right on the back of one of my ribcage bones.

1671678079_100906_222421.JPG.8d635fd5ca4f02bce9e0d3e014968706.JPG

I didn't want a tramp stmap, so I moved my tattoo up to my bra line. That way when I get married... you still can't see it if I wear a strapless dress.

100906_22241.jpg.948d26f20d8416d9aaf07eaafccd8b4f.jpg

Right after the inking! The stars represent members of my family.