TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Was the Last Beer You Drank?

robbalvey

A friend gave me a bottle of the Game of Thrones Valar Dohaeris Belgian Style Tripel Ale for Christmas (Ommegang Brewery, Cooperstown, NY).

WZmhg.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised. Much better than I'd expected from a TV show tie-in beer.

Tried a few from Kona Brewing. Very basic stuff, it's not bad, but there's really nothing exciting about these beers either. And the Longboard lager had a very strange smell, it almost smells a bit cheese-like. It was not present in the flavor of the beer, but still it's not how I want my beer to smell. I'm wondering if there was something wrong with this bottle, because after half a beer I had to pour out the rest as I could not take that smell any more, although there wasn't really anything wrong with the flavor.

20170103_210354_resized.thumb.jpg.643ff28bf620a86e443e8be0072023de.jpg

20170105_201940_resized.thumb.jpg.62544807f48c4c95f269b4a5d090e1ef.jpg

Revolution is probably the top brewery for me right now. They can do no wrong. Their "Deep Wood" series of barrel aged brews is 2nd to none. I'll take "Very Mad Cow" over any Goose Island barrel aged brew. (And I currently own about 25 bottles of various Goose Island Bourbon County brews, RARE & Proprietors included). Check them out if you swing by SFGAm!

Edited by RaceBoarder

Stone Delicious IPA

I think this is a "gluten-reduced" beer, although I didn't realize that when I bought a bottle. If so, it's noteworthy; if not, it's still quite good, even if it isn't up to the level of their Arrogant Bastard Ale.

Tonights consumption/comfort drinking:

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale 5,6% - love this one!

Ulriken Double IPA 8,5% 100 IBU - fantastic beer, very drinkable despite high ABV/IBU!

Færder Classic Lager 4,7% - didn't particularly like this one.

Hansa Fatøl (lager) 4,7% - from the local mainstream brewery, it's decent for being a "regular beer"...

20170121_005837_resized.thumb.jpg.b7e2a63dfe0d5d39987fd2a22976affc.jpg

Free Verse IPA (Virginia Beer Company)

221301.jpg

This is a decent IPA, but there are better alternatives (such as Stone or Sierra Nevada). I prefer VBC's Wrenish Rye.

Edited by cfc

My two previous beers:

Sam Adams Hopscape (on draft at the Movie Tavern in Williamsburg).

EC0013E822C3405FB8CD228574E63B5A.ashx

If you're looking for a wheat ale with a bit of hoppy bitterness, this is a decent choice. It's a very smooth beer.

Williamsburg Alewerks Vacillator (draft at the Alewerks taproom)

16195182_1464549930230514_5236756886361986656_n.jpg?oh=7891519d7d3ec6742a2386fca2b48a0b&oe=59458EBD

This is Alewerks' first doppelbock, and it's pretty good. I bought a bottle to go, too.

^^ Southern Tier represent - this brewery is less than four miles from my house!

How did you like the beer? I am not into a lot of the fruit flavored beers, but I admit that if you mix the raspberry wheat mixed with a Southern Tier porter, it is quite tasty...tastes like chocolate raspberry.

If you can get both, mix the two and give it a try!

^^ Southern Tier represent - this brewery is less than four miles from my house!

How did you like the beer? I am not into a lot of the fruit flavored beers, but I admit that if you mix the raspberry wheat mixed with a Southern Tier porter, it is quite tasty...tastes like chocolate raspberry.

If you can get both, mix the two and give it a try!

I will try that, it sounds good. I liked the Raspberry White, it was actually sweeter than I expected and would definitely try it again. I definitely love a good wheat beer. I was a huge fan of hard ciders for years (well before they were a thing and on at least one tap in every bar), and while I still like them I find myself going for beers more so now, particularly fruity ones, instead of ciders. I love shandys right now, and that Pineapple is ridiculously easy to drink. With ciders, lately I find myself going for really dry ciders.

We have a great little bottle shop a short walk from my house (we actually have 2, but one is not as good as the other)that I like to hit up weekly and grab a mix of different stuff - certain beers are marked and you can select 6 of them for only $11 - all three of those were part of that mix-a-six. Its a great deal.

Here's a link to the shop I go to and what they have in stock and on tap right now (yes they have growlers and taps). http://www.therichmondshops.com/bottle-shop.html