TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weight Management Support/Enouragement thread

bert425

Well, since it is kind of related... Because it is "health" realted... Today is day number 8 that I have gone without having anything to drink "adult beverage" wise! We use to have 2-4 drinks a night... And now we are down to zero!

I must say that I am sure noticing a difference in how I feel! I feel like I am sleeping better. I am waking up more refreshed, and I have more energy throughout the day!

I know it's only been 8 days... But this is the longest we have gone without having drinks in almost 10 years? The goal is to rule it out completely. Mainly just for health reasons.

I think actually you'd find that it's recommended to have a glass of wine each evening.

as long as you aren't over-doing it, personally, I see no issue with having a drink occasionally. . tho if you choose not to, and you're feeling better? More power to you, and I wish you continued success

personally, i'm a light social drinker.. .I only drink when i go out dancing (that's ~every 3 weeks), and even then it's only 2 drinks (Crown and Coke), just to get me out on the dance floor. I dont' think I've ever been "drunk" on a night out dancing.

According to the scale at home today, I'm down to 246.2; using that scale two weeks ago, I was 247.6. I feel like I've hit some kind of plateau and I'm not sure how to get off it. I've been trying really hard to stick to my new eating habits, and I've done very well with not eating pastas and stuff lately.... and yet I don't seem to be losing very fast now.

I've kept up my daily exercise, so good on that front.

but after 3 weeks of being at the *exact* same weight (187.8lbs), I've had a tough week staying on track in terms of healthy eating.

Nick's Bday was Sunday, so we ended up going out for very heavy Mexican food, as mentioned the other day. Then, of course, there has been Bday cake leftovers (tho been doing pretty good about not eating that).

Last night I wasn't in the mood to cook, and was craving Chinese Buffet, badly. And Nick liked the idea, so we did that Granted, a lot of what I ate was Chicken based, so COULD have been worse, tho there was more fried options than I knew I should have gotten. The sodium will mess up my weight, so likely will hold off until Sunday for weigh in this week.

Hope everyone else is getting back on track with plans? seems a lot of us struggled in early March

as noted above from Thurs, I kinda fell off the wagon, then the wagon went careening off the road. Yeah, 3 weeks of no change, got in my head and messed with me.

yes, I HAVE kept up the exercise, but the week didn't end strong, since Friday night we ended up going out to Red Robin for burgers (so not only red meat, which I tend to avoid, but I also had soda (Dr Pepper) with my burger that also included fried Onion Rings).

*then* on Sat, ended up going out for Indian Buffet for lunch - which while mainly vegetable and chicken, most options were in a heavy sauce made with creams. . so evened out any health benefits.

so yeah, even tho have kept up exercise - walking, and my sit up plan each evening -- I did *not* weigh in this weekend, as I didn't want the sodium/water retention weight to further throw me off my game.

so I'll be weighing in on Wednesday, and hopefully not too much damage was done to my momentum with a week of poor choices. Really hoping won't be bad, as at least I didn't eat poorly, then sit. . . i did my exercises.

Well don't you let him pick on you again lol.

We are all going to get better at fitting in these damn seats. I will one day ride Wicked Twister again.

I will get to ride Grizzly for the first time this summer!

looking forward to it, and I will give the train a symbolic kick to make up for what it did to Boldy

Checking in for the week. I am down another 2lbs. coming in at 266. No cheat meals or anything this past week. I am happy with staying at 2lbs a week. Hopefully next week I officially surpass 20lbs lost.

Good job!

keep it up. . and don't get discouraged (like I did), if/when it slows down a bit. just keep plugging away.

According to the scale at home today, I'm down to 246.2; using that scale two weeks ago, I was 247.6. I feel like I've hit some kind of plateau and I'm not sure how to get off it. I've been trying really hard to stick to my new eating habits, and I've done very well with not eating pastas and stuff lately.... and yet I don't seem to be losing very fast now.

That's almost 1 1/2 lbs in ~2 weeks.

so yeah, not fast, but think of it this way. . . you're trying to drop weight, right? you didn't gain weight that fast, so as long as trending downwards, you are working towards your goals.

if you're sticking to your healthy eating plan and not seeing a lot of movement, maybe try upping your exercise? even as simple as just taking stairs at work?

Proud of you for the 1.4 lbs since your last weigh, don't get discouraged (and I know how easy it can be to get discouraged!)

Anyone have tips about how to minimize diet wrecking while still being able to drink? I.e. which drinks are typically lower cal?

A simple tip I've seen online: go for mixed drinks with diet soda, not with fruit juice. Juice sounds "better for you," but has more calories than diet drinks.

On-topic: it's time for me to start exercising again. I'm starting with the standard minimum of 15 minutes a day. I'm also thinking about easy ways of avoiding empty calories--I think some meal planning will help.

weighed myself Yesterday, and back on track.

even with a week+ of bad choices, I still dropped ~ 1 1/2 lbs since last time.

so yesterday, I was 186.4 lbs. (only ~11.5 lbs over my lowest)

LOL. . so of *COURSE* we went out and had all you can eat Sushi last night

Oh well, at least it's only the sodium in the soy sauce that retains water.. because really did avoid the tempuras and heavy sauces, and stuck mainly with Sashimi & Nigiri (only 1 roll).

Good morning I hope everyone is staying on track and losing like they want. This is a pretty mind blowing day for me. I had been consistently losing 2-3 pounds since we started all of this and this morning when I weighed in I had dropped 7! I am now at 259 and have lost 26 lbs since the last week in January. I will be interested to see if I lose anything next week. No cheat meals or anything coming up this week so we will see.

So I'm sure some of you have seen me posting on the KD Board about my anxiety about Twisted Timbers and how I unfortunately was walk of shamed last friday. I will now defer all that discussion to here since I don't want to be a buzzkill to anyone happy about how great that ride is ( ). For those that have not seen anything I am 6'3 318 pounds currently. I used to weigh 360 pounds about a year ago. I've been pretty consistent with the gym over the last year but hit a terrible plateau in September that I can't seem to bust out of (planning to start Insanity soon as I think that will have an effect for sure). I can ride I305 at Kings Dominion which is cool and it's one of my absolute favorite roller coasters ever, unfortunately it is not the most re-rideable coaster out there as after about 3-5 rides I'm usually exhausted. I know if I lose about another 20 pounds I will be at a point where I will be good for most major coasters again. Just need to bust out of this god awful plateau. The human body is a jerk when it comes to weight loss.

^ That's a big bummer to hear you got WOS'd. I hate to brag after that post but I have some awesome news for this thread!

Opening weekend went off without a hitch! (As I posted in the KD thread) I had no problems with anything @ KD and BGW all weekend. Still haven't been weighing myself but clothes keep getting looser and obviously I know now w/ the rides this weekend what I'm doing is working. I'll be writing a report but couldn't help share here.

Our first ride was Twisted Timbers and as we were next to board I watched a walk of shame and started sweating. Then I sat down and gave myself an inch or so of space between the bar and my lap thinking the ops would push down but they didn't and I was good to go! I was ecstatic. I did see a bunch of WOSs all day, but I had no issues and no stapling. So awesome.

A little later we eventually made it to Volcano where I found the OTSRs to be a tight squeeze two years ago but this time I had no problem at all getting the seatbelt to snap. A bit later at Dominator same thing - no issue at all. On Sunday @ BGW I was concerned about Alpengeist which was a very tight squeeze 2 years ago but I got the belt to snap with no assistance. Same thing on Griffon.

Of course I ate like a roadtripping pig all weekend - nothing but fast and park food - loaded nachos, giant pretzels w/ whiz, multiple burgers, poutine, Waffle House, beers beers and more beers. It's a celebration, b*tches.

Now its back on the saddle. Salad for lunch today.

edit: 6000 posts!

Edited by boldikus

Just use the walk of shame as extra motivation to keep the weight loss going. Try switching up your habbits and routine maybe it will kick you off of the plateau you are stuck on.

Boldikus that is awesome sir I am glad it went so smoothly for you. I am hoping to feel the same when we hit Cedar Point in

June. With the pace I am on it should be no issue but I have a hectic May coming up filled with concerts and not so good food most likely.

^ That's a big bummer to hear you got WOS'd. I hate to brag after that post but I have some awesome news for this thread!

Awww now I'm even more sad! no but congrats to you on being able to fit better on the rides I imagine that will be me a year from now or so. I would like to do it sooner but the CPA exam requires me to spend a lot of time sitting down and staring at a computer the next few months (not unlike my full-time job ).

Good morning I hope everyone is staying on track and losing like they want. This is a pretty mind blowing day for me. I had been consistently losing 2-3 pounds since we started all of this and this morning when I weighed in I had dropped 7! I am now at 259 and have lost 26 lbs since the last week in January. I will be interested to see if I lose anything next week. No cheat meals or anything coming up this week so we will see.

Good job.. as you start getting near your target, it will slow down (in my experience).

I wonder if it works the same way, with plateaus, if one is trying to gain weight/muscle?

but that's a pretty big drop for 1 week, so likely it's water weight. still tho, that's some great motivation, so congrats Ape!

congrats Boldy!

LOL, and I totally get the "celebrate by killing the healthy eating that got me the win" mindset. . LOL

(after finally dropping a pound, ate bad Friday night, Sat at the Racetrack (we went to Pirelli racing at Circuit of Americas, in a suite with catered food), and then last night, when had planned a healthy meal. . the neighbors came over and said "come out to dinner with us to try the new Mexican place that just opened. . it's my birthday!!!". . so did that too!

but back on healthy eating today!

and CoasterAuditor. . totally get the frustration of the plateaus (heck, I was just "stuck" for 3 weeks with EXACTLY the same weight, despite working out every day and really watching my eating).. .eventually it kicks back in. . tho it's harder for folks like me over 50.

but yeah, as others said, use it as motivation to have a goal to ride Twisted Timbers by end of Summer

you can do it!

Good job.. as you start getting near your target, it will slow down (in my experience).

I wonder if it works the same way, with plateaus, if one is trying to gain weight/muscle?

but that's a pretty big drop for 1 week, so likely it's water weight. still tho, that's some great motivation, so congrats Ape!

I am no expert on water weight but I take in between 110-130 ounces a day of water. I have maybe one flavored drink a week and have kept myself on a tight eating schedule while upping my work outs. I expected to stay at 2-3 pounds loss each week i just don't think this big drop was water weight but we will see what next week brings.

Awww now I'm even more sad! no but congrats to you on being able to fit better on the rides I imagine that will be me a year from now or so. I would like to do it sooner but the CPA exam requires me to spend a lot of time sitting down and staring at a computer the next few months (not unlike my full-time job ).

I'm sorry but this attitude of "well, I'll try harder next year" is insane to me. You have until the end of Haunt to ride this coaster, literally SEVEN months from now. I believe you can do it. Have you tried a calorie tracker like myfitnesspal? (apologies if you're aware, as I know its been talked about in this thread but I cant be bothered to look back right now lol) Its a free app on your phone. You set your goal weight and time frame and you start to enter in everything you eat. It sounds tedious but its really simple and easy and you'll get addicted to doing it, and likely you'll find yourself turning down certain foods since you know you'll hit your calorie for the day limit faster. Its just about creating a calorie deficit - burn more calories than you take in.

Also, I know all about being busy but can you not set aside 15-30 minutes a day to get out and walk/go for a run? Or start walking and work your way up to running?

A couple years ago I was able to lose over 50 pounds in about 4 months just by using that app and walking (and eventually running) 30 minutes a day, and I'm one of the laziest mutherf**kers alive. If I can do that anyone can, including you.

I'm sorry but this attitude of "well, I'll try harder next year" is insane to me. You have until the end of Haunt to ride this coaster, literally SEVEN months from now. I believe you can do it. Have you tried a calorie tracker like myfitnesspal? (apologies if you're aware, as I know its been talked about in this thread but I cant be bothered to look back right now lol) Its a free app on your phone. You set your goal weight and time frame and you start to enter in everything you eat. It sounds tedious but its really simple and easy and you'll get addicted to doing it, and likely you'll find yourself turning down certain foods since you know you'll hit your calorie for the day limit faster. Its just about creating a calorie deficit - burn more calories than you take in.

Also, I know all about being busy but can you not set aside 15-30 minutes a day to get out and walk/go for a run? Or start walking and work your way up to running?

A couple years ago I was able to lose over 50 pounds in about 4 months just by using that app and walking (and eventually running) 30 minutes a day, and I'm one of the laziest mutherf**kers alive. If I can do that anyone can, including you.

That attitude was not what I intended to project. I lost 45 pounds in the last year I've just been stuck in a plateau for a few months now I've been in the gym 3-5 days a week probably about 95% of weeks in the last year with strength training and elliptical running. I have my streaks with myfitnesspal as well. I definitely think there is a good chance I can get on Twisted Timbers in the next three months and I even may go try again in the next month once the test seat shows up because I think the fact I was wearing a tight belt directly around my waist on some relatively tight jeans (not like tight tight I was probably wearing a size smaller than what I should be) was causing some distortion in my gut. Yeah I am relatively a pretty active person if you based my laziness off the last year alone.

give me a run down. the old tracker I use is the activity ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings on my watch and my Nike run app

For myfitnesspal? Well, download it and play with it. Its free (though some addons like I think a step counter, etc are $$) Basically its a calorie and weight tracker. Enter your current and goal weight and set a time frame. It'll give you the calorie #s you can have for the day, you can also enter your exercise for the day. Its a tiny bit tedious at first but becomes easier as many people use it so you'll find the calorie counts for foods you've eaten already in there, saving you time entering stuff in. Then it saves the food you eat every time you enter something so if you are eating a lot of the same stuff, you can just pull from your previously added food which makes it a lot less time consuming.

After a few weeks of use you'll notice that when you enter something like say coffee, it will suggest you to enter half n half too, because it knows you use both together every day, so over time it becomes even easier. Something similar would be when I enter salad, it knows what dressing I use and how much I use so when I enter the salad, it will suggest the same amount of the same dressing I usually use. Though if I want I can change anything, like the serving size, or put in different dressing, etc. Those are obviously just examples but hopefully you get the idea.

It also will do stuff like remind you to enter your weight for the day, etc. Just play with it. It's really simple. Like I said you'll start to eat better just because you'll start to memorize how many calories certain foods are and without even looking know you can't (or shouldn't) have whatever it is. Or alternately if you worked out and entered that stuff in obviously you can have more food that usual so again without even looking after a while you can do the math in your head and think "OK I'm good to eat a little snack after dinner because I did those extra 10 minutes of running", etc etc Its just a matter of using it and getting more familiar/more in the habit of utilizing it.

When I used it all the time I got super addicted to it and it kept me losing slow and steady, and I know a few others that swear by it.

^I'll mention the first time I put a large milkshake from Sonic into Myfitnesspal, I was horrified how many calories it had it's safe to say I will almost never get a milkshake from Sonic again. Myfitnesspal definitely helped me keep decent track of what to eat and what to avoid for sure and now its almost second nature even when I forget to use it some days.

I will concur with a lot of what boldikus said about myfitnesspal. I started using it after perusing this thread back in the end of January. I was surprised how high certain foods were that I thought were relatively diet-friendly (mainly Subway, which I eat all the time). Now, I have to plan more if I want to stay on "calorie-budget" and still eat things like pizza.

I'm getting better at using the app, but I get frustrated when I go out places that aren't in the system and figuring out what to put in the app. I love using its barcode scanning feature, and the steps counting is nice as well. Pokémon Go has really paid off lately!

I stopped using it for a week for spring break in Branson because I didn't want to be constantly worried what to put in. I thought for sure I would have gained so much weight but I stepped on the scale and actually lost! This whole diet thing is confusing...

Since I haven't been weighing myself and in turn sharing those numbers here (I may start soon though) I felt it appropriate to share photographic evidence of my little bit of progress. This is early December and then over the weekend.

Dec_Mar.jpg.fef9d4ccd7464914757a8cf782bc9d2c.jpg

I didn't realize how noticeable it was til I looked at these side by side (Yeah I know black is slimming but you best believe I'm sucking it all in in the before pic and hadn't even eaten anything yet, while the after pic was after Waffle House and then a few beers already)