TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

^ My hopes on "Company" is that a CD and a DVD comes out of this production. Truth, "Company" has been the most covered Sondheim musical,

I've ever known about! And no matter how it all turns out - it could close early, heavens forbid! - it should be recorded, in some fashion. I'm sure it will be.

I wrote to Sondheim through the theatre that "Into The Woods" was originally playing in. I was in Los Angeles on a trip, in 1987, staying at a friend's in W.Hollywood. Picked up a local paper which had letters and reviews about the "new Sondheim show" Into The Woods. (I also got the brand new 2 CD set of the first London FOLLIES, just released.) Something one letter said, made me feel different, so I wrote back to the paper, refuting what the writer had sent (I never saw if they actually printed it or not - was back home by then), and then followed it up back home, and just decided to write him, through the theatre, and ask the question about this "musical passage" I had learned to enjoy in the CD. Also, I told him how much I enjoyed "No One is Alone," and to me, it became his most recent "Send In The Clowns." And mailed the note.

Weeks later, he wrote me back! Typed on simple notepaper. And we've been short noting each other, mainly me to him, through the years, including Holiday cards and his birthday. Which then contain any questions I have for him, hoping he'll answer them. I got to actually meet him, where he still lives now in New York, back in 1989. Got invited to come and visit, did so and chatted as best I could, under the OMG circumstances I was in, and it's one of my Broadway Highlights in Life, heh. And I got myself a souvenir from him, from his collection of recordings of shows, concerts, all something to do with his work...

...And I picked a great choice, as he told me so, back then.

OMG, indeed!   What can I say?!!  Capturing the ear of one of theater's most gifted, prolific and unique talents!?!  AND being a guest in his home.  NIRVANA.   Thanks SO much for sharing that story.   I had heard that Sondheim enjoyed engaging theater people (and theater-goers), and how wonderful that you've kept in touch over the years.  I can certainly see it being one of your "Broadway Highlights in Life!"  What an "A-+" experience.  (Did he live at the Apthorp on the Upper West Side at the time of your visit....or was he, by then, in his midtown townhouse?  If you were in the Apthorp, then you were across the street from me. )

By the way, you've probably read this past article from NY Magazine...but in case you haven't.....check out:

http://nymag.com/news/frank-rich/stephen-sondheim-2013-12/index4.html

It's titled "The Sondheim Puzzle," and Frank Rich talks in detail about his longtime friendship with Sondheim. Lots of good tidbits.  Thanks again for sharing your spectacular 'behind-the-scenes' story.

Alice

P.S.  Kudos on your special souvenir from your get-together.   I'd go nuts choosing from his collection!!

P.S. Just been catching up on a few of the new songs/numbers being created for the new "FROZEN: The Musical",

opening this coming Thursday on Broadway, on YouTube! It's starting to blow me away, that there are a few really

awesome new songs Kristen and Robert have written for this production. The CD doesn't come out till June, but

there are already, songs done by the cast members, stripped down from the show, and presented in concert settings. In Youtube!

Go find!

Thanks for the heads up on the new "Frozen: The Musical."  Just had a chance to listen to a couple of songs and was particularly taken by "Monster."  Definitely a KEEPER!   (Also, "Would You Like to Build a Snowman" was charming and poignant.)  I need to listen to the rest of the score!  Which songs are your faves?

Alice

P.S.  I saw tidbits on TV of Escape to Margaritaville.  Very lively and colorful.  Although I'm not sure it would be a favorite of mine, it's no doubt a fun experience and will likely draw in an audience (and sell CDs!).

^ I've only heard a few of the songs, presented on YouTube, but for now, my current fave of the three is

Patti Murin's take on "True Love". Pretty intense and beautifully sung. I've been hearing Caissie Levy

sing, most of the time. But Murin's voice is just beautiful ,too! And I'm glad I got to hear this one,

that she gets to sing...

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/191519/watch-patti-murin-sing-frozens-moving-new-anthem-true-love/

^^ I met him at his townhouse. Got shown the outside (HUGE) courtyard gardens. And...shown which

townhouse was Katherine Hepburn's! (She wasn't in, sadly.)

^ I've only heard a few of the songs, presented on YouTube, but for now, my current fave of the three is

Patti Murin's take on "True Love". Pretty intense and beautifully sung. I've been hearing Caissie Levy

sing, most of the time. But Murin's voice is just beautiful ,too! And I'm glad I got to hear this one,

that she gets to sing...

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/191519/watch-patti-murin-sing-frozens-moving-new-anthem-true-love/

^^ I met him at his townhouse. Got shown the outside (HUGE) courtyard gardens. And...shown which

townhouse was Katherine Hepburn's! (She wasn't in, sadly.)

I agree that Patti Murin has a phenomenal voice and a uniquely engaging presence. Thanks for the URL!

Interesting to learn that Sondheim's townhouse overlooks the 'old homestead' of Katherine Hepburn. I recall her living at 49th St bet. 2nd & 3rd, the Turtle Bay area? I had read that she often could be found on her roof, puttering around.....so naturally I never missed the opportunity to walk down her block if I was in the neighborhood. (But, nope....I never DID catch a peek.) Apparently, the house was purchased for 3.9 million by a fan in 2004 who then rented it out for $27,500 a month.

Alice

Here's what the 2016-2017 Broadway Musicals Season looked like, in Cast Recordings, etc.

(Pardon the delay of this, but "Sunday In The Park..." was the holdout recording being released.)

And it was actually a Banner Year for Musical Recordings! 16 musicals recorded, with an 'extra'

being a new TONYs Look at the past season, with tracks from most musicals that opened.

And as of this posting, only five musicals are still running, since their openings in that season:

A Bronx Tale, Dear Evan Hansen, Come From Away, Hello Dolly!, and Anastasia.

The2016-17Season.JPG.20b217a37f57b63b189a9f9fd60393e8.JPG

Shown in order of their openings; top to bottom, left to right. (o;

^^ I have no memory of other places Katherine Hepburn lived, in New York. With Stephen Sondheim, literally right beside me, out on his patio overlooking this gorgeous enclosed PARK with an f-ing creek running through it?.... I sort of blanked, and then he said "Oh, I wonder if Kate's at home. That's her townhouse." My only response was "Kate Hepburn?" He nodded. I blanked again.

Here's the current four, currently running in this new 2017-2018 Broadway Musicals Season...

The2017-2018Season01.JPG.b9e3053bfda7a9a1a517ca87cbceb535.JPG

The now closed PRINCE OF BROADWAY's cd is released April 20th. FROZEN's release comes up on June 22nd.

Here's what the 2016-2017 Broadway Musicals Season looked like, in Cast Recordings, etc.

(Pardon the delay of this, but "Sunday In The Park..." was the holdout recording being released.)

And it was actually a Banner Year for Musical Recordings! 16 musicals recorded, with an 'extra'

being a new TONYs Look at the past season, with tracks from most musicals that opened.

And as of this posting, only five musicals are still running, since their openings in that season:

A Bronx Tale, Dear Evan Hansen, Come From Away, Hello Dolly!, and Anastasia.

Wow! Thanks so much for capturing this "Banner Year for Broadway Musical Recordings" and new releases! I am sorely tempted to see Bette Midler in Hello Dolly. Hmmmm....tho I may need to check with my 'financial manager." Shows are SO unbelievably pricey these days! The era of 'casual' show going is sadly in the past. (Tho there are still some ways to get a break and I need to check them out!) I do love Bette Midler!

P.S. Kate Hepburn had a "creek" running thru her property?!?!?!? What a gal!

Alice

^ Midler's not in Dolly! any more. She left in January, and now Bernadette Peters is back on Broadway, in the iconic role.

HelloDollyMidler2017d.jpg.5e986c1316db8fccd5fdf8e1939ff1f3.jpg

Bernadette is back where she belongs - on Broadway again! And Victor Garber is now playing Horace Vandergelder.

^ Midler's not in Dolly! any more. She left in January, and now Bernadette Peters is back on Broadway, in the iconic role.

ALRIGHTY THEN! Sorry to miss Bette, but couldn't ask for a better replacement! Bernadette Peters is sensational. Broadway is definitely 'back where she belongs!' (Plus, I love the fact that she (and the late great Mary Tyler Moore) has/have put so much effort into hosting and raising money for BROADWAY BARKS, an annual event at Schubert Alley to help rescues. It's such a fun event, and the work she puts into this is so much appreciated.

Alice

Really enjoyed NBC's Jesus Christ Superstar tonight. John Legend was phenomenal, as expected. The choreography was very cool in how it looked less polished and more organic, closer to a flash mob than Broadway. It was not sloppy, it was intentionally raw. The lack of orchestra pit was an interesting choice, and I think it worked. It gave the opportunity to have the instruments front and centre sometimes, and for the actors to interact with them. And Alice Cooper being Alice Cooper and absolutely loving it. Overall, great performance, and well worth sitting through several 5 minute blocks of adverts.

Found another Book of Mormon musical fan, at the liquor store of all places!

The cashier asked me where I got the BoM buttons from, and I told her the first time

the tour came here, I bought them. "And the last tour, I finally got the Frog!"

Which made her immediately laugh out loud and say "They sell those???" I nodded and said,

probably this September's tour dates too. This is now the third time for a tour of BoM

to come through town. Now, I have to think about what to buy THIS time?

Hmmmm. Maybe, finally, a t-shirt?

It was a nice surprising conversation to have with anyone who loves Broadway Musicals, like I do.

theBookOfMormon-2011.jpg.188b403e9161c298da62118e1e28cdc0.jpg

Touring back to YVR this coming September!

Fun! I'm really hoping Book of Mormon comes anywhere close to me at some point. Given Missouri's history with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, not likely, but hopefully it comes here at some point. I've heard such good things, I know I will like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Any LA people here?? I'm doing a production of Spring Awakening at the Cupcake Theater in North Hollywood opening May 4th! If you haven't seen this show, it is seriously incredible and the soundtrack will stick with you for weeks. If you have seen it...I should have no problem convincing you to see it again!

Get tickets HERE and use promocode DANIELAWAKENING for 50% off!

DanielSpringAwakeningPoster.thumb.png.40d04233f2a0211891bf078651647c2a.png

^ Congrats on the part and break a leg when it all starts in May!

Isn't Hanschen the really nasty teasing one? If so, great part to get into!

(If it's not, my oops.)

And it's all at The Cupcake Theater!

Have a great show!

SpringAwakening.jpg.fb40a99d401deac73998221b9cebfe55.jpg

The Original

SpringAwakening2015.jpg.f9ff466e991f5637c5b4fda3f20c29cb.jpg

The Revival

Ditto on the congrats.

it's a great show, and if was in LA, would go see it.

Writer Mark Evanier talks about Cupcake theater productions all the time!

have a great run!

^^ By the way - why the long time in between some performance dates?

Is another show happening, on the dates your show isn't on?

Or does it have to do with......dare I say.......Equity Rules?

Just being nosy, that's me.

^Haha! I'm opening the show, going on a coaster trip to Europe for two weeks, then coming back to do the show for a weekend, then heading to Kentucky for two weeks to do a wedding, Cedar Point, and a movie, and then coming back to finish the run. It's going to be a busy couple months!

Just viewed an awesome interview with Nathan Lane on http://www.Broadway.com

https://www.broadway.com/videos/158566/show-people-with-paul-wontorek-nathan-lane-of-angels-in-america/

He's currently in Angels in America on Broadway, playing Roy Cohn. Such an intense role for him!

And...the TONY Nominations come out on Tuesday morning, May 1st. Stay tuned!

Any LA people here?? I'm doing a production of Spring Awakening at the Cupcake Theater in North Hollywood opening May 4th! If you haven't seen this show, it is seriously incredible and the soundtrack will stick with you for weeks. If you have seen it...I should have no problem convincing you to see it again!

Get tickets HERE and use promocode DANIELAWAKENING for 50% off!

Break a leg DBru! And congratulations! I'm not that familiar with Spring Awakening, but will now check it out online. (Love how you've combined your passions for theater AND roller coasters! If you were just a tad closer (I'm in NYC), I'd definitely be in the audience.)

Alice

Just viewed an awesome interview with Nathan Lane on http://www.Broadway.com

https://www.broadway.com/videos/158566/show-people-with-paul-wontorek-nathan-lane-of-angels-in-america/

He's currently in Angels in America on Broadway, playing Roy Cohn. Such an intense role for him!

And...the TONY Nominations come out on Tuesday morning, May 1st. Stay tuned!

Thanks, NW. I'll definitely enjoy that interview with Nathan Lane! Quite a show!! Quite a role! (Tho I'm not surprised by the casting. The majority of those who've made their mark in comedy are exceptional in drama.)

Alice

The TONY Nominations are in, today!

And the musicals Mean Girls (book by Tina Fey) and Spongebob Squarepants (Score by Many Artists, lol.) lead the noms with 12 each!

https://www.tonyawards.com/index.html

broadcast_2018.thumb.png.2c5aa3b7bcfe212fef56ecbe9b54638f.png

And these are the four musicals nominated for The Best Musical of the Season....

tonyaward01.jpg.254d5af823bf89ee941bf606c35f9409.jpg

Shiny. And...it spins!

MeanGirls.jpg.18db065fba48ae1f2ebc8bab1a05d190.jpg

Cast Recording available June 15th. Go Tina! Go Tina! Go Tina!

SpongeBobSquarepants.jpg.0bc925c37584fa01a9e64b67501e2e2e.jpg

This will be a verrrrrry interesting acceptance speech, if this wins for Best Score, lol!

TheBandsVisit.jpg.8fc88b1b32824326f4f1a8ec17355033.jpg

This is the "Small Musical" that could upset all the bigger contenders. (o;

FrozenTheMusical01.jpg.bbc1ec5bff7da5e2e135a5bd61369c20.jpg

Cast Recording available June 22nd. Got Least - Nominations - Shock!

Edited by Nrthwnd

TONYS Info:

After going through all of the musicals' nominations, it looks like there is only

one musical that got completely shut out of the race.........drum roll please?.....

Escape2018.jpg.7fbeac75ca2b250fff06c4a802361801.jpg

Well, I hope Buffett still gets a mention, for the great sounding show (CD) that it is... IMhO.

:smile: The TONY Nominations are in, today!

And the musicals Mean Girls (book by Tina Fey) and Spongebob Squarepants (Score by Many Artists, lol.) lead the noms with 12 each!

https://www.tonyawards.com/index.html

Thanks, NW! So, are you surprised? Pleased? I'm reasonably happy...though a part of me wishes there were more 'memorable tunes' breaking out of Broadway. Ah well....I've got to honor the Past, but celebrate the Present and the Future.

Speaking of!!!......Do you have the book Something Wonderful: Rodgers and Hammerstein's Broadway Revolution by Todd S. Purdum? Can't believe I almost missed this. Sounds amazing!

P.S. My cousin just saw the revival of Agnes of God and said it was terrific! I saw the original with Amanda Plummer, but I'm sure I'd enjoy seeing this play again. A+ theater!

Alice

^ I am surprised that Frozen didn't get more nominations. Other than that, I was happy with what and who was nominated. And no, I don't have that

Rodgers & Hammerstein book. I tend to collect books on stage designers (like the late Boris Aronson, who designed early Sondheim musicals like Company, A Little Night Music, and Follies), and several "coffee table books" on the individual musicals, like Avenue Q, Cabaret, The Producers, The Lion King, Book of Mormon, Wicked, Phantom, Sunset Boulevard, etc.

And ~ THIS JUST IN! Melissa Benoist, known to tv fans as SUPERGIRL (which films here in Vancouver) and a former Glee cast member,

is going to make her Broadway debut in Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, June 7 through August. She's such a great singer, it's good

that she's finally getting to do some singing for a change, rather than "flying around" on tv, lol.

Beautiful_2018-Q2_MelissaBenoist.jpg.978a6bd280179d25fbd23ff2669e11bc.jpg