TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mystic Lakes (Theme Park RCT3)

Please bear with me as the is my first time doing a project like this so I hope you all like this. Oh and my computer didn't want to let me change the signs so they all say Frontier. So for now Frontier sponsor the park!

A little bit of background on Mystic Lakes: The theme park began construction in 1954 and the park officially opened for its 1st season April 26th 1955. The park has 4 soon to be 5 roller coasters among many other flat rides and facilities.

1970's season press release:

March 27th 1970

Fredrick Ross, here (Mystic Lakes CEO) Mystic Lakes is North Carolina’s premier park and we are already planning guest ahead! Mystic Lakes is quickly becoming the ideal family destination for all ages and we are seeking at introducing a new world record breaking attraction for the 1970 season, costing a whopping 1milion USD.

Corkscrew continues our commitment to bring world record breaking theme park experiences to Mystic Lakes.

Corkscrew will be the first coaster ever to go upside down 3 times, built by the famous company Arrow Developments, this ride is sure to be a hit with the thrill seekers! Featuring 3 inversions over the lake adding another world class coaster to our current line up. Being our 5th new coaster we are excited to expand our park to the next level with this massive attraction.

We have spent the past year sourcing the globe for a new attraction that will take our park to the next level. We can’t wait to bring this brand-new ride to our guests.

While construction is continuing along at a frantic pace guest will see a few more improvements in the park, a relaunch of the Twirler under new name, “Rumbler”, a new season pass holders entry and several infrastructure projects going on behind the scenes.

Seasons launches April 26th when we will launch our newest and biggest attraction to date Corkscrew (MA1)! See you all in 4 weeks!

OPENING DAY April 26th 1970

Fredrick Ross here to give you a little run down on our opening day which had a great turnout as we launched our newest world record breaking attraction Corkscrew.

Appolgies for some photos having the tool bar on the side.

Today was a successfully day so make sure you stay tuned for more updates

Shot0039.bmp

The view as you drive down the main highway. Its great to have the gates open again.

Shot0004.bmp

The main entrance gate already opened as people start to fill the park. IN the background you can see the beast.

Shot0005.bmp

To the right we have the new season pass holders entry and next to that is the new season pass holder store.

Shot0007.bmp

The park starts with a main street like area and the building with the yellow door houses a motion simulator which had 40 minute lines today. This ride has been popular since it was built in 1968. Just 2 years ago.

Shot0008.bmp

The next attraction was the Rotor which was not working this morning but it was up and running by 1pm. This ride was built when the park opened in 1955.

Shot0009.bmp

The Rotor had 25 minute wait maximum today great for the guests.

Shot0010.bmp

One of the main food stores. The motion simulator exists into this shop.

Shot0011.bmp

The Loop O Plane was spinning guest all morning. However it did break down and close for 1 hours in the afternoon. But it got back up and running after.

Shot0014.bmp

The Western area which has had a little bit of work done. The show and Rumbler was added in 1960. However the Beast roller coaster was added in 1966. 4 years ago.

Shot0018.bmp

The Twirler has had a paint job and a re theme launching under new name "Rumbler" As you can see the ride now suits the Wild West feel to really improve the area.

Shot0019.bmp

Some nice new scenery elements have been added.

Shot0020.bmp

The theatre is behind the rumble and houses a western themed show.

Shot0021.bmp

Looking back onto the Rumbler.

Shot0023.bmp

Our biggest eatery the "American Dinner".

Shot0028.bmp

The new season pass holders entry allows pass holders a quick and hassle free entry to the park.

Shot0033.bmp

The main fountain at the end of main street.

Shot0034.bmp

Shot0035.bmp

Shot0041.bmp

To the left of the park is a family classic the Giant Slide!

Shot0043.bmp

Now lets get onto the cool stuff. This is the new world record breaking Corkscrew roller coaster!

Shot0047.bmp

The worlds first roller coaster to loop 3 times made by the famous Arrow!

Shot0048.bmp

We also have intimidator a Wooden reverse coaster. Built in 1960 (Celebrating its 10th season this year)

Shot0049.bmp

A Wild Mouse coaster built in 1964.

Shot0050.bmp

A Mine train that opened with the park in 1955.

Shot0065.bmp

Another angle of the Spinning Coaster.

Shot0066.bmp

Another image of the Mine Train.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16th of September 1970

Malcom Jones here (Local resident) (Trip Review)

So I headed down to my local theme park Mystic Lakes. It was a fun enjoyable day out with the family. There are a few issues I noticed, like there are no names for any of the food outlets or times listed that they are open. Which becomes hard to identify which is what and what they sell. Hopefully the park fix this soon. I have also noticed the main street area seems to be the main hub of services and there is a lack of toilets, food options and lockers around the park. Even if they build a little locker area near the main coaster hub area and put in some food carts. There are 3 food outlets, 2 souvenir shops and other facilities located on main street. But all in all it was a good day! Also I noticed some construction fences popping up. Staff didn't say much about it when I asked but all they said was something is coming for next season! Hoping for a nice family ride.

Anyway here we go!

Shot0029.bmp

Heading into the park!

Shot0091.bmp

Photo of the car park and entrance 30 minutes before the park opened.

Shot0042.bmp

First up a headed left and went to the Giant Slide. I was glad they used the hill side and it really is a tall slide which is great fun for the family. I do hope they add more gentle rides as roller coasters are not my thing.

Shot0016.bmp

So after the slide I walked around to the Wild West side and I skipped the Beast (looked to intimidating for me) Decided to take the kids on the Rambler which was very thrilling so I needed to take it slow after.

Shot0038.bmp

One day I might try the Beast. However after a thrilling ride on the Rumbler I decided to watch the wild west show to get rid of my headache. Where I notices some markers. (more on this later)

Shot0044.bmp

So then we decided to ahead around to the roller coasters. I took in the views of the lake why my kids had the time of their lives on the Corkscrew. It had a 40 minute wait today but that didn't stop my kids from ridding it 4 times. I decided to have a coffee and enjoy the views of the lake. It would be good to see them build some attractions that show of the beauty of the lake.

Shot0045.bmp

Corkscrew is just to intense for me!

Shot0051.bmp

We walked along further around the lake to wear the 3 other coasters are. My kids enjoyed going on all of them. However I just went on the Spinning Coaster. Which was enough for me. However my son did say that the Mine train was rough. (Apparently this is the oldest one hear)

Shot0089.bmp

Once we finished doing our rounds of the coasters. We headed back to main street. Here was the loop o plane. Which did not look like a ride for me and it seemed to have a long wait so we decided to give it a skip.

Shot0058.bmp

Next up is the Rotor which my kids said was a fun ride. Along with the motion simulator which I went on.

Shot0053.bmp

Now I did notice construction fences on the lake side of the paths around the Corkscrew/intimidator area. Maybe something new coming. The are looks very hilly. Hopefully a family friendly ride for me.

Shot0054.bmp

The area comes right back to the lake. Seems a weird spot to put something due to the land shape.

Shot0055.bmp

Some diggers on site beginning construction

Shot0063.bmp

As you can see there are a few hills there.

Shot0064.bmp

This image to show how close it will come to Corkscrew.

Shot0059.bmp

Now back on the markers around the wild west show. Here they are.

Shot0061.bmp

They seem to be leading to the switch board. Wether its for power. But it looks like nothing major will be happening at this end of the park.

Shot0062.bmp

So as we headed home a noticed that the Loop O Plane had been closed for a few hours. Hopefully they get this fixed soon.

So I was reading the paper and I happened to see this:

Mystic Lakes 1971 season new attraction!

Today Mystic Lakes announced it has signed a contract in Europe for a new $300,000 attraction slated for next season. Codenamed “MA2”, short for Major attraction, this new arrival continues are commitment to bringing ground breaking attractions to our theme park.

MA2 follows on from the likes of Corkscrew (MA1) and will be the first of its kind in the US. CEO Fredrick Ross says, “this ride will spin you to new heights.”

“We set the benchmark with Corkscrew and we have spent our time sourcing the globe for another attraction which will continue to add to our already amazing collection.

Having road tested one of these attractions before we are confident that this will be a major hit for our guests.”

Since the arrival of Corkscrew annual attendants has increased 25% on lasts year attendants. "So we are ready to invest again and over the coming years on new and exiting things. We need to keep our park fresh and make sure we deliver the best and latest rides and attractions to our guests"

While construction commences on MA2’s arrival, this year our guests will also notice a few other changes, which will be revealed soon. With this announcement, we must say that our western show will be closed for the remainder of this season. We can’t wait to see you at the park and show you MA2.

Stay tuned for more updates!

So looks like some big things in store. Hopefully everything goes to plan!

Ok, just before I post I just want to say I have worked out how to put the pictures on the banners and how to take proper photos without tool bars and stuff. However the next few updates pictures were taken before I found out how to do this.

5th September 1970: Trip Report

Local resident Joey Malcom,

So Mystic Lakes is close to were I live but my kids really wanted me to take them so this is the first time I have been. I must admit it is a nice park however there are a few problems. Their food places have no signs saying what they are and what they sell until your in the store. Which makes it hard to find what you want to eat. There are also a few run down stores that hopefully the park can fix soon. Anyway onto my trip report.

Shot0029.bmp

They have a nice looking entrance.

Shot0091.bmp

With plenty of parking. But with these new attractions they have been building this carpark will not be big enough soon.

Shot0042.bmp

First we headed over to the left of the park which houses the Giant Slide. I am not a huge fan of big thrilling attractions so this was great for me. Although my 10&12 year old son's preferred the big rides!

Shot0016.bmp

The Rumbler was fun and the kids loved this one. IT had a short 5 minute wait so we ended up going on it 3 times,

Shot0038.bmp

This section of the park was fairly quite. However this area is very nicely themed and really suits the Wild West theme. Then we tried the Beast which was a very thrilling roller coaster!

Shot0026.bmp

Next we headed back to main street to go on the motion simulator. This was a very busy ride due to it low capacity we waited around 40 minutes. (Yellow door is the ride entrance)

Shot0044.bmp

Next we headed to try the Corkscrew. I gave this a miss. To much for me and my kids thought this was the best ride. I decided to have a coffee. I really think this park should open up the lake more so people can enjoy the views. They seem to build away from the lake instead.

Shot0051.bmp

The Mine Train was very rough and old. I hope we see this one go. There seemed to be not many people around here. When there are better coasters around the corner.

Shot0089.bmp

The Loop O Plane was a very intense flat ride.

Shot0058.bmp

The Rotor is also another fun classic.

Shot0053.bmp

Now we did go on the other 2 coasters I just forgot to take pictures. Now this is the exiting stuff. There are construction fences around a large area of land right on the edge of the lake.

Shot0054.bmp

IT goes all the way back to the lake. I spoke to some staff and they said all they could say was "Something exiting is coming!"

Shot0055.bmp

Some machinery in the compound now. I wouldn't of thought we would see a coaster the year after Corkscrew. But the park was very busy today.

Shot0063.bmp

The land is very hilly.

Shot0064.bmp

This construction area is close to the Corkscrew. One thing I noticed is there is no lockers around the Corkscrew area or coaster area for that matter.

Shot0052.bmp

That the end of my fun day with my kids. We will defiantly be back!

Matt Walker (local resident)

So I am a season pass holder and I decided to stop into the park on the way home from work and cheek out the construction progress of MA2. (The new attraction)

Construction fences have gone up around the Western Theatre and land clearing has begun around the Corkscrew area. Hopefully more information is revealed soon.

(Feel free to give me feedback and opinions of what rides and attractions you would like to see at the park. I am learning and this is my first park.)

Shot0069.bmp

The soil is still not flat. But a lot of the hills have been removed.

Shot0071.bmp

Construction fences came right out now and onto the footpath.

Shot0073.bmp

More construction equipment now on site.

Shot0074.bmp

Its a big area.

Shot0080.bmp

The fencing around the outdoor theatre.

Shot0082.bmp

With markers leading to the power thing. Maybe this is only for power and nothing major is happening here?

Shot0085.bmp

More markers around the theatre.

So I happened to find this in the local paper. Seems like another big year for Mystic Lakes.

MYSTIC LAKES promise more thrills for 1971

Today Mystic Lakes theme park announced a new addition to add to the parks frequently growing collection of great rides. CEO Fredrick Ross reveals, “We can officially revel MA2 is called Endeavor. Endeavor will send riders hurling around a massive 72 foot diameter loop, while allowing you to experience some decent GeForces.”

“As a park we are continuing to invest in new and exciting attractions for our theme park, and this season we are adding the first ever Enterprise type ride into the states. We have seen a large spike in attendants last season with the addition of our 1 million dollar world record breaking roller coaster Corkscrew and we are excited to be able to premier another new ride this summer. We are sure this ride will be a hit with the thrill seekers but we still have plans for the non-adrenalin junkies. While this ride may not be another world record breaking roller coaster we believe we need to cater towards every market. Working on a tighter budget for MA2 has allowed us to be more creative to get a good bang for our buck. This project including doing a decant amount of ground works. But we believe putting in the attraction on the edge of the lake was a good decision. This has allowed us to open up views towards the lake and we hope to continue this along with other projects. We are also announcing a new show in our outdoor theatre launching this season. The new show is a refurbishment to our existing show and we will ensure you the west has never been so wild!

Mr Ross also noted that the ride comes from a German manufacturer named Anton Schwarzkof and it will be a $300,000 USD investment for the park. Mystic Lakes opens this April 26th and promises something for everyone.

(again I fixed the billboards but this was done before that happened. Also apologies for the first image having the toolbar)

Tom Smith local Resident (TR)

April 26th 1971,

So Mystic Lakes has thrown open its doors for its 16th season and they have launched MA2 Endeavour. As a season pass member I thought I would head down and cheek it out. REVIEW: I think the park is expanding very quickly adding 2 rides in 2 years. Corkscrew last year and now Endeavour the future of this park seems bright. However I do feat that this park will turn into a park for only adrenaline junkies and forget the older and younger generations. The last 2 major attractions have been thrill rides. As there are not many family rides other than the giant slide, the wild west show and 2 family flats. But there is nothing targeted towards the young kids. But the quality of the park is great and having this new attraction on the lake I think was a good choice. I still think the park could add to their food options as they are pretty standard.

Shot0093.bmp

Endeavour the new ride for 1971. Seems to be a hit with the thrill seekers. Sadly I am not one of them.

Shot0094.bmp

View of the Corkscrew from across the lake. I must say this ride looks good visually.

Shot0095.bmp

Not to much changed. Be the ride is nicely landscaped. Maybe a few to many trees.

Shot0096.bmp

Endeavours entrance.

Shot0106.bmp

The exit

Shot0108.bmp

Corkscrew had a few problems in the morning. But by 12pm was running faultlessly.

Shot0109.bmp

Roll O Plane was however closed all day, with people working on it.

Shot0110.bmp

In the Wild West, they have given the theatre the Rumbler treatment. The ride now suits the area much better.

Shot0111.bmp

Rumbler had a makeover last season and really looks nice and suits the wild west theme.

Shot0112.bmp

They also built a new backstage building to facilitate the show and actors.

Shot0113.bmp

It looks nice a must say. They also built a themed control room.

Shot0114.bmp

We also see a new ATM and toilets facility. Which is great to see as these facilities have only been located in main street before. A long hick for the toilet.

Shot0115.bmp

The queue area.

Shot0116.bmp

It is a definite improvement on the old bland theatre.

Shot0117.bmp

Shot0118.bmp

The stage itself.

Shot0120.bmp

Overview of the Wild West.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Jack Lical here,

So as a season pass holder I was at Mystic Lakes and I noticed some new markers out around the park at 2 separate areas. So maybe could be a new big ride install for next year? I must say that park is doing well now with the addition of Corkscrew and Endeavour. The park seemed a little quiet today as it was a week day.

Shot0126.bmp

Some markers around the Corkscrew station area. I wonder what it could be for?

Shot0127.bmp

More interestingly there are a few makers around the corner of the lake.

Shot0129.bmp

Another angle.

Shot0132.bmp

I will leave with one picture of Endeavour and a look at were the construction fences are.

Hi all,

Mike Smith here,

So I am a season pass holder and I called into Mystic Lakes today for a quick visit after work. So construction has been moving along nicely however I do think some of the food stores need some love. Anyway here are my photos.

(Feel free to give me any suggestions for the future of the park or feedback)

Shot0134.bmp

A Look at construction over the lake area. Construction fences have now popped up.

Shot0136.bmp

Along with some new machinery. I wonder what it could be for?

Shot0138.bmp

Its a big area. Maybe ANOTHER Coaster!

Shot0141.bmp

Endeavour is a really enjoyable ride. It has quickly became my second on my list. Corkscrew being number 1!

Shot0144.bmp

The 2 best rides sitting next to each other.

Shot0146.bmp

The newly refurbished theatre had a nice show going on today. However they only run it on weekends now.

Shot0148.bmp

The main dinner.

Shot0150.bmp

Joes ice-cream store.

Shot0152.bmp

The Burger Bar café. Anyway until next time. Good night.

Hi all,

Fredrick Ross here Mystic Lakes owner and CEO,

Just though I would give you an update on the upcoming 1972 season. So attached below is a preview of the offical press release that will go live in a few hours! I hope you enjoy!

After another great season with attendants increasing another 5% we are again commuted to adding to our collection of world class attractions. We are officially announcing not one but 2 new rides for next season. Code names MA3&4 code named for major addition. One will be another world class thrill ride to add to our amazing collection of thrill rides. The other will be our first major family ride. We always look through our 10 year plan and it occurred to us that we have focused to much on thrill rides and needed some more for the family. Let's just say we have an exciting 10 year plan. So our new thrill ride spins guests to new heights. While our new family ride will take you to new heights. We are exited to launch these 2 new world class attractions for the 1972 season. Together costing 1.2 million dollars. Our biggest investment in one season. Along with some other general improvements around the park. Proving that we are committed to bring world class attractions to our park and always bring something fresh and new to our valid guests. MA3&4 launch in 1973.

Let the speculation on MA3&4 begin!

• 2 months later...