[PLC] M&Ms Land

THRILL SECTOR ANNOUNCED: NEW FLAT AND NEW COASTER!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Upload files from No Limits, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc...
Discuss CoasterDynamix, KNEX Models, and more random stuff!
Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Re: [PLC] M&Ms Land

Postby fraroc » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:16 am

By now, you are all aware of the backstory and history of M&M's Land in Reno, Nevada...From the point of conception in 1980 to the building of one of the famous wooden roller coasters in the world by 1993. By the mid to late 1990's the internet had slowly started to become a household phenomenon. As more people started to use the internet in their daily lives, websites about people's interests started to open up left and right. Roller coasters were no exception to this. Coasters4U.com opened around 1998 as a small blog/message board about roller coasters and theme parks.....

The story of this park will now be told from the point of view of Coasterfreak133, one of the first users of Coasters4U.com who made a post about his very first trip to M&M's Land.

7/12/1998

Hello everybody! I will be using this website to document my first ever trip to M&Ms Land! But first, let me introduce myself! My name is Ryan, I'm 18 years old and I have been interested in roller coasters and theme parks my whole life. Especially ever since the first time that my parents took me to Six Flags Magic Mountain when I was only 5 years old.

I live close to Las Vegas, and despite the fact that there are NUMEROUS activities on the Vegas strip, roller coasters aren't that much of a thing. We have a few that are worth pointing out, such as High Roller at the Stratosphere Tower and the Manhattan Express roller coaster that was built last year. Also, we can't forget about Desperado at Buffalo Bill's Resort in Primm, which is by far the best out of those three.

Reno is a good 6 1/2 hour drive away from where I live, quite a ways away...I hoped that the park was worth the long drive away from home....and it was...oh MAN it was!

I arrived at M&Ms Land at around 11AM on July the 12th. The park had a decent crowd inside of it, which probably meant the roller coasters had pretty long lines....

Upon entering, I was taken aback at just how large the crescent shaped park was. As far as the eye could see were various rides and roller coasters....I decided to start exploring the left half of the park first.

The first coaster I chose to go on was Comet, a small Arrow Dynamics looping coaster. It had a very short, five minute wait!

Comet was a pretty good ride. A little short, but good. This kind of ride is perfect for a kid who is just starting to ride the "big coasters." I also found it to be pretty smooth for an Arrow coaster.

The second coaster I decided to go on was Screamin' Eagle, the old John Allen woodie that was relocated to the park when it first opened!

Screamin' Eagle was a fantastic old woodie filled with many moments of airtime and high speeds!

The "S-drop" was a pretty unique and funky element for a wood coaster...

Next, I decided to go on one of the park's many flat rides. Enterprise is a pretty nice Huss Enterprise with a long and thrilling ride cycle!

Many parks have installed these Vekoma Boomerangs and M&M's Land is obviously no exception. Python's line was much longer than the other coasters and I've already been on the Boomerang coaster at Knotts Berry Farm a few times. I decided to skip it.

The one I was really curious about was Scorpion. While it looks like an Arrow or a Vekoma from the outside, in actuality, it's the only roller coaster in the U.S that was designed and manufactured by Meisho of Japan.

Long story short, this coaster sucks. It just flat-out sucks. Right off the bat, you are greeted to vicious headbanging on the first drop (by very hard, under-padded shoulder restraints, I might add.) and througout the entire ride, the headbanging just does not stop.

The worst was when your head slams full-force into the side of the restraint during the dive loop. Overall, Scorpion is definitley the worst coaster here. It's full of jerky transitions and headbanging. To make matters worse, due to the fact that the coaster only has two four-car trains, capacity on this ride is actually worse than Python and lines can get pretty long. Believe me, it's NOT worth the wait. You'll be hard-pressed to find anything positive about this coaster.

It looks cool, I guess...but that's about it.

By mid afternoon, I decided to tackle the second half of the park. The addition of a kid's area in 1996 served as an excellent "express route" to the second half. This kid's area is themed to the new M&Ms "spokescandies" that they introduced in '95. You know, the red M&M and the yellow M&M that get in all kinds of mischief in those commercials? This area so far is home to smaller rides such as "Yellow's Whirly Rig", a mini ferris wheel, and "Red's Flyer" a hot-air balloon themed ride.

They even built a small Vekoma junior coaster named "M&M's Minis Express" in this area!

The path eventually deposited me right in the middle of Dodge City, the western themed area of the park! This section of the park, as I have been told is home to the best coasters in the entire park. First, I decided to do Dynamite Run, the Arrow mine train coaster.

I gotta say, for a family mine train, this is a very thrilling ride with a very cool first drop and tons of twisting turns! Unfortunatley, this trip might be the only time I'll ever be able to ride it, as I have been hearing rumors that they are going to be removing this ride before the new millennium.

Rustler had been experiencing down time all day until I finally got to the ride, therefore the line was pretty long....However, I knew I couldn't skip it after the several things I've heard about Rustler, how it's the best Arrow suspended coaster ever built....The only other Arrow suspended coaster that I had been on was Ninja at Six Flags Magic Mountain, and I happen to enjoy that ride very much, so I had to see how Rustler measured up.

Oh MAN is it a good ride! Rustler blows Ninja away! The amount of swinging action you get on this ride is outstanding! And the layout is full of these amazing swooping drops and turns! The drop after the second lift hill is absolutely amazing and even the slow, wide turn back to the station has some good swinging at some parts!

Rustler is by far the best steel coaster at M&Ms Land, Every other steel coaster here is mediocre to good at best. Rustler, in my opinion, is the only great one at M&Ms Land.

There was one ride where I intentionally waited for darkness to fall upon the park for....And that is the coaster that I have been told is one of the greatest wooden roller coasters of all time. Curtis D. Summers' Thunder Canyon...which is rumored to give night rides that rival only The Beast's.

This is hands down, the most insane wooden roller coaster I have EVER been on. It's slightly rougher than Screamin' Eagle, but not by much. The second drop was filled with ejector airtime and the small hills on top of the quarry wall had tons of floater air! Being nighttime, I wasn't sure what direction we were going, all I knew is that I was going FAST!

Then came the best part of Thunder Canyon, the train reaches the top of a hill at the quarry wall and you see the lights illuminating the rest of the park.....suddenly, you plunge downward HARD and immediatley turn into what I can describe as a jumbled mess of airtime hills and tight turns...Thunder Canyon is one of the most insane, the most intense, and probably the BEST wooden roller coaster that I have EVER been on.

All in all, I found M&Ms Land to be a very good, well rounded park. The paths were clean, and I found the atmosphere to be very family friendly. My one complaint was that there needs to be another good steel roller coaster at this park. With Dynamite Run possibly being removed soon, Rustler will be the only great steel coaster at the park.

Personally, I believe that for the next millennium, M&Ms Land should look in the direction of Intamin or Bolliger & Mabillard for their next big steel coaster.

Postby fraroc » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:54 pm

COASTERS4U.COM NEWS REPORT: M&Ms LAND TO ADD NEW FLAT RIDE AND COASTER IN 2000!

The first year of the new millenium is looking to be an absolutley fantastic year for us roller coaster fans. As of now, many major parks around the US have announced new, record breaking roller coasters to open in the year 2000, such as Son of Beast at Paramount's Kings Island, Goliath at Six Flags Magic Mountain, FOUR new coasters at Geauga Lake (now known as Six Flags Ohio), Millenium Force at Cedar Point (which is going to be the tallest and fastest coaster in the United States!) and the big daddy of them all, Steel Dragon 2000 at Nagashima Spa Land in Japan!

Now we can add another park to the list! M&Ms Land in Reno, Nevada has announced the opening of a new sci-fi themed area located in the rear of the park. This expansion will link the small "Adventure Alley" area with the "Dodge City" area, which will bring the formerly U-shaped park full circle!

The THRILL SECTOR has arrived.....to host only M&Ms Land's most thrilling attractions....

The first of the two new attractions is Razor, a HUSS top spin that is capable of many loops and spins, leaving riders not knowing which way is up!

However, the main attraction....is the tallest and fastest roller coaster at M&M's Land....MARAUDER, a brand new Intamin AG hyper coaster! The monstrous Marauder is the first coaster at M&Ms Land to break the 200 foot tall and 70mph ceilings!

After the 220 foot tall lift hill, riders will plunge down a giant 205 foot tall drop, reaching a top speed of 73mph!

Throughout it's course, riders will experience copious amounts of floating airtime...

As well as several harrowing twists and turns at high speeds! Marauder is expected to be a major success when it opens to the public in May of 2000!

MARAUDER STATS
Type: Steel Track Hypercoaster
Height: 220 feet
Length: 3,846 feet
Top Speed: 73mph
Tallest Drop: 205 feet
Ride Time: 2:40
Inversions: None
Height Requirement: 48 Inches Tall

Thrill Sector and Marauder are slated to open May 11th, 2000! Hopefully we will see you all there!

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby HAZE » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:07 am

So far, this park very much reminds me of the kind of rides I would build back when I used to play RCT2 and the desert theme is nice too. The "what if" scenario of Meisho building a coaster into the United States is very interesting, can't say I have thought of it before. And finally, Rustler is a really nice looking Arrow Suspended coaster! Really think you did a great job with that ride.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Jason Maier » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:42 pm

Nice concept . . . an amusement park in the desert.

Postby fraroc » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:48 pm

I know it's been months since I last updated this park....I'm sure you're expecting that the reason why I haven't been updating M&Ms Land is because I've been busy with IRL business, which is partially true....But the whole truth is that...I've kind of lost interest in updating this park, as in trying to come up with a good storyline behind the park, at least with Kings Paradise, Tennessee's Great America, and Riverwood Theme Park/Six Flags Adventure Kingdom, I've come up with a decent story for each of those parks...I just couldn't do that with M&Ms Land, it just seemed incredibly contrived and rushed.

However, in the same vein, I'm having a ton of fun playing Planet Coaster and I'm having a lot of fun building coasters and parks in this game....But for M&M's Land, I had so much fun building this park up that I forgot about the fact that I was trying to do a story behind the park too. The next update for M&Ms Land will most likely be the last one and will most likely be a sweeping update about the changes of the park from 2000 to the present.

So anyway, what's next for me and Planet Coaster?....Personally, one of the things I want to do is re-create one of my RCT3 parks, whether it's Kings Paradise, TGA, or even Riverwood. With the coaster building in Planet Coaster being way more advanced and better than RCT3 in every way, I feel like I can really make these coasters look like how they would if they were real.

(BTW, the reason why I never finished Riverwood was because after I got Planet Coaster...I seriously could not go back to RCT3. I was just so enamored with PLC and I wanted that game to be the tool I use to build these parks.)

So anyway, stay tuned for more!

Warm regards and Happy thanksgiving!

Previous

Return to Roller Coaster Games, Models, and Other Randomness