The Model Cyclone Racer

Discussion on building of a classic wooden wonder.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Upload files from No Limits, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc...
Discuss CoasterDynamix, KNEX Models, and more random stuff!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

The Model Cyclone Racer

Postby hillflyer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:15 pm

That’s right!

From the builder of my current project, “The Rye Airplane – the Model – the Diary” my next project will be of another Fred Church signature classic.

The Cyclone Racer once sat on an amusement pier known as The Pike in Long Beach. The twin racer was built in 1930 and operated for 38 years before being unnecessarily removed for a causeway in preparation for the arrival of the Queen Mary.

Having it rebuilt in full operating scale is the passion for Downey resident and friend Larry Osterhoudt . He is actively pursuing his goal and has engineered drawings currently being reviewed by some government agency. Afterwards, an Environmental Impact Report will be created, that alone would take a year.

This is a real life project that is a lot closer to fruition than any other coaster resurrection project. There is a lot of time to build up a huge force of support.

As my contribution towards this cause, I am recreating the famous classic ride to use as a visual aid to drum up excitement amongst the general public.

The project, preliminary research underway, is not expected to interfere with the progress of my current model of the Airplane, expected to be completed by this summer. I'm starting to think my Airplane model is just a warm up...can you imagine?
Cyclone Racer HB.jpg
Last edited by hillflyer on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:17 pm.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: The Cyclone Racer - The Model, The Diary, the Rebuild

Postby Paradox » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

I wish you great luck with this model! Have you recreated the Giant Dipper at Belmont? That's one of my favorite Church designs.
Is this a trick question?

Postby hillflyer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:12 am

Paradox wrote:I wish you great luck with this model! Have you recreated the Giant Dipper at Belmont? That's one of my favorite Church designs.

I have built SEVERAL models of the Giant Dipper in some way shape or form. They led to my becoming one of the first to begin the effort to save the real thing!
Belmont model 1 no station.jpg
This is in the summer of 1981 during the time when I was still illegally trespassing on the property to get dimensions. This was a highly photographed drop on the real ride, so I built this first. I started to build the station the way it was in 1976, before I found out that it was not the original design (redesigned in 1956). Scale: 1/4" = 1'-0"
Belmont model 2 station.jpg
Right after we began the Save the Coaster Committee, I immediately had this built to show what the center part of the coaster would look restored and pretty. I recreated the 1925 station house. The red color was inspired by the Santa Cruz Giant Dipper. We used this one to show City Hall January 20th, 1982. When I made a short musical documentary film on the roller coaster, I tried to recreate the fire by having the coaster in the foreground and the fire about three feet away in the background...not far enough. I was SICK the next morning. But at least I have that moment on film!
Belmont 1 eighth scale.jpg
I built this 1/8" = 1'-0" this one in only 6 weeks summer of 1982. We used this one to display on site when we had our public work days. I don't know what ever happened to this one.
Belmont Model section.jpg
Summer of 1987, I built ANOTHER whole new 1/4" = 1'-0" midsection. I upped the detail and even used candy off a candy necklace to use as footings! They worked perfect. This model was destroyed in a break in of our construction office (it was behind the door when in broke open). The remainder was buried under the real station house.
Belmont Model quarter.jpg
Last edited by hillflyer on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:29 am.

Postby hillflyer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:50 pm

I will take all the photos I can find and start marking them up likewise. Did my first one!!
CR B peg.jpg

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby Paradox » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:51 pm

Those models look really good! Thanks for finding the pictures, the Giant Dipper has such a great layout and location.
Last edited by Paradox on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:17 pm.
Is this a trick question?

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:31 pm

Ok, this is awesome!I am excited about 3 things with this post. First, I have heard so many stories from my family about the Pike and the Cyclone Racer, so I am beyond thrilled to hear that someone is possibly going to try and rebuild the ride. Is there any idea of location? Hopefully still in Long Beach. Second, I love the Big Dipper in Belmont. Its such an amazing wooden coaster, so I am very grateful to you for taking the time and energy to save the ride. I only wish it had better trains, lol. Third, another model! Models get EVERYONE excited about upcoming projects, and your attention to detail is second only to the actual ride your recreating. But, you have been working on the Airplane for quite some time (granted, some person issues). So, do you plan on going faster on this one? Cause you'd need it done for public viewing and such to get support.

And keep up the great work!!

Postby hillflyer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:53 pm

COASTER FREAK 11 wrote:Ok, this is awesome!I am excited about 3 things with this post. First, I have heard so many stories from my family about the Pike and the Cyclone Racer, so I am beyond thrilled to hear that someone is possibly going to try and rebuild the ride. Is there any idea of location? Hopefully still in Long Beach. Second, I love the Big Dipper in Belmont. Its such an amazing wooden coaster, so I am very grateful to you for taking the time and energy to save the ride. I only wish it had better trains, lol. Third, another model! Models get EVERYONE excited about upcoming projects, and your attention to detail is second only to the actual ride your recreating. But, you have been working on the Airplane for quite some time (granted, some person issues). So, do you plan on going faster on this one? Cause you'd need it done for public viewing and such to get support.

And keep up the great work!!

Thanks! I've been excited about the Cyclone Racer project for quite a while. I'm just finding what stage its in. Larry tells me there are some studies, plans to have approved, and investors, then of course, permission to build it. He already has an enthused builder on the side lines. Larry has been working hard to keep it in Long Beach in the neighborhood of its old location. But he swears if it gets rejected, he's taking it across the country until someone builds it.

Larry is keeping guard over his plans so I'll have to do my own research, but he figured out the Cyclone Racer just by looking at photos, which is the same for what I did with the Airplane, so I'm sure they'll be a close match. The Airplane was difficult to build. I'd like to think this will be easier because there's fewer whirlpools and more straight-aways but...we'll see.

The Saving the GIANT Dipper was the greatest thing I've ever done. For your nice message, here is a spoiler of how I am gridding the ride so I can survey it.
CR model A west.jpg
CR model OR last ride.jpg
CR Model OR A.jpg

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Kahne77 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:14 pm

I would love to see this ride built again. I've heard nothing but good things about it and I love the one in Santa Cruz and San Diego. Hope this get's built.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Kahne77 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:15 pm

I would love to see this ride built again. I've heard nothing but good things about it and I love the one in Santa Cruz and San Diego. Hope this get's built.

Postby hillflyer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:44 pm

A really good profile shot. I determined the FULL length, tip to tip is 550 feet. That's 9'-4" long, two feet wide, and 18 inches tall (measured from the top of the top ledger down to the top of the bottom ribbon board) With the top "start gates" and the added foot at the bottom, it will be more like 20".
CR model profile ideal.jpg
Last edited by hillflyer on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:31 am.

Next

Return to Roller Coaster Games, Models, and Other Randomness