CAD Ride Models

To 3D Print!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Upload files from No Limits, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc...
Discuss CoasterDynamix, KNEX Models, and more random stuff!
Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Re: CAD Ride Models

Postby Vigil » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:45 pm

Yeah 3D printing is not particularly fast. It works by slicing the model into layers and extruding plastic to build them up one layer at a time. Unfortunately, that usually takes hours.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:46 am

I can't wait to see the final product!!
Bigger is not always better.

Postby Vigil » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:36 am

Here are the printed parts! They have to sit in a bath for a little while to dissolve the support material.

20150801_111140.jpg

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:41 pm

Awesome!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Postby Vigil » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:09 am

Sorry for the delay! I was on vacation last week and didn't have a chance to dissolve the support material before I left. Here is a photo of the track pieces and supports. I decided that this model is only going to be a loop; this can be the test run. It's a lot bigger than I expected for a desktop model, and 3D printing the other parts of the Loch Ness Model would be kind of prohibitive at this size.

That said, it still does look pretty cool, and I hope to print a smaller version of the whole model soon. I should also have an update for this model pretty soon too! The second picture is just all the pieces balanced; nothing is glued yet.

20150810_110429.jpg

20150810_121359.jpg

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby GCI Wooden » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:01 pm

Wow, looks awesome! After seeing how well this turned out, I'm excited to see more! =)
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:08 pm

Looks amazing!! Makes me want to go buy a 3D printing machine!! Great job!

Postby viking86 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:03 am

That looks awesome! How is the surface of the model?

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby kcurry11 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:16 am

Someone suggested a Goliath, I am currently working (just started about 2 hours ago) on a model. Obviously I am missing a lot (cross ties, handrail, the step on the two columns), but I will do those soon. I am not sure if this will be able to be 3D printed because of the small pieces on the inside, but hopefully it will be done in a couple days.
Goliath.JPG
Missing the large steps, as well as the track on the inversion, I am only going to do the track on the inversion, for simplicity's sake.
Goliath2.JPG
Goliath3.JPG
Need to detail these a little more, but that will come later!
1.Maverick 2.Banshee 3.Millennium Force 4.Goliath (SFGAM) 5.Diamondback 6.The Beast 7.Kraken 8.Montu 9.Dragons Challenge 10.Magnum XL200

Postby Vigil » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:51 am

^Nice! That look really cool! What program are you using?

The model's surface isn't a super nice finish. Because the printers print the model layer by layer, the orientation of the part plays a large role in the surface finish. In the xy plane, you can get perfect circles because the resolution in those directions is very small. The z resolution is much more limited, so printing a circle in that direction will result in a less-than-deal print because of the layers (particularly in smaller circles with high curvature). Hopefully the picture below helps a bit. Anyway, because the shape is so complicated there really is any great way to print them, so some parts are better than others. There is a way to smooth it out using an acetone vapor bath (which melts the surface of the model giving it a glossy look), but I haven't ever used it and was nervous to try because it will get rid of small details and some of the pieces are really small (like the crossties).

Anyway, I also made the drop on Griffon! Once school starts I'll hopefully have much better access to the printers and be able to work on it more often.
3D Printing.png
So if you were to print a cylinder, you could print it in one of two orientations. Option A would be preferable because you get a perfect circle in the direction that matters. Option B results in an approximate circle because the resolution is not as good. Because the loop changes orientation there wasn't really an optimal way to print it from a structural standpoint (though I realized later that the crossties are very weak because of how I printed them), so I just minimized material and time. The supports ideal orientation is vertical (like A) but I actually printed them in B to save time and material. The curvature is also large enough that it doesn't make much of a difference either.
Griffon Drop.PNG

PreviousNext

Return to Roller Coaster Games, Models, and Other Randomness