[RCT3] Kirkmen Island 1974- Six Flags American Adventure?!

The Baltimore Sun Reports....
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Upload files from No Limits, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc...
Discuss CoasterDynamix, KNEX Models, and more random stuff!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

[RCT3] Kirkmen Island 1974- Six Flags American Adventure?!

Postby blk_mamba » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:38 pm

Kirkmen Island
Post 1 and 2

I got this in the mail a few weeks ago.

I guess they did a mass mailing in Baltimore, MD. I remember going to the Kirkmen Family boardwalk as a child but it was not nearly as developed. I remember it was more of a typical beach boardwalk with a few rides. Looks like they have some pretty nice rides and a pricey hotel. Unlimited rides for one price seems enticing for me and my family but that hotel might be out of our price range.

So we took a trip to the park for a day and snapped a few pictures (Trip Report)

When we got to the park it was certainly packed! The park has a boardwalk feel to it but not nearly as developed as the Ocean City Maryland boardwalk

The first ride we got on was the Observation Tower. My littlest one has been talking about that tower since he saw the flyer. It gave us great views of the park, the beach, the new hotel and most importantly White Lightening

We made our way to the end of the boardwalk and there it was in all its glory, White Lightening! The line was long but it was worth the wait! It was a very intense twister wooden coaster. I felt like I could not tell if I was coming or going after I got off the ride!

After riding White Lightening we took it pretty easy for the rest of the day and spent the rest of our time at the aquarium.

:) Overall it was a great day! The Jones family will be back! :)
Last edited by blk_mamba on Thu May 19, 2016 8:08 pm.

Re: [RCT3] Kirkmen Island

Postby blk_mamba » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:50 am

Our newest attraction, Shute the Breeze hoist riders over 15 stories in the air before drop them giving the feeling that they are parachuting to the ground. This is sure to be a ride that the whole family will love!

Also new this year are Canoes on the beach front so people can paddle around the beach and get a view of the park from the water as well as a good upper body cardio work out.

At Kirkmen Island we like to think that we take our guest concern very seriously and one issue we noticed from our park goers was they would complain that they were hungry and thirsty despite having two places where our guest could eat drink and shop.

We heard the complaints and listened!

New for 67' two new places to eat drink and shop!
The first one is our first sit down restaurant at Kirkmen Island, Tasty Burger, a great place to beat the heat, sit down and eat. Tasty Burger has delicious burgers, fries and handspun milkshakes in 10 flavors!

Also we have added another grab & go place to eat, Under the boardwalk, for those guest that want to grab a snack and get back to getting on rides.

Finally our top attraction White Lightning had some major upgrades, for starters we dropped the N so read Lightning, not LightENing. Is it by far the most popular thrill ride in the park. It always runs full trains and has a packed queue.

White Lightning is a coaster that we purchased used from another park that close down so the coaster was broken down and shipped to Kirkmen Island.

We want to make sure that White Lightning is safe and sturdy for years to come. Also Some people were concerned that the coaster swayed way to much so we added more supports, did some re-tracking and gave the coaster a new paint job.

Personally I think that the ride is more fun at night but day or night it is a thrilling roller coaster!

Re: [RCT3] Kirkmen Island New for 1968: Stallion!

Postby blk_mamba » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Fred again, When the Kirkmen family decided to make a commitment to an amusement park it was a gamble, and that gamble so far has paid off! For 1969 Kirkmen Island is seeing its biggest transformation ever with its largest capital improvements ever of close to $1,000,000!

First we have revamped the entrance!

With that flow of people coming to the park the old entrance was not cutting it, it led to long lines of people trying to get into the park, It was inefficient and minimalist at best!

For 1968 Kirkmen Island has a new entrance plaza that can handle the large summer crowds from Baltimore, DC and other surrounding areas with ease so guest can get straight to having fun at the park!

Guest Love taking pictures in front of our new modern entrance!

The park also added its first Midway with THREE NEW RIDES for 1968!

The first is STALLION, Kirkmen Island's SECOND major roller coaster! Stallion is an "Out and Back" wooden coaster that dominates the midway, designed and built buy the well respected Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters, Inc., A leader in world class attractions!

It is an out and back wooden coaster with an intense pretzel twist that is sure to leave guest disoriented.

There is also the Stallion Stable Gift Shop where there are tons things to buy, this customer looks like she is interested in a hat

Guest love the intimating Stallion Statue and it makes a great photo op!

Stallion is the crown jewel of the new midway but we also added two other first.

First a Big Wheel, which can hold over 100 people at a time!

Also new this year Kaos, a ride that will spin you senseless!

With all that, there looks like there is still more in the works.....

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: [RCT3] Kirkmen Island- New for 1968 STALLION!

Postby IronWolfman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:39 pm

I like the new wooden coaster, though I'd bank the turnaround. The Ferris Wheel looks good too. I hate to be a timeframe nazi, but the first Chance Chaos rides came about in 1996!

Re: [RCT3] 1969 Kirkmen Island- "Other Side of the Moon"

Postby blk_mamba » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:19 pm

Dear Mom and Dad,

I am having a great time at camp. I am making new friends and new memories. Today we went to Kirkmen Island and I hardly recognized the place! Their new Midway was so awesome! I took some pictures!The first ride up was "Other Side of the Moon", the parks first dark ride . It was scary and exciting at the same time.

The ride is themed around someone's response to America going to the Moon and placing the flag on THEIR planet. The ride is full of surprises.

We also rode this really tall roller coaster, Stallion. Even though it was tall and fast my favorite part was towards the end where it bunny hops under the station. I definitely watched my head!

We stayed at the park until it got dark. Here is picture of me in front of the Shipwreck ride on the boardwalk. They have great places to take photos.

A "friend" won me a foam finger at the ring toss game, it took him 3 tries but he was determined.

We ended the night at the final new major addition to the Midway, The Midway Diner. They serve typical diner food, nothing spectacular but after a long day in the park a nice meal in an air conditioned building was great!

Over all it was a good time. Kirkmen Island was a blast. I'll keep writing, and taking my vitamins and eating my vegetables.

XOXO Love,
One Happy Camper

Re: [RCT3] 1969 Kirkmen Island- The Big Announcement

Postby blk_mamba » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:07 pm

The paper printed a copy of the Indian Trail Mine Train layout, and it looks like it will a monster of a ride!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: [RCT3] 1969 Kirkmen Island- The BIG Announcement

Postby MIAfan88 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:10 pm

Frontier Village looks like a great addition to the park.

[RCT3] 1969 Kirkmen Island-Frontier Village (under construct

Postby blk_mamba » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Kirkmen Island is celebrating another great season! After a two year expansion The Midway is complete and it has been a great addition to the park. Attendance has significantly increased as a result and the park is growing into a place that is drawing guest from all across the state.

Frontier Village should increase the park’s profile, adding the parks 3rd roller coaster, Indian Trail Mine Train. After the big announcement the park has wasted no time to get the Frontier Village ready for its opening on Memorial Day 1970.

Since the announcement trucks have been dropping off track pieces and construction materials for the expansion project.

The bridge to connect Frontier Village to rest of the park is almost complete and ahead of schedule. The final plans calls for the bridge to connect Frontier Village to the rest of the park by going under the Shute the Breeze ride and through the Under the Boardwalk food court

Construction crews are also working on the tunnel that the Indian Trail Mine Train will use to go under the entrance. It requires digging and fortifying the tunnel.

The ride is coming together well and the tallest part of the ride is topped off and the station is almost complete.

Thought this has been the third year in a row the park has made a big investment it is a gamble the park is willing to take!

Re: [RCT3] 1970 Kirkmen Island-OPENING DAY of Frontier Villa

Postby blk_mamba » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:15 pm

The Kirkmen family is very excited to finally cut the ribbon on Frontier Village after months of waiting since the initial announcement of the major expansion. Hundreds of anxious park goers lined up over the newly installed bridge waiting for the next section of the park to be opened and after the official ceremony they all rushed Frontier Village!

The star of the day was clearly the Indian Trails Mine Train! The ride had long lines all day!

Indian Trails Mine Train waste no time dropping thrill seekers immediately into a series of tight curves and turns before the lift hill. The folks at Arrow Dynamics are very proud of this custom design created just for the Kirkmen Island.

Another interesting fact the longest drop in the ride is not the first drop but the last daring drop under the entrance of Frontier Village. Thrill seekers are already raving about near miss element as the train dives into an underground tunnel.

[RCT3] 1970 Kirkmen Island-The Jones Family Returns

Postby blk_mamba » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:34 am

After not visiting the park for a few years my family decided to visit Kirkmen Island for this summer because they have been heavily advertising their park expansion, Frontier Village. We hardly recognized the place because of all the major upgrades!

Last time we were here the park only had a very sparse entrance now they have this grand entrance plaza. It shows the park is serious about becoming a major regional player. The entrance was a great place to take our family vacation group photo!

The Boardwalk was the only part of the park that felt familiar b/c much has not changed since our first visit besides the new signs where the guest use to enter the park.

White Lightning was just as twisty as I remember it, I got this cool post card from the gift shop.

Frontier Village is literally at the far end of the park but it was worth the walk. I love the mine train theme. The roller coaster is action packed from start to finish. That last helix really glues you to your seat!

We made it to the Midway later in the day and it was really a great time. KAOS really made my stomach hurt, too much spinning, great to look at though.

Other Side of the Moon was easier on my stomach but just as scary! When the robot looking monster tries to warn us of "evil up ahead" he meant it.

Stallion was my favorite ride of the day, I loved the crazy airtime. I felt like I was out of my seat the entire time!

Next

Return to Roller Coaster Games, Models, and Other Randomness