TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT3] Roanoke Hills Amusement Park

So I have started a new park; I have decided to set it so far in the early 1970s and will continue onwards. I have used a starter park - Vodhin's Generic Park 1 - since I have not played in a very long while. Hence why the entrance is just the normal park entrance used in RCT3; I might go back and change that later if it's possible.

New Beginnings

Year: 1970

Hello all, my name is Stan Johnson and I am the park manager for Roanoke Hills Amusement Park. We are located in Roanoke County, Virginia near the Appalachians, and currently are a family oriented park with goals for expansion. Right now we don't have many rides; just a small roller coaster as well as a carousel, Ferris wheel, and a few other flat rides, but we hope to add on to that and continue an outstanding level of service and fun for the community!

As you see, we have just opened and guests are streaming in! This is a good sign as we are a new park and the more popular it is, the better the park will be.

This is our first and so far only roller coaster here. Happy Mountain is a Wacky Worm type ride that we have bought new; it wasn't cheap, but plenty of guests will be flocking to it for sure.

Little Jumper and Catapult are great thrill rides we have received used. They needed some sprucing up, but are looking fantastic and are proving to be a hit.

Behind Catapult are our two main eateries; Market Fresh Goods and Center Street Eats. The kitchen in Market Fresh Goods produces food for both it and Center Street, and from what I heard they are delicious.

And right when we open the Carousel breaks down! This was an older model from 1945, so it isn't at all surprising but I hope this doesn't become a portent for things to come.

Edited by Generic Name

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely, a park to compete with Valley Hills.

Overall, things look well. Market Fresh Goods and Center Street Eats have that classic old-fashion, small-town amusement park feel to them. There's character in that architecture.

However, the Happy Mountain and Little Jumper models didn't exist until 1977 and late 1990's respectively.

Lovely, a park to compete with Valley Hills.

Overall, things look well. Market Fresh Goods and Center Street Eats have that classic old-fashion, small-town amusement park feel to them. There's character in that architecture.

However, the Happy Mountain and Little Jumper models didn't exist until 1977 and late 1990's respectively.

Ssh, they're prototypes that were built by time traveling aliens. In seriousness though the frog hopper was used to fill in a 2x2 hole near Catapult; I'll try to find something that size to fill it in that is time appropriate. As for the Wacky Worm, I thought there were some older versions prior to the one listed on RCDB. I guess I'll just say "screw it we have the first one ".

Continuing on. Removed the frog hopper for a 2x2 space ring. I'm sure those existed back in the day since it's 3 steel rings interconnected, and if they didn't, well, they do in this reality.

Further Growth

Year: 1971

Stan Johnson here, bringing you more updates on the park. We've had a great first year here at Roanoke Hills. The crowds have been excellent despite the lousy weather we had, and the park is growing quite considerably! There is some big news coming up as well.

A round up ride, Rotor, had been purchased from a carnival operator and subsequently installed. Sorry for the poor photo; it was raining very hard when I took it. This ride here is a portable model, which is a good thing should we need to move it for whatever reason.

Highway 81 is our new Bumper Cars ride. Everyone loves these rides so there is no reason not to have one.

Little Jumper was taken out. Rumor has it that the park owners "didn't like it." Whatever the case is, it's been replaced by a space ring.

Even though it's small and is a family attraction, Happy Mountain still has some hidden surprises. I was taken aback by the laterals on this thing! They weren't painful, but the coaster packs a bigger punch than expected.

This large building houses two very important operations. On the bottom floor is the more upscale restaurant The Red Shutters, while above it hosts our park operations. This was vital since we were conducting operations from outside the park, and that was barely feasible.

I even get an office! And there's something over there in the distance; looks like new coaster track! Happy Mountain won't be the only coaster in the park anymore, but the owners are staying quiet on what type it even is.

I am in LOVE with what you've done with Highway 81. The queue building and foliage look fantastic!

Also, that space ring look like it has terrible capacity. Is it an up-charge?

Anyways, I think this may be an Arrow looper of some-kind.

I am in LOVE with what you've done with Highway 81. The queue building and foliage look fantastic!

Also, that space ring look like it has terrible capacity. Is it an up-charge?

Anyways, I think this may be an Arrow looper of some-kind.

It would be an upcharge. Also, keep in mind this is 1971, so no loopers yet.

It might be an Arrow, or it could be something else entirely different.

A Major Step Forward

Year: September 1971

Roanoke Hills Newsletter

- John Ucess

Roanoke Hills is gearing up for 1972! In addition to 3 new thrill rides, we have come to announce our new coaster, Jet Setter! This coaster, designed by Meisho Amusement Machines in Japan, have come up with an exciting design that will provide buckets of fun and thrills for the whole family. This coaster will take advantage of the local topography, providing an experience not brought thus far currently. We have also signed several technical partnerships with Arrow Dynamics as well as Norfolk and Western Railway, to provide more exciting rides and to continuously improve our park.

Paratrooper is a new ride meant to simulate what sky divers feel when jumping from aircraft. I'd like to think the ride is the safer option!

Wave Swingers are a staple in many parks, and this one is no exception. This is a larger model, meaning we can accommodate more guests, meaning more fun.

This large ride is Zipper, which is best described as an unforgettable, disorienting experience! Riders travel in cages swinging upside down while the assembly rotates. You have to ride it to fully understand what it does!

Edited by Generic Name

Cleared for Takeoff!

Year: March 1972

Stan Johnson here! It's been two years since our opening, and to start it off we have completed our second roller coaster, a thrilling ride built by Meisho Amusement Machines of Japan! Jet Setter, as the ride is called, has been in our project list for a while so to have it completed is a real treat, and I am sure the guests will love it.

In addition to our fastest ride, it is one of our more intense rides, as well as being the tallest one in the park.

Here we see the ride being tested, just before park opening. Meisho's trains are quite comfortable, or so I have been told by the park employees who rode it before opening!

Some might think we went overboard on the station, but I disagree. We decided to call it the Jewelbox, from how it lights up at night.

In addition to Jet Setter, we purchased a used Eyerly Loop-O-Plane from a nearby carnival. After a bit of servicing, Sky Jumper is now ready for riders!

The grounds near Jet Setter are ripe for expansion. 1972 will most likely concentrate on more family oriented rides and environments, so keep on the watch!

I hate to be that guy but I'd love some more comments on the park! 50 some views since I last checked but no comments kinda make this hard to go forward, so please, comment away!

A Balancing Act

Year: September 1972

Stan Johnson here; it has been a very busy 1972 for us. With the introduction of Jet Setter, park attendance has quadrupled, bringing in much needed funds for building. The area to the west of the coaster has been completely transformed, turning from bare grassland to a nice, shaded family area. It also brought forward a new restaurant, which is aimed to be more affordable than the upscale Red Shutters.

Behind the scenes, the folks at Arrow Dynamics are working with us and Norfolk and Western to come up with a very thrilling ride. Several ideas have been bounced around, but we have been told to stay quiet. They did give us one clue: it will involve trains. Onto that, some pictures!

park.thumb.jpg.b6940ae76e257d277085953197e69b06.jpg

The new family area was a much welcome sight! I love how the park transplanted some large shade trees; that will definitely keep guests happy in the summer.

bigswings.thumb.jpg.3a3aca367c01e04010a27364785c7b9e.jpg

These large swings will be a huge draw to children. We have gotten complaints that we were not looking towards families and coupled with our mission to be as green as possible, we have come up with a terrific solution.

barn.thumb.jpg.da1a94446ff305aaa8aade2ad167ff90.jpg

This is The Barn, the second restaurant at Roanoke Hills. The second floor currently is empty but we are looking at ideas to either convert it to a meeting floor or as a dance room.

downrotor.thumb.jpg.632e18464bf6424c109c124826213b69.jpg

Rotor was recently closed, for supposedly a burnt out motor. We have been communicating with Hrubetz, the manufacturer, about sending over a new motor, but they want to send a worker out to check on the ride.

jettrain.thumb.jpg.79c8dcdc2442d1862f96ff69e8dd3aae.jpg

Jet Setter is definitely hauling though!