TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT2] Frontier Forest - Spring 2005 Quick Update

Hello everybody! Recently I began the daunting task of beginning an RCT2 timeline project, titled Frontier Forest. Before I begin on updates, let me warn you on a few things...

1) My RCT2 skills are very limited, but I will do the very best I can given my ability

2) I will not be using ANY trainers no matter what. Please do not tell me to use them, I have tried and failed many times

3) I may occasionally provide "quotes" from the "owner," or something along those lines. However, generally I will just explain the progress in my own words with screenshots.

4) The "timeline" begins in 1975- meaning 2014 is the 40th season. The project will also end at in-game 2014, year 40 (41 on screenshots, 1 year for park construction).

5) I greatly encourage feedback, it may become evident that I have no idea what I am doing at points. If you have a better idea, let me know and I will do my best to directly respond to you. I may also ask you for ideas/feedback. However, don't expect consistent updates. I don't sit at home playing RCT2 all day.

6) The goal of this project is to be realistic in two separate manners:

A) I am using in game money and have a max loan of $100,000. Real parks don't have unlimited funds to build coasters every year.

B) I will only construct coasters in a realistic manner and time frame. In other words, I'm not going to build a B&M hyper in 1980.

On to the intro...

Frontier Forest was a former forest preservation area located in Virginia. The land was inherited, and in 1975 was converted to a family destination providing a relaxing day in an effort to make adults and children alike feel as though they are no longer bound by the stresses of the world. How was the name chosen? It's a forest, for one, and it is a secluded area previously uninhabited in a 25 mile radius until recently. With all the industrialization and construction in the modern world, there is very little area in the country so secluded and "separate." As a result of this...

The township has placed two separate height restrictions: a 100 ft "soft" restriction, and a 200 ft "hard" restriction, meaning no attraction can top 200 ft, and any attraction over 100 ft must be approved by the township.

On top of that, all expansions must be approved to prevent excessive tree removal due to the site's history as a wildlife preserve.

The owner had plans for at least 15 attractions to open with the park, including two roller coasters. However, due to time and budget constraints, only 8 surfaced in 1975, which include a Sky Ride, a Log Flume, and an Arrow Mine Train roller coaster, running 3 trains to handle the expected crowds.

The owner promises at least one new ride, show, or attraction each year to retain lasting interest in Frontier Forest.

SCR306.jpg.dcf0e2e355cc9cf14b2c88546c00214f.jpg

This is an overview of the 200 acre plot in 1974, the beginning of park construction

SCR307.jpg.7486dd8153c44dadb44ccdd6d7ae742d.jpg

Overview on opening day, May 15, 1975

Most of the landscaping and many buildings were not complete in time for opening due to construction delays, permits, and under-budgeting

SCR308.jpg.3fc0c73210377020eb52bc51466cebe7.jpg

Two of the parks' highlight attractions, Timber Mill Mine Train, a 1975 Arrow Mine Train, and the Log Flume, a 1975 Arrow log flume skimming through the treetops

SCR312.jpg.54cef4a74388a1e7d135fac233437973.jpg

By September, much of the landscaping was complete, with only the main entrance lacking buildings, which will be constructed when the time and budget arise

SCR313.jpg.0cdb7cf4652711dfc7bfe2a9daefe2e9.jpg

A final image of the park in 1975. If you look closely, you can see a construction fence by the Big Wheel and Scrambler. Possibly a new attraction for 1976?

Edited by Password121

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm already loving it! The station for the mine train coaster is very well built. The skyway reminds me a lot of Cedar Point....I'm assuming that Frontier Forest is going to be a coaster paradise? And seeing as how Frontier Forest is located in Virginia....they're going to have some competition

Ah! I'm really glad that someone is playing RCT2 instead of RCT3! I like your comment before the screenshots, it really blew me away! I,m crossing my fingers over this! The arrow mine train looks fabulous! Other than that! Everything is godly perfect!

You're off to a pretty good start.

The station design for both your log flume and mine train is really nice. Great job on those. I'd suggest working around with the terrain on your mine train. The supports are fairly ugly and it is best to keep them minimized by keeping those coasters as terrain coasters for the most part. I would also suggest placing your stalls into buildings rather than leaving them out in the open like that.

Overall, you are heading in the right direction and your park definitely intrigues me. Nice work.

Ah! I'm really glad that someone is playing RCT2 instead of RCT3! I like your comment before the screenshots, it really blew me away! I,m crossing my fingers over this! The arrow mine train looks fabulous! Other than that! Everything is godly perfect!

Thanks for the comment! I'm hoping to do quality work with a decent and realistic storyline above all. And I've always preferred RCT2 over all other versions.

You're off to a pretty good start.

The station design for both your log flume and mine train is really nice. Great job on those. I'd suggest working around with the terrain on your mine train. The supports are fairly ugly and it is best to keep them minimized by keeping those coasters as terrain coasters for the most part. I would also suggest placing your stalls into buildings rather than leaving them out in the open like that.

Overall, you are heading in the right direction and your park definitely intrigues me. Nice work.

Funny, the supports were the one thing I was fooling around with before submitting the first update, but decided to only do the supports over the pond to start out. Do you think it would look better to use the in-game wooden supports as well as eliminating every other support along with terrain use to fix this? I'll play around with it in the near future. Also, I'm well aware of the building issue. I'll soon be working on encasing them in buildings and possibly a food court. Same goes for entrance buildings- season passes, souvenirs, etc. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for the criticism- I think you'll like what I do in the next few "years."

I'm already loving it! The station for the mine train coaster is very well built. The skyway reminds me a lot of Cedar Point....I'm assuming that Frontier Forest is going to be a coaster paradise? And seeing as how Frontier Forest is located in Virginia....they're going to have some competition

Thank you! I may occasionally borrow some design ideas from real parks, but I will do my best to customize it.

As for now, I will tell you I have tentative plans/dates for coming attractions, but nothing is set in stone. A lot will depend on how the scenario goes. I will tell you that the park may evolve through the years, but it certainly will not become a modern day SFMM in a good way, if that makes sense.

Hello again! Today I was working on modifying the support system for the Mine Train- a 1975 Arrow Mine Train. Remember how I said I may ask you guys for help on occasion? Yeah, this is one of those times. Now, it may seem easier just to use the Arrow multi-looper track along with trainers for a different train style, creating nice steel supports (See Runaway Mine Train- SFGadv). However, I'm not going to use trainers, so that's out o the question. I'm going for a similar look as Cedar Point's Mine Ride's supports- a kind of wooden trestle. My attempt was kind of choppy, but let me know what you think/any suggestions. Also, molemaster43 recommended that I use the terrain to eliminate parts of the supports, which I considered (and may end up doing if this looks horrible), but it is extremely costly to raise that much land (I also have tentative plans to utilize the surrounding area in the future, making flat land necessary).

SCR317.jpg.cf7e7a767fd6d8416a8be98042650d52.jpg

Overview of layout/supports

SCR318.jpg.840ddb8e8c29b65343efe6ada25cc0c0.jpg

Lift hill/turnaround and supports

SCR319.jpg.96f44a3e706b20ba701751e9424bc9d9.jpg

Closeup of station/nearby supports

Those supports look much better! I like your park, it has pretty good scenery and what rides you do have look very nice. But that brings me to my only issue with the park, it is lacking in attractions. I know it is explained, but 8 is still pretty small for the park's current used area. Luckily we all know that more attractions will show up over the years, so this issue will be resolved. Keep up the good work!

Very nice, but how exactly would that transfer table work? You may want to redesign it as right now it would be impossible to transfer a train to or from the storage tracks.

Hah! I was waiting for someone to notice that. I got a little lazy and was rushing to get the park open before too late in-game. I'll see what I can do.

Hello everybody! We just wrapped up the 1976 season at Frontier Forest, and it was an exciting one! 1976 saw the addition of the Antique Cars, a family ride in which guests take a relaxing drive through a 2 acre plot. Just as construction wrapped up and the ride opened, a construction fence was spotted on two sides bordering the ride. In other news, some minor improvements by the Mine Train, including a more realistic transfer track per request, as well as one of many coming renovations to some food/drink stands. Let me know what you think and give me some feedback! That's all for '76.

SCR320.jpg.5f1070a9b5cdb16bf40b21be4bd49b9f.jpg

Antique Cars as well as a construction fence(s). Could this area look even more different in the near future?

SCR323.jpg.d6626406f4b84d7426fbb29e7cb72250.jpg

Updates by the Mine Train. No, it's not perfect, but I did the best I could given my poor pre-planning ability with the transfer shed space issues

SCR324.jpg.15d1ae22841e6fd4526b47b21591db60.jpg

Hmm... the most popular ride to date is the Sky Ride? After that, to no surpsrise, is the Mine Train- a fan favorite

SCR325.jpg.126407f897feb0958c4f6a2f705c3a9c.jpg

I'll leave you with a final image of the 1976 expansion- but could more be coming?

Two updates in one day! In comes 1977, along with Enterprise, which is exactly what it sounds like- a HUSS Enterprise. This thrilling flat ride opened up along with an extension of the midway past Antique Cars.

Enterprise wasn't the biggest news of the year, however. The largest construction zone ever spotted at Frontier Forest was placed mid-year.

Also, some VERY exciting news from Frontier Forest: Beginning in 1979, Frontier Forest will become the flagship property of Frontier Entertainment Company, Inc. with the opening of a sister park and separate-gate water park located in eastern Pennsylvania.

"We are ecstatic to announce the future opening of Frontier Lake, a combination theme park and water park which will be located in Pennsylvania. With the success Frontier Forest has enjoyed and the excitement it has created, we are just as excited to bring that enjoyment just a short road-trip away in the beautiful state of Pennsylvania."

"We are dedicated to continue improving and expanding Frontier Forest in the coming years. There will still be a huge focus here at Frontier Forest, and we will strive to provide families a relaxing day to enjoy themselves and feel as if they are in another world."

Frontier Lake will open in the Spring of 1979.

Back at Frontier Forest, we look back at 1977.

SCR326.jpg.929a43566a6ac793e48e922c78cd0792.jpg

New for 1977 is Enterprise

SCR327.jpg.6b2d4913f4a6e7611c2e7ac68834ffe7.jpg

This fence has created a lot of buzz in hopes of a major new attraction in 1978

SCR328.jpg.a8affda188ddb00115e7c887eae5d393.jpg

I will leave you with a final image from 1977. I can assure you that this will look very different come next Spring.

The more I look at the layout of the mine train it's really very good. It reminds me a bit of the one at Great Adventure which I'm sure isn't a coincidence but that's a good thing.

One thought I had is that the Skyride stations should really have little shops under them (like the one at Cedar Point). When you walk in the main gate you'll be greeted with a large red building with nothing in it until you walk all the way around.. A little shop or something built into the existing structure would be a lot more inviting.

The more I look at the layout of the mine train it's really very good. It reminds me a bit of the one at Great Adventure which I'm sure isn't a coincidence but that's a good thing.

One thought I had is that the Skyride stations should really have little shops under them (like the one at Cedar Point). When you walk in the main gate you'll be greeted with a large red building with nothing in it until you walk all the way around.. A little shop or something built into the existing structure would be a lot more inviting.

The main entrance will be addressed sooner rather than later. There certainly are ideas to make it a little more inviting, and I'll take this into consideration.

I will not be making any more updates until the first week of August. I'm heading out of town tomorrow, so don't expect anything for about two weeks.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a (long awaited) look back at the 1978 season at Frontier Forest.

New for 1978 was Forest Flyer- an out and back William Cobb wooden coaster. Standing 75 feet tall and reaching speeds of 48 mph, this traditional coaster is the tallest attraction in the park and travels through the densely wooded forest. Designed with families in mind, everyone can enjoy this airtime packed wooden coaster, and they did just that- Forest Flyer opened to great reviews and instantly became one of the most popular rides in the park. Forest Flyer entertained over 1 million riders in 1978 over its 2,500+ feet of track.

The addition of Forest Flyer bumped attendance to record levels in Frontier Forest's 4 year history. Over 800,000 guests passed through the turnstiles in 1978.

SCR329.jpg.cd1ca5919b3d5e9277737c24c2d0a3ec.jpg

The red train crests the 75-foot lift hill of Forest Flyer before plummeting 70 feet at a 50 degree angle

SCR331.jpg.dc4a511943a854adceabf8ccd13ebcfa.jpg

The blue train hits the brakes and returns to the station

SCR332.jpg.0fdab0b21563518e2e781cc1a7b5c2fb.jpg

Another full train of happy riders begins the half mile circuit

SCR333.jpg.fab764a8ffe722a085b8330742fa4bbc.jpg

Hmm... a new construction fence by the Swan Boats behind the Log Flume. Watch your step!

SCR334.jpg.dba29a7f320f40d989187fc849e7efa4.jpg

The main entrance... nothing to see here. Moving on...

SCR335.jpg.c0dcdb440180e56c3aa82709cdca5f11.jpg

A final image of Frontier Forest from 1978. See you next year- maybe at Frontier Lake's opening day?

The wooden coaster looks pretty nice. I just hope the train isn't going too fast into those final two turns right before the brake run.

Before you post your photos, I suggest using a cropping service to crop out the top and bottom bars of the screen. The pictures should look much nicer then. Interested in the next update.

Nice thought of an 70,s Wooden Coaster! Also it makes me think of Judge Roy Scream from Six Flags Over Texas!

Thank you! Judge Roy was a major inspiration for the design of Frontier Flyer.

The wooden coaster looks pretty nice. I just hope the train isn't going too fast into those final two turns right before the brake run.

Before you post your photos, I suggest using a cropping service to crop out the top and bottom bars of the screen. The pictures should look much nicer then. Interested in the next update.

At that point, a full train is traveling just over 30 mph. It hasn't been an issue in terms of g's at this point, but as coasters age, there are always possibilities of alterations (trims, etc).

Thanks for the tip on cropping. I'll look into it.

I think the next update will make you as well as many park visitors very pleased.

Nice wooden coaster, a great coaster for the park!

Thank you!

Thank you for commenting, I am always looking for feedback!