TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT3] Topaz Park - ON INDEFINITE HOLD

Hi there! My name is Kevin, aka YoshiCraft2011. This here is Topaz Park, a family park I have been working on using RCT3. Here's a quick navigation page, which acts as a great summary and, well, quick navigation.

Russ Ewart's Trip Report (see below)

Craig Spencer's Tour

Foliage for '77

Craig Spencer's Boardwalk Preview

Sandra Stevens' Trip Report

Twisted Beehive, Boardwalk Eats Announced

Craig Spencer's New Additions Update

Article from The Salt Lake Times

1980 Ride Teaser

Another 1980 Ride Teaser

Ocean: The Ride Announced, Buffet USA To Close

Herbert Jere's Trip Report

Craig Spencer's 1980 Tour

Forest Market Announced, Ferris Wheel To Be Re-Located

Mike Spencer's 1981 Preview

Deven Ackerman's Trip Report

Mike Spencer's 1982 Tour

New Ride Details Leaked

Sink!, Annual Pass Announced

A Souvenir Booklet

1984 Ride Teaser

Bumper Boats, Lake Topaz Twister, The Gull Announced

Jack Stevens' Trip Report

original first page contents

14461182406_6f64a07f09_o.png

----

June 1976

Russ Ewart, Visitor

I remember going to Topaz Park back when it opened in 1961. It was part of a day trip. I haven't been to the park ever since. After graduating college, one of my friends wanted me to go to Utah and visit the park once again. I was going to that area during a business trip, so I decided to spend a few hours there.

I arrived at the park at around 4:30 P.M., noticing a different skyline. There were several rides I don't remember seeing. After parking my car, I paid the $14.99 admission fee.

14297665429_80c9464558_o.png

This is new to me. An information center is now here after you pass through the gates. There's information booths and an ATM. I find it very useful because I got a park map right after entering the park. However, it could be more attractive.

The first ride I rode on was the Beehive. It's the big, wooden roller coaster. My friend said that it was the best ride in the park.

14297651879_6ef78f6025_o.png

Overall, it's a really great ride! Although it's a bit rough in some areas, the coaster had some great hills and banked turns.

14480887971_bfa5aa3e18_o.png

These were the go-karts. Now that I'm a grown man, these go-karts don't really appeal to me. I passed on this one.

Soon, it started to become dark. Even though the park closes at midnight, I didn't want to stay for too long.

14483055454_633ecb04ca_o.png

This was the path that lead to most of the rides. The path was just concrete, but there were plenty of trees surrounding it.

14480898441_750e52832d_o.png

My map had an advertisement on the front advertising The Rocky Mountain Elk, which was their looping coaster. It sounded insane, so I had to ride it.

14297658619_7c4f4ef45d_o.png

This was the best thing I have ever rode on. It has lots of twists and turns, plenty of hills, and a loop. On top of that, one section goes through the loop. Definitely give it a try.

14484279045_31f2f55b41_o.png

After surviving that coaster, I decided to ride the Topaz Whip. It was an enjoyable ride! The ride was rather tame, but the cars were swinging around everywhere. It also seemed quite fast.

14297657969_e07da005de_o.png

Finally, I rode on Skydive. It's an excellent way to have a nice view of the park. Very nice indeed.

14483021852_e57701ac2f_o.png

This is the Alpine Cafe. I remember having some hot chocolate here back in '61.

14297645360_f6936013f6_o.png

The interior is very relaxed. I ordered a cookie and some coffee. Both were very, very tasty.

After a few hours of enjoying the park, it was time for me to get back to my hotel. Before I left, though, I grabbed this postcard from the souvenir shop.

14484266135_a86d887dce_o.png

Edited by YoshiCraft2011

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice start to Topaz park, it has a small collection of rides that suits this park well. Topaz Park has that 'small park' vibe to it, small and country-like, yet still feels roomy. Try adding some more pizzazz to your paths; borders & benches would easily do the trick. This park has limitless potential, and would look even better with a few more flats.

Looking great!

Edited by JonnyRCT3

Loving the way this park looks! I too think it has that certain small park charm with big potential! I also agree that you should add some bordering to your paths! Other than that... fantastic job! Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see more!

Nice start to Topaz park, it has a small collection of rides that suits this park well. Topaz Park has that 'small park' vibe to it, small and country-like, yet still feels roomy. Try adding some more pizzazz to your paths; borders & benches would easily to the trick. This park has limitless potential, and would look even better with a few more flats.

Looking great!

Loving the way this park looks! I too think it has that certain small park charm with big potential! I also agree that you should add some bordering to your paths! Other than that... fantastic job! Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see more!

Thanks guys for the positive feedback! I will try to address the path issue in the 1977 update.

----

September 1976

Craig Spencer, Park Manager

My name is Craig Spencer. I have been the manager here at Topaz Park since 1971. Since then, I have tried to make this small amusement park more noticeable by adding new rides and facilities. It's my day off today, so I decided to just walk around the park.

14485347632_8b8b0fd3fe_o.png

This section of the park is where the restaurants and the souvenir shop is located. We plan to add path borders during the off-season in order to make things more appealing.

14299969089_21c3fbaee7_o.png

This is the Alpine Cafe. It opened along with the park in 1961. I'm not trying to be biased, but the coffee here is excellent. It's too bad that there's not much of a crowd.

14299970189_169dc0bdbd_o.png

This is Buffet U.S.A., a buffet restaurant serving typical American cuisine. Unfortunately, almost no one seems to be interested. It might be because it's a buffet and the food is mediocre at best. Hopefully, the buffet will serve better food in the future.

14485344242_b15c21080f_o.png

It's a shame that there's not much people in the buffet. This was one of our park's big investments for this year, along with The Rocky Mountain Elk. The cashier at the deli counter said, "The only good thing about this job is being paid for doing nothing."

14483207461_b6cb18c14f_o.png

Over here is the souvenir shop. It sells t-shirts, postcards, and other knick knacks.

14463480446_3aea8bf99d_o.png

Moving on, this is an image of the path where most of the rides are. Again, path edges will be added during the off-season.

14506713423_2038620089_o.png

This is our Rotor, one of Topaz Park's most popular rides. The tube inside the ride spins so fast that the riders stick to the wall because of the g-forces. It was built by Anglo Rotor Corporation and opened in 1973.

14300147347_774185ded8_o.png

Another popular ride here is the Topaz Whip. Riders are "whipped" around the shed in cars. It's a tame ride, but people seem to like it a lot. This ride was donated to us from another park. It opened here in 1974.

14300003858_867e0f992d_o.png

This is our Merry-Go-Round. It's a pain in the butt for our maintenance personnel to service. The ride was built by our park and opened in 1961. It's been unreliable since then.

14300004358_07dcf3bc10_o.png

This is our ferris wheel. It gives you some okay views of the park, but the pine trees block your view. This ride was built by the Eli Bridge Company and opened in 1965.

After all of that walking, I went to a nearby airport. One of my partners was there. We were going to have a helicopter ride around the park.

14299956840_393941ba0d_o.png

As we approached the park, we saw the Beehive roller coaster. It's a fun ride filled with twists and turns. It was built by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company and opened in 1969. There's also a go-kart ride, which opened at around the same time.

14486583765_d3a86442a4_o.png

This is The Rocky Mountain Elk, our new coaster for 1976. It's a new, state-of-the-art looping coaster. This ride was designed by both our ride manager and Anton Schwarzkopf. Although the Revolution at Magic Mountain opened first, we still have one of the first looping coasters in the west.\

14300003178_f5b985b305_o.png

As day turned into night, it started to rain. I snapped a picture of Skydive, our Vekoma parachute drop. It opened in 1974 and is one of our more popular rides.

14486580335_02a2e28cf0_o.png

This is an old boardwalk. It was originally part of the old Lake Topaz facility. We plan to do something with this area over the next couple of years.

A few notes I'd like to make

Food

Overall, I find that this park has top-notch food vendors, especially considering it's size and age. Buffet U.S.A. is a nice sit-down buffet with a decent atmosphere. Alpine Cafe also is another notable eatery. Although I do wonder if this park offers any typical park food; Funnel cakes, pizza, cotton candy?

Flats

Rotor fits into this park well (it's actually a decent in-game flat that goes good with almost anything). The Merry-Go-Round is ideal for a park like this - wonderful choice. Although, I do wish to see some more foliage around the bases of some flats, particularly MGR & Ferris wheel. Some bushes and shrubs, along with path edges (which you've already mentioned the park is working on for next season) would make the rides look more appealing. Well, at least in a visual aspect.

Topaz Whip really reinforces the park as a family-day destination (well, that's how it seems to me). That's a excellent CS piece, and looks stunning inside Topaz Park. Skydive is an'iconic' attraction for the park, and is placed well to give excellent panoramic views.

Coasters

Beehive. I know this is your park, but I personally find the multiple parts about this ride unnecessary, wonky, and really out of place. I could re-profile this coaster for your if you'd like, to make it more realistic, as I find numerous issues with it. P.M. me if your interested.

Rocky Mountain Elk is a nice A.S. coaster, with a unique and twisted design. Although, the ground paint could use some diversity, and maybe a splash of foliage. This coaster could really benefit from some foliage, use the environment to your advantage!

Anyways, that was my very detailed opinion of this park so far. I do like the direction that the Boardwalk could take Topaz Park, and will be awaiting the next update.

A few notes I'd like to make

Food

Overall, I find that this park has top-notch food vendors, especially considering it's size and age. Buffet U.S.A. is a nice sit-down buffet with a decent atmosphere. Alpine Cafe also is another notable eatery. Although I do wonder if this park offers any typical park food; Funnel cakes, pizza, cotton candy?

Flats

Rotor fits into this park well (it's actually a decent in-game flat that goes good with almost anything). The Merry-Go-Round is ideal for a park like this - wonderful choice. Although, I do wish to see some more foliage around the bases of some flats, particularly MGR & Ferris wheel. Some bushes and shrubs, along with path edges (which you've already mentioned the park is working on for next season) would make the rides look more appealing. Well, at least in a visual aspect.

Topaz Whip really reinforces the park as a family-day destination (well, that's how it seems to me). That's a excellent CS piece, and looks stunning inside Topaz Park. Skydive is an'iconic' attraction for the park, and is placed well to give excellent panoramic views.

Coasters

Beehive. I know this is your park, but I personally find the multiple parts about this ride unnecessary, wonky, and really out of place. I could re-profile this coaster for your if you'd like, to make it more realistic, as I find numerous issues with it. P.M. me if your interested.

Rocky Mountain Elk is a nice A.S. coaster, with a unique and twisted design. Although, the ground paint could use some diversity, and maybe a splash of foliage. This coaster could really benefit from some foliage, use the environment to your advantage!

Anyways, that was my very detailed opinion of this park so far. I do like the direction that the Boardwalk could take Topaz Park, and will be awaiting the next update.

Wow, lots of feedback this time. At the moment, there are no food vendors that serve traditional amusement park foods. However, expect to see the Boardwalk Eats food court in a few years. I have added a variety of flowers and trees for this update, so there you go.

As for Beehive, I could use some advice on how to remodel it. It was just a thoughtless coaster that came into my mind. I do appreciate the positive feedback for the Schwarzkopf coaster. Some trees have been added around The Rocky Mountain Elk.

The foliage looks awful. Too many of the same trees and same size trees, perfectly lined up. Vary it up with smaller trees, other styles, random patterns, and bushes.

I'm sorry if you think that the foliage is monotonous and boring. However, I like to make things organized, hence the perfect lines. In this update, I tried to introduce some variety.

----

June 1977

Hello. This is Craig Spencer, manager of Topaz Park. During the off-season, I hired the Salt Lake Nursery to improve the looks of our park. They added some new plants and trees. They also added park edges around the path, which makes them a little nicer.

14490223592_7af2b34ab4_o.png

When our guests first walk in, they see the giant oak tree. The nursery added some bushes around the tree and stone borders. We added benches. The oak tree is now the perfect place for our guests to relax.

14304801890_e6e5214274_o.png

As you can probably tell, the nursery has removed some of the pine trees and replaced them with bushes and flowers. It really adds some variety. We added benches and trash cans.

14490165594_02e7694d4c_o.png

Outside of our merry-go-round and Rotor, we added flowers and bushes. The flowers match with the paint job of the ride. Even though the rides look better, the merry-go-round is still unreliable.

14490164654_99d0b8bd19_o.png

Some of our guests complained that our ferris wheel didn't give much of a view. To solve this, the nursery got rid of the trees and added bushes. This will hopefully improve views.

14491436665_2ef6f6b8a4_o.png

For Skydive, the nursery removed the pine trees and added flowers, bushes, and even a pond. They also added some different trees around the area. Skydive is the first ride our guests will see, so we wanted it to look appealing.

14490219432_bf6e02aa53_o.png

For the go-karts, I wanted some kind of checkerboard near the entrance. The nursery added some black and white tulips. It creates a nice checkerboard that I really like.

14488059101_5ae36a9927_o.png

Since we spend a lot of money on landscaping, we didn't add any new rides or attractions. Next year, however, the first phase of the Boardwalk project will open (hopefully). For now, we have created a new path.

Edited by YoshiCraft2011

I really suggest that you should change the supports on the Schwarzkopf to resemble supports on an actual Schwarzkopf coaster to make it more realistic. They just look half butt to me. Also I do agree on the foilage thing, it really isn't all that great. Try changing it up a bit. You should add some fencing to your paths to, like what amusement park has no fencing around there paths to keep guest from exploring areas that there not suppose to explore. Everything else though is fine. All I am trying to do is help, so I hope you don't take my comments in a wrong way.

I really suggest that you should change the supports on the Schwarzkopf to resemble supports on an actual Schwarzkopf coaster to make it more realistic. They just look half butt to me. Also I do agree on the foilage thing, it really isn't all that great. Try changing it up a bit. You should add some fencing to your paths to, like what amusement park has no fencing around there paths to keep guest from exploring areas that there not suppose to explore. Everything else though is fine. All I am trying to do is help, so I hope you don't take my comments in a wrong way.

Although I would want to replace the supports on the Schwarzkopf, I don't think that they will be any nicer than the Old Spice Support Replacer. Every time I try to apply custom supports, I fail. They just look ugly. As for the foliage, I think it looks acceptable. Your opinion is your opinion.

The path fences, however, sounds like a great idea. They will add a touch of salt in the path and make things look nice and realistic. I will definitely add them in the next update.

Boardwalk area should be nice.

Did you get my message?

The boardwalk area should be quite nice. And yes, I replied to your message.

----

May 1978

Hello. This is Craig Spencer, manager of Topaz Park. During the off-season, our park has partnered up with Salt Lake Nursery, the same nursery that provided us with the foliage upgrade last year. With this partnership, the Salt Lake Nursery will provide us with a variety of plants. In turn, we now provide free park tickets to those who work at the nursery.

We also worked on the boardwalk during the off-season. Our construction crews are proud of their effort. I am quite excited to see the reactions from our guests. The Boardwalk won't open until June, but I have provided a sneak peek of the area.

14499185312_14a9a5a609_o.png

At the moment, the Boardwalk contains some midway games and a trampoline. The area is covered with wooden planks and nicely appointed with palm trees.

14499183902_31169cd6b0_o.png

These are the midway games. Some of them are the ring toss and bucket ball. If you win a game, you can earn a cool prize.

14313906217_dcd8772a44_o.png

This is the Topaz Trampoline. Kids and adults can bounce around and have fun. Some may even have a view of Lake Topaz.

14313757339_b53346e837_o.png

Here is the boardwalk itself. Guests can look over Lake Topaz and relax. Although this is a family park, some couples might find the boardwalk a romantic place.

Once again, the Boardwalk will open next month. It can be accessed by entering the paths that were once blocked off. I will definitely be looking for guest feedback, since that is the only way your park can improve.

I hope you expand the boardwalk some day and add carnival games and small rides (ferris wheel, carousel, loop-o-plane, Waveswinger, etc.). I like that you took the time to use custom scenery on your paths and use fencing & borders to make a more realistic approach. Keep up the good work!

I hope you expand the boardwalk some day and add carnival games and small rides (ferris wheel, carousel, loop-o-plane, Waveswinger, etc.). I like that you took the time to use custom scenery on your paths and use fencing & borders to make a more realistic approach. Keep up the good work!

Thank you! The boardwalk is far from complete. I will add a restaurant, more flats, and more games.

^Excellent. This could be something spectacular.

Your coaster is finished.

The Boardwalk will be quite amazing.

I have received the track file. Thanks!

----

August 1978

Sandra Stevens, Mother

I have been working at the Salt Lake Nursery for about two years. This year, they entered a partnership with this place called "Topaz Park". There is a ticket lying on my desk that's about to expire. I grabbed my 10 year old son, Jack, and told him about it.

Apparently, Jack knew about this place. His classmates were talking about the park all the time. Jack was eager to go to the park. I agreed to spend part of my Saturday at Topaz Park. The day before, I purchased a child's ticket from the park.

When I showed my ticket to the lady, she was questioning the authenticity of my ticket. This was a free admission ticket, so I understood. However, the park gave the ticket to me. The lady decided to call the park manager. He said that the ticket was real and allowed us to pass through.

14323054869_20802b20bc_o.png

Once we passed the gates, I was amazed on how nice this park looked! The Salt Lake Nursery must have done a fine job. Just after I took this photo, however, Jack tugged me. He wanted to ride on the go-karts.

14323054239_246743dd0b_o.png

Unfortunately for him, the go-karts were closed. No reason was given. Jack then wanted to ride the wooden coaster.

14508288624_50a6c41c7f_o.png

Well, what do you know? The roller coaster is also closed. Again, no reason was given. This is a bad start.

14323204907_ef66b9bcee_o.png

As we were walking, I found this little cafe. I ordered a frappe drink while Jack ordered a chocolate chip cookie. The frappe was delicious! There's just the right amount of coffee and chocolate.

14323051879_71a6a758fd_o.png

Jack noticed this ride as we walked by. It was the rotor. We both had no idea what it was, so we just got on. It was a bad idea. This ride spins you around and the floor drops. You're sticking on the wall! Jack said that it was awesome, while I became dizzy.

14506257831_730c3fac5f_o.png

This ride was broken. Once again, no reason was specified. Why doesn't this park tell us any reasons?

14323202807_23d000cac3_o.png

As we walked to the end, Jack noticed this roller coaster. He said that there was a loop. Since I don't want to be any more dizzy, I just passed.

14323055078_190210e9a8_o.png

This ride was Skydive. You basically ride on a basket to the top. Beautiful views, but I'm concerned about my safety.

14322992890_4b0a7bacd2_o.png

As day turned into night, Jack wanted to go to the boardwalk. These were the games. He wanted to play them so badly, but I didn't allow him to. Those things make you waste money.

14322992300_ee2492d27a_o.png

The other thing in the boardwalk was the trampoline. We both passed. In the end, this area was disappointing and was a waste of time.

14529758413_09e14bc7c9_o.png

This was one final shot of Skydive. Overall, this park was a disappointment. Some rides were closed and others just sucked.

However, as we walked through, a man approached us. He was the park manager. He apologized about the ticket fiasco situation. I then started to complain about things, like the closed rides. The manager was very calm and explained everything. After this, he gave me this postcard.

14509651215_22178b0f86_o.png

It wasn't just a postcard, though. There were coupons for park tickets. That was nice. I might give this place another try, but I won't guaranteed it.

It's unfortunate that Sandra had an unpleasant experience, especially since she visited on a whim.

I like the look of the pathways and how the scenery / shrubbery blends in with it, nice aesthetics overall. It's odd that Go-Karts & Topaz Whip were down for the day with no explanation. But I do wonder what could be keeping Beehive Down

The boardwalk area seems very serene and calm, it maintains the "vibe" of the park well. Although I still do think that a flat-prominent boardwalk area would be a huge crowd draw for the park. The Rocky Mountain Elk seems to be the only thing that could really attract crowds from a distance.

Eagerly awaiting the next update!

new message

It's unfortunate that Sandra had an unpleasant experience, especially since she visited on a whim.

I like the look of the pathways and how the scenery / shrubbery blends in with it, nice aesthetics overall. It's odd that Go-Karts & Topaz Whip were down for the day with no explanation. But I do wonder what could be keeping Beehive Down

The boardwalk area seems very serene and calm, it maintains the "vibe" of the park well. Although I still do think that a flat-prominent boardwalk area would be a huge crowd draw for the park. The Rocky Mountain Elk seems to be the only thing that could really attract crowds from a distance.

Eagerly awaiting the next update!

Thanks for the nice comments! Topaz Whip was experiencing some minor technical issues. Beehive and the go-karts were closed because, well, you'll see. This park is intended for the locals, which explains the small size at the moment. However, the Boardwalk is far from over. Topaz Park will no longer be for the locals in the coming years.

The park is looking good so far. It has a nice family feel with a decent collection of rides. Just a suggestion from me would be to add a paddle boat ride to the dock as it would compliment the park nicely.

I'm glad that you like my park. The paddle boats sound like a great idea. It would compliment the area nicely. However, this might come at a later date.

----

October 1978

Hello. This is Craig Spencer, manager of Topaz Park. As some of you may know, Beehive, our wooden coaster, was closed down at the beginning of August of this year. The go-karts were also closed down.

These rides won't go anywhere anytime soon. I have hired John Walks, a person that specializes in "thrills". John wanted Beehive to have its track layout changed, even though the coaster was only nine years old. He said that this new layout will attract more people. A sketch of the re-designed coaster is below.

14344517268_c3413e41fa_c.jpg

This new track layout includes a higher drop, more hills, and a re-designed helix. I think the GP will love the re-designed coaster, now known as Twisted Beehive.

14344450040_58a8798b8e_c.jpg

Also coming next year is the Boardwalk Eats restaurant, where our guests can munch on a delicious meal of burgers and fries.

I cannot wait for the public's reaction to Twisted Beehive. It's going to be great.

----

Notes

I would like to give credit of Twisted Beehive to JonnyRCT3, creator of Valley Hills. He managed to re-design the ride while still keeping the same general layout. Do check the topic out, because the park is great and the story is good.

• 1 month later...

June 1979

Hello. This is Craig again, manager of Topaz Park.

Last month, our season began with the opening of the Boardwalk restaurants as well as the new, re-configured Beehive, now known as Twisted Beehive.

14646661738_f297a4f3d0_c.jpg

Look at that drop! The new Twisted Beehive has more drops, is faster, and is more intense, while still having a similar track layout.

14830209321_ef7a8eb2c9_c.jpg

But is the investment worth it? The coaster only runs on one train and is generally a walk-on.

14646630429_34788d6d71_c.jpg

It looks like our Alpine Cafe is drawing in the crowds!

14646657828_87a035ca6f_c.jpg

Guests are boarding The Rocky Mountain Elk. This was, hands down, the best decision in park history.

14646564060_8cfdac12dd_c.jpg

Over in the Boardwalk, you can see the Boardwalk Eats, where you can eat a tasty burger and drink an ice-cold Coca-Cola.

14833278115_b9430d30d8_c.jpg

Who put that sign over there?! Oh well. Here's a sneak peek of one of our next rides.

Twisted Beehive looks awesome!

I really like the look of Alpine Cafe and Boardwalk Eats.

I'm suspecting a Huss swinging ship. No, I'm nearly certain.

It's not a swinging ship. But you know what's next.

-----

The Salt Lake Times

Sunday, August 5, 1979

14652105628_8cb872b177_c.jpg

Fun in Utah - Topaz Park

TOPAZ, UTAH - Are your children bored? Do they want to go somewhere different? Some of us at The Salt Lake Times took some time yesterday visiting Topaz Park. Opened in 1961, this park seemed like an excellent park for families near the Salt Lake City area. Tickets are just around $15 for adults and $10 for children under 13. It's just an hour away from Salt Lake City.

14858583583_6da174f094_c.jpg

This park has two roller coasters that are both very thrilling. One is a wooden one that will make you bounce and shout. The other one is a looping coaster where you literally hang upside down. Topaz Park also has some other rides, like a parachute drop that gives you panoramic views, a go-kart track so you can race with friends and foes, and a trampoline where you can bounce up high.

14815732866_2bf2fe0721_c.jpg

Topaz Park is not just about the rides, though. It's the overall atmosphere. The park has partnered up with the Salt Lake Nursery to make the park look nice by adding fencing, trees, and plants. We thought that they did a good job. There's also a little Boardwalk area on the artificial Lake Topaz. This section has games and theming, but there's not much to it.

14838703415_16a25ab628_c.jpg

Overall, Topaz Park is a nice little amusement park. It's a small park, yes, but it's a small park that will leave a smile.